Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Counterpoint: they shouldn't be easily available because it just gives the killer more exposure, could inspire more people to be like the killer and adds nothing of value to society. It doesn't have anything that the public needs to see or know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Counterpoint: they shouldn't be easily available because it just gives the killer more exposure, could inspire more people to be like the killer and adds nothing of value to society. It doesn't have anything that the public needs to see or know about.

I can see that, but I've read some of these "manifesto's" that weren't impossible to find, and they are pure nonsense. People deserve to know their children are dying for pure nonsense. The value it adds is by showing the pointlessness of the whole thing.

Edit again: The inspiration thing is bad, but I don't know that we have a mass shooter inspiration problem in this country thats holding the number back at this point.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

gurragadon posted:

Because people deserve information, and people who read these manifestos deserve to be rightfully upset that there loved one's died for such pointless reasons. They don't have to read them if they don't want to, but they should be able to easily.

The reasons are obviously pointless. None of us need to read someone's journal to know that their reasons for killing a bunch of kids are pointless.

And more importantly, releasing info like that just serves to reinforce the power fantasies of the next person to walk into a school and start shooting because (among many other, equally insane reasons) they see it as their way to be heard.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

gurragadon posted:

People deserve to know their children are dying for pure nonsense

Are there people who currently think otherwise?

"Yes, it's scary to think my children might be terrorized and brutally destroyed in a suicidal assault on their classroom, but at least I take some comfort in knowing that the killer likely had some good reasons for doing it.." Nobody thinks this - school shooters, and whatever rationales they outline in they claim, are already discredited on the basis that they are school shooters.

I really can't imagine a more universal belief among Americans than "school shooters don't have any good reason to shoot up schools."

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 17, 2023

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Baronash posted:

The reasons are obviously pointless. None of us need to read someone's journal to know that their reasons for killing a bunch of kids are pointless.

And more importantly, releasing info like that just serves to reinforce the power fantasies of the next person to walk into a school and start shooting because (among many other, equally insane reasons) they see it as their way to be heard.

It is a way to be heard in this country. It's a terrible way to be heard but it is a form of being heard in this country. I can't say their reasons are obviously pointless without knowing. The fake rationale they put up in defense of their reasons should be known so they can be looked out for.

I just think that when information is made fully available it better serves the public.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

"Yes, it's scary to think my children might be terrorized and brutally destroyed in a suicidal assault on their classroom, but at least I take some comfort in knowing that it would help the killer promote an important message that we all need to hear." Nobody thinks this - school shooters are already discredited on the basis that they are school shooters.

I really can't imagine a less universal belief among Americans than "school shooters don't have any good reason to shoot up schools."

I truly don't believe people know the pure absurdity of the rationale in some of these manifestos. When they talk about internet memes and Sam Hyde and poo poo like that. Like I think everyone thinks their reason is stupid, I just don't think they know how stupid and pointless it is.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm all for damnatio memoriae on mass shooters. Don't publish their names, their manifestos, nothing. If you want to publish something about the tragedies concentrate on the victims. Put out stories about how a six year old went from learning to ride bikes for the first time to decorating the wall with their grey matter. Stop encouraging other mass murderers to seek the attention they get, focus it on the people paying the price for our hosed up society.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

gurragadon posted:

It is a way to be heard in this country. It's a terrible way to be heard but it is a form of being heard in this country. I can't say their reasons are obviously pointless without knowing. The fake rationale they put up in defense of their reasons should be known so they can be looked out for.

If the idea is, "we need these manifestos available because they help us identify and save people who might enter the same psychological spiral," that's a good reason to make them available to the public. It's not a good reason to put them all over the news but to make them public so researchers or clinicians can use them for that purpose.

quote:

I just think that when information is made fully available it better serves the public.

Agreed, there are some tricky exceptions but generally this is a good reason to make information available to the public.

quote:

I truly don't believe people know the pure absurdity of the rationale in some of these manifestos. When they talk about internet memes and Sam Hyde and poo poo like that. Like I think everyone thinks and knows their reason is stupid, I just don't think they know how stupid and pointless it is.

