Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hooplah posted:

i know it sucks that most learning of modded minecraft mechanics comes in the form of videos, but have you been watching threefold's playthrough of GTNH? he's doing a really, really high quality series right now, probably the best produced modpack playthrough i've ever seen, and he goes over in detail these sorts of designs all over the pack. highly recommended for all gtnh brainworms sufferers

also i started watching this and it's good so far. pitched at just the right level to be interesting while skipping or neutron-star-condensing most of the dullness

have not previously encountered an enjoyable minecraft LP so that's probably a good sign. he does laugh like a serial killer quite frequently though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

samcarsten posted:

so that worked, but I need to build one that turns off my fluid nuke if the temp gets too high. Is there a monitor for that?

In the NuclearControl mod, there's a heat monitor block. It outputs a redstone signal all around it if the reactor gets to the configured heat level or greater. Needs to be as close to the reactor as possible, usually center on one face works well. I forget the name of it though and I'm too not at a regular computer to boot up the pack and check. Sorry.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

In the NuclearControl mod, there's a heat monitor block. It outputs a redstone signal all around it if the reactor gets to the configured heat level or greater. Needs to be as close to the reactor as possible, usually center on one face works well. I forget the name of it though and I'm too not at a regular computer to boot up the pack and check. Sorry.

Thermal Monitor. Now I need to figure out how to get it to turn the thing off.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

samcarsten posted:

Thermal Monitor. Now I need to figure out how to get it to turn the thing off.

the fluid nuke is only on if the redstone control block is receiving redstone, so you basically just need to invert the redstone signal from the monitor and wire it against the redstone control block

bonus points if you add an AND gate between the monitor and nuke and wire that to a lever. then you can switch the lever off to turn the nuke off regardless of heat level.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

he does laugh like a serial killer quite frequently though

been noticing this. he does it absentmindedly when he's streaming even so i don't think it's fake. i guess that's just how he talks.

regardless i wish him the best, his channel has really blown up the last six months and he's absolutely earned it. i can't imagine the amount of work he's putting in to edit all that footage

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Alright so I'm back to LV in GTNH now after my restart and this is about where I fell off last time because things started getting a bit complicated. My goal is to progress further so it's time for me to understand electricity. I've been reading the gtnh wiki page for it but I just want to ask some questions about how it works to help me understand it all better.

Let's say I have two turbines, steam for this example because that's all I have right now. Each outputs 1A, so I'll need 2x cables for it, correct? I know that EU loss exists the longer the cables are so I'm trying to move machines that have high EU requirements for common operations (Bending Machine, Lathe, Alloy Smelter, etc) closer to the turbine. Now, the game and wiki both say that most machines can accept more than 1A of power. In my actual setup I'm using just one steam turbine so I have 1A going through some 1x tin cable. Does upgrading to two turbines and 2x cables help me mitigate the EU losses that occur when I run too many machines at once? Like, if the bending machine and lathe are running at the same time, one of them will inevitably not get enough consistent power to finish its operation and I'm wondering if running 2A through the cables will help them be able to run simultaneously so I have fewer insufficient power problems and can run more things at one time.

Also I just managed to craft my first LV battery buffers last night and if I'm reading them correctly, these will make it so that even if the power coming into them is lower than 32 EU due to cable loss, they will output 32 EU again, kind of like how a redstone repeater puts a redstone signal back to full strength? And also that the batteries inside them will act as temporary power sources of their own if you had a loss of EU generation from your turbine for whatever reason.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

FPzero posted:

Alright so I'm back to LV in GTNH now after my restart and this is about where I fell off last time because things started getting a bit complicated. My goal is to progress further so it's time for me to understand electricity. I've been reading the gtnh wiki page for it but I just want to ask some questions about how it works to help me understand it all better.

