Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I think the probes flow a little bit too heavily but if that what keeps this thread from becoming "NATO is the real badguy" and "the nukes are launching any second now" I understand. I do think the video restrictions are a bit of an overreaction and we shouldn't let a group of drama stirrers decide policy for the whole forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kavros posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russia-detains-us-journalist-espionage-wall-street-journal-rcna77354

russia has detained wall street journal reporter Evan Gershkovich for "espionage in the interests of the American government," and "collecting information constituting a state secret about the activities of one of the enterprises of the russian military-industrial complex"

earlier had been an involved author on a story titled "russia’s economy is starting to come undone"

Is this going to prompt western outlets (or maybe companies in general) to pull most of their remaining people out of Russia?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You're correct in that this is not the appropriate thread to litigate a site-wide rule, and I think that it is plausible for your to see a discussion about it that you expect. While it depends on what version of the rule we get in the end, I think that the more plausible range of outcomes could affect any visual imagery where you could see a person getting severly hurt, tortured, dying, killed, or simply being dead already. Which could, depending on the precise wording, impact not only the war threads, but also TFR/GIP as subforums, all threads that post dash cams or OSHA stuff, all threads about American news, history threads discussing WW2 or whatever, sports accidents, and undoubtedly more things that I'm not immediately recalling.

From what I've been told there is going to be 'nuance', so that it only bans non-GIP Ukraine war threads and videos of cops killing people, its intended victims.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Is this going to prompt western outlets (or maybe companies in general) to pull most of their remaining people out of Russia?

There’s already a scant number of them remaining after the fake war news law from last March. That said, I would expect another tranche of journalists to depart the country.

Companies not so much, however, since those that remain are clearly don’t give a poo poo.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rinkles posted:

Most likely not. Some journalists will probably leave to stay safe, but that's exactly what Russia wanted to accomplish. They don't want to ban foreign journalists, they want to create an environment that will pressure them to leave on their own accord. Companies who valued the Russian market enough to stay for the past year, will stay because the market is still there.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I am utterly perplexed by the idea that what SA needs is a sitewide rule that would be so broad that, for instance, the George Floyd recording couldn't be posted anywhere on the site. That really seems to utterly miss the mark on every level.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I am utterly perplexed by the idea that what SA needs is a sitewide rule that would be so broad that, for instance, the George Floyd recording couldn't be posted anywhere on the site. That really seems to utterly miss the mark on every level.

Such a rule makes perfect sense if you support what's happening, however.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Antigravitas posted:

Support what exactly?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Support what exactly?

Don't.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Cinci I feel like a lot of the reason you have a reputation for being iron fisted in moderation here, and why people might not be posting as much, is that you often come across as unnecessarily abrasive when dealing with people. You sometimes add unnecessary threats to your warnings, you're brusque and short in responding to people, and when you disagree with someone's points it can feel like the atmosphere is crowding out any room for people to disagree with you or your points for fear of catching a sixer or more due to the first two reasons I mentioned.

For example:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Admin-imposed rules I'm obviously not placed to review. Hence, if you go on another meta rant to poo poo on other posters while still not providing any actionable feedback for this thread, I will send you into orbit.

Like..okay. We know you have buttons. Your point wasn't unreasonable, nor was your enforcement. However, you can make your point without this kind of response that discourages people seeing it from responding because it makes you come off as a power-tripping button pusher who holds probations over peoples' heads like a posting Sword of Damocles.

It is also strange that you want people to make effort posts but openly say yourself that you no longer wish to do the news summaries because people didn't read them. If people didn't read your effort posts, why would they read others? Did they read others, but not yours? Why or why not? Is it the type of effort post, or the content? The standard for posting in this thread is quite high, to the point where it appears to be too high for you yourself to meet. Saying things like this:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Instead of accusing people of posting too poorly to satisfy your interests, you could be the poster who steps up and makes the post with that link.

While also saying that you were wasting your time posting news roundups and the like, it seems counter productive and also counter-intuitive to your goals.

I rarely post in here anymore (and this used to be my main posting thread for this topic) because I don't always want to post in an academic manner or catch a sixer every time I want to talk about something. It's exhausting.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 30, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I think people are also pushing back against arbitrary admin-imposed rules that don't improve the site or foster discussion, but the opposite.

"It's coming from the admins and I can't do anything about it" makes us mad because you're in a much stronger position to do something about it than the rest of us.

