Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Is the league ready for a playoff win powered beam??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
smud can just spin rancho seco back up if it becomes an issue

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Purple shirt man W

https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1641292347278340097

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Goongrats Kings

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Spacebump posted:

This season is def ending with the Mavs missing the playoffs, having the tenth worst record, a team from 11-14 winning the lotto, knocking the Mavs down to 11, and giving their pick to the Knicks.

This is the way.

Whatever is the weirdest, most unlikely thing to occur is what will happen. Because that’s what this team does.

Is it moving up, something they’ve literally never done? Or is it threading the needle on missing the play-in/ending up in 11th and conferring the pick?

How exciting for the fans among us.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Less_HumbleTeej/status/1641425147193339905

the fix is in.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Naz Reid
https://twitter.com/meyerNBA/status/1640736590262575109

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NickRoweFillea posted:

Goongrats Kings

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

kangs

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Neat. That has to be their differential when taking account of only their opponents' attempts in their games. They're nowhere near that many more attempts vs the rest of the league in general. (Side note: most since [some date less than a decade ago] stats are just funny)

I have thoughts on this, since I was just talking about it with some friends a couple days ago.

Davis played quite a few games this year and is elite at getting to the line. James is still very good at it. Schroder and Reaves are both good at it, and Gabriel is marginally above average at it. The Lakers also have a significantly better defense than offense. They also didn't have the highest per 100 possessions, but they play at one of the highest paces in the league to make up for it.

Despite getting more attempts, as of a couple days ago, they had fewer makes than the Sixers.

Maybe there's some officiating bias here, sure, but I think the disparity could just as easily be highlighting just how poor the Lakers have been offensively. Think about it. They're struggling to get the shots they want in an offense, so they're forcing the ball to the rim over and over and over again, having to give up contested shots and hopefully get fouled, rather than get a smooth, open jumper. They're out there playing ugly as hell and haven't been capitalizing all that hard on it, either.

It's hard to analyze a defense by looking at stats, but if I had to guess, just reading a vague image of the text, they probably give up more open outside looks and teams therefore drive against them a bit less. Their defense is above median, but that doesn't mean it's good, just better than their offense, and better than a little more than half the league. It could be where they slack off is guarding open threes so they might have totally the opposite problem on the other end. I haven't forced myself to watch many Laker games, though, so I dunno how accurate that is, and I can't remember offhand where to look to see opponents' 3pt attempts against. I suspect it will be quite high.

Tldr; do the Lakers get awarded more free throws because they suck, or do they suck because they take too many free throws?

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 30, 2023

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The lakers are 20th in the league in drives per a game its a biased whistle

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Alaois posted:

"there is no monoculture" is such a convenient excuse for having your head buried deep in the sand lol

This is what you're mad about people not knowing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oftolPu9qp4

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Is this year the most wide open the NBA has ever been?

The East has 2 equal contenders, plus 2 other solid threats. The West almost feels equal 1-10. You can rule out a couple teams (OKC and NO sans Zion), but it's tough to make heads or tails of anybody else. None of the top record teams seem dominant enough to overcome LeBron/AD or Steph/Klay getting hot despite how down and out those teams have looked at various points. Even as bad as Dallas has looked lately, do you really want to roll the dice playing against 44+ minutes of Luka/Kyrie one on one? Phoenix looks like the best team on paper, but they're still in "figure it out" mode with a week left in the regular season. If the Clippers can get George back in time for the playoffs, that's not a pleasant matchup for anyone either.

Blind Pineapple fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 30, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

toggle posted:

Ice Spice is an utterly loving lame name

Her real first name is Isis, this is a better performance name than that would be in the modern era

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Blind Pineapple posted:

The East has 2 equal contenders, plus 2 other solid threats. The West almost feels equal 1-10. You can rule out a couple teams (OKC and NO sans Zion), but it's tough to make heads or tails of anybody else. None of the top record teams seem dominant enough to overcome LeBron/AD or Steph/Klay getting hot despite how down and out those teams have looked at various points. Even as bad as Dallas has looked lately, do you really want to roll the dice playing against 44+ minutes of Luka/Kyrie one on one? Phoenix looks like the best team on paper, but they're still in "figure it out" mode with a week left in the regular season.

phoenix has nothing to figure out, they just need to pray for health

i dont think the kings are a real playoff threat, any team that shuts down Sabonis is going to wreck their offense

everyone else could punch their way throuh for the honor of losing to the east in the finals

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

Her real first name is Isis, this is a better performance name than that would be in the modern era

Isis Spices

I Spysis

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Blind Pineapple posted:

The East has 2 equal contenders, plus 2 other solid threats. The West almost feels equal 1-10. You can rule out a couple teams (OKC and NO sans Zion), but it's tough to make heads or tails of anybody else. None of the top record teams seem dominant enough to overcome LeBron/AD or Steph/Klay getting hot despite how down and out those teams have looked at various points. Even as bad as Dallas has looked lately, do you really want to roll the dice playing against 44+ minutes of Luka/Kyrie one on one? Phoenix looks like the best team on paper, but they're still in "figure it out" mode with a week left in the regular season. If the Clippers can get George back in time for the playoffs, that's not a pleasant matchup for anyone either.
The late 70's were incredibly wide open.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I think last year's playoffs were weird but players were injured so people cared less. GSW played injured denver, baby memphis (+ ja injured), and luka. Celtics beat kd nets, bucks (- kris but its still giannis), and 1 seed heat. This year, people realize not to predict.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

So inspiring... I simply can't believe this team is having problems!!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/NickDePaula/status/1641443689565392900?s=20

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Got interviewed on TV last night where I said “this is the best feeling I’ve ever had and I have two kids this is the best feeling I’ve ever had”