Let's say I have two turbines, steam for this example because that's all I have right now. Each outputs 1A, so I'll need 2x cables for it, correct? I know that EU loss exists the longer the cables are so I'm trying to move machines that have high EU requirements for common operations (Bending Machine, Lathe, Alloy Smelter, etc) closer to the turbine. Now, the game and wiki both say that most machines can accept more than 1A of power. In my actual setup I'm using just one steam turbine so I have 1A going through some 1x tin cable. Does upgrading to two turbines and 2x cables help me mitigate the EU losses that occur when I run too many machines at once? Like, if the bending machine and lathe are running at the same time, one of them will inevitably not get enough consistent power to finish its operation and I'm wondering if running 2A through the cables will help them be able to run simultaneously so I have fewer insufficient power problems and can run more things at one time.

Also I just managed to craft my first LV battery buffers last night and if I'm reading them correctly, these will make it so that even if the power coming into them is lower than 32 EU due to cable loss, they will output 32 EU again, kind of like how a redstone repeater puts a redstone signal back to full strength? And also that the batteries inside them will act as temporary power sources of their own if you had a loss of EU generation from your turbine for whatever reason.

basically eu is packet-based, with the voltage determining the size of the packet and amperage determining the number of simultaneous packets on a line. packets are requested by things that need power, not sent. that's really important because it means it doesn't matter how many power sources you have hooked up to a line if you only ever have one thing that needs less than a full packet per tick. also, machines all have internal power buffers, and they only request a packet when the buffer is missing a whole packet's worth or more.

cable loss complicates this. the machine will always request a full packet, but cable loss will reduce the size of it, resulting in the machine receiving less power on that tick than it expects. so it won't fill the buffer all the way, and it will request a second packet a tick later. if you have more than one amp available, that single machine that normally uses only a full single amp will occasionally pull that second amp. if your cable can't handle both amps, it burns. this is seen most often when you first pop a brand new machine down on your shiny new 1x tin cable with a battery buffer containing a couple batteries a few blocks of wire away. poof, cable goes up in flames. your machine tried to fill its buffer with a full amp every tick, but those amp-sized packets were now a few eu short due to lossy cables, so it requested that second amp available on the battery. best practice is to just always use cable that can handle the full amperage your distribution can put out. if you want to be clever and frugal, at the bare minimum always attach your machines to at least 2x cable unless you can guarantee your power source only ever puts out a single amp (diodes, turbines). that should get you 90% of the way to not wasting your cables in fires. to be fair literally this morning i made that exact mistake in IV so... yeah, you may never be perfect

also, to answer your specific question, yes having a second power source will mostly ameliorate those woes, as will a battery buffer, but doing a bit of math- bending machine and lathe both generally use 30eu/t. without losses, two turbines will always be able to power those two machines indefinitely at 32eu/t. however, if you're using more than 2 blocks of tin wire that drops below 30eu/t to the machines. your machines will at some point both request a second packet on the same tick and one of them will choke. the more loss you have the worse the choking. adding a 3rd battery and using 4x wire would get you 99% of the way to indefinite uptime on both in that case, but that 3rd battery will slowly drain proportional to the amount of cable loss.

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 30, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

Let's say I have two turbines, steam for this example because that's all I have right now. Each outputs 1A, so I'll need 2x cables for it, correct?

Correct.

FPzero posted:

I know that EU loss exists the longer the cables are so I'm trying to move machines that have high EU requirements for common operations (Bending Machine, Lathe, Alloy Smelter, etc) closer to the turbine.

This is the best way to manage line loss. Conversely, machines like macerators that use 2 EU/t for most recipes can be further along the cable with little problem.

FPzero posted:

Now, the game and wiki both say that most machines can accept more than 1A of power.

This is correct. However, this only really comes into play when the machine's internal buffer is low or empty (as is the case when you first place a machine.) Single block machines that use 1A of power during operation can actually accept 2A of power, and will gladly do so to fill their initial buffer. However, during typical usage with steady power availability, the following scenario will play out.

