Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Primal kicks rear end and everyone should watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think Samurai Jack really suffered from Genndy having an ending planned out from the start and him sticking to it no matter what. Like the original plan was probably to have the romance be more drawn out and have them be closer in age. although that still wouldn't fix the problem of everything that Jack did in the series was mostly irrelevant because he changed the timeline and doomed billions of people if not more to non-existence

What part of "Undo the future that is Aku" did you not understand?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think Samurai Jack really suffered from Genndy having an ending planned out from the start and him sticking to it no matter what. Like the original plan was probably to have the romance be more drawn out and have them be closer in age. although that still wouldn't fix the problem of everything that Jack did in the series was mostly irrelevant because he changed the timeline and doomed billions of people if not more to non-existence

Genndy has a thing for these bittersweet sort of endings in case you haven't noticed. With his romances one half of the couple usually doesn't survive. Although I do agree a happier ending would be Jack coming to terms with the world he lived in now and making the most of it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEXa17ah-S0

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh, so they knew it was bullshit!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Xelkelvos posted:

What part of "Undo the future that is Aku" did you not understand?

Yeah, but the ending spells out that he is erasing everyone from existence. When I was watching season 5, I thought it was setting up Jack realizing that the past is the past, and he needs to accept that and move on from it. Sometimes a story has a character realize that the goal they are seeking out isn't something they actually want to or should achieve. There is still plenty of opportunity for a bittersweet ending.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, but the ending spells out that he is erasing everyone from existence. When I was watching season 5, I thought it was setting up Jack realizing that the past is the past, and he needs to accept that and move on from it. Sometimes a story has a character realize that the goal they are seeking out isn't something they actually want to or should achieve. There is still plenty of opportunity for a bittersweet ending.

Ngl I wanted this too but I just kind of resigned myself to what we got. I guess I've seen worse endings so I just shrugged and let it go.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
of all the problems with season 5’s ending, “undoing the megalomaniacal demon’s eons-king reign of suffering and despoilment” isn’t that high on the list

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The time travel story where the main character actually decides to stay in the future is Jak II :v:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

mycot posted:

The time travel story where the main character actually decides to stay in the future is Jak II :v:

Best one in the series too.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Jack just really wanted to erase that time he almost banged Aku.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Apparently this is happening??

https://twitter.com/CCNCartoonNews/status/1641099586499477507?t=ZllmOHbh8fZDaXNW2QFXig&s=19

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh cool, that always seemed like a neat version of the characters.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Considering how increasingly irrelevant cable tv is becoming, I'm not sure this is a good thing for the show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Honestly I feel like that might be better. AS at least still does programming like an actual TV network instead of enormous blocks of one or two shows. Also AS does start at 8 nowadays and that's a decent time to put a show to catch both a kid up late and an adult who just wants to watch a rerun of the Fox animated shows.... presuming they put it there and not like at midnight after a Rick & Morty rerun.

I mean it'll definitely be odd since it's ostensibly made for kids but it's probably still better than being a show only on HBO Max which, particularly for animated stuff, is like playing Russian roulette and hoping you're not the next content to be wiped forever.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 29, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahanTM/status/1640801085299511296?t=f8nfX0eUQcmLd40-dFQjXg&s=19

Yesssss.

I've rewatched season three a couple of times now, I can't wait to see more now that they've found their footing.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm sure the Superman show will still go onto HBO Max like other Adult Swim shows. Also the Twitter comments reminded me that Adult Swim is going to move up to cover 7PM, so this might be an in-betweener show for that block.

And yeah, HBO Max's official position last I checked is that they don't want to do kids shows/cartoons anymore so it was either getting canceled or pushed to a network.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Superman probably ends up fitting into that AT/SU demographic where it's appropriate for kids but a lot of young adults will enjoy it and get all the references. That also means it'll probably have a great and terrible fandom.

Which I hope you won't hold against the show because it's cute as heck and with the added bonus that the showrunner is 1000% not a creep. I've worked with him on 3 shows now and Jake is an absolute cinnamon muffin man. I have no idea how he's so successful given creator norms.

e: He just called me absolutely screaming with excitement that we're gonna be on Toonami. Childhood dream.

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 29, 2023

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Trailer for Unicorn Warriors Eternal (the new Genndy Tartakovsky thing) dropped - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbeNXwd9uLg

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

problematic associations notwithstanding, the james/desslar scene was probably the standout. perfect noir mix of weariness and tragedy

Finally got around to watching this last night I found myself going back and watching that scene multiple times. It was so well done.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Considering how increasingly irrelevant cable tv is becoming, I'm not sure this is a good thing for the show.
I mentioned it in the other thread but I think of the two demographics for cable TV to focus on, it's probably better to focus on adults who are still likely to either have cable TV or watch Video-on-Demand from cable networks, than kids who have moved to Youtube Kids and Twitch. I think the concept of a "kids network" beyond PBS Kids/Nick Jr is going to be extinct in a decade, and kids programming will propagate on Netflix-type services that serve all demos.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is great news! I've been looking forward to this show for a while and I was afraid it had been silently cancelled or fed to the tax monster in exchange for a write off.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahanTM/status/1640801085299511296?t=f8nfX0eUQcmLd40-dFQjXg&s=19

Yesssss.

