Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PENGUINMAN
Mar 28, 2023

Vic posted:

Oh yeah I've been playing some Fortnite with my best friends Daisuke and Penguinman across the world. They built a nice cozy house around me then self-defensed me in it.

Fortnite was fun! let's do this again

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::aaaaa::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

RBA Starblade posted:

Hell yeah and lol at the perma banned op in the pic

Well, I definitely didn't expect to see this today. That's really wonderful that the author has given us his blessing. I'm glad we'll be able to continue translating this very unique comic.

ダイイスケ先生、「とあるニートの日常」を翻訳して続くことを許してくれてブチ忝い!そして「ニート」を描いてくれて有難う御座います!

CodfishCartographer posted:

The Daily Life of a Certain NEET: Something Awful Forums is the best site, isn't it?

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I love this comic. I love this thread.

SavageMessiah posted:

SA is relevant again!

Hot Stunt posted:

You heard the author, keep translating MORE and MORE!

Grevling posted:

I'm glad the author is both cool with the translation and excited that he has a fanbase he didn't know about.

I'm very happy we'll be able to continue translating for everyone! And now we don't have to worry anymore about the author disapproving. Well, until they find out about FYAD ADTRW.

I'm going to quote a bunch of posts to highlight them, hopefully it's not too long of a post.

PENGUINMAN posted:

Daisuke says he wants to play Fortnite with SA Forum members For those who participate, go to YouTube

Vic posted:

I already added him on epic. His Fortnite/Epic ID is "daiisuke0"

:aaa: I'm on TV! YouTube!

Haifisch posted:

He's drawing Iron Man for us:

kiminewt posted:

If anyone wants to catch one of his streams, it looks like he mainly draws & plays videogames. Next one's on Friday.

kiminewt posted:

... he wishes he knew English

Saem.

pnumoman posted:

Listening to the dude talk about the forums with my tiny bit of Japanese makes me wonder, how the hell would I explain the forums to someone who speaks English, much less a foreign language? A cesspool of old nerds of all types? An insular backwater of the internet that used to be big, is now irrelevant, yet still exists? The last vestige of the old internet that sucked but is still better than what's out there? The forums our NEET would frequent if he knew English?

Imagine three rice balls on the edge of cliff...

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I get the feeling the author would be just as interested as we are about why the translators chose to word things certain ways.

Poor grades in English.

PENGUINMAN posted:

HelloWorld
I’m PENGUINMAN

Hello, welcome!

RBA Starblade posted:

Welcome to these alive thriving forums

PENGUINMAN posted:

sorry it's a japanese joke

This reminds me of when I would tell my Japanese students a joke. They would just stare at me until one would announce "AMERICAN JOKE!" and then they'd all laugh.

:siren: Here's Daiisuke's Patreon again: https://www.patreon.com/paintmanga_daiisuke
Please feel free to contribute if you can so that we may continue to have many more years of NEET!

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Looks like I missed the party.

I've been kinda in a daze since this all dropped. Seeing some of my translation in that YouTube thumbnail is unreal.

Today also marks the two year anniversary since I started translating this comic. I never thought I'd stick with it this long, or end up getting Daiisuke's approval.

I'm really too stunned to say anything more than that. Good work everyone. Let's keep this crazy train movin'. :toot:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Don't follow this thread much at all besides the occasional name change but it's kinda awesome the creator is full on cheering y'all on in translating this! Keep up the good work :)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Now that this translation has the author's blessing, it would be cool to eventually arrange for it to be hosted on his site, drive some traffic and maybe ad revenue his way.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Oh man, this is super cool :) Backed the Patreon!

Have been trying to make sense of the live stream too, a few things maybe people know better:
a) it seems that "oh, boy" on one of the comments here was literally translated as "aa- shounen" and caused some confusion. I'm surprised GTranslate doesn't catch that one :)
b) he seemed surprised at Nohara being called "princess" here, is it a more normal name than we thought? Also it must have been a bit weird seeing the "princess happy at drunk Tooru" animation given that he knew about the later frames where Princess says she's not into Tooru

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Wow, best possible result! Glad the author is so generous.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

So I've been watching the livestream with couple of goons with google translate on. Kiminewt was there translating for us in the chat. I've been trying to communicate using google translate to varying success.

I'll try to provide some highlights for reference for our translators

1. Daisuke-san talks about what happened and how he found out about the forum.
  2. Confused about how a post from 2018 contains the image he made yesterday (the mod edit to the OP)
  3. Is excited about his rapidly rising patreon subscribers and talks about that for a bit.
  4. Back to the forums.
  5. Notices we're live-posting and uses google translate for forum posts to hilarious results.
  6. Wonders about what I'm implying when talking about his part time job salary. Removes tie. Scrolls past grandmas.
  7. Reacts to:

LookieLoo posted:

Honestly was just dreading neet author finding us and shutting us down, probably from someone reaching out, kind of a load off. I don't really want to watch him eat meat but I'll chuck him some cash when I've got some.

Vic posted:

I'm watching the livestream and he's popping off at the amount of money he already got
    Looks happy, pours a 9% lager, talks about Kaizo Mario?
  8. Reacts to:
  9. Another patron!
  10. Plant MONSTER. posted:

hell yes mspaint animation time this is for brother make edit-fixed some stuff

11. Hime chan, Princess?
  12. Reaction
  13. Reacts:

14. Reacts:

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

Reacts
    Thank You for all the work you've been putting into this comic translators! I've been enjoying it alot, and in tribute I did a little fanart of everyones favorite budding criminal couple!

