Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

There must be something in the water, with slap me and kiss me doing a speedrunning game and sandy pug doing Hellpiercers. Maybe we were all watching the same videos about speedrunning DOOM a year ago.

Assuming you guys read this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

PurpleXVI posted:

Stat out King Crimson in any system. I dare you.

We don't need to, the source material already did it for us!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Their stat cards were never any good.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Plutonis posted:

I hadn't seen that, but speedrunner in an isekai is a great concept.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, I just launched a little Kickstarter for Hellrunners, a tabletop RPG about speedrunners glitching and breaking the metaphysical rules of reality the same way they break the rules of videogames.

Use a death warp to get into the afterlife, use an item duplication glitch, get arbitrary prayer execution via a data overflow, find the soul of Karl Marx, perform a necromantic ritual, and use a wrong warp to get back out again!

There must be something in the water, with slap me and kiss me doing a speedrunning game and sandy pug doing Hellpiercers. Maybe we were all watching the same videos about speedrunning DOOM a year ago. As with any good speculative work, it also has things to say about the real world. Alongside the obvious inspirations of Dante and John Milton, there's also a big helping of David Graeber in there.

Anyway, the game is really fun, and it's cheap, so if you have any interest at all, pick it up and check it out! I'd love to be able to pay for a cool cover for it, but it was fun using public domain art for angels and demons and hell and poo poo.

If you were watching videos about speedrunning doom as inspiration the game takes place in the City at the Mouth of Ire, right?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Does anyone know of a RPG setting kind of like Doom That Came to Gotham?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Nystral posted:

Uh, the default setting of Call of Cthulhu?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

KingKalamari posted:

Uh, the default setting of Call of Cthulhu?

dur... Thank you

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Nystral posted:

I agree with KingKalamari's suggestion of the default setting of Call of Cthulhu; and although I cannot think of any direct translation of The Doom That Came to Gotham into an RPG setting, I can suggest a couple of books you may want to take ideas from.

For a more pulpy slant on Cthulhu you could look at the WW2 heroes vs Nazis and Cthulhu Mythos things game line Achtung! Cthulhu. I'm not sure about this, but I think Achtung! Cthulhu can describe superheroes (or people becoming superheroes) fighting Cthulhu. Then again I may be thinking of Godlike.

https://www.modiphius.net/en-us/collections/achtung-cthulhu

If you want a more oppressive atmosphere of horror than Call of Cthulhu, take a look at Cthulhu City, a sort of ubercity where the Old Ones reign and the players are vigilantes; fighting the Mythos, the Law and the corrupt Government. It is a really good campaign setting that I don't think gets enough play. When I think of The Doom That Came to Gotham, the despairing oppression of the comic's atmosphere reminded me of Cthulhu City.

https://pelgranepress.com/product/cthulhu-city/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you were going to go with Godlike, it would make sense to pick up the Kerberos Club, which uses the same system but is set in Victorian London.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like it'd be pretty easy to add noir era masked vigilantes to Call of Cthulhu type settings. Though maybe some more support for more formidable protagonists who have superpowers, special equipment and/or ridiculous amounts of money.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like it'd be pretty easy to add noir era masked vigilantes to Call of Cthulhu type settings. Though maybe some more support for more formidable protagonists who have superpowers, special equipment and/or ridiculous amounts of money.

Nothing good can come from being a reclusive eccentric millionaire hanging out in a cave underneath their remote mansion while wearing a mask in a Call of Cthulhu setting.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Asterite34 posted:

Nothing good can come from being a reclusive eccentric millionaire hanging out in a cave underneath their remote mansion while wearing a mask in a Call of Cthulhu setting.

Still better than the opposite, going to a party and wearing no mask.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Still better than the opposite, going to a party and wearing no mask.
No mask? No mask!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FMguru posted:

No mask? No, mask!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gotham is full of incoherent architecture covered in ever-present climbing and hiding locations, shrouded in a constant gloom, and crowded with unfathomable creatures with incomprehensible motives. It's a pretty good eldritch horror city at the best of times.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Arkham Asylum is literally named after a location from the stories. I've heard a theory that Gotham is actually based around an overgrown Innsmouth, Killer Croc's just got the Look. And reminds me of how the Joker is basically treated more as a phenomenon than a singular person. Batman basically says at one point that one reason he doesn't just kill the Joker is because he doesn't think it's likely to even stick.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Arkham Asylum is literally named after a location from the stories. I've heard a theory that Gotham is actually based around an overgrown Innsmouth, Killer Croc's just got the Look. And reminds me of how the Joker is basically treated more as a phenomenon than a singular person. Batman basically says at one point that one reason he doesn't just kill the Joker is because he doesn't think it's likely to even stick.

The Joker is clearly an aspect of Nyarlathotep.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

The Joker is clearly an aspect of Nyarlathotep.

Thats just Persona 2

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Nyarlathotep, 1920 posted:

I do not recall distinctly when it began, but it was months ago. The general tension was horrible. To a season of political and social upheaval was added a strange and brooding apprehension of hideous physical danger; a danger widespread and all-embracing, such a danger as may be imagined only in the most terrible phantasms of the night. I recall that the people went about with pale and worried faces, and whispered warnings and prophecies which no one dared consciously repeat or acknowledge to himself that he had heard. A sense of monstrous guilt was upon the land, and out of the abysses between the stars swept chill currents that made men shiver in dark and lonely places. There was a daemoniac alteration in the sequence of the seasons—the autumn heat lingered fearsomely, and everyone felt that the world and perhaps the universe had passed from the control of known gods or forces to that of gods or forces which were unknown.