* The machine in question has an internal power buffer of 100 EU. To start, it's full.
* The machine starts crafting a recipe that requires 8 EU per tick.
* 4 ticks later, the buffer is down to 68.
* The machine asks for some generator it's connected to via cable to send some power.
* The generator sends a 32 EU power packet, and a 31 EU packet arrives (1 EU was lost from line loss.)
* The buffer goes up to 99 EU.
* Repeat until the recipe finishes.

Since the power buffer never drops below the 2A threshold, the machine's activity will only ever cause a single amp of power to transit the cabling at one time. However, if the buffer is empty, it'll gladly accept all the power it can, which is 2A. This is why you don't connect a 1x tin cable to more than 1A of generation -- even a single machine can overwhelm it in the right circumstances (new machine, brownout due to engineering misadventure, etc.)

The golden rule of wiring in this pack is never use a cable rated for fewer amps than the total generators on the line, regardless of how many machines are actually attached. If you catch yourself trying to do math to skimp on cable costs, reconsider your plan. Cables are cheap, and the golden rule is the simplest way to wire stuff.

FPzero posted:

In my actual setup I'm using just one steam turbine so I have 1A going through some 1x tin cable. Does upgrading to two turbines and 2x cables help me mitigate the EU losses that occur when I run too many machines at once? Like, if the bending machine and lathe are running at the same time, one of them will inevitably not get enough consistent power to finish its operation and I'm wondering if running 2A through the cables will help them be able to run simultaneously so I have fewer insufficient power problems and can run more things at one time.

This is correct. Generally, the best way to run multiple machines in parallel is to give each machine 1A of dedicated power. However, this is a simplification.

------- UNNECESSARY DETAIL FOLLOWS -------

You could, for instance, run the following things all clustered around a single 1x tin cable fed by one turbine:

* A macerator processing redstone ore (2 EU/t)
* A centrifuge processing impure redstone dust (7 EU/t)
* An alloy smelter making red alloy (16 EU/t)

If you tally up that total EU/t usage, it's 25 EU/t. Because these recipes don't require a full 32 EU packet every tick, the turbine can stagger its emissions and keep everything topped off nicely. However, you couldn't do this:

* An assembler making a cupronickel coil (30 EU/t)
* An electrolyzer processing water for hydrogen and oxygen (30 EU/t)

A single turbine would fall behind in this case, and one machine would likely stall out. Maybe both; it depends on how the exact implementation goes, and I don't know that very well. You can resolve this by taking a soft mallet to one machine, or even physically disconnecting it from the line, then allow the other machine to finish. Then, re-enable/reconnect the first.

------- UNNECESSARY DETAIL ENDS -------

FPzero posted:

This is also correct. Charging a battery with low amounts of power over time and discharging it in bursts is an extremely common power strategy at all levels of play. You can even do this in Steam Age by banking steam in a large tank. However, one detail -- the battery buffer taxes power that comes in. The formula is 2 ^ tier EU, with LV's tier being 1. What this means is that if you hook up a battery buffer with 4 batteries inside, charge it with only 4 turbines, and run four machines each consuming 30 EU/t, the batteries will slowly lose charge over time due to the tax and subsequent line loss. Transformers and diodes (a block that restricts the total amperage that can flow through it) also have this tax.

You can mitigate this by giving the battery buffer more amps -- a battery buffer can take in twice the amount of amps it emits, and it emits 1A per battery inside (and thus can accept 2A per battery.) Underfeeding a battery buffer is a common mistake when attempting to power your first blast furnace, if you insist on sticking with steam + batbuffers instead of migrating to the far superior light fuel option in late LV.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 30, 2023

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thanks, both of these posts are super helpful.