This is completely ridiculous. The vast majority of us already know that mass shootings are 100% stupid and 100% pointless. If anyone thinks "maybe that murder spree wasn't totally stupid and pointless" then they don't need to read the manifesto, they need urgent psychological assistance, because they're deeply unwell.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

If the idea is, "we need these manifestos available because they help us identify and save people who might enter the same psychological spiral," that's a good reason to make them available to the public.

This is a good reason to make them available to the public.

This is completely ridiculous. The vast majority of us already know that mass shootings are 100% stupid and 100% pointless. If anyone thinks "maybe that murder spree wasn't totally stupid and pointless" then they don't need to read the manifesto, they need urgent psychological assistance, because they're deeply unwell.

This is a fair and you are correct the last part is the weakest reason. It's just the reason I latched onto because when I read some of these things it's what stuck out to me, and it just seems like there reasons are so absurd. I know there is no reason to shoot a child, but to know that the shooter didn't even have a reason really sticks with me.

I guess I figured because it led me to a new anger it would lead everyone to it, but that's not necessarily true, and people may have already known more than I did. Edit: Or don't need to read a manifesto to be as angry as I am about it.

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm all for damnatio memoriae on mass shooters. Don't publish their names, their manifestos, nothing. If you want to publish something about the tragedies concentrate on the victims. Put out stories about how a six year old went from learning to ride bikes for the first time to decorating the wall with their grey matter. Stop encouraging other mass murderers to seek the attention they get, focus it on the people paying the price for our hosed up society.

I agree we should publish about the victims, and they should be the major focus of any mass shooting event. I don't agree with damnation memoriae on basically anything though, things need to be recorded so we can refer to them and hopefully not keep making the same mistakes.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 30, 2023

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

One reason to make it available is it allows people to have some evidence to point to to at least attempt to counter the chudosphere's claims that the shooting was caused by gender ideology terrorism or whatever.

I don't think it justifies being aired on national news, but if the police and politicians are going to name a motive, it's important that the public be able to examine the evidence they based that conclusion on.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the issue is more about how the media reports on manifestos, with out-of-context lines often taken as straight or literal, which ends up being most people's exposure to them. The manifestos themselves might contain useful information about the person writing them/their motivations but they are political documents and their purpose isn't to give straight answers.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
We've been publishing their names and manifestos, spreading their faces and actions across the evening news for 30 or more years now. Try something different, maybe? OK sure if you want the stuff available for clinical research yeah I can agree to that I guess. It should not be riding high on the top of Twitter. We, The People, don't need and can't use that poo poo. It has not and will not improve anything. In public they should be faceless, nameless murderers that caused Mary Smith to no longer be able to volunteer down at the Humane Society every Sunday like she has been for the last twenty years.

Stop giving them the attention they want.

Stop rewarding them for murdering innocent people.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Yes, absolutely. There are many people who think that people do this because they are bad people, that they're evil. That it's some sort of moral failing. This leads to a sort of moral panic, and a general feeling that we need to tighten down the moral control of society. You can see this in the quote from Rep. Tim Burchett from a couple pages back:

quote:

Asked whether there was a role for Congress to play in preventing tragedies that are exceedingly common in the US while being exceedingly rare in the rest of the world, Burchett responded: “I don’t see any real role that we could do other than mess things up, honestly … I don’t think you’re going to stop the gun violence. I think you got to change people’s hearts. You know, as a Christian, as we talk about in the church, and I’ve said this many times, I think we really need a revival in this country.”

In reality, while their acts are certainly evil, when you read these manifestos you get the distinct impression that they have completely lost touch with reality. Can't barely hold a coherent thought. No amount of teaching good Christian values to them would have helped.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I dunno, a lot of the loudest and worst Christians (the sort who say we need a Revival) are pretty incoherent themselves.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

PT6A posted:

I dunno, a lot of the loudest and worst Christians (the sort who say we need a Revival) are pretty incoherent themselves.
I mean...

If anyone thinks "maybe that murder spree wasn't totally stupid and pointless" then they don't need to read the manifesto, they need urgent psychological assistance, because they're deeply unwell.

