Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

My favorite weird mod author story is the guy who made Gears ore for World of Warcraft. It was an addon that told you at a glance how good someone's gear was, so raid leaders could evaluate applicants quicker etc.

When Blizzard added a paid cosmetic mount to the game, some people got insanely mad about that including the addon author, so he quietly changed the addon to show anyone who owned the mount as having poo poo gear so nobody would invite them to groups. It took weeks before anyone caught on.

Rofl that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

My favorite weird mod author story is the guy who made Gears ore for World of Warcraft. It was an addon that told you at a glance how good someone's gear was, so raid leaders could evaluate applicants quicker etc.

When Blizzard added a paid cosmetic mount to the game, some people got insanely mad about that including the addon author, so he quietly changed the addon to show anyone who owned the mount as having poo poo gear so nobody would invite them to groups. It took weeks before anyone caught on.

lmfao

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

This is praxis

rox
Sep 7, 2016

wrath of the snitch king

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
did anyone else play Sven Co-op? Some of the levels people made for that mod were insane and it never made any sense but i had a lot of fun with friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAu6nLLW0co

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

My favorite weird mod author story is the guy who made Gearscore for World of Warcraft. It was an addon that told you at a glance how good someone's gear was, so raid leaders could evaluate applicants quicker etc.

Was it just that it was a paid cosmetic or was it something really funny that they were mad about?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Was it just that it was a paid cosmetic or was it something really funny that they were mad about?

It was a spectral gryphon or something, nothing special but wow players like to get insanely angry over trivial things so

rox
Sep 7, 2016

rox
Sep 7, 2016

imagine hating women this much

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

people destroyef their lives over THIS?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It was a spectral gryphon or something, nothing special but wow players like to get insanely angry over trivial things so

Blizzard had to swoop in and break some mod people were using in BC classic since you could buy a special upgrade that came with a mount and streamers got so mad they were demanding their viewers to go DL it and it would spam /spit on anyone riding it lol. People are wild.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i had this.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Majestic.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Stux posted:

i had this.

not the reason

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Stux posted:

i had this.

it rules

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

My favorite weird mod author story is the guy who made Gearscore for World of Warcraft. It was an addon that told you at a glance how good someone's gear was, so raid leaders could evaluate applicants quicker etc.

Lmao

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm reading that Ancient Rome fanboy posting that was linked in here a bit ago now and lol

Agesilaus posted:

Academic and professional institutions have waned where law schools exist and are often necessary to become a lawyer. The schools simply waste three years of your life and place you in an immense amount of debt, despite having very little to do with the practice of law, very little to do with the formation and support of gentlemanly practitioners, and ultimately very little to do with anything of value at all. Law schools are a black mark on academia and the legal profession, and allowing such dreadful institutions to serve as gatekeepers is really a harmful regression from better days.

Okay I see where you're starting off detecting some baseline issues with modern societies...

Agesilaus posted:

Politically, culturally, economically, and socially, many modern societies are flawed in certain respects compared to ancient societies like that of Sparta. Modern America, for example, is oppressed by the nobility clause, does not have an explicit class-based society, and in many ways is governed and controlled by low class people given over to money. Importantly, the institutions are designed to be vulgar and are beholden to lower class interests.

I guess the rot at the root of American democracy is actually the poors? Unlike the completely un-stratified ancient Greeks, especially Sparta. :stare:

Then someone posts a lot of ancient Roman dick carvings....

Agesilaus posted:

If you lot can't respond to what I've said, then just move on. There's no need to trot out the same, tired joke about ancient graffiti. I never said ancients were better or worse at graffiti, in case you're legitimately wondering, so give it a rest.

Agesilaus posted:

I'm seriously laughing right now over how ridiculous and close-minded you lot are being[...]

Frosted Flake posted:

Did you skip your class on Classical democracy? Are you suggesting that we go back to social classes and citizenship? What is the ideal ratio of slaves to freedman?
No; yes; and that's a topic for discussion.

:catstare:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Jose posted:

did anyone else play Sven Co-op? Some of the levels people made for that mod were insane and it never made any sense but i had a lot of fun with friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAu6nLLW0co

sven coop was a lot of fun. the rpg maps are all totally busted most of the time but the They Hunger coop campaign is still badass to this day

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

One of my favorite mod stories is that gmod modder who got banned, melted down, and pushed an update with a screaming goatse jumpscare to all his mods.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
reminded of this classic video game moment

STONE COLD 64 posted:

in 2006 i had gone to SDCC which was a fun time. there was a snakes on a plane experience, brian o'halleran was by the clerks 2 booth dressed as buddy christ, i got my dreamcast signed by diamond dallas page and virgil, great stuff. anyway after the third day we were kinda wiped and went to call it a trip.

me and my cousin are out in the valet pickup by the back entrance of the convention center and i notice final fantasy illustrator Yoshitaka Amano loading a bunch of portfolio cases into the back of his rental. i work up the courage and walk up to him and ask if i could just get a picture with him but he says "sorry, no english, sorry, sorry", not making eye contact, obv doesnt want to be bothered. i walk away kinda disappointed but then he sees my cousin smoking like 10 feet away, walks up to him and in perfect english asks "hey man could i borrow a cigarette?"