I've rewatched season three a couple of times now, I can't wait to see more now that they've found their footing.

Another great show!

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Talk of unicorns reminded me of this trailer I came across recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ3sZDvsZwE

It actually looks pretty good.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm willing to bet you got that from the same reddit thread I did. It looks interesting but I'm not sure I'll ever actually watch it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I definitely like the art direction they're going with this. I just hope it's like a slightly more mature Superman the animated series and not like--dropping sex and poo poo jokes every other sentence. Y'know it's kinda funny to me how a lot of adult animation can come off as "See! We used bad words and gross out humor that means we're for grown ups!!" And by default it kind of makes it almost even more childish than the standard.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Flopsy posted:

I definitely like the art direction they're going with this. I just hope it's like a slightly more mature Superman the animated series and not like--dropping sex and poo poo jokes every other sentence. Y'know it's kinda funny to me how a lot of adult animation can come off as "See! We used bad words and gross out humor that means we're for grown ups!!" And by default it kind of makes it almost even more childish than the standard.

I think the spectrum goes from Harley Quinn on one end, and Velma on the other.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I mean, it was originally scheduled to go on Cartoon Network so I get imagine it's that dirty. It's probably teen-oriented.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Royal Crackers has been renewed for season 2 before the official show premiere this Sunday. I guess Adult Swim got good feedback after putting the pilot on YouTube.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

I mean, it was originally scheduled to go on Cartoon Network so I get imagine it's that dirty. It's probably teen-oriented.

I dunno might have to do with the violence actually involving blood or something.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Flopsy posted:

I dunno might have to do with the violence actually involving blood or something.

It's probably this. We definitely had some bloodied character designs and lots of battered Supes turns. Also doesn't shy away from dead characters being dead.

It's not a gently caress and tits sort of show whatsoever. There was a lot of weight put on emotional beats and it's generally got a very kind outlook on people. Superman is a big ol' innocent himbo dork and it's cute as hell.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yesssss.

I genuinely didn't like the first few episodes of Lower Decks because it felt like the only joke was 'Star Trek is weird' and it is, but it felt like :thejoke:. They've moved on and you get really funny things like Boimler flipping out at the career day on people who take Starfleet for granted.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Starring Luz Lane

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I genuinely didn't like the first few episodes of Lower Decks because it felt like the only joke was 'Star Trek is weird' and it is, but it felt like :thejoke:. They've moved on and you get really funny things like Boimler flipping out at the career day on people who take Starfleet for granted.

Such a great scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHVQ2BckZn4&t=61s

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

It's probably this. We definitely had some bloodied character designs and lots of battered Supes turns. Also doesn't shy away from dead characters being dead.

It's not a gently caress and tits sort of show whatsoever. There was a lot of weight put on emotional beats and it's generally got a very kind outlook on people. Superman is a big ol' innocent himbo dork and it's cute as hell.

There's nothing about this statement I don't love. Just perfection all around.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oh my god. "The Doctor didn't spend seven years in the Delta Quadrant so you could question his agency! He's got rights!"

I completely missed that watching that episode. I need to go through this series again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"STOP TRAPPING PEOPLE INSIDE OF GAMES!"

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Warbird posted:

I'm willing to bet you got that from the same reddit thread I did. It looks interesting but I'm not sure I'll ever actually watch it.

Rottentomatoes.com actually, trying to find where their box office rankings disappeared to.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

very owl house look to it. also i like that they are going with "clark is big weird awkard doofus" thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vffu6FG4YP4

anyway lakadaisy pilot hit. I like it enough. i think some of the writing isnt my thing but i never read the comic but apperently this is a pilot and they want to make more.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Lackadaisy pilot was promising but also a lot of “it’s fine”. The rough sketches being visible a lot felt weird, and there was also a weird lack of music so a lot of scenes felt unusually silent when you’re used to that sort of thing. The cajun siblings were just as much of a treat to hear as they were to read, solid choices there for casting.

But it has SungWon Cho in it so naturally I want more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

very owl house look to it. also i like that they are going with "clark is big weird awkard doofus" thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vffu6FG4YP4

anyway lakadaisy pilot hit. I like it enough. i think some of the writing isnt my thing but i never read the comic but apperently this is a pilot and they want to make more.

Haven't watched the whole thing yet, but from what I've already seen yeah the comic is basically exactly this beat-for-beat.