I've been considering my options for better power sources but I keep coming back to how to mitigate pollution at this early stage. For now the quest book seems to be suggesting to just perform these polluting activities farther away from my base, which is how I'm currently handling my bricked blast furnace and charcoal pile igniter setups in the nether. I guess I could keep my steam turbine setup for my machines cluster and create an outpost for my future EBF away from the base using light fuels? I remember when I played last there were people in this thread who just suggested disabling pollution in the configs because it didn't add much to the game overall other than annoyance, but I don't know if that's still recommended or where to find those config settings.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
I was told by the thread to just turn pollution off.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

go to \.minecraft\config\GregTech\GregTech.txt

ctrl+f for pollution and change
B:EnablePollution=true
to
B:EnablePollution=false

i do it, others itt do it, threefold is in his latest playthrough... it's just not fun and doesn't add any interesting challenge.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thanks, I'm going to turn it off now. I already removed hardcore darkness and infernal mobs for not really adding anything fun to the game, I have no problems removing this as well.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

I've been considering my options for better power sources

Oil is super strong until IV. You unlock multiblock pumps in MV, and if you're patient enough with the seismic prospector and properly throttle the pump so it doesn't void the reservoirs, you can go literal weeks before you have to move the pump. Sadly, oil's fourth form (High Octane Gasoline) is mediocre and the IV generator for it is hobbled by a vicious liquid oxygen requirement, so it fades out at that time.

Others like benzene, but IMO it doesn't hit its stride until you get the tools in EV/IV (industrial coke oven, tree growth simulator, XL gas turbine, processing array for fluid extracting charcoal) to abuse its excellent horizontal scaling. It is technically fully renewable, and I think that's why most people are so attracted to it despite its relatively mediocre return before multiblock gas turbines.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oil is super strong until IV. You unlock multiblock pumps in MV, and if you're patient enough with the seismic prospector and properly throttle the pump so it doesn't void the reservoirs, you can go literal weeks before you have to move the pump. Sadly, oil's fourth form (High Octane Gasoline) is mediocre and the IV generator for it is hobbled by a vicious liquid oxygen requirement, so it fades out at that time.

Others like benzene, but IMO it doesn't hit its stride until you get the tools in EV/IV (industrial coke oven, tree growth simulator, XL gas turbine, processing array for fluid extracting charcoal) to abuse its excellent horizontal scaling. It is technically fully renewable, and I think that's why most people are so attracted to it despite its relatively mediocre return before multiblock gas turbines.

With pollution off now, I think I'll definitely try out oil to start and consider renewables for extra help later. I did get a free 64 oil cells out of loot bags, so I might as well put them to use somehow. Thanks for all the help today!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
A 64x coke processing array for charcoal & creosote is useful for much of the pack so I had a HP creosote burning boiler working alongside the oil to run different machine arrays early on until the creosote itself became useful.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

With pollution off now, I think I'll definitely try out oil to start and consider renewables for extra help later. I did get a free 64 oil cells out of loot bags, so I might as well put them to use somehow. Thanks for all the help today!

Ironically, oil is the less polluting option of the two. :haw:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well I just solved all four levels of a loot games minesweeper and got a bunch of HV components as well as some additional Iron Tank wall to make my steam tank buffer even larger, AND 8 heatproof machine casings for the EBF I haven't begun building! That's a lot less invar I need to craft for the casings. While the casing looks like one of the easier pieces of the EBF to make, every free bit counts. I also got some engraved crystal chips, which appear to be for a circuit many tiers ahead, and an OD Scanner (no idea what this does offhand). The minesweeper game is a lot more fun than the Simon Says game even if it takes longer to play.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Second time in a row I've upgraded LV machines to MV and changed the energy converter before I changed the machines. First time wasn't a big loss, I wasn't going to do anything with the old ones. Second time I was upgrading my EBF to MV input to make stainless steel.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

Second time in a row I've upgraded LV machines to MV and changed the energy converter before I changed the machines. First time wasn't a big loss, I wasn't going to do anything with the old ones. Second time I was upgrading my EBF to MV input to make stainless steel.

Here's some advice. Have separate areas for each voltage tier. Never upgrade machines in place!

Yes this means you have to move the EBF every time you increase its voltage.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Got back into modded Minecraft after dipping from it back in 2014 and oh boy how things have changed. So much cool poo poo. Been playing with "all the mods 8" with the Gf.

