Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

adebisi lives posted:

Ukraine had great success in Kharkiv, and pushed Russia out of Kherson after it was clear it wasn't tenable to defend. Both of those were before Russia mobilized more manpower and were exceptions to the glacial pace both sides have made the majority of the war. Things can always change but right now it doesn't seem like throwing a bunch of tanks at the front will be a gamechanger.

Kherson and Kharkiv were successful after Russia's Donbass offensive had culminated. Russia exhausted its manpower and equipment, and Ukraine had reserve brigades that were ready and equipped with largely Western equipment. It sounds a lot like the current situation, honestly. Bakhmut and Vuhledar instead of Severodonetsk and Lysychansk, with the added problem that Russia culminated before managing to take the cities this time.

Not saying that a successful counter-offensive is guaranteed, but this December-March have looked a lot like April-August of last year. I'm not sure what the manpower and equipment situation is like on the Russian side, but Ukraine has more going for it than "throwing a bunch of tanks at the front".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Pablo Bluth posted:

Even twitter feels like it's slowed down in terms of the amount of footage leaking out. It's no longer a constant stream showing yet another Russian tank turret being tossed.

The Oryx data is actually showing more destroyed vehicles per day on social media the last 2 months than during the bloody Russian offensive last summer. So it is less than the Kharkov offensive, but still really intense fighting going on. Probably fewer exciting turret toss videos just because tanks are becoming scarce enough that the Russians aren't risking them close enough to enemy lines for videos like that to be filmed.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Storkrasch posted:

Not saying that a successful counter-offensive is guaranteed, but this December-March have looked a lot like April-August of last year. I'm not sure what the manpower and equipment situation is like on the Russian side, but Ukraine has more going for it than "throwing a bunch of tanks at the front".

Or "Maybe there's some more convicts somewhere we can use"

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Genuine question: when did “the Ukraine” become a problematic phrase? Thought it was like The Gambia, The Netherlands? Or was it something that was initially okay but then some pro Russian group/Russia itself turn into a term of dehumanization?

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

buglord posted:

Genuine question: when did “the Ukraine” become a problematic phrase? Thought it was like The Gambia, The Netherlands? Or was it something that was initially okay but then some pro Russian group/Russia itself turn into a term of dehumanization?

After independence. "The Ukraine" refers to the Ukraine region of the Soviet Union or the Russian Empire, etc. The country itself is called Ukraine. It mirrors a similar process in Russian where в Украине makes it sound like Ukraine is a country, and на Украине makes it sound like a region. I guess it's not controversial for the Netherlands or the Gambia (or the United States of America) because nobody is trying to deny those countries their independence on that basis. Think e.g. "the south", "the midwest", "the donbass" vs "Canada" or "Mexico".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

buglord posted:

It was never okay, and it’s a decades old thing dating back to Soviet Union. It’s a translation of a Russian language preposition twist implying that Ukraine is a peripheral territory of Russia, rather than a country.

Edit: Storkrasch has a point though that politically the issue, for obvious reasons, was forced only upon independence.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 30, 2023

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
an analogue for the US crowd is the similarity of the republican effort of labeling their opposition the "Democrat Party" instead of "The Democratic Party"

Another part of what makes it circumstantially problematic is how it then gets used by supporters of russian nationalism in ways which eventually cause you to have to do things like moderate it out of a space, no matter the claims of oversensitivity

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
This thread stopped getting news posted because posters were getting probated for posting news posts. And jokes. Or other items. It is and was hard if not impossible to tell. The GBS thread is more…useful.

I’d say more but… well you know what happens.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

if we agree beforehand that your feedback targets specific rules, and that under no circumstance this thread will be getting more lax enforcement of posting :nws: stuff,

My issue here is the most important and worthwhile feedback is essentially worthless then. There are a lot of good rules to prevent threadshitting, concern trolling, pointless topics (clancychat) et al. But I feel the overly draconian rules on top of this aspect is merely done as an over-sensitive response to placate loud, aggressive, and unhinged posters who merely retreat to their hugbox rather than get debated or discuss why their arguments have flaws. The idea that posting censored or bloodless combat videos in a place of discussion will emotionally damage someone or not take the war more seriously is legitimately absurd in the greatest sense. I simply went to another forum and watched the combat video that is getting discussion here. I saw it on the evening news on television at one point in the past. Somehow, I am fine. I'm not emotionally numb to the fact it's a war (and one Russia has every reason to call it quits on) and people are dying and that is really sad.

