Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Yeah, I found out the hard way that my camp site is utter balls for structures because I'm on a hill. My blueprint was built on the flat surface by Grafton Steel, so I really don't have room for it anywhere. However, it did get me thinking I should make some quick structures like you are talking about to get the basics down fast for a workshop. I had to collect 20 nuka colas and do 10 forest events, so taking three workshops and putting a collectron in each worked like a charm. If I ever want to horde some serious nuka cola I will probably go hog wild taking workshops on a private server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

NofrikinfuN posted:

Yeah, I found out the hard way that my camp site is utter balls for structures because I'm on a hill. My blueprint was built on the flat surface by Grafton Steel, so I really don't have room for it anywhere. However, it did get me thinking I should make some quick structures like you are talking about to get the basics down fast for a workshop. I had to collect 20 nuka colas and do 10 forest events, so taking three workshops and putting a collectron in each worked like a charm. If I ever want to horde some serious nuka cola I will probably go hog wild taking workshops on a private server.

I always take the food factory on the west end of the map, plunk down all the resource generating goodies, then go about actually playing the game. Sugar bombs to make brain bombs are a pain to farm without using that workshop, and cola nut means most of the free nuka colas are useful for something.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I always take the food factory on the west end of the map, plunk down all the resource generating goodies, then go about actually playing the game. Sugar bombs to make brain bombs are a pain to farm without using that workshop, and cola nut means most of the free nuka colas are useful for something.

I had briefly flirted with the idea of using cola nut when I was getting tons of Twist from Nuka World events, but I never got around to figuring out how to make use of them with the favorites wheel. I'm way too dependent on slamming right to use a stimpack.

That reminds me, is there any way to make it stop defaulting to diluted stimpacks when I pick them up? That is actually going to get me killed, those things don't heal for poo poo.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Yeah, dont pick them up.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

the unabonger posted:

Yeah, dont pick them up.

That's a bummer, I just slam the nearby corpses > pick up all to save time. (Which I then use managing my carry weight.)

Thankfully, aside from jamboree for acid I don't pick things up during events anyway, so it's just something to remember along with all the other steps to file away junk and loot.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I use Diluted only and have no issues stayiing alive. :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
apparently the scrip award from mutated events is directly awarded and not throttled? that's a pretty huge change!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

NofrikinfuN posted:

I had briefly flirted with the idea of using cola nut when I was getting tons of Twist from Nuka World events, but I never got around to figuring out how to make use of them with the favorites wheel. I'm way too dependent on slamming right to use a stimpack.

That reminds me, is there any way to make it stop defaulting to diluted stimpacks when I pick them up? That is actually going to get me killed, those things don't heal for poo poo.

I used a stack of Cola and honey and managed to jetpack from the top of Seneca Rocks halfway to the Whitesprings, Cola Nut is pretty dank.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I used a stack of Cola and honey and managed to jetpack from the top of Seneca Rocks halfway to the Whitesprings, Cola Nut is pretty dank.

Yeah, Cola Nut is one of those perks you should absolutely slot in if you have the room.

Heck, if you have the Cola Collectron you might even get rid of Stimpacks, Radaway and Travelling Pharmacy (unless you also like to slam all the drugs) because Cola Nut plus a Nuka Cherry is superior to a Stimpack and Nuka Grape removes more Rads, restores some AP AND has no debuffs. On top of that, any Cola removes some thirst.

Cola Nut owns.

Quantums are slightly harder to come by but that's where the Coffee machine comes in. :D

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

If I ever want to horde some serious nuka cola I will probably go hog wild taking workshops on a private server.

I tried this today and it predictably ended with the game crashing before I went back for round 2 on like 5 workshops. You'd think a private server would have a grace period for game crashes since you need an active subscription to even start one, but nope, just poof.

If I try again, I will make a point of focusing on the less buggy/sprawling workshops and maybe pick up all the power plants. Might as well get some fusion cores out of the deal.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:
it's suposed to be 15 minutes for the host, and 5 minutes for friends, but sadly yea a crash is instantly gone. Lost a few items while trading with myself when that happened.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

One thing I've noticed is that if you crash out and try to immediately return to your private world, you can usually get back into the same private world. You'll know if you're headed back into the same world by the somewhat reduced loading times.
Upon returning, it will appear as though your previously captured workshop is unowned, this is a weird bug and if you travel back to the workshop, it'll trigger the owned status again.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Spooky Scorched are back, for whatever reason, and the loot is still bad. The scrip they drop is fine, though.

