Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Computer: Please tell us why you are calling today
ME: UNSUBSCRIBE, HELP, OPERATOR, DISPUTE.

This is how satan will torture me for eternity in hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Halloween Jack posted:

I love it when people think that all of material reality hinges on what people are tweeting about.

The problem is way worse than that. The "narrative" is completely fundamental to how we engage with the world. There are just too many people out there using too many channels to tell you whatever you want to hear. The entire concept of material reality being a thing is hanging on by a thread at this point.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Remember when The Most Progressive President In Our Lifetime told them to shut the gently caress up and go back to work?

I just assume this is what they'll break out for Team Blue, forever.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Paradoxish posted:

The entire concept of material reality being a thing is hanging on by a thread at this point.

billions of people are food insecure

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

The problem is way worse than that. The "narrative" is completely fundamental to how we engage with the world. There are just too many people out there using too many channels to tell you whatever you want to hear. The entire concept of material reality being a thing is hanging on by a thread at this point.

tell me you're a computer toucher without telling me you're a computer toucher

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Zodium posted:

do you think I'm saying that literal material reality doesn't exist

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
You see Trewp abolished the rules that prevented all these derailments but Bidoof can’t use the same office with the same power to put it back because that’s against the rules, which are totally real.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

do you think I'm saying that literal material reality doesn't exist

i think the "narrative" is completely fundamental to how computer touchers engage with the world

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

when he says most people think humans will die immediately, what are the causes of death here? nuclear war?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Zodium posted:

i think the "narrative" is completely fundamental to how computer touchers engage with the world

The country is literally run by people who think every problem is a messaging problem. I'm not really feeling the burn here when I was making fun of this exact concept like five posts above the one you quoted.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Zodium posted:

Nah Paradoxish is right. All the propaganda and bullshit is making people believe their lives are not getting worse or normalizing terrible poo poo. Check out the Adam Curtis documentary Hypernormalization.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
can’t buy a home because they’re too expensive. truck just hit 220k so better replace that soon instead….

…jfc :smith:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

You can read about narrative-shaping campaigns going back to WW2 in the US, when the government fabricated letters from concerned mothers of GIs to place in newspapers to soften up Americans wrt firebombing Tokyo and nuking Hiroshima / Nagasaki.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Gimme 5 minutes in a room alone with this "AI".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

our glorious elites are just bad and have bad ideas. it’s not a techno singularity or anything.

you can look through human history and see plenty of examples of bad elites that didn’t have YouTube’s or planes or whatever

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Gimme 5 minutes in a room alone with this "AI".

Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress it.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Narratives is how you have someone coughing up blood and think that this is just nbd, it'll clear up on its own

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

another loving train derailment? I'm starting to think there may be a slight problem

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Facebook paid GOP firm to malign TikTok

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

broke: our train infrastructure is crumbling and our operators overworked
woke: the Soviet fifth columnists have been activated

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Paradoxish posted:

The country is literally run by people who think every problem is a messaging problem. I'm not really feeling the burn here when I was making fun of this exact concept like five posts above the one you quoted.

I've brought this up, but I was part of a study on professionalism in the CAF. The researchers were expecting it to be this big complicated thing, you know why retention, morale, recruitment is low. The problems were pretty much immediately identified as: Sexual abuse and harassment, workplace abuse of subordinates beyond the requirements of military duty, rampant alcohol abuse enabled by the institution, which was closely associated with the previous two problems.

So of course they commissioned I believe 2 or 3 studies since then, the last one from McKinsey, about how they can use messaging to improve recruitment, retention, morale.