For the people who already think like that, no evidence is going to change their position. But lots of people are undecided or easily swayed. Hiding the reality makes it easier to promote their nonsense and pull people down the rabbit hole.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Your in a damned if you do damned if you don't situation though. Not releasing materials looks like you are hiding something and people fill in the blanks with their biases. Doing it obviously leads to emboldening people, gives credence to the violence. HOW the media reports this stuff is important as we know from everything from Columbine to now, for years the narrative was losers who loved their video games and come to find out they were relatively popular kids in who may of been involved with the white supremacist movement.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

gurragadon posted:

Yeah, it seems like they are going to release the manifesto of the shooter Audrey Hale eventually.

https://www.msn.com/en-za/news/crim...lic/ar-AA19gj6Q

I think it's pretty important to get the writing or video or whatever out into the public though. Half of these "manifestos" are total nonsense, and the public deserves to know why their family, friends and neighbors are dying.

A side note, if you find yourself writing a manifesto and you're not Karl Marx, you should probably seek psychiatric help.

Not calling you out specifically but violent manifesto-writing isn't a mental disorder and won't be treated as such. The societally-prescribed treatment for violent behavior is to wait until you do a crime and then lock you up for it. In that sense the system is working as intended.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

bird food bathtub posted:

We've been publishing their names and manifestos, spreading their faces and actions across the evening news for 30 or more years now. Try something different, maybe? OK sure if you want the stuff available for clinical research yeah I can agree to that I guess. It should not be riding high on the top of Twitter. We, The People, don't need and can't use that poo poo. It has not and will not improve anything. In public they should be faceless, nameless murderers that caused Mary Smith to no longer be able to volunteer down at the Humane Society every Sunday like she has been for the last twenty years.

Stop giving them the attention they want.

Stop rewarding them for murdering innocent people.

I wholly agree with this. This popped up in my news feed today:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/audrey-hale-nashville-shooter-manifesto-b2310840.html

If I was a shut-in who felt like I didn't belong because people thought I was weird, who felt ignored by everyone, and who was generally angry at the world, this would be pretty drat enticing to do something horrible and have everyone suddenly interested in me, looking into every aspect of my life, and posthumously getting to know me and why I do the things I do. It really is the attention that a lot of these people crave. Love me or Hate me. But don't Ignore me.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Releasing a manifesto can be done in a way that doesn't hyper-publicize it (it can be in an article somewhere without being blasted across every 24/7 news channel for a week), but that requires the powers that be to actually exercise restraint and not go for What Gets Clicks/Ratings, so that's out.

I think in this case given that the shooter had a connection to the location, whatever they wrote may be relevant or interesting. Not worth promoting, but it should be available to those who want to read it.

"We shouldn't glorify mass shooters because it encourages copycat crimes / other attention-seekers" is a fine stance to take, but it sure would be nice if we would actually do something useful to stop mass shootings -- a better social net to stop people from getting in situations where they're desperate, and better mental health care for the times people do. Neither of those is ever happening here, though :lol: :blastu: :murica:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Your in a damned if you do damned if you don't situation though. Not releasing materials looks like you are hiding something and people fill in the blanks with their biases. Doing it obviously leads to emboldening people, gives credence to the violence. HOW the media reports this stuff is important as we know from everything from Columbine to now, for years the narrative was losers who loved their video games and come to find out they were relatively popular kids in who may of been involved with the white supremacist movement.

I think I agree here. There has to be some more nuance between completely hiding it vs sensationalizing it and blasting the catchiest quotes as headlines on the top of every news story. IMO it would might be good balance for the news to not quote from it at all, not really give any specifics, but just give some generalities about how they had a rambling, hate-filled manifesto that didn't make sense and experts say it showed that the person was in an unstable frame of mind, etc. 99.9% of people aren't going to track down and read the entire manifesto anyway, they're just going trust whatever the news said about it. And then you can make the whole thing available somewhere for people who need it professionally.

edit:

Zamujasa posted:

Releasing a manifesto can be done in a way that doesn't hyper-publicize it (it can be in an article somewhere without being blasted across every 24/7 news channel for a week), but that requires the powers that be to actually exercise restraint and not go for What Gets Clicks/Ratings, so that's out.

