Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Hey we’re doing it on time this year! It’s (almost) time for everyone’s favorite people conspiring against others while they’re giving confessionals show, Survivor Season 44! Drop the 4 and add a 4 then carry the 4, and four for the 4. Fore!

Survivor airs Wednesday, March 1st on CBS or whatever your country’s equivalent is! Check your local listings, or whatever people do in 2023 to watch tv.

:siren::siren::siren:PAY ATTENTION TO THIS: :siren::siren::siren:

Some basic rules, which should be no-brainers for pre-taped reality TV:
  • :siren:If it pertains to season 44 but has not aired, DO NOT spoil it in this thread:siren:. Keep that poo poo to Sucks or some other dumb Survivor fan site.
  • This show is now 23 years old and has repeatedly brought back previous contestants/winners (and had an all-winner season) so discussion of previous seasons is likely going to be rampant and un-spoiler-tagged. If you're spoiler averse to old seasons, tread lightly. and go watch the old seasons FFS, even the bad ones have good parts! (except 39 don't watch that one it sucks). Also of note, old seasons have a whole lot of people with bad takes on sexuality and race and gender, so buckle in for that if you go back a couple decades.
  • To that end, keep any veiled racist/sexist/misogynist bullshit out of the thread. CBS has pushed to make modern seasons of their reality TV more inclusive so let's do the same and enjoy this diverse cast of goofballs and weirdos! It has worked really well for Survivor since the season 41 ~reboot~ and we’ve had some good casts, so hopefully this will continue.

Now for all of the boiler plate poo poo for new viewers in case you've been living under a rock for the past 23 years.
What is Survivor?

Survivor is a reality show where a group of 16 to 20 or so contestants, from all walks of life, are stuck on a remote paradise and forced to live together for 39 26 days; gathering their own food, building their own shelter, and purifying their own water. The cast is split into opposing, equal teams, called tribes. The tribes must work together to form a community, in the hopes of one contestant becoming the Sole Survivor and winning one million dollars. At least one contestant is voted off every episode.

A typical Survivor season has three phases. Pre-Merge, Post-Merge, and Endgame.

• Pre-Merge: Roughly the first half of the game. The tribes compete against each other twice each episode. First for a reward, and second for tribal immunity. Tribes that fail the immunity challenge will be forced to vote one of their own members out at the end of the episode.

• Post-Merge: The tribes are merged together. Players are now playing for individual immunity and all players will participate in voting out a player from the tribe.

• Endgame: Once 5-7 players or so remain, the show reaches the End game phase. Usually the very strong core alliances are shaken up here as people try to reach the end or placate the jury. The last nine players voted out before the final tribal council will join a Jury that will decide who will win of the final three (sometimes two) players.

This Season's Gimmick

The past 3 seasons have been 26 days, down from the former 39 (and AUS Survivor's FIFTY) and per Lord Jeff, this is the new standard (because it’s cheaper and despite the show always winning its time slot and making gobs of money and the prize pot not increasing with inflation, they still are shaving off costs because capitalism). They are starting with no food/rice/supplies so the game is intended to be harder from the start to compensate for a shorter season. Old school players say this is bullshit, new school players say it’s way harder…who knows, either way it prob sucks.

Jeff said that these seasons are back to basics which we all assumed meant less twists and by golly wouldn't you know it but all 3 that we’ve had were chock full of twists and stupid advantages galore and it was worse than usual but at least the people were cool. Some of the twists we saw in 41/42 (hourglass, do or die) are gone which is great but there will still be stuff like shot in the dark still in the game. One major note is that casting has been far better than the dark ages of recruits & mactors (see below).

Supplemental Material

• Rob has a Podcast: Available on whatever podcast app you use or YouTube or their website. His powerhouse podcast network does about a million podcasts a week discussing the latest episodes events, interviewing the player who was voted out that episode, and provides theories about strategy. This podcast provides insight into the game that was not aired on the show. It is heavily referenced in this thread.

• Twitter: Survivors poo poo on each other, shill for their crap, and every once in a while tweet something that's actually amusing. Beware, it is twitter so it’s for sure the worst.

• YouTube: The Official YouTube Channel kinda sucks now and formerly put out videos of the voted off castaways going to Ponderosa and their experiences there, but now they’ve cut out doing that too and just put together stupid clips from the show that are glorified commercials. There are still some weird cell phone video Ponderosa videos that turn up on youtube but it’s not official CBS stuff as far as I can tell, or maybe I’m just old and don’t know how they’re marketing it to these newfangled shorts or clips or whatever they’re called.