They don't want to deal with anything but messaging.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe in addition to messaging they could hand out coupons for a free session at betterhelp.com as well

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I can buy that some problems are due to messaging (see all those leftwing policy positions chuds are in favor of depending on the wording) but in the end you have to DO SOMETHING!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Look at this poo poo
https://twitter.com/Jon_Christian/status/1641452843822465024?t=D3FT4ack7TJ04h11fer-rA&s=19

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

euphronius posted:

maybe in addition to messaging they could hand out coupons for a free session at betterhelp.com as well

this is what an EAP basically is

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Paradoxish posted:

no thats what youre supposed to think. they dont even agree these things are "problems" they want things to stay the same and it would be nice for everyone else to shut up about it. if something is a real problem to the people running the country they dont fart around with messaging they actually do something

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They worked over the weekend to fix SVB!!!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

fart simpson posted:

no thats what youre supposed to think. they dont even agree these things are "problems" they want things to stay the same and it would be nice for everyone else to shut up about it. if something is a real problem to the people running the country they dont fart around with messaging they actually do something

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Justin Tyme posted:

I can buy that some problems are due to messaging (see all those leftwing policy positions chuds are in favor of depending on the wording) but in the end you have to DO SOMETHING!

Well, this is where the Warren people and other culture-war aligned liberals show their true colours. They don't want to do something, because of class interest, materially benefitting from the status quo etc. , but I guess admitting that undermines their moral posturing as Good People, so they work their asses off to obscuring doing something as the heart of any political project. Fundamentally, this is why liberals are not your friends, but for whatever reason people on the left don't push them on this too hard.

I realize there were a million reason why Bernie's people and Bernie himself were not up to this task, but it would have been a very basic, very simple way to take the fight to the Democrats and show why Bernie was different.

As Finkelstein says in his new book:

In the meantime, Axelrod marketed his client as if he were a box of Cocoa Puffs cereal. The slogans Axelrod uploaded were so vacuous that Obama himself initially demurred: “I’m not sold on this slogan you guys have cooked up. Change We Can Believe In. Do you really think it says enough? Nothing about issues at all.” But Obama went along, and “the slogan ended up being one of the signature pieces of the campaign.” The campaign’s other big slogan was also championed by Axelrod so, unsurprisingly, it, too, was of gravitas-defying weightlessness. Although initially recoiling (he says) at the cheesiness of Yes We Can, Obama eventually came to “fully believe the power of those three words.” Two hagiographic editors of his speeches acclaimed this Obama slogan as his “signature phrase” that “became a cultural phenomenon.” In fitting tribute to this awesome rhetorical legacy, Obama selected as the parting words of his last presidential speech, “Yes, we can, Yes, we did, Yes, we can.” Barack, your presidency is over: “Yes, you could have, Yes, you might have, No, you didn’t.”

Of course the broader point Finkelstein makes is that unless people are willing to actually go after Obama, who is kind of the personification of messaging, the Democrats will be able to use him to stop any leftist project cold. The most important thing about Obama, as Finkelstein gets into over a hundred pages, is that he didn't do anything, or at least anything good. Until people realize that, he can break an NBA strike, or an Amazon strike, or who knows what else.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why is number starting to go down today?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

just enjoy the ride (down)

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao

https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1641455851662614529

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I posted about this before, but I know a guy who does development for one of the bigger "high quality" SEO content mills and he's been laughing that people keep submitting ChatGPT articles and they can't even pass through their standards. Not good enough for SEO garbage, but good enough for BuzzFeed!

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

noted hidden gem, state capital Providence R.I.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Didn't CNET or one of the big tech sites write an article about how they tested this and they needed to make corrections on 100% of the AI-written articles they produced? Like a bunch got through initially because their editors were just rubberstamping them, but it turned out they were all filled with garbage.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Jon Irenicus posted:

along with the entire states of connecticut, charleston SC, and fuckin PRAGUE?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jon Irenicus posted:

Have some coffee syrup and apizza while getting capped by a mobster with an incomprehensible accent

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My posts are a hidden gem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Paradoxish posted:

Didn't CNET or one of the big tech sites write an article about how they tested this and they needed to make corrections on 100% of the AI-written articles they produced? Like a bunch got through initially because their editors were just rubberstamping them, but it turned out they were all filled with garbage.

I have friends who work as professional writers and they said ChatGPT has eliminated 80-85% of their busywork. It's apparently very good at generating full article outlines, and the writers then need to go in and change just bits and pieces.