Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ex post facho posted:

this doesn't have the legendary restriction that Kiki-Jiki has tho :stonkhat: it's even slightly faster

I think it's a pretty OK value card but it doesn't have haste itself, it's sorcery speed, and costs mana. Interesting for lower powered Commander and Cubes that don't want to go full combo but I don't think it sees any constructed play. I think it's also one of the Jumpstart cards so it won't show up in Limited.

I'm calling WotC out for not having a side story featuring Skrelv the Defector Mite fighting alongside the Segovians to protect the miniature plane.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Wayne Reynolds Dual Cat Rainbow Road Drifting card wins art of the set, for me. So far.

Wow I didn't know Ke$ha was a Magic artist.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I would pay a good amount of money for this on a playmat

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I feel like the trade off is that you're paying for the copies. Though if you're making a copy of like.. archon of cruelty or atraxa I guess that doesn't really matter

Monored Atraxa sometimes ends up with enough mana to goof around with, but usually if you're at the pointing of casting Atraxa and they don't immediately counter or kill it, you're definitely winning and I don't know if opponent would even stick around to let you make a copy.

Mirror breaker isn't even in red lists right now, only see them in Rakdos decks. Might could work there, haven't played it myself to know.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Wayne Reynolds Dual Cat Rainbow Road Drifting card wins art of the set, for me. So far.

Love this, I like it more than the 90s binder secret lair, the rainbowing feels more genuine, not a joke.

Also the card the other amazing art from this set kinda mediocre. And is it me or is green just absolutely overloaded with 3 and 4 drops?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I thought esika got killed by vorinclex

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
A lot of fun cards in this set. Some of the battles are very good on rate even without the flip side.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Phyrexia is just a rip off of the machine world of the matrix. Elesh Norn is the big fat baby machine and eslpeth is neo.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I've purposely strayed away from Simic commander decks but I'm going to make an exception.

Strong Sauce posted:

also that beautiful art is on a uncommon 4 mana sorcery.

I love Invasion of Segovia. Somehow they won even though their champion is basically a millipede.

I called that art being on a crap limited uncommon. Usually the best previewed art ends up on cards that are unplayable outside of limited. For some reason this also goes for story beats - Karn holding Elesh Norn's head and Elspeth lancing Elesh Norn should both be on cards that have a power level above "playable draft removal".

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012

Pherexians are just the Cybermen from Dr. Who.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Broke: Elspeth is Neo
Woke: Phyrexians are Cybermen
Bespoke: Karn is Astro-Boy

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
IIRC, Ugin didn’t tell Jace he SHOULDNT kill the Eldrazi, Ugin told him he can’t kill the Eldrazi because their forms are only vestigial projections.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I thought esika got killed by vorinclex
She was super wounded and it was implied she would die, but I guess she got better off screen.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

neaden posted:

She was super wounded and it was implied she would die, but I guess she got better off screen.

she got better on-card

also, this art is great too

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunice_aphroditois
That Caetus creature is in fact a Bobbit worm, a warm saltwater predator that ambushes and grapples prey and can bite prey in half with its mandibles. They are notorious for hitching rides on large rocks and such used later on as complex terrain for tropical fish tanks, where they become voracious apex predators in the enclosed environment.

quote:

E. aphroditois senses passing prey with its antennae, seizes the prey with its mouth, and drags it into its burrow.
Looking closely between the foot and Caetus, that's probably a real life scale bobbit worm/descendant of one that was brought to Segovia from another plane and avoided the size-scaling enchantment somehow.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Before I look it up just wanna say I'm excited they made a plane out of the Giant level from Super Mario Bros 3

Edit:
During New Phyrexia's Invasion of the Multiverse, Segovia appears to have been invaded by exactly two Phyrexian centurions.

Okay now I'm just annoyed we already have an Inner space plane basically as we never go there

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 30, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Can't wait for the inevitable weenie Segovian-themed EDH deck.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don’t think there’s a satisfying way to do a whole set on Segovia, so I’m glad we get these little glimpses from time to time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vidmaster posted:

Only the set? This might be one of the all time best pieces of MtG art.

