Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm half tempted to try it in one of my beat-around guitars but I think it'd need to be wired with 2 volume knobs since the output would be so wildly different between the two

This didn’t stop them from using 1 volume on my HSS Mexi strat. The volume drop off is pretty silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Well, this is a bit depressing - about 10% of the time I switch my Harley Benton Les Paul clone into the "treble" position for the bridge pickup, it goes dead instead. If I switch it back to the middle and then more forcefully switch it into treble, that seems to activate the pickup no matter what, but aggro-jamming the switch all the time doesn't seem like a good idea for long-term wear. I'm dreading that their warranty service will probably ask me to ship the guitar from California back to Germany. Does this seem like an easy fix or a common problem on LP-style guitars, or is it more likely a wiring gremlin that needs work to track down?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Try spraying it with contact cleaner and giving it a good wiggle first. If not, buy a new switch for 10 dollars and solder it in, those style switches are very easy.

When I bought a Harley Benton it was garbage as hell, and when I asked for a refund, they let me keep it because it's not cost effective to pay to ship a 150 dollar guitar back oversea

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

istewart posted:

Well, this is a bit depressing - about 10% of the time I switch my Harley Benton Les Paul clone into the "treble" position for the bridge pickup, it goes dead instead. If I switch it back to the middle and then more forcefully switch it into treble, that seems to activate the pickup no matter what, but aggro-jamming the switch all the time doesn't seem like a good idea for long-term wear. I'm dreading that their warranty service will probably ask me to ship the guitar from California back to Germany. Does this seem like an easy fix or a common problem on LP-style guitars, or is it more likely a wiring gremlin that needs work to track down?

It's pretty cheap and easy to swap out for a switchcraft switch. LP style switches are very easy to work with.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

istewart posted:

FWIW, my Player Mustang does this too lol.
I am pretty sure it's just the switch being an rear end in a top hat.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I just impulse bought a Sire Lary Carlton S7. :cripes:

pic stolen from the internet:

I guess I'll find out if its worth the hype when it shows up.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 31, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Carth Dookie posted:

I just impulse bought a Sire Lary Carlton S7. :cripes:

pic stolen from the internet:

I guess I'll find out if its worth the hype when it shows up.

I love that Sire has a cool clone of every huge guitar and they are all Larry Carlton signature models.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

TheMightyBoops posted:

I love that Sire has a cool clone of every huge guitar and they are all Larry Carlton signature models.

yep.

I've held/played a Fender Strat Ultra Luxe with all the bells and whistles and if the hype/reviews/videos are to be believed the S7 offers all the niceties of that and arguably a little more (except stainless steel frets) for 1/3rd the price.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's pretty cheap and easy to swap out for a switchcraft switch. LP style switches are very easy to work with.

Yeah that repair takes about 10 minutes and most of that is warming up the soldering iron.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Boy this F chord sucks rear end. I've not has as much trouble with a new chord in over a month.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Boy this F chord sucks rear end. I've not has as much trouble with a new chord in over a month.

apply force by pulling your shoulder/elbow back a bit instead of trying to grip it with your hand.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

i like going the opposite way-- close voice triads on guitar >:)

fwiw the common F shape barre chord is just a common chorale arrangement, too -- 1, 5, 8, 3.

hell yeah close voiced triads rip on guitar. I'm a huge fan of throwing in minor dyads over power chords

Nitrousoxide posted:

Good news- that's the hardest basic chord there is. One thing I wish someone pointed out to me sooner- an F chord is just an E chord moved up 1 fret. You can move it anywhere, so play with it. I really like leaving off the barre finger and move the other 3 fingers up and down the fingerboard droning against open strings. Play with that- it'll give you all kinds of weird ideas.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 31, 2023

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
speaking of chords, I haven't really been too big into them. What are some cool chords to play and mess with under gain in metal that have cool dissonant sounds from slightly, to bigly. I feel like they are used pretty often in more modern metal, but I don't know enough to summon the name of the actual songs I've heard them in to look up.

