Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

glassyalabolas posted:

I'm a bit surprised they didn't announce DLC or a season pass.

Could it be that they don't intend to offer DLC finally?

probably waiting for launch, either just before or after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They did announce the BOTW DLC about six weeks from launch, so it would've been here huh. I'd like to think that part of the reason this game's 70 is that any DLC plans ended up being folded into the main game, and is part of why it took so long.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Whatever the DLC ends up being, I want the mega awesome reward to be a cool sleek looking fighter craft you can fly around and shoot enemies with and drop bombs from with very little restrictions. Hell just give us a Zonai looking Arwing.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

https://youtu.be/Kbwl62fiO88

Reward should be a literal low poly Arwing that follows you around like Wolf Link.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I keep meaning to ask this, but should I know what the Zonai are? I admit I didn't finish Twilight Princess and I still haven't gotten to Skyward Sword even in the remake, so have I missed something in there because everybody else seems to know what's up.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Winifred Madgers posted:

I keep meaning to ask this, but should I know what the Zonai are? I admit I didn't finish Twilight Princess and I still haven't gotten to Skyward Sword even in the remake, so have I missed something in there because everybody else seems to know what's up.

I don't think they were any previous games but there are a bunch of Zonai ruins in BotW, mostly around the jungle area. They seem to have kind of a Mayan Aztec Mesoamerican vibe and also like dragons.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 30, 2023

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Winifred Madgers posted:

there were introduced in BotW, and even then only via item descriptions and area names. We "know" them from their ruins, which are vaguely Mayan in design

Especially talented lore lords spotted things associated with Zonai in the earliest trailers. Otherwise they are a total mystery, other than perhaps being linked to the events of 10,000 years ago given that their ruins are older than the Hylian ones

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MokBa posted:

I don't think they were any previous games but there are a bunch of Zonai ruins in BotW, mostly around the jungle area. They seem to have kind of a Mayan vibe and also like dragons.

related?

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/Tokay

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Honestly when the second teaser dropped and I saw a YouTuber talking about Zonai stuff this is what I thought they meant. Seemed like a deep cut but I was down for it. Even though I loving hate those guys and their trading quest though.

I’d love if they brought back more races. Tokay and Subrosians could lend themselves to some very cool designs in 3D. They even went and made brand new species for Skyward Sword that already feel memory holed.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WarpDogs posted:

there were introduced in BotW, and even then only via item descriptions and area names. We "know" them from their ruins, which are vaguely Mayan in design

Especially talented lore lords spotted things associated with Zonai in the earliest trailers. Otherwise they are a total mystery, other than perhaps being linked to the events of 10,000 years ago given that their ruins are older than the Hylian ones

Well that makes me feel better. I only just recently, playing Link's Awakening DX, learned that the Hinox was not a new enemy. And I only learned that the mid-boss in a dungeon that I had fought was a Hinox after the fact due to having to look up something else in a guide, I didn't put 2 and 2 together that a large cyclops would be a Hinox.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I actually liked the Mogmas, I'd be down to see them again.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Isn't there concept art of Link interacting with tiny people that might be BotW's version of the Minish?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
wait, zonai only showed up in BotW? then where the hell did the name come from? as far as i know we have a bunch of ruins but no text naming them - i figured they were just a race from one of the 2D games that i'd never played.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
It seems the Zonai predate the Sheikah and use more of a nature/spirit magic vs. the Sheikah's pure magitech. I think the Zonai are to the Sheikah what the Sheikah are to current Hylians, a.k.a. far more ancient but also far more advanced. The Zonai were building megaprojects that still exist like the Labyrinths and Faron region ruins.

My theorycrafting is that the Sheikah defeated Ganon 10,000 years ago but that was still only the most recent of many other resurrections of Ganon. The Zonai were the original group who imprisoned Ganondorf tens of thousands of years before even the Sheikah and the Malice version of him has been resurrecting since. So, it's like the Sheikah were combating the symptom, not the problem. After the events of BotW, Zelda and Link investigate why there still seems to be lingering evil after the banishment of the Calamity only to find a Zonai construct keeping the physical body of Ganondorf neutralized. Something happens and Ganondorf is freed, but in the breaking of the spell, it activates the super ancient Zonai tech that the Sheikah had literally built on top of. Among the Zonai tech are the floating islands but also Link's new arm and a prophecy on how to defeat Ganon for good.

It's also possible Ganon's first move is to eradicate Sheikah constructs because they pose a threat. The Divine Beasts and Guardians can no longer be corrupted so he simply wipes them out or renders them completely inoperable. I would kind of like to see the Divine Beasts make a return (with the Champions) and have a more active role in the plot.

One thing is for sure, the explanation for the Sheikah's absence will be in the first cutscene of the game. There has to be a reason the Heroes can't use the last game's macguffins and everyone who played BotW is going to wonder where all the Towers, Shrines, and Divine Beasts went.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

FooF posted:

It seems the Zonai predate the Sheikah and use more of a nature/spirit magic vs. the Sheikah's pure magitech. I think the Zonai are to the Sheikah what the Sheikah are to current Hylians, a.k.a. far more ancient but also far more advanced. The Zonai were building megaprojects that still exist like the Labyrinths and Faron region ruins.

