Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

mastershakeman posted:

Not as many options isn't the same thing as no options. The food desert studies excluded places like Walgreens or other places with lovely but real options for canned stuff, some basics for cooking, eggs, milk, etc.

The solution to poor areas having fewer good options for buying food wasn't to give money to companies to open stores with more fresh vegetables, but that's the one that was chosen since it enriched politicians friends

Heres an example

https://abc7chicago.com/whole-foods-englewood-closing-grocery-store/12447317/

At the time, then-Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the city committed over $10 million in tax breaks to help make the store a reality.

Giving whole foods 10m is totally fine. But giving people money to afford whole foods prices? No. Absolutely not.

This is America. Everything is a supply side problem, under no circumstances can we work to help people on the demand side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

HOW THE gently caress does religious freedom exempt them from requiring coverage for cancer screening? holy poo poo this is bad.

Willa Rogers posted:

that cancer-screening stuff was always kind of a trap bc if "preventive" exams actually find anything they're then coded as "diagnostic" & subject to that $8,000 deductible.

ah, cool loop hole, glad to live in this loving country. :waycool:

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Mar 30, 2023

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Frosted Flake posted:

It's like with covid. Most societies faced with epidemic deadly disease tried to do something and saw it as a bad thing.

[CITATION NEEDED]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Louisgod posted:

feels like 97% of americans live in an innate state of denial as they lack the general tools to compartmentalize our state of collapse without being completely overwhelmed, so it's easier to ignore it and focus on important things like football and red wine.

I guess this is what I'm wondering about. I don't expect the American City of God to be forthcoming, because the book that captures the spirit of the age would have nearly an opposite intention, but I don't know how Steven Pinker and Thomas Friedman are going to keep the whole thing going in the face of greater and greater daily, material, evidence to the contrary.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

landscaping guy I know says that mulch, of all things, is in short supply and skyrocketing in price lately. fuckin mulch lol

This will affect boomers and we will hear about Joe Brandon hogging all the mulch because of the woke mind virus.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Turtle Sandbox posted:

This will affect boomers and we will hear about Joe Brandon hogging all the mulch because of the woke mind virus.

The first real covid protests I remember were about buying grass seed or something.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Radirot posted:

HOW THE gently caress does religious freedom exempt them from requiring coverage for cancer screening? holy poo poo this is bad.

ah, cool loop hole, glad to live in this loving country. :waycool:

The primary religion in America is suffering

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Relentlessboredomm posted:

This is America. Everything is a supply side problem, under no circumstances can we work to help people on the demand side.

cut snap benefits, and insured svb's over $250K two weeks later

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Frosted Flake posted:

The first real covid protests I remember were about buying grass seed or something.

that was the bizarre michigan stuff where stores were allowed to be open but couldn't sell certain things because only some commercial transactions ward off infection.

dumbest possible rules, so you can bet your rear end it was liberals behind them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
New number just dropped
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1641451223432970246?t=JyRS_77S30U_QzRGPAxzPQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1641451240847728641?t=-DxaMzcJhj38_jPStDwqkQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1641489682843283466?t=dtvD0TGezkJjDDd_-gLmqQ&s=19

No dedollarization. Seems like the safe bet!
https://twitter.com/donnelly_brent/status/1641404626078425096?t=LsFHXCBA86XlcqHQfjvZfw&s=19

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Mar 30, 2023

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

that little orange bar is creeping up a little bit though

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

A bunch of articles came out over the last week about countries switching trade over to local currencies. Let me post charts that end in 2022 debunking this:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"Uhh that'll cost 3 money please" - something people say nowadays, IN OPPOSITE TOWN

fine. Dollars. :colbert:

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Frosted Flake posted:

An Empire with America's perverse socially demanded/conditioned optimism collapsing is going to be interesting because at least Augustine knew what the gently caress was up, and was optimistic about what was going to come after Rome, instead of smiling and going about his day repeating "Roma invicta".

It's like with covid. Most societies faced with epidemic deadly disease tried to do something and saw it as a bad thing. America devoted all of their energy into pretending nothing was wrong.

