Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

*cuts down tree to install algae pondscum landmark*
SAVING THE PLANET!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm really struggling to understand why algae tanks are a replacement for trees.

Surely if you want to put algae anywhere you would put it on roofs, or perhaps there is some other kind of plant that doesn't need to be kept in water, grows everywhere, and has historically been used for roofing.

No, manky fishtank it is.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Reject Modernity, Retvrn to Hobbiton

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I'm really struggling to understand why algae tanks are a replacement for trees.

People get to be middlemen selling and maintaining the algae tanks. The only thing stopping us from dumping sulfur and calcium aerosols into the atmosphere to cool it down and perhaps destroy all life on the planet by accident, is that there's noone to send the bill to.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 30, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
But you can also have jobs selling and maintaining trees...

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

But you can also have jobs selling and maintaining trees...

You can't copyright a tree. Actually you probably can. I'm not a lawyer.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah I'm not up to date on IP law as it applies to genomes but... probably?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I think the idea is that algae can thrive in places that are too toxic for trees and grass.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

You can't copyright a tree. Actually you probably can. I'm not a lawyer.
Tree Law is so much more powerful and profitable than copyright law.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Like I got nothing against the person with a harness and chainsaw, or the person with an algae maintenence kit, or whatever goes on there.

But by middlemen I mean all that rent seeking that all the green products will have, as capital pivots to selling us "solutions" to climate change.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I think the idea is that algae can thrive in places that are too toxic for trees and grass.

Tree Law is so much more powerful and profitable than copyright law.

Engineer the tree's genes. Combine it with a gene from a snail that lives in toxic volcanic vents or something. We have the technology. Trees can reproduce themselves and won't give us an ever expanding house of cards that needs to be maintained to stop The Event from Mitchell and Webb happening.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Nargund more like nah guv.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Engineer the tree's genes. Combine it with a gene from a snail that lives in toxic volcanic vents or something. We have the technology. Trees can reproduce themselves and won't give us an ever expanding house of cards that needs to be maintained to stop The Event from Mitchell and Webb happening.

Algae can also reproduce itself tho? Also it's way better at actually sequestering carbon than trees and works 24/7/365. Even if we had the technology I don't see how turning it into a mega-science project to build a Bio-Metal Gear ends up with FEWER middle men getting involved. Trees are still cool and good but if the situation you're in demands big time filtering such that it just kills trees outright, you've gotta look elsewhere.

Algae does a lot of good work for this planet and it's high time it got the credit it deserves!!!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah Algae can reproduce but I hope these glass tanks can't or we've got bigger problems, I was talking about these from the last page:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I think the algae thing looks quite cool from a purely ‘thing’ perspective. The infrastructure behind it I have no idea about, however.

Also trees can reproduce. But you really don’t want them doing that willy-nilly in a built-up area

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah Algae can reproduce but I hope these glass tanks can't or we've got bigger problems:

Well trees in cities also aren't reproducing on their own, which isn't to say they don't try. Algae doesn't fill the air with a soup of pollen twice a year either!

I think trees will still default to where they can live. I don't think this is really a green technology, they're going to require some amount of power to function and probably a lot over winter so it depends on where that power is coming from.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

Also trees can reproduce. But you really don’t want them doing that willy-nilly in a built-up area

Yes I do

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

There are multiple invasive plants that can grow through concrete. :science:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Yeah, and for places that are literally too densely packed and therefore the air quality is poor. They're not designed to replace trees, they're designed to give people who live in dense urban environments the chance to not get lung cancer. making GBS threads on them because they aren't trees is, ironically, missing the forest for the trees.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, and for places that are literally too densely packed and therefore the air quality is poor. They're not designed to replace trees, they're designed to give people who live in dense urban environments the chance to not get lung cancer. making GBS threads on them because they aren't trees is, ironically, missing the forest for the trees.

I see. My bad.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Why not both

Real answer, you have algae for urban areas with trees being in woods.

Algae is a lot more efficient than trees.

And as others have said RENT!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I do kinda envision a future where a mother is telling her young kids that trees were different in the old days, and weren't made of glass tanks full of algae. But that's probably just me being cynical.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Okay so here's how we solve climate change: we develop a form of this algae that can handle seawater and we turn the ocean green.

*hand to ear*

Oh sorry just heard that would ruin the super-rich's beach vacation view, never mind we all get to die.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
there's varieties of tree known for hardiness to pollution, and ongoing efforts to increase that more than the last few hundred years of evolution during the industrial revolution did

that algae box is the kind of hopeful sounding bullshit trading on false solutions that venture capitalist scum have put out in response to climate change for decades

no need to solve climate change when the solutions are well known and [redacted]

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The algae tanks were made for places where the polution is so bad that single trees don't do poo poo because they get covered in toxic dust.

https://balkangreenenergynews.com/liquid-tree-to-combat-air-pollution-in-belgrade/

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

there's varieties of tree known for hardiness to pollution, and ongoing efforts to increase that more than the last few hundred years of evolution during the industrial revolution did

that algae box is the kind of hopeful sounding bullshit trading on false solutions that venture capitalist scum have put out in response to climate change for decades

no need to solve climate change when the solutions are well known and [redacted]

The better cynical take on this is that it's just a way to avoid having a discussion about removing cars. Trees would be put in these places if they were up to the task, urban planners are aware that there are some trees hardier than others, but that doesn't mean any are as hardy or efficient as a tank of algae.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

my mrs norman hindbrain sees that and very much wants to take a flymo to it

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Beyond parody. How is it possible to be this poo poo?

https://twitter.com/leftnotlabour/status/1641484619420774413?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hahaha... I came running to the thread to post exactly the same. It's loving incredible :allears:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I was hanging around Swindon station for quite a long time yesterday thank goodness I didn't see those two.
That logo is so.... Tory.

For those who don't wish to pollute their browser caches:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The logo actually looks like it's been shattered into bits which is more appropriate.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lmao just....lmao

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

The logo actually looks like it's been shattered into bits which is more appropriate.

Almost like this one!

Broken Britain.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

They can do it by your dwelling then, I’d rather mine stayed standing

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Maybe Labour is using the same AI for their shitposts as I do for mine?

:nws:Do not look at this one:nws:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

Maybe Labour is using the same AI for their shitposts as I do for mine?

:nws:Do not look at this one:nws:

Oh that's horrible. Wish I'd taken notice of your warning now. I feel sick :barf:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

I should have listened :gonk:

Butlerian jihad starts now

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I laughed, which may indicate I have a diseased mind. Thank God.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you think about it, Odo was also a cop.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Looking forward to algae tree boxes needing electricity for adverts on the side and being placed to block as much pavement as possible.

https://theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/09/electronic-advertising-boards-manchester-energy-use-consumption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Burst out laughing at the Keith flag penis. The AI has done something incredible with that thing, I couldn't stop staring