Refined storage is super nice and a lot easier to get into than what applied energetics turned into. And the exchanger tool from direwolf20s mod is amazing. Here's a video of me using it.

https://youtu.be/XzCNqrS0pH8

(I'm also aware I could have replaced more at once but didn't know the key combo at the time.to bring up the adjuster for that )

I just got my gold jetpack from iron jetpacks and setup a powah player charger and it feels a bit OP to be able to charge from anywhere in the world and move so fast. Also the apotheosis gear can make you run so fast. Oh well time to make a quarry in the mining world and get my billions of cobble.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I completed AllInOne Skyblock, burned out entirely on Modern Skyblock 3, got bored of ATM7, and now "completed" ChromaSky 2 (i will sooner eat glass than spend weeks grinding out Singularities for their own sake :argh:)

I started GTNH, since I feel comfortable enough with modded Minecraft at this point to try a completely different flavor of modded Minecraft. I'm still very early on, in Stone Age, but I don't play a lot of non-skyblock modpacks so it's been nice to just wander around a bit. Happened to find myself a brick house sitting out in the countryside, decided to go explore a bit. There was a basement staircase, so I decided to see how deep it goes.

:stonk:

I never thought Minecraft Dungeon-diving would be engaging, but I just wasted an hour clearing out the first few layers of the place. If I go down the next flight of stairs, I enter into an area with mossy stone bricks/cobblestone and some vegetation filling the area out, and just off the side of that is a staircase going deeper surrounded by netherbrick and netherrack. The only reason I'm choosing to stop is because I've finally run out of torches. GTNH is very stingy with torches so far, and I just kept opening up a chest to find 3 or 4 more waiting for me. Time to figure out how to make more so I can see how deep it goes :shepface:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Good news! It should only take an hour or two to have charcoal production up and running for those torches!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Those houses and dungeons are from Roguelike Dungeons! Starting in that brick house will be a great boon to you, especially because an early quest not only requires bricks but specifically says you may wish to find one of these exact houses to scavenge the bricks from. Plus, it's a pretty handy starting base given that it has a door, crafting table, furnace and bed in it to begin with. Just block up the basement steps when you don't feel like having anything walk up them and say hello.

edit: Oh also, those dungeons are supposed to have secret rooms hidden in them behind walls, but it's like one secret room per dungeon and can be on any floor? I'm trying to find one because the guide suggests them as a possible source of brewing stands early on.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Roguelike dungeon brick houses are good temporarily, but don't plan to build your base there. Spawners are very laggy and there are tons of them.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
GTNH starting positions should really be about making sure you're in a flat biome with at least 60% humidity and close to the water for boats. Secondary would be nearish a village (to steal things from) and oil spout. The brick houses are best just for dismantling to save a tremendous amount of early game cost.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Rynoto posted:

GTNH starting positions should really be about making sure you're in a flat biome with at least 60% humidity and close to the water for boats. Secondary would be nearish a village (to steal things from) and oil spout. The brick houses are best just for dismantling to save a tremendous amount of early game cost.

I'm actually really happy with my starting place because that brick house is less than 200 blocks away from a walled-in village, and it's at a point where a few biomes mix together, so I've got regular/red sand and lots of cactus from a Hot Desert, a river that goes on for ages then empties into a lak, a mountain, a couple of oil spouts, a brick building to operate out of for a bit, the only thing it's missing is being mostly flat. I think I sorta cheated because I used the seed "GTNH" when making the world, so it seems fitting that it feels like a good seed to start with so far :haw:

I keep having to cross my eyes when playing due to the recipe changes, though. The simplest stuff is so much more complicated now, although I'm still having fun with it.

e: as I hit post on this I realized that I was staring at what looked like a funny cloud from a distance, and it is in fact a slime sky island.