I don't know, I think speculation about American Optimism can be trite but I don't really know what happens when a society that expends tremendous amounts of social control into the maintenance of optimism has to contend with your lying eyes warning you something is going on nearly constantly. I think from covid it will be fair to say you won't be able to say anything about it, much less do anything (or expect anyone else to), but... lol I mean...

Eventually the house burns down anyways.

because you're you, I think the best parallel for the collapse of the American empire will be the Austrian empire from 1848-1868.

Compromised leaders, a byzantine and ineffectual bureaucracy, fading of international importance leading to a revanchist and angry conservative minority, culminating in an uneasy and only barely-there sharing of power with a disliked faction.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

imagine America as a mine shaft and everything will make sense

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

it is so cool that we can get 2 different made up numbers and say the truth is in the middle: a different made up number.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah but the inflation calculations are apparently like 50% gas prices so this is saying that the price of gasoline is tracking the price of gasoline

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

there are an average of 1,500 train derailments in the US every year. you're just hearing more about it now because of the Ohio incident last month. the media is capitalizing on the fact that the articles generate clicks, and absolute morons like you fall for it and think everything has started collapsing

shut the gently caress up liberal

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

i'm the cny bar showing a clear trend of going up lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
is saying that "uh ackchoolee there's 1 and a half thousand derails every year" supposed to be a point in your favor? lmao

quote:

Derailments in the United States are a particularly bad problem compared to other countries. While recording 777 million train-kilometers in 2019 (train-kilometers are the measure of a train traveling the distance of one kilometer), 1,338 derailments took place in the country. The EU, by contrast, only saw seventy-three derailments that year despite, by one count, recording 4.5 billion train-kilometers. For Japan, the same year saw more than 2 billion train-kilometers, according to Knoema, and only nine derailments. (In fact, the number of derailments in Japan over the past twenty-one years alone is roughly one-eighth of the amount the United States sees on average in a single year).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

there are an average of 1,500 train derailments in the US every year. you're just hearing more about it now because of the Ohio incident last month. the media is capitalizing on the fact that the articles generate clicks, and absolute morons like you fall for it and think everything has started collapsing

Shut up lib. There's a difference between "Whoops, train came off the track at a yard" and "A train carrying 100,000 gallons of toxic materials tipped over and poisoned an entire town. GUESS WHATS HAPPENING MORE RIGHT NOW?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
if gdp is less than inflation, even if gdp is positive, doesn't that mean recession

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've been assuming the whole time that a "typical" train derailment involved some kind of minor accident rather than train cars tipping over and getting smashed. I feel like I'd have heard about it if 1,500 train went flying off the tracks and exploded every year.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
i bet the gdp of zimbabwe is very high. likely trillions and trillions of zimbabwe dollars every second.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been assuming the whole time that a "typical" train derailment involved some kind of minor accident rather than train cars tipping over and getting smashed. I feel like I'd have heard about it if 1,500 train went flying off the tracks and exploded every year.

Nah apparently we're the morons because if it happened 1500 times it must be normal.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

these days I’m not sure if we’d hear about nukes going off if the media didn’t think it would benefit a billionaire

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lpzie posted:

soon, the dollar will be company scrip like our measurement system. well be completely isolated and all the captains of industry will flee to the Moon

Snow Crash when

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

i think it's funny how, if AI is such an existential risk, the much saner thing to do is not to make the US the world police and nuke the entire world, but rather... turn off the internet. just turn off the DNS root servers and you don't have to kill billions of people. but yudkowsky is so online that the option is literally unthinkable to him

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lpzie posted:

soon, the dollar will be company scrip like our measurement system. well be completely isolated and all the captains of industry will flee to the Moon

We all should be so lucky if the oligarchs hosed off to the moon.

The finest moon base humanity could ever come up with still needs constant resupply and maintenance and even then poo poo can just go wrong. It's also no place for useless idle rich, they'd have to work. If nothing else, they're going to succumb to cancer from all the radiation and respiratory disorders from the lunar regolith. Did you know that lunar regolith is really jagged because it isn't weathered? The closest thing we have on Earth is diatomaceous earth, which is frequently used as one of the few things that can kill bedbugs because it scraps up their exoskeleton. In this way, lunar regolith will also prove effective at killing parasites.