Maybe you actually can't do anything about it, but at least understand our frustration.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

For example:

Like..okay. We know you have buttons. Your point wasn't unreasonable, nor was your enforcement. However, you can make your point without this kind of response that discourages people seeing it from responding because it makes you come off as a power-tripping button pusher who holds probations over peoples' heads like a posting Sword of Damocles.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

an over-sensitive response to placate loud, aggressive, and unhinged posters
Nelson's post could've provided all the feedback it meant to provide without stirring cross-forum drama, and I want to leave no room for misinterpretation that I will harshly shoot down any attempts to launder your own pet peeves against your posting enemies through an invitation to offer feedback about the thread. That would be a very bad direction for this place to go, and I am explicitly disinterested in signalling any openness to that.

HonorableTB posted:

Cinci I feel like a lot of the reason you have a reputation for being iron fisted in moderation here, and why people might not be posting as much, is that you often come across as unnecessarily abrasive when dealing with people. You sometimes add unnecessary threats to your warnings, you're brusque and short in responding to people, and when you disagree with someone's points it can feel like the atmosphere is crowding out any room for people to disagree with you or your points for fear of catching a sixer or more due to the first two reasons I mentioned.
That is fair. The intent behind my warnings, and why I keep them short and to the point, is to remove ambiguity from my moderation, i.e., that fear you allude to, since I have received over a thousand PMs last year, predominantly to argue or complain about probations the claimants don't fully understand.

HonorableTB posted:

It is also strange that you want people to make effort posts but openly say yourself that you no longer wish to do the news summaries because people didn't read them. If people didn't read your effort posts, why would they read others? Did they read others, but not yours? Why or why not? Is it the type of effort post, or the content? The standard for posting in this thread is quite high, to the point where it appears to be too high for you yourself to meet.
I don't expect (as in, demand of) people to make effort posts, and neither do I ever plan to do so, as no one owes me their time. Consequently, I don't understand what this paragraph is about, especially the last sentence.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 30, 2023

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If you have an example of a probation you don't understand, you can link it and we can discuss it while this runs.

I don't want to overstate- it's only happened a couple of times that I can recall (I don't remember the specifics, sorry, I know that's not super useful).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This thread has IMO been consistently good and at this point combat footage just isn't that insightful, although I expect there will be exceptions in the future (NATO equipment supplied to Ukraine making battlefield debuts, footage proving that towns/cities are in Ukrainian hands).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

While also saying that you were wasting your time posting news roundups and the like, it seems counter productive and also counter-intuitive to your goals.

Do you think it takes multiple hours of writing effort to post a single link with a 6-word question that was included in the post that quote concerns? How is this comparable to writing exhaustive summaries of multiple days of the news cycle on a strict schedule with no deviations?

HonorableTB posted:

I rarely post in here anymore (and this used to be my main posting thread for this topic) because I don't always want to post in an academic manner or catch a sixer every time I want to talk about something. It's exhausting.

Point taken, but my interest in “academic posting” is to not see people ctrl+c ctrl+v the first lame meme they find on Twitter. As far as my moderation intent is concerned, the only guaranteed probations are for untagged :nws: / :nms: stuff, and for feuding with posters in this thread or elsewhere on SA.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

I think people are also pushing back against arbitrary admin-imposed rules that don't improve the site or foster discussion, but the opposite.

"It's coming from the admins and I can't do anything about it" makes us mad because you're in a much stronger position to do something about it than the rest of us.

Maybe you actually can't do anything about it, but at least understand our frustration.

It's perfectly fine to push back against admin rules, but D&D is not QCS, and doing that in D&D will just get the D&D thread gassed by admins. I have no interest in that happening, and I will act accordingly to prevent that.

As for myself, I'm obviously not interested in, e.g., being under an obligation to ban people for posting the wrong article from the Human Rights Watch or the Financial Times. Since this is a conversation happening despite that, you may make your own conclusions about whether if I am in a meaningfully stronger position to do something about it than you are.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

I like the modding rules and the thread atmosphere they create. Worst case scenario you catch a sixer who cares

DTurtle posted:

This is my opinion as well. I feel like some people view getting a sixer for stuff is just short of a permaban, when it usually seems more of a slight slap on the wrist.

Yeah if there's one thing I learned during my brief, lamentable term as a mod it's that there's actually a huge number of posters who view an "unjustified" (as they see it) six-hour probation as basically the worst insult imaginable.

Also this, imo,

Deteriorata posted:

is an absolutely nutso opinion to have.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I think Turkey voting in favour of Finland and Sweden's accession of NATO is also a reason why he invited Putin - he really wants to keep projecting this image of neutrality (and/or continuing to keep both sides happy).