15. Makes some calculations and thinks about quitting his night shift

16. Layers upon layers

17. SA forum, very good site! SA forum, strong zero. Alcohol, 9%. Kampai.

It's just the first 50 minutes out of 4+ hours, but that's his reactions to forums. He then paints some manga, so possible spoilers.

Vic fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 29, 2023

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

kissekatt posted:

Time for self-defense!

Umbreon posted:

Whoever is in contact with him, tell him we can get him an account. I'll gladly do it.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Vic posted:

So I've been watching the livestream with couple of goons with google translate on. Kiminewt was there translating for us in the chat. I've been trying to communicate using google translate to varying success.

1. Daisuke-san talks about what happened and how he found out about the forum.
  2. Confused about how a post from 2018 contains the image he made yesterday (the mod edit to the OP)
  3. Is excited about his rapidly rising patreon subscribers and talks about that for a bit.
  4. Back to the forums.
  5. Notices we're live-posting and uses google translate for forum posts to hilarious results.
  6. Wonders about what I'm implying when talking about his part time job salary. Removes tie. Scrolls past grandmas.
  7. Reacts to:

Looks happy, pours a 9% lager, talks about Kaizo Mario?
  8. Reacts to:

9. Another patron!

10. Hime chan, Princess?
  11. Reaction

12. Reacts:

13. Reacts:

14. Makes some calculations and thinks about quitting his night shift

15. Layers upon layers

16. SA forum, very good site! SA forum, strong zero. Alcohol, 9%. Kampai.

It's just the first 50 minutes out of 4+ hours, but that's his reactions to forums. He then paints some manga, so possible spoilers.

Thank you for posting this. It’s so delightful. I’m so happy this thread has made him feel so good.

PENGUINMAN
Mar 28, 2023
Daiisuke will start streaming now access here

https://youtube.com/@daiisuke0

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

PENGUINMAN posted:

Daiisuke will start streaming now access here

https://youtube.com/@daiisuke0

Hi Penguinman! It's early morning in the Americas, so when Mr. Daiisuke live-streams, it's going to be mostly us Europeans watching. Americans who like NEET are very lazy, but I will work hard and watch all the live streams.

EDIT: Except for Brother Make, Mackerel Cornflake and all our translators who work very hard to post more NEET.

Vic fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 29, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
incredible turn of events

cracking open a cold one for absolute moron crew

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Vic posted:

Thank you both for your service! :patriot:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Aww, he's growing up so fast

Better late than never

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

My boy Touru needs to be taught to use a rice cooker.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

In case it isn't apparent, he's apologizing for his insensitive "joke", not for picking his nose and flinging it across the room like a goober.

Mackerel Cornflake fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 29, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I like how this guy is so unpleasant that up until 5 minutes ago his own grandma and aunt(?) thought he was fuckin dead, and already they're like "ok well, off you go now" lol

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Devils Affricate posted:

I like how this guy is so unpleasant that up until 5 minutes ago his own grandma and aunt(?) thought he was fuckin dead, and already they're like "ok well, off you go now" lol

I think she's about to clarify that he needs to talk to the cops

This is based on the assumption that he isn't a murderer and arsonist trying to dodge Johnny law

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

I think she's about to clarify that he needs to talk to the cops

This is based on the assumption that he isn't a murderer and arsonist trying to dodge Johnny law

I mean even before that, they were only mildly relieved to see that he's ok. Family member comes back from the dead and their response is "oh, you're still alive, I guess."

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Devils Affricate posted:

I mean even before that, they were only mildly relieved to see that he's ok. Family member comes back from the dead and their response is "oh, you're still alive, I guess."

"Don't you have a smoldering pile of ashes to get home to?"

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demiard
Or one gou - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ge_(unit)#Japan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix#Non-standard_prefixes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butt_(unit)
Honorable mention for: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_(unit) "It is one rear end load."

Edit: Fixed hyphenation

Brother Make fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 31, 2023

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Demi 'ard
Butt
rear end load

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I didn't know shitton was a measure of liquid volume

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Has anyone explained the localization gag to the original artist? I've enjoyed watching it go from "I'll roughly convert yen to dollars" to redrawing currency and using obscure non-metric measurements.

I hope I get to see smoots some day.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

quote:

In North America, the three unit names became associated with American and British units of similar sizes, where the demiard was a half-pint, the chopine was a pint, and the pinte was a quart.[3]

:negative:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Has anyone explained the localization gag to the original artist? I've enjoyed watching it go from "I'll roughly convert yen to dollars" to redrawing currency and using obscure non-metric measurements.

I hope I get to see smoots some day.

Well I kinda wanted to ask him about NEET stuff but google translate is kinda crap from english to japanese. But so far I explained SA forums as "People in their 40s who think they are funny" which him and the chat vibed with.

I don't wanna put any pressure on the translators, but I bet he'd be down for an interview or Q&A. I popped into the chat today to say good evening and he's like "SA forum vidovic!" and put on chatGPT to translate for me. He's awesome.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Rice is easy. for each thing of rice, use two things of water

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Oh lord, now it makes sense!

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lmao

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vic posted:

google translate is kinda crap from english to japanese

DeepL is way better. https://www.deepl.com/translator It isn't perfect, though, especially for a context-heavy language like Japanese. Expect it to gently caress up pronouns in particular.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

DeepL is way better. https://www.deepl.com/translator It isn't perfect, though, especially for a context-heavy language like Japanese. Expect it to gently caress up pronouns in particular.

Yeah I've been using it today and it's much better.

Also an update: Daiisuke himself found the thread by googling the japanese equivalent of "neet manga". link

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
how can he see her dead body if she's probably a pile of ash with a pair of cartoon eyes on top by now?

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

:mildpanic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

This murder-arson is making me thirsty