I like to play in phrygian, and phrygian dominant a lot

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I really like those choppy jazz chords they use in the mid-career talking heads songs. I don't know what they're called properly but it's like
code:
E|x-x-10-x-10-x--x-10-8-x-8-x-8-8-8-|
B|x-x-10-x-10-x--x-10-8-x-8-x-8-8-8-|
G|x-x-10-x-10-x--x-10-9-x-8-x-9-9-9-|
D|----------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------|
just chop the gently caress out of those things until the outside of your picking hand hurts

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

I really like those choppy jazz chords they use in the mid-career talking heads songs. I don't know what they're called properly but it's like
code:
just chop the gently caress out of those things until the outside of your picking hand hurts

it's just the upper part of a bigger chord.

compare it to an "open" dmaj7 -- XX0222. that's D, A, C#, F#. if you didn't play the open D string, it'd still sound like a dmaj7 to your ears and definitely to the listener's ears if there was a D note playing somewhere else in the song along with it-- like if the bass guitar hit D on the first beat of that measure. but also if the bass was emphasizing an F# note, it'd sound like an F#m/A, because those are the notes actually being played by the guitar.

so now that you have that info, you can just move it around and figure it out... by removing the open bass note, you've effectively "closed" the chord, you just know what else needs to accompany it. so on the 10th fret like you posted, it'd be working as a Dm/F. then you can work out the rest just by counting half steps and intervals.

learned this on piano since notes are really far away from each other there-- if you're playing I and want a vi, it's much easier to just move your thumb up to A from G and have an Am/C than it is to move your entire hand up to Am root pos.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

ALSO since you said jazzy-- that's something jazz guitar players do a lot, especially in styles where there are 13th chords and poo poo. we don't have that many fingers to work with, so one option is to play the upper part of the chord and let the bassier instruments fill everything out.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ah that's neat as all hell! Thank you for explaining it out

I don't even know how I came to associate those shapes with jazz playing to be honest because I only know them from Talking Heads/Nile Rodgers style vaguely disco playing. And as I learn more (and people share more) about the theory side of things it makes it seem wild to have learned things by "shape", that feels comparatively primitive and yet it has carried me for years at this point.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

triads on the first three strings as well as strumming with muted strums and strums on the up-beat like you'd use in ska or funk have been a hole in my guitar playing for a while now so i started working on learning a mighty mighty bosstones song a few days ago to get better at it. nice that this conversation is happening now.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My guitar saga continues.

They didn't have the green one I ordered, so I got a partial discount on an upgraded flame top black one:

I'm ok with that.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

A tip I learned from forums user Kilometers Davies: Reach more over the bass strings with your barre finger than you think you need. In other words, instead of using the tip of the finger to hit the low F on the thickest string, experiment with the a side and pad parts instead.

The four lowest (in pitch) notes are the most important for strummy accompaniment stuff, the four highest are great if you have a bass player. You don’t need to learn the entire chord at once.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I don't even know how I came to associate those shapes with jazz playing to be honest because I only know them from Talking Heads/Nile Rodgers style vaguely disco playing. And as I learn more (and people share more) about the theory side of things it makes it seem wild to have learned things by "shape", that feels comparatively primitive and yet it has carried me for years at this point.

talking heads are getting it from first wave ska who are getting it from motown (presumably also where Nile Rodgers does - he talks about learning the syncopation cause his teacher played too loud)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

gregday posted:

Sparkle flake Teles own

Is that the j mascis? I like it a lot and debated using it as a bigsby/filtertron platform.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Nile Rodgers stuff is definitely heavily jazz-influenced. You might only be hearing a tiny part of those chords on any given strum, but they're usually big chords with a bunch of extensions or substitutions, and the 16th note strumming gives a lot of opportunities to show off different parts of them.
https://www.sciencebase.com/science-blog/classic-chords-24-chic-good-times.html

It's a wild rabbit hole to go down, but you don't have to get too deep to find some really cool stuff.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is that the four string "little F" or the full 6 string barre chord? I still don't like how my little F sounds, but I think I death-grip it a bit due to residual anxiety about playing it, so I'm actively trying to play it more confidently and gently. It sounds fine if I don't think about it!