fair

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 30, 2023

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sounds like the shooter was following Jehovah's commands just fine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I haven't seen this come up, except on Twitter, so take it with a grain of salt; but there was at least one lawsuit (https://cases.justia.com/tennessee/court-of-appeals/2014-m2013-02273-coa-r3-cv.pdf?ts=1403648321) regarding abuse at Covenant where the appeals court thought there was sufficient evidence to justify reversing a lower court's dismissal of damages for "assault":

quote:

However, having liberally construed the complaint as we must at this stage of the pleading process, we find the complaint states a cause of action for assault against the individual defendants and one of the religious institutions. Therefore, we must reverse the trial court’s dismissal of the plaintiffs’ allegation of assault and affirm the court in all other respects.

I'm not a lawyer but to me that just says that there's enough meat on the lawsuit to go forward with proceedings, not that there was a finding in any particular direction, so it's hardly a smoking bullet.

That said, there's also this, which is unrelated to the above case but :

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/andrewkaczynski/co-author-of-mike-huckabee-books-was-accused-of-child-molest#.jrM4KJ8LV

quote:

Likewise, a police investigation launched in 2012 found the allegations against Perry "were sustained," according to a police department spokesperson, but that statute of limitations had passed.

"The alleged sexual battery was reported to have occurred when the victim was between the ages of 11 and 14," said Nashville police department spokesperson Don Aaron in a statement to BuzzFeed News.

"As a result of the investigation, the allegations of sexual battery were sustained, but it was determined that the statute of limitations had tolled, barring prosecution. The victim was age 18 when she first disclosed the allegations to non-law enforcement and said at that time she did not want the matter reported to the Tennessee Department of Children's Services or the police."

So, there was at least one high-profile sex creep at/around Covenant at the same time Audrey Hale would have been in attendance. I've seen speculation that the manifesto won't be released because it relates to sexual abuse that Audrey received while at Covenant, but of course, we don't actually know that.

In either case, I think it would be valuable to release the manifesto, if only because there's so few female school shooters that differences in motivation might reveal some data that could be used for public good. Or it could just be the incoherent ramblings of troubled individual, only one way to find out!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The WaPo interviewed hundreds of Americans who own AR-15s about why they have them.

It's pretty wild.

A very large percentage of them are at least somewhat concerned that society is on the verge of collapse and they will need it in the aftermath of the collapse of global order. However, most of them say they need it for self-defense and protecting their family to make sure they aren't outgunned by a criminal with a gun.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1641484935197339650
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1641485228987281408

quote:

Why do Americans own AR-15s?

The AR-15 is the best-selling rifle in the United States, industry figures indicate. Almost every major gunmaker now produces its own version of the weapon, which dominates gun dealers’ walls and websites.

Critics claim that the military-style gun has no legitimate civilian use — yet about 1 in 20 Americans own one. So who chooses to buy an AR-15, and why?

The Washington Post and Ipsos asked nearly 400 AR-15 owners to explain their reasons for having the weapon, what they use it for and how often they fire it.

The survey found that AR-15 owners come from red, blue and purple states. Compared with Americans as a whole, AR-15 owners are significantly more likely to be White, male and between the ages 40 and 65. They’re also more likely to have higher incomes, to have served in the military and to be Republican. And AR-15 owners are more likely to live in states former president Donald Trump won in 2020 than adults overall.

Self-defense was the most popular reason for owning an AR-15. Other popular answers included recreation, target shooting and hunting, while some pointed to owning an AR-15 as their Second Amendment right.

The Post-Ipsos poll is one of the most detailed nationally representative surveys to date focused on the opinions of AR-15 owners.

The gun industry estimates there are about 20 million AR-15s in circulation. There is no way to independently confirm that number, but polling can estimate how many Americans own them.

National surveys by Ipsos in 2022 found that 31 percent of adults own guns. The Post-Ipsos survey of AR-15 owners estimates that 20 percent of gun owners own an AR-15-style rifle. Taken together, the polls find that 6 percent of Americans own an AR-15, about 1 in 20.