It's been years since my secondary in psychology and I'm not a licensed doctor but I'm pretty sure this isn't how you get brain poisoned at all. It's literally the same mentality as blaming video games for school shootings. Sure- if a video game is released and teaches you step by step how to do a school shooting and explicitly or through obvious innuendo tells the audience to buy Ron Paul's gold and then KILL THEIR PARENTS that would be one thing. Left clicking 8-bit demons in Doom (1993) is entirely different. An example that would brain poison someone is repeated views of Wagner execution propaganda videos. Or likewise if Ukrainians consistently put out their own execution videos and used it to glorify themselves, as an example.

Ask yourself this- have you seen the video where the Nashville shooter was killed? Did this numb your psychological response or absolute outrage to the fact children were murdered? I'm not having any problems. If you are, it's great you're reading this because through me you get to ask yourself why. Because this is a safe space of discussion and introspection. Draconian rules simply to placate even more unhinged and angry posters isn't great.

I don't really care that admins are deciding it and "shrug" nothing can be done!! I think it's all legitimately good feedback.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 30, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I feel like a lot of people are coming in swinging about a probe that didn't happen. The original post was deemed to not add much to the discussion but the poster wasn't probed. The gross "wow this combat footage is EPIC" responses did.

You can call me emotionally over sensitive because I don't want to watch a squad of guys get killed up close or whatever but I still don't see what it adds to the discussion of the war.

Popete fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 30, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Personally no I did not watch the video of the Nashville shooter getting killed because I do not really want to watch a video of someone being violently killed regardless of the context in which it appears. I am fine with having the choice to opt in or opt out of it. Autoplaying the video was a bigger issue to me, to be honest. I do not see any further point in litigating this rule; anyone who wants to see that kind of thing knows where to find it anyway. It doesn't need to be posted here too. Even when it was more common to see those kinds of videos posted here, I still didn't watch many of them because it wasn't something I was interested in seeing. A tank exploding is dead people inside, not just a vehicle, and not something I want to see in high definition even if I intellectually know they are invaders and Ukraine is defending itself.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 30, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

This thread stopped getting news posted because posters were getting probated for posting news posts. And jokes. Or other items. It is and was hard if not impossible to tell. The GBS thread is more…useful.

I appreciate that there's a thread that has higher standards of newsworthiness and veracity and also that there is a thread for posting stupid bullshit rumors. They're good for different things.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I should clarify that plenty of folks have no interest in watching these videos, and honestly for most of them I'm actually one of them. I shouldn't have simply blamed our more angry posters alone, that was a complete lack of nuance on my part. But I think outright thread bans to newsworthy or videos of interest (that isn't objectified or glamorize) just stifles actual discussion and we end up discussing the reaction to that. Eventually probes start getting handed out and it pushes people away rather than you know.

Discussing what's going on. And then naturally letting the topic move ahead.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 30, 2023

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I do feel like the bar for this thread is just a tad high. I personally like seeing news and updates even if it isn't the sort of news that would necessarily provoke discussion. The nth financial times update about sanctions isn't something I have anything to say about, but I still find it interesting to read.

I don't think adding a sentence of commentary is necessarily a high bar to clear, but I think the idea (granted mostly from cinci's own complaining about the lack of engagement his article dumps got) that content has to drive discussion to be worth posting is a bad one for a current events topic.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Storkrasch posted:

After independence. "The Ukraine" refers to the Ukraine region of the Soviet Union or the Russian Empire, etc. The country itself is called Ukraine. It mirrors a similar process in Russian where в Украине makes it sound like Ukraine is a country, and на Украине makes it sound like a region. I guess it's not controversial for the Netherlands or the Gambia (or the United States of America) because nobody is trying to deny those countries their independence on that basis. Think e.g. "the south", "the midwest", "the donbass" vs "Canada" or "Mexico".

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It was never okay, and it’s a decades old thing dating back to Soviet Union. It’s a translation of a Russian language preposition twist implying that Ukraine is a peripheral territory of Russia, rather than a country.

Edit: Storkrasch has a point though that politically the issue, for obvious reasons, was forced only upon independence.

Thanks for the context!