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

code:

these can be thought of as triads (Dm/F, C/E) or as a rootless 7th chord - one reason why knowing all the triad shapes is so valuable

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I’m working on an old First Act Firebird clone called the “Delgada.” It’s a reminder to me that First Act tried their hand at high-end guitars cos this thing is pretty drat nice. It has a nitro finish and a bunch of other nice minor details and appointments. The checking looks cool and the white paint ages into that creamy yellow. RIP First Act.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
firebird bareback are cool

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I’m working on an old First Act Firebird clone called the “Delgada.” It’s a reminder to me that First Act tried their hand at high-end guitars cos this thing is pretty drat nice. It has a nitro finish and a bunch of other nice minor details and appointments. The checking looks cool and the white paint ages into that creamy yellow. RIP First Act.

First Act had an actual custom shop with well regarded luthiers at one time.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Anyone have opinions on Troy Stetina's metal guitar books, or other method books in the genre? I've realized I really enjoy working from books so I'd like to get something on metal rhythm guitar.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Siivola posted:

Anyone have opinions on Troy Stetina's metal guitar books, or other method books in the genre? I've realized I really enjoy working from books so I'd like to get something on metal rhythm guitar.

it's very focused on older-style metal guitar (so if you're looking to play modern djent or prog, not super useful), and very rudimentary. so you're looking at like "here's palm muting, downpicking, galloping, and alternate picking, now here's some etudes and the last one is just a ripoff of enter sandman." I was not impressed.

if you're dead set on books the best i've seen on metal rhythm was some of the stuff from fundamental changes. that said, i personally got way more out of putting together a bigass list of thrash metal songs, sorting them by bpm, and just going down the list learning a new one every week or two. there's an element of being in a place just outside your comfort zone with learning to play fast or technical metal rhythm guitar where you kind of need to build a bunch of consecutive small victories for a while to get better once you're past knowing basic technique stuff at slow speeds and that was the best way i found to accomplish that. i think if i was trying to learn in an analog way (which is commendable) i'd probably do something like that and just print out or write down tabs and use a metronome.

https://www.fundamental-changes.com/product-category/guitar/metal/

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thanks, that's helpful! I browsed some reviews and it feels like it's a book for complete beginners instead of intermediate bads like myself. A reviewer of Amazon recommended following it up with Ganapes's Blues You Can Use which uh, I'm already going through. :shobon:

Learning actual songs is honestly the route I should be going, but... I dunno, I'm just wildly more comfortable with generic etudes. It might be that I'm just lazy and don't want to go hunting for tabs across the internet, but having a book or video course hold my hand through a series of exercises feels somehow more like practice.

I think I'll check out the Fundamental Changes catalog, thanks for the tip!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

just noticed gibson raised their prices again and the msrp on a les paul standard is now $3k :captainpop:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i'm not saying that gibson pays their employees fairly cuz i don't know, but it's not surprising for an american made good to cost that much. it just shouldn't be so far off from what we consider fair wages nowadays lol

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

the QC should also be far, far better than what it is for that money

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

My problem with Gibson is when they make something cool that’s not the same 4 Les Paul’s and SGs they make like 9 for 20 grand IE the Explorer the KG guy has (think of how light it is):

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ethanol posted:

just noticed gibson raised their prices again and the msrp on a les paul standard is now $3k :captainpop:

landgrabber posted:

the QC should also be far, far better than what it is for that money

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=sire%20l7&make=sire&product_type=electric-guitars

I've never owned a Gibson, and I'll probably not buy another Fender any time soon.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Heritage Les Pauls are now cheaper and better than gibson ones.

Probably would buy one of those if I wanted an expensive Les Paul(I have a gibson goldtop already).

The Heritage H535 I got last year is better than any 335 I've ever played.

Heritage is just cooler and a better deal at this point.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Malaria posted:

Heritage Les Pauls are now cheaper and better than gibson ones.

Probably would buy one of those if I wanted an expensive Les Paul(I have a gibson goldtop already).

The Heritage H535 I got last year is better than any 335 I've ever played.

Heritage is just cooler and a better deal at this point.

yeah

my favorite local guitar shop is a heritage dealer and some of their stuff is sick.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

sweet another oppurtunity to post about how much i love my heritage h-150. those folks in kalamazoo know how to make a guitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
hope i get to play one eventually, i'd love to see how they feel