They spawn in the usual Scorched places, Line in the Sand and Collision Course are the perfect events for getting a LOT of them.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

Spooky Scorched are back, for whatever reason, and the loot is still bad. The scrip they drop is fine, though.

They spawn in the usual Scorched places, Line in the Sand and Collision Course are the perfect events for getting a LOT of them.

April Fools on Saturday.

I didn't realize they could spawn in Line in the Sand, but I have farmed them in collision course as well as a few spots they always seem to spawn like Morgantown trainyard and airport. My first camp was in the field of a homestead where one or two would spawn during the Halloween event. :allears:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

It's so lazy, couldn't we do spooky bots or spooky mutants just to mix it up

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Spooky Mutants would own, add in the occasional surprise 3* Spooky Behemoth and you got an event worth farming.

The idea of Assaultrons, Gutsies and Sentry Bots in costumes is extremely hilarious as well.

NofrikinfuN posted:

April Fools on Saturday.

I didn't realize they could spawn in Line in the Sand, but I have farmed them in collision course as well as a few spots they always seem to spawn like Morgantown trainyard and airport. My first camp was in the field of a homestead where one or two would spawn during the Halloween event. :allears:

April Fools? I'd rather have something actually funny instead...

Anyways, Spooky Scorched can spawn literally anywhere normal Scorched show up, including events that have a chance to spawn normal Scorched, so Scorched Earth is an option as well.

Someone on Reddit made a map last year.

Checked with Mappalachia myself and it checks out. Map is the Reddit one. Numbers are the amount.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 30, 2023

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Another Bill posted:

I've wondered this as well. Hell, trot out the mutant berserkers that you only see during that one BoS quest or something. Spawn a bunch of firestarters that shoot squirt guns at you. Make all the blood eagles spawn as that horrifying clown npc from the Whitespring Resort.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sensenmann posted:

The idea of Assaultrons, Gutsies and Sentry Bots in costumes is extremely hilarious as well.

A Mister Handy shooting at me dressed like Santa would be amazing

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Another Bill posted:

A Mister Handy shooting at me dressed like Santa would be amazing

They do already have a Ms Nanny clown and a Mr Handy in a Witch hat too, so this wouldn't be a huge stretch.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Finally done with Raider rep, now I just need a few more for the Settlers. The grind suuucks. Worse yet, the last few times Eviction Notice has popped, too many people were either AFK or just illiterate. That Gauss Shotgun better be good.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

Finally done with Raider rep, now I just need a few more for the Settlers. The grind suuucks. Worse yet, the last few times Eviction Notice has popped, too many people were either AFK or just illiterate. That Gauss Shotgun better be good.

It's a solid gun for sure, but I do have to say, I haven't used mine since I unlocked the Cold Shoulder. Your mileage may vary.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I built a new camp and have been having fun decorating the place. I went ahead and made the Hunter's Lodge my main building with a side shed for vendors and a bunch of crafting benches/stashes. Some people have criticized the lack of buildable area on the lodge walls and the non-functional fireplace, but on the whole it looks 100x better than anything I could build from parts. It is a shame it doesn't just allow you to use the modular lighting fireplace.

Apparently, I plopped the camp down on a wildlife spawn point, because I always have frogs, beavers, rabbits, etc wandering around. I love how it feels like a peaceful little getaway, the area south of Foundation is pretty nice.

The only drawbacks I've encountered are that once (so far) the spot was taken by someone else and the wildlife, while not aggro, put a timer on all fast traveling away from the camp.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with a lot of the camp items from this scoreboard. They have great woodsy cabin vibes.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Gauss Shotgun is ridiculous with all the perks. Now I only have to learn how to not blow myself up.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I made the Hunters Lodge my new "fall back" camp in case my usual spot is occupied, which is extremely rare.

I really like it as well and that it has actual, intact windows is a big plus. I'm really tired of all the prefabs with either broken windows or missing doors...

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Agreed, just unlocked the Lodge the other day and have been enjoying building around its limitations. Easily the best prefab they've released.
Placing it can be tricky, it's footprint's deceptive if you're not in freecam, and even then can be finicky to place.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I did a test placement at a workshop before I went hunting for a new campsite and someone nuked the workshop so I got to see that the hunters lodge has a kind of rad busted/hollowed out broken version as well. But yeah, I dig the "completeness" of it.