The data suggests that with a U.S. population of 260.8 million adults, about 16 million Americans own an AR-15.

“To ensure I would not be outgunned if I had to defend my family and property with the rate that society is going.” A 52-year-old man said.

Full poll results when asked an open-ended question about why they own an AR-15:

quote:

Self defense/Protect home/self/family - 33

Fun/Recreation/Sport or hobby shooting - 15

Target shooting/Take to range/Competition - 15

Second Amendment/It’s my right/Because I can - 12

Hunting - 12

Like the way it looks/Like it/Because I want to - 9

Easy to use/Simple/Accurate - 6

Used one in the military/as a police officer/Use for work - 4

Customizable/Platform/Versatile - 4

In case of chaos/Government tyranny - 3

Was a gift/Inherited it - 2

Collection/Collector - 2

Angers liberals/Because people want to ban them/Because they make other people afraid - 2

Other - 5

No answer - 2

Not sure whether it is funny or horrifying that 2% of people answered the bolded response without prompting when asked an open-ended question.

Demographics of AR-15 Owners in America compared to other gun owners and the average American:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Spree shooters are assholes and it sucks that we keep giving these dumb fucks fifteen minutes of fame.

You don't need to know their name, you don't need to know their rambling pointless thoughts, the only thing about them that matters is that they had access to a gun and that's the thing people should focus on because making it harder for lovely assholes to get guns is the only thing that's going to stop this from happening over and over again.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cat botherer posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidJollyFL/status/1641119107696455680

quote:

In its environmental analysis for the current lease sale, the Biden administration estimated the oil and gas drilling from this sale could emit about 21.2 million metric tons of carbon dioxide.
Biden climate policy continues to go just great. This auction was part of the inflation reduction act, but this sale apparently goes beyond its requirements.
Not defending the policy but just to put it in context, 21.2 million metric tons is about a day and a half of US petroleum usage.

e: My math was a mess I dunno. We use about 6.5 billion mt a year, which works out to about 17 million mt per day.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 30, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Yiff posted:

One reason to make it available is it allows people to have some evidence to point to to at least attempt to counter the chudosphere's claims that the shooting was caused by gender ideology terrorism or whatever.

"This will help me fact check Chuds" is never a valid reason for anything. They can't be fact checked. They are fascists- they cannot be reasoned with.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

The point isn't to reason with them, it's to demonstrate to onlookers that they're full of poo poo.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Who are these onlookers that need people to factcheck Greene for the 50th time about whatever insane poo poo she's saying?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Yes, absolutely. There are many people who think that people do this because they are bad people, that they're evil. That it's some sort of moral failing. This leads to a sort of moral panic, and a general feeling that we need to tighten down the moral control of society. You can see this in the quote from Rep. Tim Burchett from a couple pages back:

In reality, while their acts are certainly evil, when you read these manifestos you get the distinct impression that they have completely lost touch with reality. Can't barely hold a coherent thought. No amount of teaching good Christian values to them would have helped.

The distinction you're drawing between "evil" and "lost touch with reality" has some academic significance but it's irrelevant to popular discourse. Every strata of society sees school shooters first and foremost as "crazy." What differs is just what we believe produces "crazy" people (evolution in schools? Brain chemistry? Atheism? Social circumstance? Too much sex on TV? Too little sex in real life?) and these manifestos won't persuade people to drop whatever beliefs they already held on that question.

For some social science and psychology researchers, these manifestos are valuable documents for analysis. For everyone else they are basically horrifying Rorschach tests that show you what's already obvious (mass shooters are violently deranged) and otherwise only enable you to project your own narrative onto an unreliable text.

They should be publicly available but they basically have not ever, and will not ever, make a positive contribution to the public discourse.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 30, 2023

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

koolkal posted:

Who are these onlookers that need people to factcheck Greene for the 50th time about whatever insane poo poo she's saying?
We mainline it every day, but there are a lot of people whose diet of political opinion might just be a trickle - a work conversation here, a facebook post there. Somebody could go a whole year and only hear one or two statements out of somebody like MTG - and they weren't around when everybody was correcting her the week before.