Good seed!

bawk fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 2, 2023

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

What's your biome Humidity level? You'll be able to tell from the info in the upper left corner. Like others have said, if you aren't in a biome with at least 60% humidity consider moving your main base of operations to somewhere that does have it. You'll need a humid biome early on because Railcraft water tanks gather water based on that humidity %, and the better humidity the faster the tanks will fill and stay topped off. I had to do this early on in my first attempt at GTNH because I settled in a flat biome...that had 20% humidity and I didn't realize how important it was so quickly.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FPzero posted:

What's your biome Humidity level? You'll be able to tell from the info in the upper left corner. Like others have said, if you aren't in a biome with at least 60% humidity consider moving your main base of operations to somewhere that does have it. You'll need a humid biome early on because Railcraft water tanks gather water based on that humidity %, and the better humidity the faster the tanks will fill and stay topped off. I had to do this early on in my first attempt at GTNH because I settled in a flat biome...that had 20% humidity and I didn't realize how important it was so quickly.

The Tundra area to the right side of the map is 50% humidity, so I'm not quite at 60% abut close! Is that close enough to get by, or is that a non-starter for those water tanks?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's not great to start, but I suppose you could get by for a while on it, but you'll probably want to scale up to a second one as soon as possible to double your water accumulation. It's not very fun to make early on but if you're set on living where you're at right now, you may have to make sacrifices like this. If you make two, just build them next to one another and attach them both to the same water pipe.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That sounds reasonable to me, I'm still in the stone age so if I have to pack up a few inventories worth of items and haul rear end over to where it says 60% I can. There's a pretty good variety of biomes surrounding the area, so I'm bound to run into 60% or better humidity at some point.

I think I've also finally figured out how to properly load up shaders, I'm hoping to give GTNH a completely different feel than previous modpacks so it has a chance to stick better.

e: shaders work! mostly.

behold the holy crafting station! :haw:

bawk fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 2, 2023

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Has anyone else had any bee/forestry related issues in GTNH 2.3.0?
I've had a bee house going for a long time (several stacks of combs produced), and while there's a ton of flower spread my spectacles aren't showing anything on the leaves of my vanilla trees.
They're forest bees so pollination is 'slower', but I'd think with the amount of flowers they've made there should be something.
Also my grafters aren't losing durability when they break leaves so I'm wondering if there's a config that I need to enable.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

American Dad posted:

Has anyone else had any bee/forestry related issues in GTNH 2.3.0?
I've had a bee house going for a long time (several stacks of combs produced), and while there's a ton of flower spread my spectacles aren't showing anything on the leaves of my vanilla trees.
They're forest bees so pollination is 'slower', but I'd think with the amount of flowers they've made there should be something.
Also my grafters aren't losing durability when they break leaves so I'm wondering if there's a config that I need to enable.

Vanilla trees don't pollenate. You have to have forestry versions of those trees, attainable by using... uh, a treealyzer or magnifying glass or anything else that reveals sapling stats.

I'm not sure if butterflies are disabled or not. If they're not, you should probably put your forestry trees indoors so you don't spawn butterflies forever and eventually flood the mob list. Or maybe that's been patched out anyway?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 3, 2023

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004

McFrugal posted:

Vanilla trees don't pollenate. You have to have forestry versions of those trees, attainable by using... uh, a treealyzer or magnifying glass or anything else that reveals sapling stats.

I'm not sure if butterflies are disabled or not. If they're not, you should probably put your forestry trees indoors so you don't spawn butterflies forever and eventually flood the mob list. Or maybe that's been patched out anyway?
I did wonder about that, but the quest book seems to say otherwise.
In the forestry chapter, quest 'Speak for the trees' it explains that you need the treealyser to convert them to forestry, then it says

quote:

Alternatively, you can just grow a bunch of vanilla trees and surround them by good pollination bees in bee housing.
<snip>
Completing the quests will require scanned trees, but you can progress on breeding while waiting for your GT scanner or Treealyser to be made.

