Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

China has already said that they are in favor of a bancor like system replacing the dollar hegemony. Dedollarization right now wont lead to that immediately, but the aftermath where china is one of the big winners may eventually lead to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/zeke_speek/status/1641267590751481856?t=oL4rHeqgw_tstSx2SaiPjw&s=19

Saudis joining SCO as well

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ardennes posted:

The Ruble was still pegged to the dollar even if it was a closed currency, so you could say it still rested on dollar hegemony to a certain extent. I think the Rupee was generally free floating but the Indian government had tried to tie it to some degree to the Pound.

dollar. Indira Gandhi tied it with the dollar at a fixed exchange rate for a while when the nehruvian industrialization plans created a base of heavy industry and the demand for consumer goods began rising. This was pre the IMF-BCCI wombo combo so states had a lot of breathing room still.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
We just need to go back to food vouchers. Rebrand your government covid app so people can use it to get big jugs of milk from local cvs every month. Stuff a pound of cheese to grade schooler's backpack to save on distribution overhead.

Also each person get 5 yard of fabric from post office to make clothes. Just select your preferred color in the last page of your tax return.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just use gold and oil and iron ore as basis of international trade.

I have listen to a professor who argued if all nations work toward the goal of balanced trade with minimal deficit, it will make for a better world trade system.

we tried that and uh

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

There needs to be an international reserve currency, International businesses won't want to have a bank account in every country they do business in. Nations don't want to take on debt in many denominations just to make use of it. It limits exposure to forex issues. Dollar was stable enough and global enough to work.

If you use gold you will have to do large moves of bullion occasionally and gold is not 100% price-stable either. Or you have all the gold in a vault somewhere and countries just trade claims on it but the vault will be in USA or England anyway, like a hostage.

USA saw that being the issuer of reserve currency means trade deficits don't matter and every nation will need to aquire US debt i.e. rolling loans to USA to support the military superpower that enforces the dollar back on them

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its okay to just say 'drat capitalism is duck taped together there seems to only be a choice between bad outcomes'

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
OH MY GOD THATS BANCOR'S MUSIC

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

god dammit gradenko, i already read too many threads.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
That's why you should work toward direct currency settlement and balanced trade. And only use gold to settle on the small bit of deficit.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Antonymous posted:

There needs to be an international reserve currency, International businesses won't want to have a bank account in every country they do business in. Nations don't want to take on debt in many denominations just to make use of it. It limits exposure to forex issues. Dollar was stable enough and global enough to work.

If you use gold you will have to do large moves of bullion occasionally and gold is not 100% price-stable either. Or you have all the gold in a vault somewhere and countries just trade claims on it but the vault will be in USA or England anyway, like a hostage.

USA saw that being the issuer of reserve currency means trade deficits don't matter and every nation will need to aquire US debt i.e. rolling loans to USA to support the military superpower that enforces the dollar back on them

ever heard of bancor

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zodium posted:

god dammit gradenko, i already read too many threads.

I got my arm in a sling for a month so I'm deciding to make it everybody's problem by reading even more than I already did

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

lol at every liberal on Reddit saying “China is a currency manipulator. This is a BAD idea.” over and over in lockstep

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

fart simpson posted:

ever heard of bancor

i like the first draft where keynes doesn't even try and just calls it "bank money"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

ever heard of bancor

quote:

Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the former managing director of the IMF, was asked by a BBC journalist about his thoughts on how the global economy ought to be reconfigured in the aftermath of the 2008 events. His astonishing answer was:

Never in the past has an institution like the IMF been as necessary as it has been today… Keynes, sixty years ago, already foresaw what was needed; but it was too early. Now is the time to do it. And I think we are ready to do it!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

When china said it was a good idea to bring in the bancor there was a US dude that said "sure about as good as a time to do it" and the dollar lost a few penies against the euro so obama called him to retract his statement

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

fart simpson posted:

ever heard of bancor

lovely creature design imo, also effects limitations made it look like Luke was just fighting a puppet between the stop-motion shots

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

looking forward to US academia and political think tanks all suddenly deciding that Saudi Arabia is the bad kind of totalitarian instead of the good kind of authoritarian in a couple years

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lol keynes' clearing union was very different from the IMF we ended up with

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

That's why you should work toward direct currency settlement and balanced trade. And only use gold to settle on the small bit of deficit.

balanced trade would have locked China, Taiwan, SK, Japan, maybe Germany etc into a slower development route.

idk that much about what keynes proposed. But balanced trade with bullion movements to settle accounts was the norm only 100 years ago and you can read about if it worked well

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

looking forward to US academia and political think tanks all suddenly deciding that Saudi Arabia is the bad kind of totalitarian instead of the good kind of authoritarian in a couple years

I can't believe the people who did 9/11 would do us like that

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

it will be interesting if you suddenly see the lawsuits against Saudi Arabia for 9/11 start back up in US courts

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLYpWTilvHg

this guy slaps

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just use gold and oil and iron ore as basis of international trade.

I have listen to a professor who argued if all nations work toward the goal of balanced trade with minimal deficit, it will make for a better world trade system.

In a universe where seizing actual, physical assets that exists in the real world, to satisfy debts denominated in poo poo that hardly exists at all, is something other than the explicit purpose of lending money since 5000 BC.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

eSports Chaebol posted:

it's really simple and there's one objective ranking:

#1: lincoln (flawed but decent)
#2: (44-way tie): all the rest (pure evil, "redeeming" qualities irrelevant)

incorrect

william henry harrison was the best us president by a huge margin let alone anything even close

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

The true story of Jurassic Park American Imperialists don't want you to see!!!

https://twitter.com/ruima/status/1641493473793835008?t=EoSQbKuNZzfIPNC8eCm2cQ&s=19

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

not likely - guess who funds those think tanks

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Best Friends posted:

not likely - guess who funds those think tanks

the saudi ruling class is smarter than the american one

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

DiscountDildos posted:

The true story of Jurassic Park American Imperialists don't want you to see!!!

https://twitter.com/ruima/status/1641493473793835008?t=EoSQbKuNZzfIPNC8eCm2cQ&s=19

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

interesteing

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

tristeham posted:

the saudi ruling class is smarter than the american one

the virgin British royal family and Camelot enjoyer versus the chad Saudi royal family be-er

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Antonymous posted:

balanced trade would have locked China, Taiwan, SK, Japan, maybe Germany etc into a slower development route.

idk that much about what keynes proposed. But balanced trade with bullion movements to settle accounts was the norm only 100 years ago and you can read about if it worked well

yeah but what if it was on the blockchain

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1641481190518472709

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
i am genuinely amazed how little control america actually has over the saudis i was certain they wouldve had that entire family on lockdown its crazy

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

why do you post every single tweet kenneth roth makes?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

why do you post every single tweet kenneth roth makes?

ok fine lets try something from someone more respectable

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1641526709374558215

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

ok fine lets try something from someone more respectable

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1641526709374558215

when I occasionally try to listen to ted cruz I usually make it 5 to 10 seconds before I have to turn it off lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

1000 year war? How about we just hang loose for the next 999 years and only worry about it the night before.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1000 year war makes perfect sense when facing the 1000 year reich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1641261748962447361

i too agree that these are equally bad ideas