Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KazigluBey posted:

But you don't get salvage in this challenge, how are people upgrading?
that's just my brain exploding, ignore that! yes, all gatling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well, I just made it to Evil in NGU. Oh God, what the hell have I done.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

:sickos:

(absolutely going to regret buying Auto Warp as soon as the next AI thing becomes available but I don't care haha button go greyed out)

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I can't get past sector 18 in the compute challenge at all. Running 1xGatling 2.0, 5xLaser Cannon 1.0 for synergy, and 1xBulk 2.0, 2xDeflector because I was getting one shot anyways with 3xBulk 2.0. Goal is to clear sector 19. Seems ridiculous. Anything I should tweak in the build?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
After a while it becomes waiting for the Improved Tracking on your Gatling/Beam 2.0 to tick up from beating waves. If you can't get there after a day or so of idling then it's back to pumping Compute Speed on your Warp and VP Gen/Max on Reactor (to eke out a little more Compute Speed there).

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
(Your Chronicle)

Post poste posted:

I would recommend doing five of the first ending, then the second ending once, then the third ending once.
If you're using garfu's hax, it's got you super overpowered for where you are! Enjoy it.

Garfu? I google 'your chronicle garfu' and didn't see anything. Could you elaborate? I just finished 5/5ing ED4 and it looks like there's a bunch of grind before I can do ED5 so I'd be happy to cheat my way to more of the sloth ruby shop upgrades.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, Garfu is a poster here so it's unlikely google would pick that up. Here you go:

Garfu posted:

https://garfu.dev/Domain.dll

Formations: 1 hour duration, 2 second cooldown
Party size: 50. Passive party display cuts off around 10 but they are still active, will need to remove party members to sort the list better
Shop item duration: a lot longer
DR time: 1 minute instead of 1 hour
DR multiplier: 10x
Norn miss-click protector: No longer need Norn to cast 10 spells to leave village if leaving with Norn
Sin cap increase: not sure exact amount but it's not much cause that kinda breaks stuff
Pay $1 for a billion rubies

Replace the dll in YourChronicle_Data\Managed - back up the original first if you need to switch back without having to redownload

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

something I just realized during the compute challenge is that the non-damage upgrades still have value. so you can pump fire rate and get full uptime on laser boost with those upgrades on the gattlings.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Arzaac posted:

Yeah, Garfu is a poster here so it's unlikely google would pick that up. Here you go:

Hmmm, the $1 for rubies thing didn't work, but the other changes seem to. Oh well.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I did it all with pre-nerf bases and a lot of unbound research, so a fair chunk of this is likely out of date, but here's a brain dump of what I remember:

-gatling laser is the most busted thing right now, so use that because the damage formulae don't care about the base weapon type
-you can't really grind core computing over time because the salvage gain is linear. use v1 weapons until you can get v2 to 95 or higher (the only important damage factor is the damage upgrades from the weapons themselves) and if you hit a wall that's it, you're screwed, go do something else. this one wants regular laser on your non-gatlings for the synergy upgrade if that gets the 10x, I do not recall if it does, check that yourself sorry :shobon:
-power hungry is impossible to grind further than your natural cap because you don't get more reactor capacity over time, either you get there or you don't
-my strat for synth purity 4 works for the previous three as well, because it was "take a nap". (by accident. forgot it was running.) don't ignore the lower tier materials altogether, you can bank up like 1e10 white alloy and then 1e9 green and so on up the chain and end up with a chunk more multiplier. this one actually scales pretty well for the first few hours if you just need a little more push to get one or two sectors further.
-for base, you want to have some of the "allows boosters" pinks in 3, then as many boosters as possible pointing to "multipliers" in 3 and 2, then four boosters pointing to damage in 1 and glass-cannon it. note that the way the multiplier tile scales, you only want to have them if they have the same number of boosters around them - if you have one touching 3 and one touching 2, the latter is actually weakening your total multiplier - so if you don't have the middle of base 3 you end up with 6x3 boosted in base 2 and 3x3 boosted in base 3.

:cheers:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Cimber posted:

Well, I just made it to Evil in NGU. Oh God, what the hell have I done.

Get the "welcome to evil" upgrades, and go right back to normal and max out basically every challenge other than the 24 hours one. The slow start self-resolves remarkably quickly, and speaking as someone who just started sadistic, the next difficulty jump is more of a blip.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 22, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I tried out the all gattling gun setup for the challenges in USI.
And now I am pushing forward to my regular progress with the gattlings without respecting after abandoning the challenge.
And the only way an all gattling ship has to deal with sniper enemies is to push to the boss while getting shot in the face and then have a whole sector worth of enemies explode when the boss is defeated.
Kinda funny.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jesus christ the basic T6 alloy is over an hour a craft at 1.5e8 synth speed. :shepicide:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kyrosiris posted:

Jesus christ the basic T6 alloy is over an hour a craft at 1.5e8 synth speed. :shepicide:
Yeah, it starts slow as hell. That said, you don't wanna do the final synth purity challenge until like 1e11 synth speed, so you will get there, and it's a surprisingly quick ramp-up...