Big agree, I love it

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Jiro posted:

I kinda hope that the next storyline stops going into "HUGE WORLD SHAKING MULTIVERSE EVENT" and goes more into smaller but still cool things like delving more into Dihada and how she's been around forever messing and manipulating Jared Carthalion and Dakkon. Or building up Baron Signir, actually making Oko an interesting antagonist, another conspiracy set that revolves around a trial of Ajani on Theros for his taking part of almost destroying it, or a trial on Dominaria for the murder of Jaya.

there were similar complaints about the story right around the formation of the jacetice league, and WOTC did respond to feedback by writing sets where the whole gatewatch wasn't present for every plot beat, which did help a bit.

IMO if you look at the timeline of "multiverse will never be the same" set releases the problem is pretty obvious
Invasion (2000)
Time Spiral (2006)
War of the Spark (2019)
MOM (2023)

MOM just happened way too soon. idk what the right cadence is but 4 years is definitely not it

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

whydirt posted:

I don’t think there’s a satisfying way to do a whole set on Segovia, so I’m glad we get these little glimpses from time to time
It's better as a running gag that never gets fully explored

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

The boys!!!!!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Love this, hell yes

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Doing a tag team wrestling combo was not what I expected, but ok.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Khanstant posted:

Haha have a hard time picturing the board I can use this with but just lol at the triples is best

My prerelease promo card right here

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
what's the deal with segovia

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

ex post facho posted:

ok jerry

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

ex post facho posted:

it's small there

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

dragon enthusiast posted:

MOM just happened way too soon. idk what the right cadence is but 4 years is definitely not it

Given how many new sets came out in that four years, kind of disagree. I even loved the interlude throwback set BRO. But it did feel like that could have been better intertwined with the current story.

Big sin to my mind is that they undid the most visible consequence of the baddies, and that the nadir moment only happened moments before they lost. I'm armchair writing here for sure, but it'd probably have been more satisfying if the last chapter was part of the Epilogue story, rather than included in the set. ONE set up the baddies, and MOM could have just sat on the mutli-verse war with both sides having casualties and us wondering how it'll resolve.

It is at least less dorky than the Gatewatch stuff.

whydirt posted:

Agree, which is why it's prime for one of those EDH precons.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

ex post facho posted:

So long ago this card was printed

Giant leviathan, clearly dwarfing the whales it's next too. But it's just a 3/3 instead of a 20/20 or whatever. That became a joke where Wizards then decided Segovia was a teeny tiny plane where everything is small. So Segovia Angels are just 1/1s for instance. If you plansewalk there you become small, but if you take something with you it stays the same size when you revert.

neaden fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 30, 2023

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

it's small there

Ah OK. I missed that plane's lore

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

neaden posted:

So long ago this card was printed

Giant leviathan, clearly dwarfing the whales it's next too. But it's just a 3/3 instead of a 20/20 or whatever. That became a joke where Wizards then decided Segovia was a teeny tiny plane where everything is small. So Segovia Angels are just 1/1s for instance. If you plansewalk there you become small, but if you take something with you it stays the same size when you revert.

lolling at the flavor text pull from "The Bible" whatever that is

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The 1/1 Kraken with trample make a whole hell of a lot more sense now

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

ram dass in hell posted:

lolling at the flavor text pull from "The Bible" whatever that is

Speaking of nadir of magic story...

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I feel like the trade off is that you're paying for the copies. Though if you're making a copy of like.. archon of cruelty or atraxa I guess that doesn't really matter

The tradeoff is you don't get a pile of value so you're paying 4 for a creature you need to untap and use the ability of on another creature.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Catillac grills, Catillac mill's
Check out the oil my Catillac spills
Matter of fact, candy paint Catillacs kill
So check out the hoes my Catillac fills

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The tradeoff is you don't get a pile of value so you're paying 4 for a creature you need to untap and use the ability of on another creature.

Mostly it just seems incredibly bad unless you are copying something that just instantly gives you value. But if you can untap with it your probably already winning so yeah, potentially fun but almost certainly bad

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Silhouette posted:

Catillac grills, Catillac mill's
Check out the oil my Catillac spills
Matter of fact, candy paint Catillacs kill
So check out the hoes my Catillac fills

:golfclap:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 30, 2023

Adbot