I'm honestly not super sure that fact checking is all that helpful either, but I can certainly see an argument for at least having a response to each new lie in your pocket.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

koolkal posted:

The people who didn't see or hear the first 49 times.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

koolkal posted:

Well meaning family members of mine that are generally liberal/leftist but easily fall for reactionary ragebait about social issues.

Sorry to break it to any goons that haven't touched grass lately, but that represents A LOT of liberal/leftist voters, in my experience.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's not for nothing that there's a huge amount of people who get their right wing fact checking through Jimmy Fallon.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

I have an unwanted burden of having to be tuned in to every utterly deranged chud talking point about trans people because I have personal skin in the game, and honestly most people who don't have to worry about this poo poo just aren't.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Biden is still refusing to negotiate over the debt ceiling and McCarthy says that Republicans will just pass their own debt ceiling bill with all the cuts they want over and over until the Senate accepts and Biden signs it. McCarthy says they won't send a clean bill to raise the debt ceiling and will try to blame the Senate for a default until Biden agrees to negotiate or accepts their bill.

McCarthy had previously said that the House Republicans would not be offering their own specifics for spending cuts. McCarthy says this is proof that Republicans will not allow default and if a default occurs, then it is because the Senate and Biden did not accept their bill to raise the debt ceiling.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1641522675926310915

quote:

WASHINGTON — Speaker Kevin McCarthy said Thursday that House Republicans are prepared to pass their own debt ceiling bill if President Joe Biden won't agree to negotiate with him over raising the nation's borrowing limit.

He said the Republican conference is “very close” to agreement on the issue. “And if the president doesn’t act, we will.”

McCarthy said a House debt ceiling bill would reflect the contours of his letter to Biden earlier this week that proposed a borrowing limit extension with provisions to cut and cap discretionary spending, recapturing unspent Covid relief funds, new work requirements for federal benefits and energy and border legislation.

McCarthy's remarks represent a significant twist in the stalemate over the debt ceiling. It is the first time he has said the GOP-led House can act on its own to avert default, in response to Biden saying that paying the country's bills is non-negotiable and that he won't grant Republicans any policy concessions for it.

The Republican speaker has previously insisted on negotiations and avoided saying the House would act without Biden's buy-in. He oversees a slim majority and would have a difficult time passing a debt limit bill with only Republican votes. That bill would then be sent to the Democratic-controlled Senate, and need Biden’s signature to become law.

“We have been reasonable, responsible, asked to sit down with the president for months. He is making the decision that he wants to put the economy in jeopardy. I don’t know what more I can do,” McCarthy said. “I would bring the lunch to the White House. I would make it soft food if that’s what he wants. It doesn’t matter.”

Does McCarthy have the votes?

Still, some lawmakers doubt that Republicans can go it alone in the House.

Rep. Tom Cole, R-Okla., the chair of the House Rules Committee, said Republicans will “absolutely” need some Democratic votes to get any debt limit bill passed through the closely divided chamber.

“We need some restraints on spending," he said. "And Democrats — the only place they seem to want to restrain spending is in defense. And the only place we want to spend is in defense, and obviously veterans. So, again, two sides have to sit down and craft a deal."

In response to McCarthy's letter earlier this week, White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said Biden “welcomes a separate conversation” about budget policy, but not linked to paying the bills that Congress has legally imposed on the country.

“It’s time for Republicans to stop playing games, pass a clean debt ceiling bill and quit threatening our economic recovery,” she said.

Democratic leaders are supporting Biden’s position, saying Congress should pass a “clean” debt limit bill with no strings attached and negotiate spending policy separately on a government funding bill.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said there’s nothing for Democrats to negotiate with until Republicans craft a plan and prove they have the votes in the House to pass it.

"He doesn’t name anything specific at all. So if they were to sit down, you’d have to ask yourself, what are Speaker McCarthy and President going to talk about — the weather?" Schumer told reporters earlier this week. "We have a plan. We want to pass the debt ceiling without hostage taking without brinksmanship, just get it done like we’ve done under both Presidents [Donald] Trump and Biden. They still don’t have a plan."