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Comstar posted:

The only probes I've seen for newsposts were for failing to label NMS stuff. What are you talking about?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I've been frustrated with some of the modding in the thread, mostly because sometimes I don't know what people are actually getting probated for. That said, the thing about the war footage is, imo, that even posting it at all encourages people to talk about the footage in a way that's not interesting or good for the thread. The current situation is an example, footage (arguably newsworthy) was posted along with an interview, but no one was talking about the interview, but instead, "balls of steel" and "epic fites", exactly the sort of thing that this thread does not need.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Umbreon posted:

The only probes I've seen for newsposts were for failing to label NMS stuff. What are you talking about?
Someone got actually banned earlier for posting a video that I'm pretty sure was marked NMS. I've gotten more probes here than in the rest of SA combined... not complaining, just pointing out the rules are pretty strict.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russia-detains-us-journalist-espionage-wall-street-journal-rcna77354

russia has detained wall street journal reporter Evan Gershkovich for "espionage in the interests of the American government," and "collecting information constituting a state secret about the activities of one of the enterprises of the russian military-industrial complex"

earlier had been an involved author on a story titled "russia’s economy is starting to come undone"

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I’m kind of on the fence here. I mostly lurk, because I usually don’t feel knowledgeable enough to contribute and I prefer(red) the GBS thread, at least on days it’s not talking about horse cum all the time. Both the D&D and GBS threads have, at times, been excellent sources for curated/vetted digests of Twitter and Telegram info that I cannot realistically keep up with myself due to real life responsibilities.

I’d love for that to come back, but right now, I don’t think either of these threads provide that. Still somewhat better than Twitter. For now, at least.

I don’t particularly care for NMS material or combat footage and I appreciate the mod/IK efforts to comply with the admin rules, but I do feel that the overall compliance burden on the Ukraine threads is intentional and aimed at driving them out entirely.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Meanwhile, FT has a pretty long article about Ukraine's grain industry: Saving Ukraine’s economy: the grain giant fighting for survival

And, at the same time: Ukraine grain glut hits agribusiness in neighbouring countries

A few excerpts:

quote:

After Russia invaded Ukraine last year, the EU scrapped customs duties and quotas on Ukrainian grain imports and rerouted some of the shipments Russia was blocking in Black Sea ports via Polish and Romanian roads and railway networks. But the cheap Ukrainian grain suddenly available in those markets has undercut local producers.

[…]

At a European Council meeting in Brussels last week, the European Commission proposed that affected EU farmers receive a total of €56.3mn to mitigate the fallout caused by an “excessive supply” of Ukrainian grain imports. Romania would receive the smallest amount at €10mn, while Poland was allocated €29.5mn and Bulgaria €16.7mn.

[…]

Romanian president Klaus Iohannis has accused the commission of ignoring the “huge sacrifices” his country has made in facilitating Kyiv’s grain exports to world markets and asked Brussels to increase the €10mn offered as compensation.

[…]

Poland’s prime minister Mateusz Morawiecki has also asked for a higher amount, describing the offer from Brussels as “inadequate”. “The European Commission must help us more in this regard,” he said on Tuesday while on a trip to Bucharest.

[…]

The governor of Lublin region, which is on the border with Ukraine, has recently highlighted Poland’s issue with failing to re-export most of the Ukrainian grain. Lech Sprawka told TOK FM radio last week that about 800,000 tonnes of grain entered Poland this year, but only about 4,000 tonnes were re-exported outside the EU, including to African countries.

a podcast for cats posted:

I don’t particularly care for NMS material or combat footage and I appreciate the mod/IK efforts to comply with the admin rules, but I do feel that the overall compliance burden on the Ukraine threads is intentional and aimed at driving them out entirely.

That is my impression as well.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
So if I understood right, the policy is now that not even an NMS is sufficient, but that any video showing violence of any kind is now a probation with link removed? That is... not a good policy. Make them not hotlinks if people are unable to help themselves from going to a war thread after a year but lose their mind if they see any images of war. It seems weird to have a blanket ban site-wide that a video of a school shooting by a psychopath in Nashville is equivalent to seeing aerial footage of Bakhmut.

For thread material, Turkey votes on Finland joining NATO today, and Hungary voted for Finland to join a couple days ago (didn't see it mentioned here) by 182 in favor to 6 against ( https://www.politico.eu/article/hun...sh%20accession. ). Turkey will I'm sure have similar margins, since it already has Erdogan's blessing, so now Finland can now formally join NATO, presumably at the next NATO summit in Vilnius on 11-12 July?

