Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You're not wrong, I'm doing a disaster capitalism :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Why are you even bothering to waste your own time, my dude?

The reasons are highly classified state secrets

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

vanity slug posted:

The reasons are highly classified state secrets

Why would you need a security clearance to work in Child Protective Services though? They afraid you'll leak the list of nonces in the House of Lords?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wasn't it already leaked?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Presumably they wish to keep current and ongoing abuses held closer to the vest.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I would much rather have a really busy friday than one where the only ticket came in at 4:45 after I had already turned everything off and now I'm into minute 30 call of something that should take 30 seconds but we keep running into problem after problem.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Slow days suck imo. Give me something interesting to do.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Amazon just decided to kill dpreview
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/03/amazon-layoffs-will-shut-down-camera-review-site-dpreview-com-after-25-years

Which i know is more a topic for IYG but it was one of the oldest website still alive i used to browse religiously when i was younger. Anandtech and tech report have pretty much became a press release rehosting service and so did every other i read/posted on.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Still fighting the good fight against MITM at my job, and found a new thing to be pissed about. A colleague is dependent on a PowerBI solution, and it stopped working because there is a firewall in Azure that only allows allow listed IPs to touch the database.

The solution is apparently to allow list ALL KNOWN ZSCALER EGRESS POINTS. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the allow list in the first place…

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

klosterdev posted:

Slow days suck imo. Give me something interesting to do.

Want to take a meeting with accenture for me?

I don’t know why they keep winning deals.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

RoboBoogie posted:

Want to take a meeting with accenture for me?

I don’t know why they keep winning deals.

Bribery. I think it’s bribery

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

zokie posted:

Still fighting the good fight against MITM at my job, and found a new thing to be pissed about. A colleague is dependent on a PowerBI solution, and it stopped working because there is a firewall in Azure that only allows allow listed IPs to touch the database.

The solution is apparently to allow list ALL KNOWN ZSCALER EGRESS POINTS. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the allow list in the first place…

Can you just bypass that PowerBI traffic as a cert pinned app or something in Zscaler?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

The power went out at work yesterday. Just as I was rolling out a feature upgrade I'd been working on for 4 weeks. The power came back after 10 seconds, but it took 30 minutes to bring back all services online again, finish the rollout, verify everything worked, and tell everyone to update their poo poo and watch out for merge conflicts.

And then the power went out again. For 4 hours. I went home after the first hour.

Day well spent! :dumbbravo:

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Sywert of Thieves posted:

The power went out at work yesterday. Just as I was rolling out a feature upgrade I'd been working on for 4 weeks. The power came back after 10 seconds, but it took 30 minutes to bring back all services online again, finish the rollout, verify everything worked, and tell everyone to update their poo poo and watch out for merge conflicts.

And then the power went out again. For 4 hours. I went home after the first hour.

Day well spent! :dumbbravo:

what a day!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I just started a new job and I take back what I said about Teams.

Turns out with a competent team managing it, it’s actually good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bargearse posted:

Turns out with a competent team managing it, it’s actually good.

That applies for just about anything. I'm having a very different experience with Service Now than most people, but we went all in and built a large team to support it. Three plus years in and on top of ticketing and change management we've got a services portfolio with dependencies down to the NAS a VM is on. We have 9000 kinds of Configuration Item, including HR and Site Service' stuff. We have financial data for operational tasks. It's kinda crazy, every time I switch from my favorites to the full sidebar it's gotten longer.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I often look at all the things teams can do and wish staff would us it. Or slack. Or the help desk. Or anything other than email and text messages.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

:v: "hey I can't make this meeting can you reschedule"
:) "sure, when would be a good time?"
:v: :ghost:
:ghost:
:( *makes new meeting for whatever's not a conflict*

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

:v: "hey I can't make this meeting can you reschedule"
:) "sure, when would be a good time?"
:v: :ghost:
:ghost:
:( *makes new meeting for whatever's not a conflict*

The best thing is when they complain that they can’t make it to your rescheduled meeting.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Bargearse posted:

The best thing is when they complain that they can’t make it to your rescheduled meeting.

No, the best part is when you say "I can't make it Tuesday at 9:30, I have a weekly team meeting 9-10 on Tuesday." and they reschedule it for 9:30 next Tuesday.

Not that that has ever happened to me...

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Do not do this unless you hate them and yourself: Reschedule for 5PM on Friday

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Do not do this unless you hate them and yourself: Reschedule for 5PM on Friday

Work from home, grab a beer, "oh, my camera is broken, sorry". It's not like the meeting was important enough to be sober for to begin with, right?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just had a funny meeting where a guy from our European office asked if it's necessary to have a weekly Friday meeting at his 5pm/New York 10am. It used to be a team meeting at 930 on Wednesday. The boss basically said deal with it, We all work until 6 or 7pm every day. The British guy chuckled, knew there was no debate to be had and likey started updating his resume.

The boss was extremely disrespectful to a senior and extremely valuable resource that had a reasonable request to not tie him down to a mandatory meeting that ends after 6pm on Friday. I can't imagine he'll be around much longer.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Just had a funny meeting where a guy from our European office asked if it's necessary to have a weekly Friday meeting at his 5pm/New York 10am. It used to be a team meeting at 930 on Wednesday. The boss basically said deal with it, We all work until 6 or 7pm every day. The British guy chuckled, knew there was no debate to be had and likey started updating his resume.