Thanks for the clarification though!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

American Dad posted:

I did wonder about that, but the quest book seems to say otherwise.
In the forestry chapter, quest 'Speak for the trees' it explains that you need the treealyser to convert them to forestry, then it says

Thanks for the clarification though!

Hmm, odd that the questbook says that. I'm pretty sure that I'm right.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So I set up a modded server for me and a few friend groups, and had some really cool plans - I want to use Immersive Portals to put the overworld right over the Nether, and I've got nether portals disabled so we can't just use the Nether as a fast-travel network - kinda want the experience of digging out a subway system to link our distant builds.

I did a dumb thing though, and forgot to actually gen a world using the stacking. This is fixable, there's a command to enable it, but... now my world has a bunch of bedrock at the bottom of the world, where it should be obsidian that you can dig through to get to the Nether.

What's the most effective way to mass-replace all the bedrock in the world with obsidian, without having to go manually do it? I see WorldEdit has a replace command, but I've never used it - I also assume that trying to select every unit of bedrock in every chunk will end up kind of iffy. Is there a desktop tool that will do this? An iffy hack of the region files that make up the world?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That threefold's playthrough of GTNH is entertaining and also watching the literal days spent of mining cured me of ever wanting to play GTNH.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Bhodi posted:

That threefold's playthrough of GTNH is entertaining and also watching the literal days spent of mining cured me of ever wanting to play GTNH.

Omnifactory/Nomifactory alleviates a lot of the grinding for resources and just makes it about building supply chains and big machines and poo poo.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bhodi posted:

The mining has actually got me hooked, because of the way ore generates. I just walk out a ways until it says there's an ore chunk, dig far enough down to find a non-small ore, and dig up the first one I find. If you turn on GT ore chunks on the map, it will automatically mark that chunk with the ores found, which you can look up in NEI to see what elements are found inside. If it's not the right one, you can keep on going to the next chunk (three chunks over), and if it is the right ore, you can walk away with stacks upon stacks of ores to process. I found my first copper vein and walked away with like a stack of copper and two stacks of iron in a little under half an hour. I've found iron, gold, copper, apatite, and lapis so far

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

RandomBlue posted:

Omnifactory/Nomifactory alleviates a lot of the grinding for resources and just makes it about building supply chains and big machines and poo poo.
Yep! Unfortunately,

bawk posted:

The mining has actually got me hooked, because of the way ore generates. I just walk out a ways until it says there's an ore chunk, dig far enough down to find a non-small ore, and dig up the first one I find. If you turn on GT ore chunks on the map, it will automatically mark that chunk with the ores found, which you can look up in NEI to see what elements are found inside. If it's not the right one, you can keep on going to the next chunk (three chunks over), and if it is the right ore, you can walk away with stacks upon stacks of ores to process. I found my first copper vein and walked away with like a stack of copper and two stacks of iron in a little under half an hour. I've found iron, gold, copper, apatite, and lapis so far
I'm glad you're having a blast! But it's not the finding that's the issue, it's the fact you need dozens of stacks of ores and a "professional" streamer has put in literal days of playtime gathering materials for progression and isn't even at HV yet. While the pack looks cool, that isn't the kind of pace I'm looking for.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

Yep! Unfortunately,

I'm glad you're having a blast! But it's not the finding that's the issue, it's the fact you need dozens of stacks of ores and a "professional" streamer has put in literal days of playtime gathering materials for progression and isn't even at HV yet. While the pack looks cool, that isn't the kind of pace I'm looking for.

Threefold's approach to the pack isn't typical. He overbuilds the poo poo out of everything. By contrast, this was my machine stack when I ended LV on my last playthrough:

My main machine stack. Note the one (1) (singular) basic steam turbine. I never made more.

This was my power source for most of LV:

Until I upgraded it to light fuel so I could power my EBF:

The overbuilding style makes for satisfying youtube, but very tedious actual gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
anybody know why my turbines keep blowing up when i leave the chunk? I asked the discord but didnt get an answer.