E: Cinci, go get yourself a press pass for us. Or are you Latvian? I'm not trying to be a dick on getting the two mixed up intentionally, I genuinely can't remember, drat.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 30, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Comstar posted:

This thread stopped getting news posted because posters were getting probated for posting news posts.

Do you have a single example of this, or is it this an accusation like the time when you personally figured out that I'm actually running the thread with a pro-Russian agenda?

mobby_6kl posted:

Someone got actually banned earlier for posting a video that I'm pretty sure was marked NMS. I've gotten more probes here than in the rest of SA combined... not complaining, just pointing out the rules are pretty strict.

They literally posted a video of a soldier committing suicide, with a comment “maybe videos like these should get posted everywhere on SA”. The ban had nothing to do with thread-specific rules.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

My issue here is the most important and worthwhile feedback is essentially worthless then. There are a lot of good rules to prevent threadshitting, concern trolling, pointless topics (clancychat) et al. But I feel the overly draconian rules on top of this aspect is merely done as an over-sensitive response to placate loud, aggressive, and unhinged posters who merely retreat to their hugbox rather than get debated or discuss why their arguments have flaws.

I don't really care that admins are deciding it and "shrug" nothing can be done!! I think it's all legitimately good feedback.

I feel that you're confusing the thread rules (label :nws: posts with :nws: emoji) with the admin rules (mandatory minimum bans for a subset of :nws: posts. What I was saying in the quote is that I am not reviewing the thread rules for tagging, since I happen to be the unhinged poster who wants them.

Admin-imposed rules I'm obviously not placed to review. Hence, if you go on another meta rant to poo poo on other posters while still not providing any actionable feedback for this thread, I will send you into orbit.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 30, 2023

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I like the modding rules and the thread atmosphere they create. Worst case scenario you catch a sixer who cares

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

My only issue with the thread modding is that sometimes people catch a minor probe for making jokes, but as aphid says, gently caress it, it's a sixer, who cares.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Do you have a single example of this, or is it this an accusation like the time when you personally figured out that I'm actually running the thread with a pro-Russian agenda?

They don't appear to be saying anything whatsoever about a pro-russian agenda but rather are suggesting that the moderation of the thread is overbearing and discouraging to discussion, which, yeah, I would second

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

My only issue with the thread modding is that sometimes people catch a minor probe for making jokes, but as aphid says, gently caress it, it's a sixer, who cares.

yeah this too

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 30, 2023

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Saladman posted:

For thread material, Turkey votes on Finland joining NATO today, and Hungary voted for Finland to join a couple days ago (didn't see it mentioned here) by 182 in favor to 6 against ( https://www.politico.eu/article/hun...sh%20accession. ). Turkey will I'm sure have similar margins, since it already has Erdogan's blessing, so now Finland can now formally join NATO, presumably at the next NATO summit in Vilnius on 11-12 July?

I think Turkey voting in favour of Finland and Sweden's accession of NATO is also a reason why he invited Putin - he really wants to keep projecting this image of neutrality (and/or continuing to keep both sides happy).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

I like the modding rules and the thread atmosphere they create. Worst case scenario you catch a sixer who cares
Precisely. I caught one and it was 100% right.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

I do feel like the bar for this thread is just a tad high. I personally like seeing news and updates even if it isn't the sort of news that would necessarily provoke discussion. The nth financial times update about sanctions isn't something I have anything to say about, but I still find it interesting to read.
Could you expand on what you think is the bar, and how it is a tad high? I personally like seeing stuff like the umpteenth sanctions technicality as well, which is why I've posted an assload of it historically. I'm just not interested in posting them myself regularly any more, since I have no proof that I did not waste a lot of time when I did so the last time.