My theorycrafting is that the Sheikah defeated Ganon 10,000 years ago but that was still only the most recent of many other resurrections of Ganon. The Zonai were the original group who imprisoned Ganondorf tens of thousands of years before even the Sheikah and the Malice version of him has been resurrecting since. So, it's like the Sheikah were combating the symptom, not the problem. After the events of BotW, Zelda and Link investigate why there still seems to be lingering evil after the banishment of the Calamity only to find a Zonai construct keeping the physical body of Ganondorf neutralized. Something happens and Ganondorf is freed, but in the breaking of the spell, it activates the super ancient Zonai tech that the Sheikah had literally built on top of. Among the Zonai tech are the floating islands but also Link's new arm and a prophecy on how to defeat Ganon for good.

It's also possible Ganon's first move is to eradicate Sheikah constructs because they pose a threat. The Divine Beasts and Guardians can no longer be corrupted so he simply wipes them out or renders them completely inoperable. I would kind of like to see the Divine Beasts make a return (with the Champions) and have a more active role in the plot.

One thing is for sure, the explanation for the Sheikah's absence will be in the first cutscene of the game. There has to be a reason the Heroes can't use the last game's macguffins and everyone who played BotW is going to wonder where all the Towers, Shrines, and Divine Beasts went.
immediate theory as to why sheikah poo poo breaks/is not around in totk: ganondorf was essentially sealed as a giant battery and used to power everything. Him being wired into everything and being (quite reasonably) pissed about this is what causes the malice to leak out. The Sheikah figured that having a giant ghost boar that shows up every couple thousand years that they can just smack down again with robots was a reasonable tradeoff for making cool glowy robots and poo poo! Unfortunately for them ganon figured out how to hack things and whoops, lets maybe put the giant superweapons into the ground and never touch them again.
Then the hylians went digging underground and went "Oh! These big cool weapons have to be related to that old prophecy about malignant evil returning, we should turn them on!! :downs:" and ganon went to town.

TotK will start with zelda going "hey when i was in a weird goddess-powered time seal keeping ganon under lock and key while you got your poo poo together, i figured out where the malice was actually coming from because i had nothing else to do. wanna go poke at it??" and then you go down there, unintentionally release ganondorf, and therefore break all the sheikah tech because they no longer have an extremely powerful dessicated wizard to use as a power source.

will this be canon: almost certainly not. but golly gee it sure is fun to speculate, isn't it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

someone help this bitchass korok

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I hope Ganon pieces himself back together like in the Mummy. But he’s getting his parts from regular Hylian citizens and ends up looking like a generic NPC.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They were going to announce TotK DLC but it got too vicious so it's going to be the next game instead.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

zelda and ganondorf were in hyrule castle making babies and i saw one of the babies and the baby looked at me

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Blaziken386 posted:

wait, zonai only showed up in BotW? then where the hell did the name come from? as far as i know we have a bunch of ruins but no text naming them - i figured they were just a race from one of the 2D games that i'd never played.

It's the name of a set of ruins in the jungle area in BotW. I think it was also mentioned in one of the official guides or artbooks?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Blaziken386 posted:

there was an artbook that fleshed things out beyond what's in botw and confirmed that the name of the ancient barbarian tribe is the zonai

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This may be a controversial opinion, but I stand by this hot take:

I'm really looking forward to playing Tears of the Kingdom.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Kassad posted:

It's the name of a set of ruins in the jungle area in BotW. I think it was also mentioned in one of the official guides or artbooks?

Also one of the barbarian armor pieces says it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

:monocle::mods:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Looking back through, Aonuma was being really cheeky with the camera. There's a couple of times in the video that Link is near a blue shrine symbol on the map, but never quuuite looks directly at it - except during the fused-shield exhibition, when the camera swings to an angle that might see it while the puffball smoke cover is obscuring it.

The coordinates on the minimap are also still interesting by implications. They're 4 digit numbers, everything in the video is in the positive range for the X value, negative range for the Y value, and positive range for the Z value. The closest it gets to the 0000 value on X is when Link gets knocked off by the Construct (he hits 0047 during the fall), the closest to 0000 on Y is when Link's demonstrating the Keese-eye arrow fusion (-1013 at one point), and surface level is where 0000 should be (closet Link gets that I noticed is when he hits the river, at 0006 for a moment). There's still a lot of map in all directions to be seen during the fall so I presume everything in the video is in the southeastern quadrant of the map, pressing up on the middle. And, of course, there may be extensive underground/underwater sights if the Z level goes negative.

The island Link uses Recall to reach is about 0500 on the Z axis while the bigger island after that is about 1500 on the Z axis.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If you're looking forward to this game so much why don't you marry it

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Khanstant posted:

If you're looking forward to this game so much why don't you marry it

well maybe I will :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
married to the game
rupees on my chain

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Hogama posted:

Looking back through, Aonuma was being really cheeky with the camera.