Turkey is only voting on Finland. Sweden's application is still indefinitely stalled; Finland bailed on the "let's apply together" thing right after some Danish guy went and burned a Koran in front of the Turkish embassy, although the Sweden accession talks with Turkey weren't doing so hot before that either.

Hungary also did not vote on Sweden.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I don't think combat footage should be blanket banned, although I honestly haven't clicked any NMS links myself since the first month of the war, and have no interest in watching soldiers blow each other up. I'm definitely for nuking "sick fites" responses, though.

And I think this thread is valuable just as a non-American news aggregator. I find a lot of value in the EU/DE/etc. articles that are posted here, and I probably have more exposure to the European media perspective of the war than the American one at this point, since here we have the anodyne news networks that don't provide much useful information, and outside of them, anything beyond NYT/WaPo seems to devolve straight to THE WAR OF NATO AGGRESSION.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah if there's one thing I learned during my brief, lamentable term as a mod it's that there's actually a huge number of posters who view an "unjustified" (as they see it) six-hour probation as basically the worst insult imaginable.

Yeah, the team in-joke is that anger is inversely proportional to a probation duration. I've had like a dozen PMs long exchange over a sixer on multiple occasions, and we sometimes joke about testing like a 30-60 minute probation.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Saladman posted:

Turkey is only voting on Finland. Sweden's application is still indefinitely stalled; Finland bailed on the "let's apply together" thing right after some Danish guy went and burned a Koran in front of the Turkish embassy, although the Sweden accession talks with Turkey weren't doing so hot before that either.

Danish guy with known connections to Russia, funny that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maybe to retry from a different angle.

My theory, from the outcome of the summaries experiment, is that a non-trivial number of posters does basically scroll past posts that don't have Twitter or YouTube embeds in them. I think that I am to blame for that, by endorsing and promoting that posting style through much of the posts made last year, and I would like to attempt to fix that, starting with asking everyone to write a sentence or two of their own for every link they post. Even if the theory is wrong, that would still be good posting hygiene for all of us, which is why we will be moving in that direction.

The other, less clearly separated part of that conversation, is my disinterest in doing news aggregation on my own on a regular basis, as a poster. This doesn't mean that I'm disinterested in posting news (I haven't done so much recently since I'm very busy IRL until summer), or that I expect someone else to be the thread news editor now. This means that for a steady stream of interesting news and updates from Twitter, Telegram, and elsewhere in the community, an (uncoordinated) group effort will be the most likely outcome to see that happen.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 30, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Someone on the inside leaked a huge trove of documents from NTC Vulkan, a Russian "contractor" that does cybercrimes, to Der Spiegel (in German).

Edit: Actually it was leaked to a reporter from Süddeutsche Zeitung first and then provided to Der Spiegel et all.

Here's a non-paywalled Washington Post article about it.

The lede:

quote:

Russian intelligence agencies worked with a Moscow-based defense contractor to strengthen their ability to launch cyberattacks, sow disinformation and surveil sections of the internet, according to thousands of pages of confidential corporate documents.

The documents detail a suite of computer programs and databases that would allow Russia’s intelligence agencies and hacking groups to better find vulnerabilities, coordinate attacks and control online activity. The documents suggest the firm was supporting operations including both social media disinformation and training to remotely disrupt real-world targets, such as sea, air and rail control systems.

An anonymous person provided the documents from the contractor, NTC Vulkan, to a German reporter after expressing outrage about Russia’s attack on Ukraine. The leak, an unusual occurrence for Russia’s secretive military industrial complex, demonstrates another unintended consequence of President Vladimir Putin’s decision to take his country to war.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 30, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Maybe to retry from a different angle.

My theory, from the outcome of the summaries experiment, is that a non-trivial number of posters does basically scroll past posts that don't have Twitter or YouTube embeds in them. I think that I am to blame for that, by endorsing and promoting that posting style through much of the posts made last year, and I would like to attempt to fix that, starting with asking everyone to write a sentence or two of their own for every link they post. Even if the theory is wrong, that would still be good posting hygiene for all of us, which is why we will be moving in that direction.

The other, less clearly separated part of that conversation, is my disinterested in doing news aggregation on my own on a regular basis, as a poster. This doesn't mean that I'm disinterested in posting news (I haven't done so much recently since I'm very busy IRL until summer), or that I expect someone else to be the thread news editor now. This means that for a steady stream of interesting news and updates from Twitter, Telegram, and elsewhere in the community, an (uncoordinated) group effort will be the most likely outcome to see that happen.

don't post links without commentary has been a D&D wide rule for years and maybe my memory is poo poo but I'm pretty sure it is extremely not a regular occurrence in here?