• Australian Survivor - It's out there, there are many seasons of it and it's all very good! The seasons are longer, the episodes are longer, the contestants are Austrailianer and Aussie Probst is cool and good. Where do I watch it though? Ask in thread or search old threads, there's tons of info out there, or if you're not living in 1994 you probably have a VPN and are savvy enough to figure it out. There is a season for them airing right now so check it out if you have the time/desire. Also, Survivor South Africa is good, particularly the last couple of seasons, so check that out too if you're fiending for more.

Glossary of Terms

• Blindside: When a tribal council seems to be set up so one or one of two possible players are getting eliminated, but somehow either a secret coalition or a surprising idol play makes it so someone else is voted out instead. :blindside:

• "The Edit": Survivor is a show to entertain. It is produced and edited in a way to give players a streamlined personality and to create as much tension before Tribal Council as possible.

• Goat: A useless, awful, or crazy person that is not being voted out of the game specifically so a player can look like a more desirable final survivor to the jury compared to the goat.

• HII: Hidden Immunity Idol. They are hidden around the island. Clues will be given that could reveal their location. One-use item that a player can use after the votes are cast (but before they are read) at Tribal Council to nullify votes against that person. They can't be used at Final Four player or later.

• Mactor: Portmanteau of "Model/Actor". A player who doesn't know the game very well and are just using it to further their career.

• Pagonged: Going into post-merge, it's the act of voting out the former members of your opposing tribe before voting out the former members of your original tribe. It's the reason it's important to win tribal immunity pre-merge so that you outnumber the opposing tribe members in post-merge.

• Pony/Poison: After the new season's cast is announced, thread members will pick a "Pony" (someone they think is awesome and will win) and a "Poison" (someone they think will suck and/or be an annoying rear end in a top hat they hope will lose or just simply suffer)

• Purple Rocks: In the event of a tie at Tribal Council, there is a revote, with only the people receiving the most votes being eligible to receive votes during that revote. If the revote also ends in a tie, Survivors draw rocks. Whichever player draws the differently colored rock is eliminated from the game.

• Splitting the vote/Flushing the Idol: An alliance that splits its votes between two members to counter a potential idol play. If one of those two players plays a Hidden Immunity Idol, there will still be enough players voting for the other guy to vote them out. This strategy can be risky.

Time for the cast! Going to split this up into two posts because this season I actually put in some modicum of effort! If you for some reason want to see last season’s thread it lives here. Otherwise dig in for another hopefully good season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Time to meet the latest slag for the meat grinder. Beware, I’ve gone down an AI art rabbit hole so some of the images here are what an artificial intelligence has determined represents these people/things. Their factual accuracy is 100% perfect.

BOW DOWN BEFORE THE KING OF SURVIVOR JEFF PROBST

Here is an early season preview from the end of s43!
and here is a detailed breakdown of every cast member & their answers to the classic pregame questions!

Tika Tribe

This tribe has more fingers than any other tribe and also has a guy who is part gun.

Carolyn Wiger

Former drug addict who is in recovery and is now counseling others in their own recovery, which is awesome. Claims she is a lot like Noura (s39) so we’re definitely in for a treat here. She’s the nutcup in the above ^^ video with the insane confessional, so she’s got big Coach energy.

Helen Li

Speaking of AI generation, I think she used an AI to generate all of her pregame answers because they read like the most boring possible version of every answer.

Sarah Wade

Notes that she is most like Natalie, but doesn’t specify if it’s Natalie Anderson, Natalie Bolton, Natalie Tenerelli, Natalie White, or Natalie Cole so I’m not sure how to take this. For maximum hilarity I hope it’s Natalie Cole & would vastly prefer that it is.

Bruce Perreault

Made the big move from his hometown Warwick, R.I. over to his current residence of West Warwick. R.I. gently caress regular Warwick am I right folks? Also, I think from the above video this may be the person who super dies in what appears to be the first challenge, so maybe analyze that video and adjust your fantasy Survivor accordingly

Carson Garrett

Holy poo poo this guy. Might have the most verbose and in-depth-pat-self-on-the-back bio of anyone we’ve seen this side of Swathi, and appears to have spent his entire childhood preparing for this, so I’m looking forward to his spectacular flare-out and extremely early boot. Also, apparently has set up a merch site for himself already that he’s promoting (survivorcarson.com) so this bozo is definitely first out.

YAM YAM

This guy is the poo poo, he’s been the poo poo, and he’ll probably remain the poo poo. You can’t be named YAM YAM and not crush it. Our first introduction to him is “Poop in the ocean? BRING IT!”

My prediction is obviously the Tika tribe is the good TV tribe. This group looks nuts, and despite having a couple who look like boring duds I think the top tier characters in here will carry the day pretty well,.

Ratu Tribe

From the mean streets of Fiji, this karate gang with white-ish-black-ish belts is going to either kick some rear end or maybe learn their first kick I dunno.

Brandon Cottom

Said “lol” in his answer and I like to believe that this was spoken, not written.