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Endorph posted:

the buried lede in the minecraft fairy torture is that that guy names one of the fairies 'mom' and then never unpacks this

-wife. They meant wife. Ha ha did they just say mom?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Brute Squad posted:

One of my favorite mod stories is that gmod modder who got banned, melted down, and pushed an update with a screaming goatse jumpscare to all his mods.

https://twitter.com/Thafnine/status/1532723243156652035

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Brute Squad posted:

Remembering a mod for original Skyrim that was on the workshop. Because it was on the workshop it updated automatically to everyone who subscribed to it when the author had a weird meltdown and changed the description of every item in the game to '[Guy critical of the mod] SHOULD TAKE HIS OWN ADVICE'. Lots of frustrated comments from people who had no idea what the gently caress that was about whose game was suddenly ruined.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lmfao
steam workshop -> insane garry's mod guy inside! [steamfuking(no)]

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Don't Goatse
Download Inside

copy
Jul 26, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Don't Goatse
Download Inside

lol

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

it's kind of insane how wild west old internet Steam still feels. so much racism, so many scams, so many gross mods.

on a certain level I kind of love it?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This reminds me of when I was reading a bunch of WoW drama about Blizzard re-releasing some "prestige" mounts (that you used to only be able to get from codes on trading cards or something?) and decided to actually look up the mounts, and all of them looked about this stupid or much stupider

I mean, I love stupid MMO mounts as much as anyone, but it was amazing to look at this poo poo that people paid hundreds of real dollars for and were outraged that other people could now pay tens of real dollars for

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Meanwhile, FF14 has much cooler mounts, like :nws:

Sentient Data posted:

Final Fantasy 14 is currently running an event where you can basically get a costume of an npc race that looks like this:

That outfit can be dyed to change its colors. There's also a mount (vehicle) that's a large gorilla carrying you in one arm while it runs around

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

This reminds me of when I was reading a bunch of WoW drama about Blizzard re-releasing some "prestige" mounts (that you used to only be able to get from codes on trading cards or something?) and decided to actually look up the mounts, and all of them looked about this stupid or much stupider

I mean, I love stupid MMO mounts as much as anyone, but it was amazing to look at this poo poo that people paid hundreds of real dollars for and were outraged that other people could now pay tens of real dollars for

One time WoW released an updated high-res model of an insanely rare mount called the Black Scarab that you got from a limited time event because the game's lead producer had the mount

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the guy who created etherium and led the development on NFTs and all they have wrought did so primarily motivated because blizzard nerfed the poo poo out of Siphon Life during Wrath of the Lich King. "I saw everything to do with either government regulation or corporate control as just being plain evil. And I assumed that people in those institutions were kind of like Mr. Burns, sitting behind their desks saying, ‘Excellent. How can I screw a thousand people over this time." lol

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Antivehicular posted:

I don't get the rage about giving people another shot at old prestige armors or mounts or whatever.

You've had years to be the special little guy with the shiny sword or whatever, why give a poo poo now that it probably looks worse than regular stuff due to being a 10 year old+ model?

Babe Magnet posted:

the guy who created etherium and led the development on NFTs and all they have wrought did so primarily motivated because blizzard nerfed the poo poo out of Siphon Life during Wrath of the Lich King. "I saw everything to do with either government regulation or corporate control as just being plain evil. And I assumed that people in those institutions were kind of like Mr. Burns, sitting behind their desks saying, ‘Excellent. How can I screw a thousand people over this time." lol

I knew it was a guy mad about his warlock but he held that grudge for over a half decade minimum? loving hell.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Deki posted:

I don't get the rage about giving people another shot at old prestige armors or mounts or whatever.

You've had years to be the special little guy with the shiny sword or whatever, why give a poo poo now that it probably looks worse than regular stuff due to being a 10 year old+ model?

I can almost understand it if it's prestige stuff you previously had to earn via gameplay achievements -- like, it's still pretty sad to be hung up on, but I can sort of get the logic of "what the gently caress, I spent weeks beating the Challenge of the Fartlord to get this cosmetic, and now any random dipshit can buy it for $20?" -- but I think the stuff I was looking at was never even gated by anything but money, by buying trading cards or whatever? So it was purely "people who pay less for the same thing I have are stealing from me and devaluing my purchase."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The guy who knows way too much about pillows a few pages back reminded me of this thread, where someone posted asking "hey I really like this fork, does anybody know what make it is so I can get more forks like it?" and within five posts a Fork Knower showed up to post in detail about every brand it might be, and all the various advantages and disadvantages of the fork

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950903&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I can almost understand it if it's prestige stuff you previously had to earn via gameplay achievements -- like, it's still pretty sad to be hung up on, but I can sort of get the logic of "what the gently caress, I spent weeks beating the Challenge of the Fartlord to get this cosmetic, and now any random dipshit can buy it for $20?" -- but I think the stuff I was looking at was never even gated by anything but money, by buying trading cards or whatever? So it was purely "people who pay less for the same thing I have are stealing from me and devaluing my purchase."

That’s correct. They just gradually readded them into the game in various ways for players.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Marcade posted:

lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cheetah7071 posted:

The guy who knows way too much about pillows a few pages back reminded me of this thread, where someone posted asking "hey I really like this fork, does anybody know what make it is so I can get more forks like it?" and within five posts a Fork Knower showed up to post in detail about every brand it might be, and all the various advantages and disadvantages of the fork

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950903&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Then there was a fork knower schism with a second fork knower turning up to challenge every single thing they had said

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Marcade posted:

Omg yes lmao

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

There is nothing better on this website than when Esoteric Thing Knowers show up to spout their wisdom

This is in turn why this thread is so great: it's an Esoteric Thing Knower thread about the forums, and thus a perfect recursive spiral of Good Knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Two Hours until IZWF