E: clicking a page at random, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014579&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=262 that seems to be pretty much exactly how links should be presented according to d&d standards and rules (barring stuff that requires significant additional contextualization or w/e)

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 30, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

don't post links without commentary has been a D&D wide rule for years and maybe my memory is poo poo but I'm pretty sure it is extremely not a regular occurrence in here?

It is a rule, you're right. I had it implicitly waived for this thread, which was a subject of run-ins between me and other D&D mods when they would check in with a report and enforce it. If I were to enforce the rule consistently, it would be been a top-3 probation reason filed by me at the lightest, there's been quite a bit of it historically, actually.

Edit: You'd have to click back further, to like last summer/spring. What I'm trying to speak of is that I think I've established some unhelpful top-level expectations/assumptions.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Saladman posted:

There were some new about Hungary voting on Sweden a few days ago. Reuters reported on it yesterday. Officially Orban and his ilk are angry about being called out on their fash-politics by Sweden.

quote:

BUDAPEST, March 29 (Reuters) - Hungary is holding up Sweden's admission to NATO because of grievances over criticism by Stockholm of Prime Minister Viktor Orban's policies, the Hungarian government spokesman said on Wednesday.

Bridging the gap will require effort on both sides, spokesman Zoltan Kovacs said.

[...]

"In the case of Sweden, there is an ample amount of grievances that need to be addressed before the country’s admission is ratified," Kovacs said on his blog.

Swedish representatives "have been repeatedly keen to bash Hungary through diplomatic means, using their political influence to harm Hungarian interests", he said, referring to Swedish criticism over the erosion of rule of law by Orban's government in the past 13 years. Orban denies these allegations.

He said Stockholm had taken a "hostile attitude" to Budapest for years.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/hungary-says-grievances-hold-up-ratification-swedens-nato-accession-2023-03-29/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Nothing particularly new but the Guardian have an article looking at civilians who won't leave the front line.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/30/ukrainian-parents-hiding-their-children-in-basements-in-frontline-cities

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom
I do miss people posting relevant articles and tweets as I personally don't feel inclined to use Twitter on a regular basis, and this thread was great for getting updates and links to articles/interviews that I would otherwise miss out on.

The GBS thread has a lot of white noise and gets easily distracted by low-effort trolls and forums drama which is why I prefer this thread, but lately there haven't been as many links to relevant updates and I think huge update posts are hard to discuss since they're a bit overwhelming.

It's hard for me to be the change I want to see in the world since this thread was my way of getting discussion and updates without the white-noise of GBS and the general terribleness of Twitter, so my relationship to the content has been almost strictly parasitic.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
This is kinda interesting --- an article on translation of Jewish religious texts into Ukrainian (focused on the Haggadah, the Passover text in particular), as one of the many cultural effects of the war.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/the-first-passover-haggadah-in-ukrainian-marks-a-communitys-break-with-russia/

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm one of those people that just scrolls past posts without Twitter embeds because it's just too much to read otherwise. I stopped reading every post and only read the relevant page +/- a few pages if the discussion pertaining to some tweet was interesting enough. I just don't have time to read every post that has a wall of text and the Twitter embeds with the pictures and such help break things up into easy to read chunks for when I'm browsing just to pass a few minutes here and there.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm one of those people that just scrolls past posts without Twitter embeds because it's just too much to read otherwise. I stopped reading every post and only read the relevant page +/- a few pages if the discussion pertaining to some tweet was interesting enough. I just don't have time to read every post that has a wall of text and the Twitter embeds with the pictures and such help break things up into easy to read chunks for when I'm browsing just to pass a few minutes here and there.

That's basically 90% of the people who read this thread, myself included.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
e: never mind

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 30, 2023

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Antigravitas posted:

https://www.derstandard.de/story/2000145047246/selenskyj-rede-fpoe-verlaesst-geschlossen-den-saal-zahlreiche-leere-plaetze

Machine translation proofread by me, as usual.

It's fascinating how bad machine translation is at Austrian German. I had to heavily redact a bunch of sentences, and I doubt I found them all. Worse still, it replaces – with -, which is a crime.
There are some weird constructions in there because it doesn't translate the Konjuntiv I and II into subjunctive clauses while preserving the meaning, and I'm not going to fix all of those.

