Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Every RTJ album is better than every Killer Mike solo album, even RAP Music

:wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
RTJ are really good, sorry haters!!!!!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I kind of prefer Meow The Jewels, but Run The Jewels is great too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RTJ is one of those groups that is better than either of its components individually

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
RTJ is great workout music but if you asked me my favorite song or album I’d be like uhhh run the jewels?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

2 and 4 yes, but RAP Music, Fantastic Damage and I’ll Sleep When You’re Dead are definitely better than 3 and around the same as 1.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Their best song is "Get It" fight me

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My favorite is A Christmas loving Miracle

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

atrus50 posted:

its a mediocre kendrick impression is what it is

I don’t listen to kendrick anymore and didn’t even make the connection, but calling that mediocre is a stretch.

Unrelated melon gave scaring the hoes a light 9. And a 9 track eXquire album produced by solely by Peggy is now my dream collab.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

You just love to talk and say poo poo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

RTJ is one of those groups that is better than either of its components individually

Please listen to more El-P and Killer Mike solo releases.

Yeah rtj is great but also there is some real disrespect for both of these musicians absolutely solid body of work.

RTJ is good because both of these rappers were already good

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

sometimes I'll be listening to an album on Spotify and it'll end and the algorithm will put on a song that makes me go, "what is this goofy poo poo it just put on" and nine times out of ten it's RTJ

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Please listen to more El-P and Killer Mike solo releases.

Yeah rtj is great but also there is some real disrespect for both of these musicians absolutely solid body of work.

RTJ is good because both of these rappers were already good

I have.

Here is the best non-RTJ El-P verse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ijOe3sGEk

Which also happens to be a great posse cut in general

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 30, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

smell pee

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Robert Analog posted:

I don’t listen to kendrick anymore and didn’t even make the connection, but calling that mediocre is a stretch.

Unrelated melon gave scaring the hoes a light 9. And a 9 track eXquire album produced by solely by Peggy is now my dream collab.

I think Pitchfork gave it a 7.1. They had some typical, hilarious Pitchfork quotes in it.

Pitchfork is such a pretentious, hipster joke of a review medium that I still pay attention to it just so I can have a laugh at the weird poo poo they say. Who writes "In colloquial parlance" with a straight face? I mean, come on.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

This got kind of passed over because of the RTJ talk, but it's really good. Both song and video. Not a huge fan of Tyler, but I respect his talent and this might be one of my favorites of his.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ShowTime posted:

I think Pitchfork gave it a 7.1. They had some typical, hilarious Pitchfork quotes in it.

Pitchfork is such a pretentious, hipster joke of a review medium that I still pay attention to it just so I can have a laugh at the weird poo poo they say. Who writes "In colloquial parlance" with a straight face? I mean, come on.

Pitchfork has never really rocked with Jpeg so a 7 is very normal from them. As to how they write, I mean its pitchfork. Most of the time I'm not even sure who they are writing for when I would believe I'm one of their main demographics but like they are and have always been an enigma.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
mr. muthafuckin eXquire can do no wrong

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Anyone watching Wu-Tang: An American Saga? Last episode of the third & final season is coming next week, so it's a good time to binge!
Good entertainment IMO.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Pitchfork has never really rocked with Jpeg so a 7 is very normal from them. As to how they write, I mean its pitchfork. Most of the time I'm not even sure who they are writing for when I would believe I'm one of their main demographics but like they are and have always been an enigma.

pitchfork pivoted hard from "indie rock" into rap in the 2010s, but for the past 5 years they've been totally aimless

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
didnt realize there was a 3rd season i thought the first two were pretty solid for what could've easily been a terrible throwaway streaming network show

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Polo-Rican posted:

pitchfork pivoted hard from "indie rock" into rap in the 2010s, but for the past 5 years they've been totally aimless

They do still put on for a lot of new music but the increased amount of archive reviews and somewhat craven attempts to rebrand as Poptimism HQ have been pretty embarrassing. Not to mention stuff like them going back into their old reviews and rescoring albums without consulting with the author of the original reviews lol

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Pitchfork died when it stopped churning out reviews like this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/9464-shine-on/amp/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Polo-Rican posted:

said it before and will say it again - them thinking the Hellboy EP by Lil Peep and going all in on Lil Peep to the point its as good to them as Danny Brown's Atrocity Exhibition is when they lost their track of trying to be ahead of the curve and they are riding that wave since then in trying to justify themselves since

Bismack Billabongo posted:

They do still put on for a lot of new music but the increased amount of archive reviews and somewhat craven attempts to rebrand as Poptimism HQ have been pretty embarrassing. Not to mention stuff like them going back into their old reviews and rescoring albums without consulting with the author of the original reviews lol

not to mention going back and down ranking their own albums to be less "indie" such as saying that Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights is now just ok which is so hard trying to rebrand they've gone right around to being stupid again.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Having the staff decide on a score and then assigning a writer to review to that score is also way loving dumber than just having the writer go solely off their own opinion imo.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Other people’s musical opinions are useless

Mine however are the best and objectively correct

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

just like all music reviewers they are great for telling me what new stuff is released and their opinion on quality is unimportant

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Having the staff decide on a score and then assigning a writer to review to that score is also way loving dumber than just having the writer go solely off their own opinion imo.

haha wow

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I didn't know it operated this way but that explains so much.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

40 lbs to freedom posted:

just like all music reviewers they are great for telling me what new stuff is released and their opinion on quality is unimportant

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
want to thank this thread for exposing me to neph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBXEaylel3o

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Pitchfork is now the modern Rolling Stone down to the safe scoring. 8.4s for anything with buzz behind it.

8.0 for any good album that's not trendy.

7.7-7.9 for any album where there's buzz behind it and bad.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 30, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

:hmmyes:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I am saying my actual opinion though :(

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

my understanding is that its the opposite of this, the writer writes a review and then the editors assign a score based on the review

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Crumbletron posted:

mr. muthafuckin eXquire can do no wrong

pro opinion right here

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

abraham linksys posted:

my understanding is that its the opposite of this, the writer writes a review and then the editors assign a score based on the review

This unfortunately is not accurate. How else can you explain the review of the Ye album that reads like an obituary and comes carrying a nice 7.1 lol

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

abraham linksys posted:

It’s a bit more complex. The editors come up with a general range (i.e. is it bad, good, pretty good, or great). The writer writes a review based on this general opinion, and then the editorial team puts on a final score with consideration of the written review.

There’s some back and forward between the writer and the editors to ensure the writer doesn’t get totally sidelined by a score they aren’t expecting.

So it’s a collaboration but ultimately the editorial team has final say. It’s to provide a consistent voice for the publication so people have a frame of understanding for the score, but there is definitely weird side effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

marhsal mathers lp is a bigoted gross exploitation of white male rage that would never see the light of day today nor should it have ever been released in the first place. gross