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, it starts slow as hell. That said, you don't wanna do the final synth purity challenge until like 1e11 synth speed, so you will get there, and it's a surprisingly quick ramp-up...

and don't forget synth shard in red, flex shard in orange

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I had a bang my head on the table moment in USI today.

I am to the point of clearing out the last of the synth stuff before I have completed all the available content. And I just finally noticed that in the sector select pop up there is an auto select checkbox. That would have been so nice a while ago so I didn’t have to babysit the thing for 20 minutes after a reset.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Well that's a weird feeling.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
The Factory Idle/Reactor Idle guy has a new alpha for a game called city idle, which plays like a mix between factory idle and caesar III. https://cityidle.com/

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Residual Toast posted:

The Factory Idle/Reactor Idle guy has a new alpha for a game called city idle, which plays like a mix between factory idle and caesar III. https://cityidle.com/

I’m always interested in what he is doing, but I recall he made big changes almost daily during the start of factory and reactor idle. Is that right? If so it might be worth waiting a week or two.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Residual Toast posted:

City Idle posted:

Disclaimer: This game is HARDER THAN AVERAGE idle game and requires to consult a working brain.
well my pudding-brain rear end is out then

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
so you have to join the discord for pins then huh

pass

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sivart13 posted:

well my pudding-brain rear end is out then

So does that mean I can't just queue up a bunch of poo poo, wander away and come back a day or two later after the queue has had a chance to empty/stockpile resources so I can just push through a specific barrier?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

quote:

Disclaimer: This game is HARDER THAN AVERAGE idle game and requires to consult a working brain.

Chakan posted:

I’m always interested in what he is doing, but I recall he made big changes almost daily during the start of factory and reactor idle. Is that right? If so it might be worth waiting a week or two.

My prediction is that at some point progression will be unintentionally hard-capped at some middle stage, and it will go entirely unnoticed for a week or two because all the discord sweats happen to be well past that point.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
well it doesn't run in firefox so they can get hosed

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

I really dislike how the research system interacts with the agent system. "Just disconnect what you don't want researched from the research building" is such a cludgy solution. Especially when I spent an age trying to get the first research because they kept skipping the berries and I had 6 water research and 7 wood research but only 1 berry research. Also, "You can't see how many berries you have because they are cavemen and dumb" but at the same time they know that you have exactly 12 of 25 berry research stored. And my settlement is filled with wandering skeletons.

I'm gonna keep plugging at it for now, see where it goes.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
It gets cluttered very quickly and the research system is incredibly clunky. When the storage of that particular research building is capped, it stops researching. And there's more clutter with the little research thing storage enhancers. So you'll feel your research grind to a half like halfway to the cap, and almost not move at all near the cap, like it's some Calculus function of finding the limit. I feel like you're meant to just completely redo your entire base layouts after certain researches to optimize the research stations, but also the buildings have a limit in how far down the road they can go. So redoing the layout means somehow getting all the construction materials to them while also having the pops to build them without them dying of thirst/starvation/etc. And then it introduces 'supply' buildings that have a bit more range. And then it lets you route to more islands.... but you need population to use the buildings on those islands, and they want their needs met and you need the construction materials so you make it on those islands too. And there's like a million building types.

It's just way too annoying to me for an "idle game".

edit: The memory stone attachments to the research buildings also need a road connection for some awful reason. edit3: Once you make an attachment, you don't need the road anymore.

edit2: I tried to convert all my roads to stone roads and everyone died.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 28, 2023

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

dipwood posted:

edit2: I tried to convert all my roads to stone roads and everyone died.

:snoo:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i just did the same thing (intentionally) and it looks like the problem is queuing up a lot of building converts a bunch of workers to construction and then they just ignore their real jobs while waiting for construction materials to be produced.

e: if you upgrade the road attaching your stone mason then people will continue to work at it and retrieve stone from it for other uses, but builders will not be able to access its storage in order to retrieve stone to build the road in front of it, nor will they transport it to markets. if you don't have other sources of stone your entire economy will wither from pops walking past a build site, becoming builders, walking to the stone masons, then going home because it's inaccessible.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 29, 2023

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
how/when do I unlock the 4th Synth Slot in USI?

I'm currently slowly working through the orange Synth materials. I have been stuck unable to clear level 35 for a few days now, not sure what it's going to take to progress further.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
There's a Warp upgrade for a fourth slot.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Any hints or rumors as to when new content on USI might be released? I am just grinding out research and the last damage/shield upgrades in warp at this point.