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't think adding a sentence of commentary is necessarily a high bar to clear, but I think the idea (granted mostly from cinci's own complaining about the lack of engagement his article dumps got) that content has to drive discussion to be worth posting is a bad one for a current events topic.
I feel that something must have got lost in translation for you to get to the point where you're typing things like the bolded bit. There is no standard for how good or how bad something has to be for you to post it. If you would like to post something, you should simply post (respectfully of rules). I don't like spending hours writing a post that gets 0 replies, since I have no way to tell then how many people found it useful, but that's my decision as a poster.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

They don't appear to be saying anything whatsoever about a pro-russian agenda but rather are suggesting that the moderation of the thread is overbearing and discouraging to discussion, which, yeah, I would second

I'm not saying that they're accusing me of pro-Russian agenda in that post, just that this poster has historically made a series of posts that have a tenuous connection with the observed reality, e.g., my pro-Russian agenda some time ago, or the claim that I probate people for posting news. If you're going to throw down a claim like that, you'll have to put up some evidence for it as well. If you want to say that moderation feels overbearing and discouraging discussion, you can type all of that out without typing “posting news is probatable offence”.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Do you have a single example of this

The ‘Search this thread’ text box does not return all results. For example this doesn’t show up on a search for ‘probation’ though other probation posts on the same date do.

The Question IRL posted:

Someone has probably posted it, but the ICC has issued a warrant for Putin.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1636752275346542593?t=h8Bpca-BeNVDAILzuweMDw&s=19

Unlikely to have any major changes (they have issued warrants for other dictators in the past.)

I'm glad to see that it was the forced kidnapping of children that was the main catalyst for this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Reason: Read the thread before posting in it. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

This might have effect of discouraging people from posting imo.

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 30, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I've been frustrated with some of the modding in the thread, mostly because sometimes I don't know what people are actually getting probated for.

If you have an example of a probation you don't understand, you can link it and we can discuss it while this runs.

I’m kind of on the fence here. I mostly lurk, because I usually don’t feel knowledgeable enough to contribute and I prefer(red) the GBS thread, at least on days it’s not talking about horse cum all the time. Both the D&D and GBS threads have, at times, been excellent sources for curated/vetted digests of Twitter and Telegram info that I cannot realistically keep up with myself due to real life responsibilities.

I’d love for that to come back, but right now, I don’t think either of these threads provide that. Still somewhat better than Twitter. For now, at least.
Thank you for feedback, noted. This is a needle that I'd like to figure out how to move as well

Saladman posted:

So if I understood right, the policy is now that not even an NMS is sufficient, but that any video showing violence of any kind is now a probation with link removed? That is... not a good policy. Make them not hotlinks if people are unable to help themselves from going to a war thread after a year but lose their mind if they see any images of war. It seems weird to have a blanket ban site-wide that a video of a school shooting by a psychopath in Nashville is equivalent to seeing aerial footage of Bakhmut.
No, you do not understand that right. Admins have made up a new rule that they haven't announced publicly or even defined explicitly internally, that comes as a world filter style ban+probation for videos that meet this presently underspecified standard. Consequently, Fritz barged in on the video interview posted with that trench fight where one guy was fighting and the other “squiring” him, that had the footage of the fight embedded into the talk, and chose to spare the poster from a ban for the reason that the intent of the post was to share an interview, rather than to simply post a combat video.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Saladman posted:

Actually it's fully possible that Finland becomes a NATO member within a week or so, assuming nobody involved drags their feet delivering their paperwork.

After Hungary and Turkey have delivered their acceptance letters to the US State Department, NATO will send Finland an invitation letter, and Finland sends back an acceptance letter. When this final letter reaches the US State Dept., Finland officially becomes a full NATO member immediately.

Zat fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 30, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rapulum_Dei posted:

The ‘Search this thread’ text box does not return all results. For example this doesn’t show up on a search for ‘probation’ though other probation posts on the same date do.

Reason: Read the thread before posting in it. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

This might have effect of discouraging people from posting imo.

Point taken that the probation may discourage the poster, that I don't disagree with. However, the reason why I probated them is two posts above:

I seldom probate for reposts of stuff from like the previous page, even if they are unnecessary spam and show overt disregard for the conversation in thread, but for something literally 2 posts above I will take issue.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

That is my impression as well.

I mean, this is not the most appropriate for me to say as a mod, but no one here is 13 and blind. While I think there are at least some rational admin interests at play, e.g., the CoolZone thread with its shooter, and while detailed motivations have not been communicated to moderators at all, I can also say that there's enough circumstantial evidence for me to speculate about names of at least two specific admins who would be happy to see all Ukraine threads closed. If this is a sufficiently precise speculation, then one could argue that these admins may now be making the most of the aftermath of their own team's negligence regarding ensuring timely and orderly oversight of the moderation of the GBS thread about the war, and a few other corners of this website.