Also, Gauss shotguns are super good, especially for distance shots compared to normal shotguns. They are a little weird at times and seem kind of like they either do hilarious amounts of damage or look like they hit and do no damage. The thing that bugged me when I was using one was the way the charge would sometimes get stuck since I had a bad habit of charging a shot I didn't need and then having to holster so I didn't misfire when I tried to interact with something. I don't know if those problems exist if you use a VATS build, though.

My only foray into VATS so far has been a Quad Auto Railway and those are kind of ridiculous, not to mention unusable outside of VATS.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The gauss shotgun was my main weapon from about levels 100-450ish, and I was very dependant on VATS for longer range adversaries, comfortably one-shotting everything less than a Scorchbeast when a crit landed.
Nowadays I'm mostly running a quad tesla rifle, and it goes pew-pew really nice, even if it burns through ammo like mad.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

NofrikinfuN posted:

My only foray into VATS so far has been a Quad Auto Railway and those are kind of ridiculous, not to mention unusable outside of VATS.

quad automatic railway rifle is so satisfying, I never made a low health build and would routinely carry daily ops with that

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

quad automatic railway rifle is so satisfying, I never made a low health build and would routinely carry daily ops with that

I tried pushing deeper into VATS last night and added Gun-Fu and Grim Reapers Sprint. With a little luck on GRS and solid line of sight, you can just annihilate a room full of enemies with a ridiculously low amount of effort. My only gripe is I want to be able to toggle an auto-crit because it's awkward to hold the button down while choo-chooing so I frequently just do without.

It's kind of annoying to think that free aim is pretty actively punished versus speccing into VATS, but I guess that's kind of the games gimmick versus other shooters.

KittenJucerSupreme
Feb 12, 2023

by the sex ghost

NofrikinfuN posted:

It's kind of annoying to think that free aim is pretty actively punished versus speccing into VATS, but I guess that's kind of the games gimmick versus other shooters.

I mean that and things like power armor and most heavy weapons discourage it (Dodgy is one of the best damage reduction perks in the game but absolutely chews through AP), but yeah its generally better to do VATS if only because of crits. I've been running a TS/25/25 laser rifle for 1000 hours and even with nothing specced outside of max Better Criticals the game is generally very easy.

If you use a non-railway reflex sights and forceful stocks reduce AP cost too btw (Slug Buster also had a hidden reduction perk too), and combining that with cost reduction legendary and food buffs plus things like gun-fu and action boy/girl and crit stuff you can stay in vats for a long time.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

NofrikinfuN posted:

I tried pushing deeper into VATS last night and added Gun-Fu and Grim Reapers Sprint. With a little luck on GRS and solid line of sight, you can just annihilate a room full of enemies with a ridiculously low amount of effort. My only gripe is I want to be able to toggle an auto-crit because it's awkward to hold the button down while choo-chooing so I frequently just do without.

If you go all out on a VATS crits build, you can do some seriously dumb stuff. If you're Herbivore, the Megasloth Mushroom soup gives you 125% crit damage, which turns normal crits into stupid crits. I have a Q/25/25 handmade I use for the queen, and if I go all in on it, the queen melts shockingly fast.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I'm so bad at managing resources like AP and ended up getting frustrated and dropping the quad rail build for a while. Against weak enemies it goes off like crazy because the chances of getting your AP back before you run out are so high. When I took it into Eviction Notice, suddenly I met enough resistance to run the meter out with no plan B. It was incredibly annoying.

On an unrelated note, what's a bloodied/25FFR/break slow LMG worth? I pulled one from a party pack and didn't want to scrip it but I don't see myself pulling off a bloodied build, especially if I can't manage a basic VATS build.

KittenJucerSupreme
Feb 12, 2023

by the sex ghost

NofrikinfuN posted:

On an unrelated note, what's a bloodied/25FFR/break slow LMG worth? I pulled one from a party pack and didn't want to scrip it but I don't see myself pulling off a bloodied build, especially if I can't manage a basic VATS build.
A lot, I think. That's a perfect 1st and 2cd star and 50% durability is only topped by weightless for a heavy. That'd probably be trade only or as many caps as you want in a vendor depending on how much you feel like dealing with trading outlets.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

Not as much as you'd think.

https://fed76.info/pricing/?item=lmg&effects=B/FFR/Dur

The LMG is one hell of a beast but you need to be prepared for two things.