Probably time to put it down for 6 months and see what things look like after a couple of updates.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Huh. Immortality Idle added another stage beyond the previous endgame at some point in the several months I'd been away.

Unfortunately, it seems to have wiped out a pretty significant chunk of my character's stats and they now spend every day for eternity as a godlike immortal who gets roughed up every single morning by petty thugs because they can't pay the taxes on their deific godhome in the clouds, and it's looking like I might have to start entirely from scratch to get around this weird pseudo-softlock.

E: Oh, it's even weirder than that. Apparently dipping into the new endgame with my depleted, rolled-back stats also destroyed my entire itinerary; most of the actions became unavailable due to the circumstances, and I either failed to reload them properly or the saved version was also overwritten with the disabled tasks even after reincarnating to get back to a point where I could do anything, so I need to rebuild that first if I'm going to make any progress. Fair enough, lol.

E2: Right, money problem sorted now that the itinerary is working again, now I just have to redo a couple weeks of idling to get to a point where I can maybe do anything to progress again, I guess, assuming I've even understood the info I'd look up on getting started. Weird game.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 30, 2023

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Re:City Idle, I think this game sucks!

There's a lot here that I do like and I think it could be fun, but it just feels steeped in clunky ui, obtuse and hidden mechanics, and that message at the start really makes me feel like if I brought it up on the discord I'd just get a bunch of "Heh, sounds like you're not enough of a REAL GAMER to play this game. :smug:"

Don't think I'll be continuing it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Orvin posted:

Any hints or rumors as to when new content on USI might be released? I am just grinding out research and the last damage/shield upgrades in warp at this point.

Probably time to put it down for 6 months and see what things look like after a couple of updates.
Dev's working on the big update but there's no eta afaik

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Huh. Immortality Idle added another stage beyond the previous endgame at some point in the several months I'd been away.

I hadn't played this before and checked it out for today.
Those mandatory rebirths are very strange, not sure if I like the idea.
Now I am in the situation where I seem to have to lean forward from my chair towards the shift button to drink all those potions. It also seems that once I actually have useful products there, I will have to be present to eat them before my character dies of old age.
Which kinda disqualifies the game for counting as an idle game to me, unless there is some kind of automatisation coming up soon. Is there one?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

VictualSquid posted:

I hadn't played this before and checked it out for today.
Those mandatory rebirths are very strange, not sure if I like the idea.
Now I am in the situation where I seem to have to lean forward from my chair towards the shift button to drink all those potions. It also seems that once I actually have useful products there, I will have to be present to eat them before my character dies of old age.
Which kinda disqualifies the game for counting as an idle game to me, unless there is some kind of automatisation coming up soon. Is there one?

It's definitely balanced weird on that front; you do get more automation as it goes on, but it demands a fair amount of active play for much of the progression.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 30, 2023

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Had a good time with City Idle - the lack of control over research was kind of an interesting puzzle, the game's generosity with being able to move things around felt like it canceled it out (it was pretty nice being able to move construction markets from one end of the map to another loaded up with stuff, and construct all my expensive houses in one place then move them to location)

Took me a while to notice the extra tabs on the research page which uh helped a lot.

Once you unlock deep sea fishing food is trivial and it definitely doesn't seem worth arranging every food for everyone. The main chokepoint I ran into is with colonies - had to drop into the discord to discover why my colony ports would not pick up berries, and the answer is that colony ports will only take from places that are 66% full, while food markets will take from places that are 33% full and have a very long reach, so I had to turn them off.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

dipwood posted:

edit: The memory stone attachments to the research buildings also need a road connection for some awful reason. edit3: Once you make an attachment, you don't need the road anymore.

the magic here is construct them right next to your quarries, and then drag them to the right place. You can also surround a research station with memory stones, load it up, and then drag it to an unused corner and replace it with a new one - you don't lose the over-cap research, and the cap is also per-research-type so if you have one pile of memory stones near stone/clay/wood and one pile near harvest/water you can switch the research stations between locations to max it out. This got really effective in the next tier since the field stations are very short range, but you can dump the full ones at your campuses and now you can avoid them stealing resources you want to use elsewhere

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
more Evolvechat: I'm now four planets in and thinking of going for my first blackhole run (prob on 0* bc :effort:), does this spread w/43 phage look good enough for it or should I grind a bit more first?

the only other thing giving me pause rn is that bioseeding off my current planet would get me a bunch of new greatness achievements (flare/mellow/swamp/fey) that presumably wouldn't pop for bh since the wiki says it counts as extinction instead, idk what the odds are like on rolling some of those again later on to make up for it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Your upgrades are better than mine and I'm currently in the middle of a 4* blackhole out of the antimatter dimension. I'm not sure if that means anything beyond "I am stupid", though.