Until the final details are made, and, preferably, the underpinning rationale revealed, I'll wait, however. Different options are possible, ranging from largely business as usual to “cinci, we demand that you ban goons who post articles with visual evidence from Bucha”, and it would be premature to hash it all out before specifics are available.

This is the more frank context of it, but I can only stress that here we're talking about what's possible within this thread. I have no interest in having this thread talk about admins at length, and I will actively shoot down any serious attempts to start poo poo in that direction in this thread or elsewhere in D&D.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 30, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://www.derstandard.de/story/2000145047246/selenskyj-rede-fpoe-verlaesst-geschlossen-den-saal-zahlreiche-leere-plaetze

Machine translation proofread by me, as usual.

quote:

Selenskyj speech: FPÖ leaves the hall in unison, numerous empty seats for the SPÖ

In addition to the FPÖ, which was absent altogether, numerous SPÖ MPs also stayed away from the words of the Ukrainian president in parliament. A red mandatary speaks of "leadership failure

Normally, what Volodymyr Selenskyj said on Thursday in the Austrian Parliament via video link should have been enough of an uproar in itself. The Ukrainian president spoke of a "total war" by Russia against the people in his country, saying that the occupiers had left behind not only scorched earth, but also booby traps in residential buildings and mines that had now been laid over an area twice the size of Austria. But Ukraine was determined not to lose its morale, Selenskyj declared.

His words reached the National Council rather late anyway: Austria was one of the last EU states to offer the Ukrainian President the opportunity to speak in parliament. Only Hungary and Bulgaria continue to hold out. And yet it was not only the Ukrainian President's statements that caused irritation in the National Council on Thursday. As announced, the FPÖ protested against Selensky's appearance in parliament. But also in the ranks of the SPÖ many seats remained empty - a mandatary who was present, however, speaks of "leadership failure".

After the welcome by National Council President Wolfgang Sobotka (ÖVP), the FPÖ MPs demonstratively did not clap - as the only ones. "Official Austria is militarily neutral, but not politically," Sobotka explained, shortly before the Freedom Party members began Selenskyj's speech by taking out brown paper bags with placards reading "Place for Peace" and "Place for Neutrality", which they placed on the desks in front of them. Then they left the hall in unison and did not even return when Selenskyj reported on Russia's war crimes in his country.

Thin ranks in the SPÖ

But not only the Freedom Party did not want to hear Selenskyj's words. In the ranks of the SPÖ, too, more than half of the seats remained empty. According to Neos Secretary General Douglas Hoyos, only 18 of 40 SPÖ MPs were present. Party leader Pamela Rendi-Wagner, who is also the foreign policy spokesperson of her parliamentary group, stayed away from the plenary session because she was ill, as the SPÖ let it be known in a tweet.

And why did numerous other red mandataries not take part in the event? According to reports, Selenskyj's appearance was highly controversial in the red club in the run-up to the event. Apparently, some Reds were put off by the fact that he had spoken in camouflage in other parliaments around the world and asked for weapons. According to information from the STANDARD, the club's leadership may have issued the instruction that everyone could decide for himself or herself whether he or she wanted to take part in the event. In an interview with the STANDARD, a Red mandatary who took part in the event described this as a "failure of leadership and the individual failure of many who thought it was a good idea not to come".

"Expression of Evil"

In any case, Selenskyj did not appear too demanding in Vienna. When Ukraine asks for help, it asks for support to be able to save lives, the Ukrainian President told the MPs - or rather those who had not left the hall. Ukraine never wanted anything that did not belong to it. She wanted security and peace, freedom and happiness for her children, in her Ukrainian home. "Is that too much to ask?" asked Selenskyj rhetorically.

The Ukrainian President expressed special thanks to the cities of Vienna, Linz and Graz, which have taken in injured Ukrainians in their hospitals, as well as to the initiative Neighbour in Need. He was convinced that Ukraine would be victorious in this war, Selenskyj said. He said he was convinced that the country would preserve its humanity, its civility, its morality and its belief that evil will always lose. Because you cannot be neutral towards evil, Selenskyj added.

The event was also attended by numerous visitors who followed the event from the gallery. Among them: Federal President Alexander Van der Bellen and the Ukrainian Ambassador Wassyl Chymynez.