And it was then that Nyarlathotep came out of Egypt. Who he was, none could tell, but he was of the old native blood and looked like a Pharaoh. The fellahin knelt when they saw him, yet could not say why. He said he had risen up out of the blackness of twenty-seven centuries, and that he had heard messages from places not on this planet. Into the lands of civilisation came Nyarlathotep, swarthy, slender, and sinister, always buying strange instruments of glass and metal and combining them into instruments yet stranger. He spoke much of the sciences—of electricity and psychology—and gave exhibitions of power which sent his spectators away speechless, yet which swelled his fame to exceeding magnitude. Men advised one another to see Nyarlathotep, and shuddered. And where Nyarlathotep went, rest vanished; for the small hours were rent with the screams of nightmare. Never before had the screams of nightmare been such a public problem; now the wise men almost wished they could forbid sleep in the small hours, that the shrieks of cities might less horribly disturb the pale, pitying moon as it glimmered on green waters gliding under bridges, and old steeples crumbling against a sickly sky.

I remember when Nyarlathotep came to my city—the great, the old, the terrible city of unnumbered crimes. My friend had told me of him, and of the impelling fascination and allurement of his revelations, and I burned with eagerness to explore his uttermost mysteries. My friend said they were horrible and impressive beyond my most fevered imaginings; that what was thrown on a screen in the darkened room prophesied things none but Nyarlathotep dared prophesy, and that in the sputter of his sparks there was taken from men that which had never been taken before yet which shewed only in the eyes. And I heard it hinted abroad that those who knew Nyarlathotep looked on sights which others saw not.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

goatface posted:

Gotham is full of incoherent architecture covered in ever-present climbing and hiding locations, shrouded in a constant gloom, and crowded with unfathomable creatures with incomprehensible motives. It's a pretty good eldritch horror city at the best of times.

Gareth Hanrahan's Cthulhu City is very much this, and it's great.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well if we're digging into the whole "Gotham City is Cursed as gently caress" pit(or should I say Forever Pit), might as well share one of my favorite bits of fan theorizing in that area;

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Grant Morrison undefeated Batman writer, that stuff got me hooked on comics it was so fun and dark and deeper than I was expecting

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Well if we're digging into the whole "Gotham City is Cursed as gently caress" pit(or should I say Forever Pit), might as well share one of my favorite bits of fan theorizing in that area

I have literally no idea what any of this insane scrapbook is saying.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Captain Theron posted:

but enough about Grant Morrison's writing

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Theron posted:

None of this poo poo is canon or relevant after the crisis reboot #300 so why care

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Plutonis posted:

None of this poo poo is canon or relevant after the crisis reboot #300 so why care

"writing isn't relevant because a corporation dictated that it didn't happen in a continuity that is simpatico the current one"

Next they'll say Watchmen isn't relevant because it doesn't take place in the mainline DCU.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sasha_d3ath posted:

"writing isn't relevant because a corporation dictated that it didn't happen in a continuity that is simpatico the current one"

Next they'll say Watchmen isn't relevant because it doesn't take place in the mainline DCU.

I would strongly recommend NOT looking up the place of Watchmen in current DC continuity.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Arivia posted:

I would strongly recommend NOT looking up the place of Watchmen in current DC continuity.

jesus christ.

murder the concept of canon, it matters less than literally anything else in a given story.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I just want to know how anyone looks at that panel of Batman holding up his cape and yelling "germs" as some guy sneezes on him and thinks "wow, great stuff, time to integrate that into my fan theory collage"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

thank you for the recommendation, it's self indulgent tripe but very much my kind of self indulgent tripe

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nystral posted:

Scissors, glue, and printouts of Trail of Cthulhu and Mutant City Blues.

This is not a joke post.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I have just realised I have spent several years thinking Paladinus and Plutonis were the same poster.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

drrockso20 posted:

Well if we're digging into the whole "Gotham City is Cursed as gently caress" pit(or should I say Forever Pit), might as well share one of my favorite bits of fan theorizing in that area;
This is illegible. What are they saying? The Joker is Pyg's mom? Seriously, just tell me, I can't figure it out.

I like how the author thinks we need an arrow next to the word "vagina" to recognize a drawing of a vagina.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 30, 2023

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Halloween Jack posted:

This is illegible. What are they saying? The Joker is Pyg's mom?

I like how the author thinks we need an arrow next to the word "vagina" to recognize a drawing of a vagina.
Modern best practice is a red circle.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Drivethru has the Against the dark master core rules pdf discounted to 5$ from 24.99, how is it? Any good?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Halloween Jack posted:

This is illegible. What are they saying? The Joker is Pyg's mom? Seriously, just tell me, I can't figure it out.

I think it's saying that there's a sort of archetypal "avatar of contagious madness" that recurs again and again in Gotham, of which the Joker is one expression, but it almost literally couldn't have been presented in a less coherent fashion if you tried.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Arivia posted:

Alan Moore hiding on a cave to avoid giving answers on his thoughts on the Batmanhattan Who Laughs

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I thought The Batman Who Laughs sucked until I learned that he goes around killing parents in front of their kids because he wants to turn them into Batmans and that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Batzarro we didn't even know we needed!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think it's saying that there's a sort of archetypal "avatar of contagious madness" that recurs again and again in Gotham, of which the Joker is one expression, but it almost literally couldn't have been presented in a less coherent fashion if you tried.
Oh, well, that's okay.

I don't like to piss in people's Cheerios about this, but I don't really care for the idea that the Joker is an "avatar of Chaos" or whatever. It just strikes me as a fancy way to say that he does crazy things for no reason. That non-explanation was already there!