Kane Fritzler

Don’t see much of this guy in the pre-game materials they’ve put out, but he named his dog “Survivor” which is unhinged so I’m here for it. I named my dogs “NYPD Blue” and “Murder in Small Town X” so this feels totally normal.

Matthew Grinstead-Mayle

This is the guy that beefs it on that cliff so he may be dead right now who knows. His bio makes him seem like a very affable person and I can’t even make fun of him because he seems very nice. Not just saying that because he may be dead.

Jaime Lynne Ruiz

Started reading her bio and decided this woman is going to be A LOT, then she compared herself to Angelina, so I’m back in and here for the bus fire. She wrote “Relationship building is EVERYTHING” twice in her bio so definitely has big cult energy.

Lauren Harpe

Purposefully beats her kids in Mario Kart. Respect.

Maddy Pomilla

Is one of 5 daughters so quick prayer for her dad right here. She is one of the few to mention Cirie (oddly, since she’s usually in every bio) so maybe she’ll be good. At least she doesn’t reference Erika like half of this cast :v:

Soka Tribe

So I guess this tribe is mostly centaurs and/or horse riders but they are pretty ripped so they probably will win. Water challenges going to be interesting. I like them for winning the murderball challenge.

Claire Rafson

A 25 year old with the job title “Tech Investor” leads me to believe she probably hasn’t faced much adversity and is going to buckle pretty hard here.

Frannie Marin

Her two inspirations are Sophie and the Scarlet Witch. Looking forward to some epic eye rolls and her creating an entire fictional dimension for everyone to live in.

Heidi Lagares-Greenblatt

Aims to be half as good as Sandra, AND SHE CAN GET LOUD TOO WHAT THE gently caress

Danny Massa

This dude actually kinda feels like he is pretty grounded, from his bio. Might be seen as too big of a threat in the end, or he also has the potential for Big Rodney Energy.

Joshua Wilder

This dude referenced Survivor NZ in his bio and nobody blinked an eye or identified who that person is. Does CBS even read these?

Matthew Blankinship

Doesn’t like peanut butter so we won’t be seeing him topless.

Okay that’s it! Remember THE SHOW STARTS WEDNESDAY MARCH 1st so go watch Australian or South African Survivor, or I guess New Zealand if you want to learn who Avi is. Pick your ponies and poisons, cast looks pretty awesome this season!

Fantasy Survivor link will live below once it’s created. Someone tag me and I’ll up date OP.

Sighence posted:

I mean if we just need someone to hit the button fine.

Join code:
6c9186af-5948-4c91-bb87-fa44292e1ab1

SweetJahasus fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 20, 2023

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I can't wait for 44's Tribal Councils to have even more meaningless analogies about "being in the driver's Seat" vs "riding in the back of the bus"

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

:siren: Drama Alert :siren:
Carson, NASA Engineering Intern Student, is already selling his own merch lmao https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/10v4otd/carson_from_s44_is_already_promoting_his_merch/

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I think that's already in the OP

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

SweetJahasus posted:

Time to meet the latest slag for the meat grinder. Beware, I’ve gone down an AI art rabbit hole so some of the images here are what an artificial intelligence has determined represents these people/things. Their factual accuracy is 100% perfect.

Helen Li

Speaking of AI generation, I think she used an AI to generate all of her pregame answers because they read like the most boring possible version of every answer.

That's every one of the cast from at minimum 41 onward tbh

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i get big "millionaire at 20" vibes from that person

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Studio posted:

Carson, NASA Engineering Intern Student, is already selling his own merch lmao https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/10v4otd/carson_from_s44_is_already_promoting_his_merch/

The thing that strikes me most about this insane decision is not the site or the things he's selling...it's the ridiculous 13 year old girl texting her BFF spelling he does, for allegedly being some genius.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Carolyn is from here so I am legally obligated to pick her as my Pony

Carson seems like too obvious of a poison so I'm going to pick Joshua because his head looks weird

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Studio posted:

My home town continues to stay loving classy.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe season 44 will have more than 2 memorable people.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

SweetJahasus posted:

The thing that strikes me most about this insane decision is not the site or the things he's selling...it's the ridiculous 13 year old girl texting her BFF spelling he does, for allegedly being some genius.

it has real crypto guy vibes with the spelling and emoji and stuff, certainly

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Pony: Frannie
Poison: Carson

Wow this might be the least likable cast for me in the new era, at least off bios. Poison was an eight-way tie before I saw that storefront.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sighence posted:

Wow this might be the least likable cast for me in the new era, at least off bios. Poison was an eight-way tie before I saw that storefront.

What makes them unlikable? I only skimmed them, but it seemed like they're still going with the angle of giving everyone a sob story, and downplay any interpersonal conflict amongst the cast like they've been doing in the new era.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Sighence posted:

Excuse me but Yam Yam

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Can't decide between Danny or Matthew, but I'm gonna risk it and say

Pony: Danny

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

So the novelty twist of this season is still the budget cuts right? Bah humbug¡!!!!!!!!!!!