With that aside, the FPÖ are basically like the German AfD, except they are frequently in government.

Have you tried Deepl to translate some of this stuff? I've found it to be significantly better than any other translator.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

buglord posted:

Fwiw that was a normal feedback post, not sure why you deleted it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Have a long twitter thread on railway bridge repair

https://twitter.com/507stre/status/1641488115683536905

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

buglord posted:

There's srsly nothing to be scared of, worst case you can't post for 6h. You can even continue to read all the posts.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

cinci edit: :nws: loitering munition deployment
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1641474481276301324

I think it was noted by Perun among others that some weapons systems were uniquely quiet amongst the frontline media and the switchblade was one of them so kinda interesting to see them deployed in some fashion. (Could be training, could be psyops, you know the usual disclaimers)

There is a video, as far as I saw it freeze framed before impact, I apologize if that is in error.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 30, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Fwiw that was a normal feedback post, not sure why you deleted it.

I’m a timid poster lol, but also I thought it was redundant. Unrelated, fingers crossed Finland gets in. I hope the door isn’t shut forever for Sweden, though im curious if they are at the same level of danger Finland is is despite not sharing a land border with Russia.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

buglord posted:

I’m a timid poster lol, but also I thought it was redundant. Unrelated, fingers crossed Finland gets in. I hope the door isn’t shut forever for Sweden, though im curious if they are at the same level of danger Finland is is despite not sharing a land border with Russia.

The only real potential target in Sweden is Gotland, which would require a serious naval invasion which would probably be far beyond their current capabilities. The risk/reward isn't really there either, it'd mainly be useful for an invasion of the Baltic states.

There could potentially be cyberattacks, but the ones Russia has been running since the NATO application have been really weak.

poor waif fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

TescoBag posted:

Have you tried Deepl to translate some of this stuff? I've found it to be significantly better than any other translator.

That is deepl. It does okay with German German, but Austrian German plus lots of Konjunktiv produces results that need to be touched up a lot.

Translating this article only needed slight changes:

https://taz.de/Kriegsverbrechen-und-Armenien/!5921600/

quote:

Putin's fear of The Hague

BERLIN taz | Russia's warning to Armenia was clear: against the background of the International Criminal Court's (ICC) "illegal and legally ineffective arrest warrants" against the Russian leadership, Moscow considers Yerevan's plans to officially accede to the Rome Statute of the ICC absolutely unacceptable. If it were to happen, it could have extremely negative consequences, the state news agency RIA quotes a source in the Russian Foreign Ministry as saying.

The background to the threatening gestures, apart from the arrest warrant against Russian President Vladimir Putin for alleged war crimes in Ukraine, is a decision by the Armenian Constitutional Court. Last week, the court declared the Rome Statute to be compatible with Armenia's Basic Law.

Yerevan signed the Statute in 1998 as one of 120 states, but did not ratify it. In 2004, the Constitutional Court ruled on the matter for the first time. It ruled that the treaty violated provisions of the constitution that put national sovereignty above legal matters.

Since then, nothing has happened. Last December, however, the discussions on the ICC picked up speed again. This was triggered by the permanent conflict between Armenia and its neighbour Azerbaijan over the region of Nagorno-Karabakh inhabited by Armenians. In 2020, after a 40-day war, a ceasefire was negotiated there under Moscow's mediation, which so-called Russian peacekeepers are supposed to secure.

But the hostilities continue, escalations occur again and again. Meanwhile, areas in the south of Armenia have also been hit several times by Azerbaijani attacks. The Armenian government of Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan feels abandoned and accuses Russia, which maintains its only military base in the South Caucasus there, of inaction.

The ratification of the Rome Statute would give Yerevan the opportunity to take Azerbaijan to the ICC. However, Armenian authorities would have to arrest Vladimir Putin if he travelled to Armenia. For this reason, Ara Zakarian, an Armenian expert on international law, believes that the ratification process will be halted for the time being. According to Armenian law, the government must refer the issue to parliament within three months.

In contrast, Armenian human rights activist Artur Sakunts considers the ratification of the Rome Statute extremely important. This is the only way Armenia can integrate itself into international legal and institutional structures. This would also allow the leadership to resist the colossal pressure from Russia.

Of the states of the former Soviet Union, Georgia, Moldova and Tajikistan have ratified the Statute in addition to the EU members Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

Armenia's position in this is honestly just tragic. It is nominally on Team Russia, but only because Azerbaijan is on Team Turkey, and its geographic situation is perilous. Armenia is seriously proper hosed with very little room to manoeuvre.