Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

1. Contracts no longer have to be settled in dollars
2. Demand for dollars drops and exchange rates for other currencies slide
3. US import economy goes tits up once we can't afford anything
4. US manufacturing sector gets restored out of necessity were back baby gently caress yeah you'd be a fool not to invest in this market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is China slowly moving countries away from the dollar doing a third worldism?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

is china still deflating the renminbi relative to the dollar? i thought it hadn't been directly pegged for awhile

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I like this Wolff clip.

You can tell he's trying to find a non-cliched way of asking people to like and subscribe to his channel.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Another one? drat. I'm starting to think that maybe leftists were all wrong about trains being the most efficient way to transport across land after all

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:07 on Mar 30, 2023

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

ArmZ posted:

is china still deflating the renminbi relative to the dollar? i thought it hadn't been directly pegged for awhile

I did some Googling.

https://gjia.georgetown.edu/2022/02/11/what-is-holding-the-yuan-back-xi-is/

It's not a direct, strict peg anymore, but Chinese policy will always try to keep the Yuan within a certain range given China's economic situation.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If I was in charge of running the trains I would do what matters to keep them on the tracks but IDK maybe I should've taken more business management classes or something

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

whoa it's like these guys who worked on the trains that were striking for a better contract had some kind of legitimate grievance or somehting

Remember when The Most Progressive President In Our Lifetime told them to shut the gently caress up and go back to work?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Remember when The Most Progressive President In Our Lifetime told them to shut the gently caress up and go back to work?

Sorry sweaty remembering facts means youre a tRUMP lover and bad. The good guys want the things that are the way things are to continue to be the way things need to be to answer the question of how things ought to be going forward.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

net work error posted:

If I was in charge of running the trains I would do what matters to keep them on the tracks but IDK maybe I should've taken more business management classes or something

The Bureau of Transportation Statistics records 54,539 train derailments between 1990 to 2021, an average of 1,704 per year.

After the first thousand or so derailments I'd be really sick of them. What a pain. Maybe the derailment cleanup company is causing the derailments to keep their business going??

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Shipon posted:

trees on sidewalks do gently caress up the sidewalks as well as the curb of the road (where the bicyclists ride), so i say get rid of 'em

They also cool down giant areas of cities. The wealthy areas with nice trees have 2-3F cooler temps than neglected areas. There's studies on this that're neat

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

all china has to do is wait and push a little the us is doing a stellar job of collapsing on its own

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

What she's saying seems to be true? She seems to be spouting C-Spam adjacent thinking.

HallelujahLee posted:

all china has to do is wait and push a little the us is doing a stellar job of collapsing on its own

Quoted for truth.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

whoa it's like these guys who worked on the trains that were striking for a better contract had some kind of legitimate grievance or somehting

What do you think the odds are that these derailings will be blamed on disgruntled saboteurs

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
The US needs a leader who can get the trains running on time again

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I seek only misery for Joe Biden and all his minions, especially Kooky Kamala

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

anyways the petrodollar being replaced seems to be happening alot faster than i thought and thats also catastrophic for the us. reserve currency is prob not happening for awhile

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Xaris posted:

this is so loving dumb

big waste of metal, plastic, glass, 99999 gallons of gas to make it

also someone is gunna take a rebar and break it in a day anyways

Yeah but think of all the money that's going to made off of it.

There's no "disruption" or kickbacks when you just plant a tree.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

there was a surprisingly decent interview on NPR with this lady who studies how chronic stress from poverty and systemic racism fucks you up (book was Weathering: The Extraordinary Stress of Ordinary Life in an Unjust Society, Arline Geronimus).

some pretty crazy stats, like how every developed country has seen drops in birth complications by way of policies reducing teen pregnancy, except for America. also how that big gently caress off raid on a meat factory awhile ago where they rounded up and shackled all the immigrant workers resulted in a measurable increase in birth complications of Hispanic women across the entire state.

article

it was all pretty lib-brained and the word “capitalism” was never uttered of course, but still pretty interesting.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Nothus posted:

Yeah but think of all the money that's going to made off of it.

There's no "disruption" or kickbacks when you just plant a tree.

Yet.

Just wait until the whole silly 'outrage' over genetic engineering to fade away then they'll advertise bespoke hand-crafted genetically unique trees species to replace those silly algae tanks

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bot 02 posted:

Maybe we start with just keeping them on the tracks for now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

trees aren’t web scale

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

UGH the returns on this are terrible. number go down, very insulting.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Eric Cantonese posted:

What she's saying seems to be true? She seems to be spouting C-Spam adjacent thinking.

She does, but it was a more general "everyone is rolling out some type of 'dedollarization isn't happening' video or take".

I agree with the overall sentiment that dedollarization is happening it is just a slow process. I do think the aspect of dedollarization in regards to the petrodollar is happening much faster than anyone is anticipating.

I also think a good portion of this wouldn't be happening if not for the Russian sanction poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
Baghdad Bob Economy

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

i think one of the first industries to adopt ai to significantly reduce workforces will be call centers, in the near future when you talk to a help desk, answering service, telemarketer, etc you're going to be talking entirely to a computer

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HallelujahLee posted:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

turns out biden was the accelerationist candidate

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1641409960373374979?s=20

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bot 02 posted:

At least a leader who will fix the drat rails!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Spoondick posted:

i think one of the first industries to adopt ai to significantly reduce workforces will be call centers, in the near future when you talk to a help desk, answering service, telemarketer, etc you're going to be talking entirely to a computer

they already try to do this with phone menus but everyone i know just yells at it until they get connected to a human

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Spoondick posted:

Which is great for all of these places because it's an even cheaper way to frustrate customers so that they don't get the help they'd otherwise be entitled to get.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Spoondick posted:

Marx Headroom posted:

they already try to do this with phone menus but everyone i know just yells at it until they get connected to a human

yeah they’ll try this and it might even work somewhat but they’ll never replace the actual human punching bags completely

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Marx Headroom posted:

Computer: Please tell us why you are calling today
ME: UNSUBSCRIBE, HELP, OPERATOR, DISPUTE.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The liquid algae tree thing is extra stupid when you consider a single bamboo plant can sequester several hundred lbs of co2 per year

Cover the earth in bamboo! Pyrolize it and stick it in the ground! Build houses and furniture out of it! gently caress! There's already One Weird Trick for carbon sequestration and tech bros hate it!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

I also think a good portion of this wouldn't be happening if not for the Russian sanction poo poo.

I agree. It's totally about many oil-producing nations seeing Russia getting hampered by sanctions and not wanting to suffer to the same extent.

And just generally, it's nice to have options. :)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I saw a shipping container yesterday that claimed it was an Eco container because it used bamboo floors instead of regular wood

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Computer: Please tell us why you are calling today
ME: UNSUBSCRIBE, HELP, OPERATOR, DISPUTE.

every interaction with customer service is like when Sgt. Hatred is feeding the guard robots nonsense phrases to make them glitch out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr0gHl04C5A

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Justin Tyme posted:

The liquid algae tree thing is extra stupid when you consider a single bamboo plant can sequester several hundred lbs of co2 per year

Cover the earth in bamboo! Pyrolize it and stick it in the ground! Build houses and furniture out of it! gently caress! There's already One Weird Trick for carbon sequestration and tech bros hate it!

bamboo doesnt scale like tech does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Justin Tyme posted:

much like masks against covid, we will never accept trees for carbon sequestration because it's too simple of an answer