The first is that maintaining ammo for it will be a huge pain in the rear end for most players. .308 is expensive to craft, so to get decent yields it should be Primed which in turn means you like dropping nukes for the Flux. The contextual ammo system in DOs can work IF you can kill poo poo quick and don't need a dozen shots per victim.

Second is that it's the only heavy weapon that's not fire and forget. It's extremely accurate but the recoil is so bad that you need to shoot in controlled bursts. As far as I know, only the RR has worse recoil. That LMG with 25% AP Cost as 3* star would be a trade only item, with Dur, it's not.

As for VATS with Heavy Weapons:

You can absolutely make it work in VATS but it requires that you have a build that supports it.

Or, go ham with food buffs. Blight Soup or the above mentioned Megasloth Mushroom Soup both amp up the crit damage. Blackberry Honey Crips, Company Tea or Sweet Labrador Tea for faster AP Regen. Honey/Honeycombs, Canned Coffee or Quantums for a quick topup.

Out of those, only Blight Soup, Coffee and Honey can be farmed somewhat easily and quick or have camp items for a steady supply. Ironically, The Quantum bot sucks at finding a decent amount of Quantums...

Company Tea is a pain in the rear end to make because it requires Sweet Labrador Tea, which is already a bitch to make, plus Whiskey, Cream and Nuka Cola but 20AP per second for an hour is a really good buff, it's just one of those buffs that absolutely require dedicated farming runs.

Blackberry Honey Crisp is the best AP Regen buff but it requires Royal Jelly and there are, as far as I know, only 8 on the entire map and none of them are guaranteed to spawn, only a 50% chance. It's the best for AP regen buffs but it's also the by far the most infuriating ingredient to farm. Royal Jelly you can find on Honey Beast doesn't work, that's classified as junk...

TL;DR If you want a VATS Heavy Weapon, aim for a Gatling Gun.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Good tips.

The Quantum Collectron absolutely sucks for collecting actual quantums, I find I get way more on the regular with the original, earlier-released Nuka Collectron, which seems to be a far more reliable source for the glowy blues as well as the other flavours.

One thing I've done to make collecting resources at workshops easier is a 2x1 platform upon which I've blueprinted all the collecting items (wood pile, aforementioned collectron, some water coolers, beehive, coffee machine etc), a couple of turrets and all the crafting stations on an upper platform. Pop in a server, pick a workshop with the additional resources you want/need (Hemlock for acid, Cabins for lead, etc), capture it and place the blueprint. It immediately starts collecting loot, the turrets help with the inevitable "Defend the Workshop" event (itself a good tip for those "complete an event in the X region" challenges - take a workshop in X and you'll get a defense event in a few min). A visit back every 20 min or so can net you a nice little stash if you capture workshops on the regular.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I got a hazmat suit out of storage and ventured into a blast zone right next to my C.A.M.P. and... what am I supposed to do there? I picked some weird berries and killed a few bloated ghouls but... aside for the loving noise (I was wearing headphones) what the heck is it for?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I got a hazmat suit out of storage and ventured into a blast zone right next to my C.A.M.P. and... what am I supposed to do there? I picked some weird berries and killed a few bloated ghouls but... aside for the loving noise (I was wearing headphones) what the heck is it for?

farming materials to make stable flux. You can use stable flux as a material to make other more powerful ammo and certain mods for power armor.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

the unabonger posted:

farming materials to make stable flux. You can use stable flux as a material to make other more powerful ammo and certain mods for power armor.

FYI: It's about 50x easier to just play the game, sell crap to vendortrons, and buy the Flux for 50-100 caps per piece than it is to farm it by hand. If you go all-in on the ammo making perks, you can get a few hundred rounds per craft really easily, so 3k caps worth of flux ends up making you 5k+ ammo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

the unabonger posted:

Ah. That's... underwhelming. I was expecting something wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ah. That's... underwhelming. I was expecting something wild.

If you blow up the right parts of the map, you get to fight a boss! Cran Bog has the Scorchbeast Queen, Morgantown gets you Earle the gigantic Wendigo, Nuka Cola World gets you the Ultracite Titan. Once they're dead, you can also farm fluxes. Also nuked areas respawn the enemies way stronger, so it's also decent leveling if you're able to use PA with your build.

Back in the day, the best possible legendary/EXP farm was to nuke Whitesprings, which would turn all the ghouls into glowing ones, letting you use glow sight to clown on mobs that would give 1k+ exp. They got nerfed down to 350ish, and were still the best thing going for leveling until they instanced West Tek.