The boss was extremely disrespectful to a senior and extremely valuable resource that had a reasonable request to not tie him down to a mandatory meeting that ends after 6pm on Friday. I can't imagine he'll be around much longer.
If he wants to cause problems he can just not show up and when anyone asks he points to it being scheduled after his contractual workday ends. There's gently caress all you can to to him if he's employed under UK law. If your boss is extra stupid and escalates to trying to get the dude fired then solid odds he'll get the company sued for unfair dismissal. As it stands dude could quit and sue for constructive dismissal already.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Why are people like this. ‘Everyone needs to be miserable cause I said so, rear end in a top hat!’

Arquinsiel posted:

If he wants to cause problems he can just not show up and when anyone asks he points to it being scheduled after his contractual workday ends. There's gently caress all you can to to him if he's employed under UK law. If your boss is extra stupid and escalates to trying to get the dude fired then solid odds he'll get the company sued for unfair dismissal. As it stands dude could quit and sue for constructive dismissal already.

TFW you realize even terrible rear end England has better labor laws than your stupid hellcountry

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My place of work has perfected the “ignore anything good and seize on to the slightest TPS report issue to make a mountain out of” style of management.

We’ve had three record breaking shifts in a row and are in the middle of a 4th and I had to practically browbeat my boss into acknowledging that fact before we went back to holding an inquisition over a recycling bin being overfilled.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We have so many IST resources that 9-11 ends up getting booked solid a lot. Sometimes an 8 or 8:30 pops up on my calendar and I decline "But all the other morning time is taken!" Tough, that's the choice we made when we staffed this way, find something to drop if the meeting is important enough.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Your boss is a dipshit.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

i am a moron posted:

Why are people like this. ‘Everyone needs to be miserable cause I said so, rear end in a top hat!’

TFW you realize even terrible rear end England has better labor laws than your stupid hellcountry

I mean it has for now, but only because we haven't yet purged those awful draconian EU laws from our books. When the Tories have a minute they'll get those statutes burned.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
My team lead, a very nice guy, has mastered the art of talking so much yet saying so little. It's grinding me down.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

My team lead, a very nice guy, has mastered the art of talking so much yet saying so little. It's grinding me down.

accenture has a few people in the Philippines that have mastered the art of that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Because I have to come into the office to do it, prepping new laptops for staff is something I really would rather not do. So believe me supervisor and CEO when I say we need new computers for people it's not a bit and I've done everything we can to avoid it. Like having to explain why it staff whose job it is to go into people's hotel rooms and interview them probably would be better off with a laptop instead of having to go into a central room to share a desktop where there already is complaints that there isn't enough space for people to work and there already isn't a spot for people to plug anything in, like I feel like I'm going insane.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Death to elasticsearch on kubernetes

Or, more specifically, death to managing it yourself. I’m sure the managed services offerings (“opensearch” lol) aren’t terrible. But elastic’s documentation is abysmal and effectively nonexistent. I’ve been trying to get APM going for months and just keep running into roadblocks with the elastic agent, wiring together ingresses and services, handling TLS, dealing with undocumented deployment models. Right now I’ve a lovely issue where all our synthetic agents are no longer doing their thing for reasons I cannot understand, which is just delightful. Logs indicate they can’t connect to a socket in the container, but the agent container is running as root, so I’ve no clue why we’re getting permission denied there ahhh.

I really increasingly dislike elasticsearch and don’t know how it’s as popular as it is when managing it yourself is this painful, and using elastic cloud is literally millions of dollars.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

It’s truly perplexing how often you find it in the wild considering what a dense, hostile piece of poo poo it is to deploy or maintain in any configuration. I’m sure theres probably a good reason for it being the way it is but goddamn does it stink to manage at any level or on any scale

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

At least if you manage it yourself, you can troubleshoot it yourself. If anything goes wrong on OpenSearch, you're in for a world of pain and there's nothing you can do to help. Other than that, it's great!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I can not emphasize enough how much I hated managing an on prem Elasticsearch cluster.

Just writing queries and making visualizations, sure all day every day. But the hell with managing it beyond that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've seen my org's flowchart for our log ingestion and it's a hot mess. They want me to learn elasticsearch and it's a dense motherfucker

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Learning the query language and building out dashboards and stuff is relatively straightforward and easy to do.

Standing up and managing a cluster, WELL, at least is a much more involved and difficult process.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
i had to explain over the phone long distance to a very angry client why they could not access their email.

"please, you will need to go back to your hotel to use your email. no, no, no, you can't access your email inside the control room because nuclear reactors do not connect to the internet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I can not emphasize enough how much I hated managing an on prem Elasticsearch cluster.

Just writing queries and making visualizations, sure all day every day. But the hell with managing it beyond that.

My first major project starting at the new company last summer was "hey, so we have this ancient ELK stack deployed via chef, opsworks, and cloudformation that hasn't been touched since 2018, could you do something about it?" My suggestion of "burn it all down and just ship everything to a logging PaaS" was unfortunately not taken seriously.