On the government bench, Foreign Minister Alexander Schallenberg, Minister of Economics Martin Kocher and State Secretary Florian Tursky from the Austrian People's Party (ÖVP) and Vice Chancellor Werner Kogler, Minister of Social Affairs Johannes Rauch and Minister of Justice Alma Zadić from the Green Party attended the event.

In front of the parliament, however, about a hundred people demonstrated against Selenskyj's speech. With them: a Russian flag.

Reprimand to the FPÖ

Following the speech, representatives of the individual parliamentary groups took the floor. Also during this debate, the FPÖ MPs stayed away from the plenary chamber. However, this did not prevent the other parliamentary groups from reprimanding the Freedom Party.

The first speaker was ÖVP MP Reinhold Lopatka, who paid respect to the Ukrainian President and showed solidarity with the people in Ukraine. "This war is more than a regional conflict, this war has a global dimension," he said. Lopatka also criticised the FPÖ MPs for turning their backs on the Ukrainian president, saying, "It's a shame that they show such behaviour. Really a shame." Party leader Herbert Kickl was "in solidarity with Putin (Russia's president, ed.)[their ed, not mine – AG], we are with the people in Ukraine".

SPÖ deputy leader Jörg Leichtfried - who took the podium in place of Rendi-Wagner - was also outraged and said in the direction of the FPÖ: "If you exclusively introduce 30 pro-Russian motions in one year, that is neither a signal for peace nor a signal for neutrality. He condemned Russia's war of aggression "in the strongest possible terms".

After the "forceful words" of the Ukrainian president, it was "hardly possible to move on to the order of the day", said Green MEP Ewa Ernst-Dziedzic. She also directed sharp words at the FPÖ: "If anyone betrays neutrality here in the House, it is the FPÖ." The party was evading democratic discourse, and "that is a disgrace", she stressed.

Neos leader Beate Meinl-Reisinger, for her part, expressed "respect and gratitude" to Wolodymyr Selenskyj. And she said to be ashamed "that there are also people here in the House who cannot distinguish between perpetrators and victims. Whoever is on the wrong side here "makes himself a collaborator of dictatorial regimes", she told the FPÖ MPs. (Florian Niederndorfer, Sandra Schieder, 30.3.2023)

It's fascinating how bad machine translation is at Austrian German. I had to heavily redact a bunch of sentences, and I doubt I found them all. Worse still, it replaces – with -, which is a crime.
There are some weird constructions in there because it doesn't translate the Konjuntiv I and II into subjunctive clauses while preserving the meaning, and I'm not going to fix all of those.

With that aside, the FPÖ are basically like the German AfD, except they are frequently in government.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

This is my opinion as well. I feel like some people view getting a sixer for stuff is just short of a permaban, when it usually seems more of a slight slap on the wrist. Now and then there have been some probations that I personally didn't view as needed, but never in such numbers that I felt that posting in the thread was "dangerous."

I like the proposed changes to the rules, especially about writing at least a very small amount with regards to the content of an article linked.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
At minimum, if literally all links, even properly tagged, to NWS and NMS content are banned, this rule should be rewritten

quote:

Discussing material you won't post to the thread is discouraged. Anything more than a passing reference to something unspecified, especially something fresh or sensationalist, is actively detrimental to the thread.

But generally speaking, I think this discussion should be happening in a dedicated SAD thread, as the new rule will affect not just this thread, but all threads about ongoing military conflicts/protests/etc.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Saladman posted:

E: Cinci, go get yourself a press pass for us. Or are you Latvian? I'm not trying to be a dick on getting the two mixed up intentionally, I genuinely can't remember, drat.

Motherfucker. :11tea:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

But generally speaking, I think this discussion should be happening in a dedicated SAD thread, as the new rule will affect not just this thread, but all threads about ongoing military conflicts/protests/etc.

You're correct in that this is not the appropriate thread to litigate a site-wide rule, and I think that it is plausible for you to see a discussion about it that you expect. While it depends on what version of the rule we get in the end, I think that the more plausible range of outcomes could affect any visual imagery where you could see a person getting severly hurt, tortured, dying, killed, or simply being dead already. Which could, depending on the precise wording, impact not only the war threads, but also TFR/GIP as subforums, all threads that post dash cams or OSHA stuff, all threads about American news, history threads discussing WW2 or whatever, sports accidents, and undoubtedly more things that I'm not immediately recalling.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 30, 2023