Tuckerd
Mar 29, 2023

by vyelkin

RealityWarCriminal posted:

if gdp is less than inflation, even if gdp is positive, doesn't that mean recession

two years of stock market losses doesn't mean recession so? :jerry:

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

skooma512 posted:

We all should be so lucky if the oligarchs hosed off to the moon.

The finest moon base humanity could ever come up with still needs constant resupply and maintenance and even then poo poo can just go wrong. It's also no place for useless idle rich, they'd have to work. If nothing else, they're going to succumb to cancer from all the radiation and respiratory disorders from the lunar regolith. Did you know that lunar regolith is really jagged because it isn't weathered? The closest thing we have on Earth is diatomaceous earth, which is frequently used as one of the few things that can kill bedbugs because it scraps up their exoskeleton. In this way, lunar regolith will also prove effective at killing parasites.

i'm reading The Dispossessed right now, as a matter of fact

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Aglet56 posted:

i think it's funny how, if AI is such an existential risk, the much saner thing to do is not to make the US the world police and nuke the entire world, but rather... turn off the internet. just turn off the DNS root servers and you don't have to kill billions of people. but yudkowsky is so online that the option is literally unthinkable to him

This would make number go down while people are alive.
Nuking the planet would also make number go down but nobody would be alive to see such a travesty.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Everything is normal in fact everything is hypernormal

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Oglethorpe posted:

just spray some WD-40 on the rusted carriers and warships and they'll look brand new

Recall all the gulf veterans from 30 years ago. They'll still fit into the uniforms right?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

skooma512 posted:

for people having trouble picturing this, it's when you order a resin dice set.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
remember how longer MMOs that are active for decades need to redo/cleanse their in-game economy after an expansion release?

america is the same way. we need more gold sinks

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

FlapYoJacks posted:

Shut up lib. There's a difference between "Whoops, train came off the track at a yard" and "A train carrying 100,000 gallons of toxic materials tipped over and poisoned an entire town. GUESS WHATS HAPPENING MORE RIGHT NOW?

Yeah I believe derailments are partially a consequence of our century old rail infrastructure and generally just means "train jumped a track and needs to be put back on the rails"

We would never stop hearing about this poo poo if they were major derailments. If incidents like east palestine were thrice a day events, east palestine wouldn't have received any reporting

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Penisaurus Sex posted:

because you're you, I think the best parallel for the collapse of the American empire will be the Austrian empire from 1848-1868.

Compromised leaders, a byzantine and ineffectual bureaucracy, fading of international importance leading to a revanchist and angry conservative minority, culminating in an uneasy and only barely-there sharing of power with a disliked faction.

Mein gott!

America is hosed then, and the Hungarian part of the American ruling class is going to run it into a wall while causing it’s breakup.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
https://mynorthwest.com/3866942/kirkland-church-forcing-employees-tithe-salary-lawsuit-underway-churchome/

quote:

An employee of Kirkland-based Churchome was told her job was in jeopardy if she failed to tithe — or donate 10% of her earnings back to the church. Tithing, the age-old practice of donating money to a church, is typically done voluntarily. 

The employee filed a lawsuit with the King County Superior Court last week. 

Rachel Kellogg has been working for Churchome since December 2019 and is currently a post-production producer. According to the lawsuit, she claims she was unaware that tithing was mandatory when she was hired, and that it was not included in the job posting.

“I’ll be very honest: People have already been transitioned and moved on and fired because they were not tithing,” Churchome pastor Judah Smith told employees during a virtual staff meeting, according to Kellogg.

The suit alleged Smith emphasized that tithing was a condition of employment at Churchome. Furthermore, Kellogg claimed Smith used the Bible to urge employees to “sell their possessions and belongings” rather than failing to pay tithes. 

Afraid of losing her job, Kellogg said she set up automatic withdrawals from her bank account to meet the 10% threshold. However, after being involved in a serious car accident that August, Kellogg experienced a strain on her finances.
this is a great idea and as soon as the supreme court signs off on it on religious freedom grounds you can start expecting to see more businesses require you to pay them to maintain employment.

a worthy temple to number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/business/status/1641546611506704384?s=20