I just watched the video a 2nd time and "cheeky" really describes the whole thing. lots of clever camera work and cuts, and I have to imagine leaving the UI on was a deliberate choice

The Zonai connection is confirmed via item drop names. They could have disabled those, but they left them

Link looks like a wildman with a hosed up arm, but he doesn't mention it even in passing, nor does he bring up the master sword (?) ability. they could have started the demo toggled to one of the abilities they were going to introduce, but they didn't

he's about to run into a cave, you can clearly see it's a deep one with a path that curves onwards to the left, but no, we're here to show off Ascend and then the footage cuts to something else the moment he's about to re-enter it.

so many things that show up in the background that are quickly passed over. the friendly / animal-like constructs, a dragon in the sky, some kind of storm looking thing; the camera doesn't try to hide any of them but they're never remarked on

maybe I'm giving Nintendo too much credit, but it feels like a video deliberately created for the people who make or enjoy those hours long analysis videos

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

WarpDogs posted:

nor does he bring up the master sword (?) ability. they could have started the demo toggled to one of the abilities they were going to introduce, but they didn't
Speaking of, AND being cheeky, the OLED model video doesn't show the backs of the joycons except very blurred at one moment. This goes more into spoilers that aren't deliberate from Nintendo presentations, but there's some symbols there.

The left side of the picture is just the Recall symbol, but I don't believe the right side has been spotted yet.
Plus there's this pin that comes with the Collector's Deluxe edition (this one can be seen on the official video for the contents - there's 4 in the box, including that one only partially visible in frame) that doesn't match any symbols seen yet.

Could be tied to more abilities, as well.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

WarpDogs posted:

I have to imagine leaving the UI on was a deliberate choice

It was for sure, that's why I'm leaning towards the coordinate numbers on the minimap being in the final game. It would be strange to say the game's finished and show the HUD if it still had debug stuff in it.

E: Also noteworthy how he doesn't show the menus or the map at all. Also the map seems to have layers? When he's on the sky island they're shown on the minimap but when he gets down to the surface, it's completely blank again.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 30, 2023

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I bet there's going to be a lot of secret little areas high into the sky, far below ground and potentially to the sides of the map that you need ascend, descend, and clever gliding to reach. I have a feeling they were inspired a lot by Elden Ring in terms of map scale and using it to inspire awe through warps etc.

I know it's a stretch but I'm kind of hoping there's some kind of moon dungeon/area calling back to Majora's Mask

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

WarpDogs posted:

maybe I'm giving Nintendo too much credit, but it feels like a video deliberately created for the people who make or enjoy those hours long analysis videos

It's totally got that feel to it, like even the dragon accidentally passing for a few frames seems intentional. They're not showing all the cards but they certainly keep waving them around.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Gwely Mernans posted:

I know it's a stretch but I'm kind of hoping there's some kind of moon dungeon/area calling back to Majora's Mask
I wonder how high those islands go.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

WarpDogs posted:

Link looks like a wildman with a hosed up arm, but he doesn't mention it even in passing, nor does he bring up the master sword (?) ability. they could have started the demo toggled to one of the abilities they were going to introduce, but they didn't

I think that is just the symbol for the Fuse ability.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Khanstant posted:

They should add a Korok toggle for brain geniuses who need harder puzzles. Solving simple calculus apple equations, write a persuasive grant proposal to the great deku tree, charming cryptography cipher problems generated for each save file so no cheating online.

Black and white grid nailed to a tree all

Little guy gets knock-out, right? Right? (5)

And

New ability some doofus explains (4)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/Gamechamp3k/status/1640905127266533384

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Speaking of, I just finished watching the latest Zeltik video and he pointed out that the peaceful "Construct Rangers" (a) seem to be sweeping and doing chores, and (b) the "Talk" option appears for a second when Link disembarks from his raft near one before moving away. So you can probably talk to them. What do those little fuckers want? Are they an entire new set of NPCs with weird quests? Or will they all just have a couple of repeating lines of dialogue; kind of like the Yiga clan assassins who ambush you occasionally in Breath of the Wild? poo poo, even if that's all they are, it still implies there'll be some other constructs with a larger presence that they're foreshadowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Gwely Mernans posted:

I bet there's going to be a lot of secret little areas high into the sky, far below ground and potentially to the sides of the map that you need ascend, descend, and clever gliding to reach. I have a feeling they were inspired a lot by Elden Ring in terms of map scale and using it to inspire awe through warps etc.

As much as I'd love for Elden Ring to have inspired this game, it only came out a year ago. I guarantee you this game was almost totally complete a year ago and everything since has been bug testing and refining. But I do hope the map has been expanded outwards as well, just to give us more surprises.

I was really worried when the first teaser showed Hyrule all over again, but everything since has been reassuring. They've remixed and expanded a lot and are looking for a new way to surprise the player besides "what vista is over that hill?"