Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
poking in briefly to say: when i get my star back its going to be a loving bloodbath in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Lenin wrote a pretty decent and short biography of both, I'm pretty sure

e: there's quite a lot of these i guess
https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/bio/index.htm

I've only read the lenin ones but they're solid intros

Thanks! I didn't know that Lenin wrote one, or that Marxists.org had all this.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

croup coughfield posted:

poking in briefly to say: when i get my star back its going to be a loving bloodbath in here

wb!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you should be killed for knowing and watching all these youtube personalities

harsh but fair

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

croup coughfield posted:

:hai:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

croup coughfield posted:

Wouldn't have it any other way

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

croup coughfield posted:

high high hopes for a living shooting for the stars when I couldn't make a killing :cheers:

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

croup coughfield posted:

poking in briefly to say: when i get my star back i shall not make excuses for the terror

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

croup coughfield posted:

Have a seat at the table my dude, wb :cheers:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

croup coughfield posted:

good

copy
Jul 26, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

yeah!

copy
Jul 26, 2007

YEAH!

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
Please Coughfield Don't Purge 'Em

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Have a seat at the table my dude, wb :cheers:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

croup coughfield posted:

wb

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

croup coughfield posted:

drat, I didn't know Fredric Jameson aroused such passions

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
let's talk about marx

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Dreylad posted:

let's talk about marx

what's left to say that hasn't already been said, honestly

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
croup ftw
marx ftw
lenin ftw

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
the boys are back in town

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Thanks! I didn't know that Lenin wrote one, or that Marxists.org had all this.

Marxists.org is incredible. You probably won't find really new/copyrighted stuff on there but if you ever find yourself reading something and wondering who all these crusty old farts were and what they wrote, chances are there's at least something on there. They also make some effort to categorise authors' work by topic, so you can look up what so-and-so thought about women, families, etc.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Buck Turgidson posted:

Marxists.org is incredible. You probably won't find really new/copyrighted stuff on there but if you ever find yourself reading something and wondering who all these crusty old farts were and what they wrote, chances are there's at least something on there. They also make some effort to categorise authors' work by topic, so you can look up what so-and-so thought about women, families, etc.

marxists.org ftmfw

navigation can be a bit wonky. I'm pretty sure https://www.marxists.org/subject/index.htm doesn't actually list everything the site archives under a given subject but it's great as a tool for going "hey i want to read about x, marxistly" and then getting a sampling of (mostly) oldies. The "Struggles and Revolutions of Various Nations" subheadings tend to be kinda light but probably have stuff you wouldn't normally stumble into otherwise.

https://www.marxists.org/archive/index.htm is another useful navigation view which I think does actually lead to everything they've archived (nope - it doesn't. pretty sure https://www.marxists.org/admin/sitemap/index.htm does though.

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 02:15 on Mar 30, 2023

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
been reading a lot of mao on marxists.org lately. good site. i keep meaning to make a pdf of the complete little red book and kick it over to them

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

exmarx posted:

the theory of survival of the fittest was partly inspired by malthus

I thought Darwin came up with natural selection and the theory but his explicitly nazi eugenicist nephew came up with survival of the fittest and social Darwinism?

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Speaking of killing, can someone recommend me a good biography of both marx and engels?

I started Love & Capital, very good and novel angle so far

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

croup coughfield posted:

been reading a lot of mao on marxists.org lately. good site. i keep meaning to make a pdf of the complete little red book and kick it over to them

Is it not on foreignlanguages.press?

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Sunny Side Up posted:

Any recommendations for concrete descriptions on how to set up a demcent org? Expanding on eg chapter 4 of Araling Aktibista?

The communist party of the Philippines person I got in touch with actually recommended reading the CPP constitution and I’ll be damned if that wasn’t just the most helpful document regarding initial org and small org structure.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

My book club is doing Washington Bullets next month and much like Prashad’s oration it is like a poetic and brief retelling of Killing Hope + Jakarta Method + Open Veins, etc

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

croup coughfield posted:

the boys are back in town

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sunny Side Up posted:

I thought Darwin came up with natural selection and the theory but his explicitly nazi eugenicist nephew came up with survival of the fittest and social Darwinism?

Herbert Spencer (a social Darwinist) came up with the term "survival of the fittest" after reading The Origin of Species and Darwin liked it because "natural selection" implied nature selecting preferred species, rather than species surviving through adaptation to the environment and dying out if they failed to adapt, but Darwin thought "natural selection" was catchier so stuck with it as the main term.

I suspect you're thinking of Francis Galton, who was a cousin of Darwin's and the guy who invented the term eugenics.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Speaking of killing, can someone recommend me a good biography of both marx and engels?

Jonathan Sperber's biography of Marx is really good.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Herbert Spencer (a social Darwinist) came up with the term "survival of the fittest" after reading The Origin of Species and Darwin liked it because "natural selection" implied nature selecting preferred species, rather than species surviving through adaptation to the environment and dying out if they failed to adapt, but Darwin thought "natural selection" was catchier so stuck with it as the main term.

I suspect you're thinking of Francis Galton, who was a cousin of Darwin's and the guy who invented the term eugenics.

Yes was thinking of Galton. Thanks for the details! In my heart I’m transferring my positive view of Stephen J. Gould onto Darwin and it sounds like that’s no good.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

:wtc:

That's just reheated fascist rhetoric about weak men in good times.

It's the opposite, the fascist "strong men create good times, good times create weak men" etc. rhetoric is recognizing the kernel of truth in history as a cycle but removes the material analysis and attributes the forward movement of that cycle to the existence of "strong" and "weak" men. It's the STRONG MEN that created GOOD TIMES, rather than the material conditions allowing those men to flourish.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

what sort of times produce sissy hypno?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
you're in them

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
base: men
superstructure: times

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/przidnt1/status/1641213130574266368

has a nice ring to it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

base: men
superstructure: times

i'm fiscally strong men, but socially weak times

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dudes cant stop posting twitter links #_#

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sube
Nov 7, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Michael Heinrich's book on Marx (and a bit of Engels) is excellent, covering his social context (a whole chapter is just on history of his home region) very well, but he just covers his early life and more books are forthcoming still. Franz Mehring's biography of Marx is a classic.

sube has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Mar 30, 2023