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Lampsacus posted:

So the novelty twist of this season is still the budget cuts right? Bah humbug¡!!!!!!!!!!!

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

What makes them unlikable? I only skimmed them, but it seemed like they're still going with the angle of giving everyone a sob story, and downplay any interpersonal conflict amongst the cast like they've been doing in the new era.

Just going off the bios given the ones I disliked they all shared a lack of depth to them. I've not yet watched the videos so for example Yam Yam (not that he was necessarily on my poison list) I haven't gotten to hear about him wanting to poo poo in the ocean yet.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Pony: gotta be Yam Yam come on
Poison: Carson’s merch lmao

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Pony: Yam Yam
Poison: I remember a clip where... Bruce? Looked super hosed up. Bruce

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I know we’re on the drop the 4, carry the 4 hype but the tribal council in episode 7 of Australian Heroes vs. Villains might quite possibly be the best tribal council of the franchise. This season has been really great so far in spite of some question production choices.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Dugong posted:

I know we’re on the drop the 4, carry the 4 hype but the tribal council in episode 7 of Australian Heroes vs. Villains might quite possibly be the best tribal council of the franchise. This season has been really great so far in spite of some question production choices.
oo thanks for the heads up. do i need to see x/any number of Australian survivor first to 'get it'?? as the heroes v villains seems to imply returneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Lampsacus posted:

oo thanks for the heads up. do i need to see x/any number of Australian survivor first to 'get it'?? as the heroes v villains seems to imply returneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

Do yourself a favor and watch all the Aus survivor you can stomach. It's good.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lampsacus posted:

Probably not, Australian Survivor at least takes the time to let you know who the survivors are. You might miss the big picture, but they cover who has grudges and who got voted out by who...

(And the get to know this Survivor segments isn't just, my "X" relative died whoa is me)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Probably not, Australian Survivor at least takes the time to let you know who the survivors are. You might miss the big picture, but they cover who has grudges and who got voted out by who...

(And the get to know this Survivor segments isn't just, my "X" relative died whoa is me)

I feel like that particular tribal council would benefit from you having seen Brains V Brawn

Speaking of tribal council, is the fantasy league running this year? Just got the email

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm only 12/18 through the RHAP interviews for this cast and it's really dragging. I usually eat these up but I'm kind of bored, honestly. At least with my expectations low it'll be hard to be disappointed.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

This season of Aus rampantly spoils other seasons though, even if the winner of the season isn't on this cast, so be prepared for that in case you wanted to watch the others.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ok, im starting Australian Survivor starting with s8 brain vs brawn. It's grand! Lots the cast is actually trying really hard, so far, as of e2.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Lampsacus posted:

Ok, im starting Australian Survivor starting with s8 brain vs brawn. It's grand! Lots the cast is actually trying really hard, so far, as of e2.

That's where I started. Gooooood poo poo.

I went 8 -> 9, then heard 10 was somewhat of an all-stars and went back and binged the rest (well not 1 and 2 cause they're from 2006 and unrelated to the current show)

The actual all-stars season (7) was fantastic. They did an incredible job picking the cast.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah it seems the actual best way to watch Australian would be 3 onward but egh i want to see the more current stuff! And with the length of content per season it's just great 😊

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

101 posted:

Speaking of tribal council, is the fantasy league running this year? Just got the email

Also interested if anyone has made a league

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i need to redeem myself

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Join code:

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Sighence posted:

Join code:

Thanks for pushing the button. Joined

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Thanks for pushing the button. Joined

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Sighence posted:

Join code:

OP updated with this info

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I am excite for new season of Survivor!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Brief UK Survivor news, host has been announced as shouty youth type Joel Domett. Not convinced at all he's the right choice but at least I could believe he's watched an episode of Survivor before.

Stephen Fry is apparently being set up to host a 5th attempt at making Jeopardy work in the UK too so we're all about new attempts at US shows we massively hosed up 20 years ago right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

njsykora posted:

Brief UK Survivor news, host has been announced as shouty youth type Joel Domett. Not convinced at all he's the right choice but at least I could believe he's watched an episode of Survivor before.

Stephen Fry is apparently being set up to host a 5th attempt at making Jeopardy work in the UK too so we're all about new attempts at US shows we massively hosed up 20 years ago right now.

We'll loan you our spare Jeopardy host if you send Alex Horne back over for another go at US Taskmaster.

Rereading these cast bios for my drafts and oh man does everyone have recent winner syndrome. I wanted to dislike the firefighter for wanting to play like Jeremy because 🚒 but wow having five Erikas won't go like how any of you expect.