Rep. Byron Donalds, R-Fla., said that if Democrats wanted a clean debt limit increase, they should have passed it last year while they had control of Congress.

"Joe Biden could have had his clean debt ceiling six months ago. He chose not to do that. So now, FAFO," Donalds said Thursday, using an acronym for the phrase "f--- around and find out." "Now he's got to deal with House Republicans. And we're gonna work we are going to make sure that we reform and cut unnecessary spending to get our country back on track."

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Meatball posted:

The people who didn't see or hear the first 49 times.

Apologies for the post about posters - in this case, myself - but I really need to learn how to be more concise. :blush: Meatball said it much better.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Spree shooters are assholes and it sucks that we keep giving these dumb fucks fifteen minutes of fame.

You don't need to know their name, you don't need to know their rambling pointless thoughts, the only thing about them that matters is that they had access to a gun and that's the thing people should focus on because making it harder for lovely assholes to get guns is the only thing that's going to stop this from happening over and over again.

I don't like saying what people need or don't need to know because I don't know what it takes to influence a person. I know that my thoughts changed after reading some of these writings to think even worse of these shooters because of how arbitrary, pointless, rambling and frankly deranged they are.

I agree that you don't need to blast it out, but I think the primary writings should be linked or readily available to people who are interested in them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Doctor Yiff posted:

The point isn't to reason with them, it's to demonstrate to onlookers that they're full of poo poo.

It's self-evidently full of poo poo. Nobody seriously thinks trans people are shooting up schools for the sake of "gender ideology". It very clearly doesn't make any sort of sense.

In any case, the far right is happy to dismiss mass shooters' manifestos, websites, social media profiles, and any other evidence that doesn't fit their narrative.

For example, Dylann Roof not only wrote a white supremacist manifesto, but left extensive evidence of his racist beliefs online, and many of his acquaintances said his racism was well-known. Yet Fox and Friends suggested that it was ridiculous to call the Charleston church shooting a hate crime, and Alex Jones suggested that the whole thing was a "set-up" and that Roof had been acting at the behest of federal agents seeking to create an excuse for a total federal takeover.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Biden is still refusing to negotiate over the debt ceiling and McCarthy says that Republicans will just pass their own debt ceiling bill with all the cuts they want over and over until the Senate accepts and Biden signs it. McCarthy says they won't send a clean bill to raise the debt ceiling and will try to blame the Senate for a default until Biden agrees to negotiate or accepts their bill.

McCarthy had previously said that the House Republicans would not be offering their own specifics for spending cuts. McCarthy says this is proof that Republicans will not allow default and if a default occurs, then it is because the Senate and Biden did not accept their bill to raise the debt ceiling.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1641522675926310915

Well, if this is what it takes to actually find out what they actually wanted for cuts...

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whether or not to release manifestos and other messages from spree killers is a tough call, one I'm glad I don't have to make. Avoiding a situation where killing a bunch of people becomes a great way to get your super cool ideas broadcasted nationwide is obviously a high priority.

One argument for releasing them is to say, "look at the kind of people you are letting get guns." It's not like the guns had been sitting around their parents house - they bought the guns within the last few weeks, at the same time that they were writing their presumably insane manifesto. Like, ask somebody to visualize somebody sitting down at their keyboard and writing violent, paranoid nonsense and then heading over the gun store for a no-questions-asked purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Main Paineframe posted:

It's self-evidently full of poo poo. Nobody seriously thinks trans people are shooting up schools for the sake of "gender ideology". It very clearly doesn't make any sort of sense.

In any case, the far right is happy to dismiss mass shooters' manifestos, websites, social media profiles, and any other evidence that doesn't fit their narrative.

it's incredibly trivial to craft a narrative that makes absolute sense, what are you talking about?

trans people are very obviously and very directly being targeted by right wing poo poo across the country, a narrative of someone finally having enough and going on a rampage is a story that writes itself. feed that to someone who isn't well aware of the real happenings and boom

even if it was insane, we have a literal congress person who literally appears to believe in Jewish space lasers. "very clearly doesn't make sense" doesn't matter in this world.