They understand

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Lol

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Chris James 2 posted:

She missed a real good rural juror like opportunity by not going by Isis Ice

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Ammanas posted:

phoenix has nothing to figure out, they just need to pray for health

i dont think the kings are a real playoff threat, any team that shuts down Sabonis is going to wreck their offense

everyone else could punch their way throuh for the honor of losing to the east in the finals

:allears:

Just shut down Sabonis, that’s all. The guy who leads the league in double doubles, who has led his team to the highest offense rating in the history of the NBA, the guy who plays with the guy who leads the league in clutch and 4th quarter scoring. The guy with the strength of Aquaman and the passing of Joker. Just have to force him to his right, right

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

kingcobweb posted:

drat so the only game Embiid missed was in Denver? That’s crazy. Totally unforeseeable.
he played vs Denver the last time
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/denver-nuggets-philadelphia-76ers-2023012820/

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Metapod posted:

The lakers are 20th in the league in drives per a game its a biased whistle

It's definitely true, but none of their guys besides Reaves are really seeing a major change in their PFs or FTAs, they just happened to have a bunch of guys who don't really foul much and a few stars (Lebron, AD, Westbrook) who get friendly offensive whistles.

They removed a bunch of guys who had what you could describe as a low FT:PF ratio (Melo, Monk, THT) for a guys with much better ratios (Walker, Schroder, Reaves magic). THT and Melo in particular basically gave up a bunch of FTs through fouls while not getting a bunch of FTs in return.

Pelinka basically did a fantasy basketball thing where he optimized a couple stats while ultimately not really improving the roster quality

Reaves is really the most interesting part of the equation because he's basically increased his rate of FTs like... 75% while having almost no change to his foul rate. Just put his FT rate at last year and the Lakers are still in the lead but not lapping the competition.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The Maestro posted:

Just shut down Sabonis, that’s all. The guy who leads the league in double doubles, who has led his team to the highest offense rating in the history of the NBA, the guy who plays with the guy who leads the league in clutch and 4th quarter scoring. The guy with the strength of Aquaman and the passing of Joker. Just have to force him to his right, right

Harden.txt from Rockets fans the past decade

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

“In Denver,” which he hasn’t done since 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Tldr; do the Lakers get awarded more free throws because they suck, or do they suck because they take too many free throws?

The truth is there's usually an outlier like this every year. You don't hear about it though because it's usually not the Lakers and is pretty much a different team every year and there isn't a whole lot of correlation with winning; several of these teams missed the playoffs all together or entered with the lower seed:

2023: Lakers lead with 5.3
2022: Utah leads with 4.1
2021: Atlanta leads with 3.1
2020: Milwaukee leads with 3.5
2019: Utah leads with 3.3
2018: Charlotte leads with 4
2017: Charlotte leads with 5.6
2016: Detroit leads with 4.3
2015: Sacramento leads with 6.2
2014: Houston leads with 8.6
2013: The Lakers lead with 8.5
2012: Denver leads with 6.2
2011: Denver leads with 4.8
2010: Charlotte leads with 5.7

E: and this is the one I quoted because I think your analysis is spot on. Metapod is right that the Lakers don't drive a lot, but they do lead the league in shots near the basket, because as you say, they force it in there no matter what. Which is also why they have several nasty 18+ turnover nights.
E2: Not original research on the free throw differential per game, credit to various people on the internet for doing it.

Rick fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 30, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Telluric Whistler posted:

It's definitely true, but none of their guys besides Reaves are really seeing a major change in their PFs or FTAs, they just happened to have a bunch of guys who don't really foul much and a few stars (Lebron, AD, Westbrook) who get friendly offensive whistles.

They removed a bunch of guys who had what you could describe as a low FT:PF ratio (Melo, Monk, THT) for a guys with much better ratios (Walker, Schroder, Reaves magic). THT and Melo in particular basically gave up a bunch of FTs through fouls while not getting a bunch of FTs in return.

Pelinka basically did a fantasy basketball thing where he optimized a couple stats while ultimately not really improving the roster quality

Reaves is really the most interesting part of the equation because he's basically increased his rate of FTs like... 75% while having almost no change to his foul rate. Just put his FT rate at last year and the Lakers are still in the lead but not lapping the competition.

There was one point in the season where Dwight Howard's per 36 foul was 8 somehow lol

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I feel like Jdub and Sochan have shown a lot, the potenital to be the best from this rookie class when it started out seeming like a Paolo slam dunk. this was an interesting rookie class tbh, lots of depth

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
People were super hyping up Mathurin but that went away quickly

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Christian Braun has huge “annoying white hustle guy” potential

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Got interviewed on TV last night where I said “this is the best feeling I’ve ever had and I have two kids this is the best feeling I’ve ever had”

They understand

Lol, congrats

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Dyson Daniels will be a successful and healthy Lonzo Ball archetype.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

They understand

A game I watched recently, on the local Kings halftime or post game show but they said something about how the person booing the most last year has a different tune now. Which was probably a shot at you now that I think of it.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

WhyteRyce being maybe not a "famous" fan but definitely a notorious one is my favorite bit of thread lore

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

The Maestro posted:

yeah thats cool but he plays in the west lol

also if the kings were actually good they wouldn't need clutch stats

Tae posted:

the hype was mostly performance above expectations, i think people backed away a bit from the scottie barnes experience

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

For whatever reason coming off the bench after Halliburton gave him a lot more juice than coming off after Mr. tiny hands or Andrew Nembhard. Also I think he’s dribble drive game just got scouted a bit which hurt his jumper. He’ll be fine assuming a normal developmental trajectory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Lol, the power to boo Cam Payne into an NBA player, the power to boo a franchise into the playoffs