Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Milo and POTUS posted:

The art counterfeit thread from a while back went over it and I think it's in switzerland.

what's the difference between that and hoarding, that they don't own the vault?

nah I mean like they're not even really buying the piece of art. they're not having it shipped to them to put in a private collection they're just buying the thing that says they own the painting or whatever and it's in this location like it's a fuckin monkey jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

spacemang_spliff posted:

nah I mean like they're not even really buying the piece of art. they're not having it shipped to them to put in a private collection they're just buying the thing that says they own the painting or whatever and it's in this location like it's a fuckin monkey jpg

lmao

Now I understand why they were trying to make NFTs a thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Entorwellian posted:

lmao

Now I understand why they were trying to make NFTs a thing.

NFTs are different. It's not like Bill Gates is demanding Caravaggio 400$ for "gas money". NFTs are a double-edged grift.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

If I were rich I would simply demand to see proof that the art existed

Why though? The physical thing is irrelevant, as long as you're the legal owner.

At least magic cards have play value (and can be used in tournaments to win money). They're still a scam, but less so than art collections.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i make $400k at my job at bae systems

lots of poors itt

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I make $1/month working night shift at the blowjob factory

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I make $1/month working night shift at the blowjob factory

At least you get a free meal

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BonHair posted:

Why though? The physical thing is irrelevant, as long as you're the legal owner.

At least magic cards have play value (and can be used in tournaments to win money). They're still a scam, but less so than art collections.

So I don't get fleeced like

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Isn't this exactly what just happened with those big bags of nickel at JPMorgan?

By the way the rich get suckered into buying counterfeit art all the time because they're dilettantes at best

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

By the way the rich get suckered into buying counterfeit art all the time because they're dilettantes at best

I'm always cheering for the counterfeiters in those documentaries like Sour Grapes and Made You Look. They never have happy endings though..

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

BonHair posted:

I don't think my underground seas are $1k each because people play them....

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't think my underground seas are $1k each because people play them....

Counterpoint: there's a reason only the cards that get play in legacy tournaments are valuable. Tournaments don't allow you to play cards you don't own for obvious capitalism reasons.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BonHair posted:

Counterpoint: there's a reason only the cards that get play in legacy tournaments are valuable. Tournaments don't allow you to play cards you don't own for obvious capitalism reasons.

an alpha grey ogre, literally used as the definition of unplayable in mtg, is north of 50 USD at a quick check. only cards in demand are valuable but there’s a lot more than cards that are seeing tournament play that are valuable (Commander staples for example).

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Arivia posted:

an alpha grey ogre, literally used as the definition of unplayable in mtg, is north of 50 USD at a quick check. only cards in demand are valuable but there’s a lot more than cards that are seeing tournament play that are valuable (Commander staples for example).

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/official-reprint-policy

?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

how much play do you think a black lotus sees? do you think thats why its $12k?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the point is that alpha grey ogre is valuable even if you can get a much later printing for literal pennies and none of them see any play.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ya whoiops quoted the wrong person

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
~70k clinical social worker.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Milosh posted:

~70k clinical social worker.

Just to get away from ogrechat : ~120k for sending emails

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just to get away from ogrechat : ~120k for sending emails

Thank you for your sevice.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
if the amount i actually worked was the time i was getting paid for id be making like a million bucks an hour browsing the intnert

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
pleased to report that 100% of my labor is unproductive

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
mlyp

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

pleased to report that 100% of my labor is unproductive

We're posting salaries, I don't see the relevance?

Also friendly reminder to discuss salaries with your coworkers. That is praxis.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Impressive wages, I've never broken 50k.
I've earned no money this year lol

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I was homeless like 15 years ago and still have a negative net worth despite my high salary so don't be too impressed by me

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
my income is benjamin buttoning

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I went from min wage to what I make now thanks to a class and a CompTIA a+ goons

Accept your destiny touch computer

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
https://youtu.be/dAH4zGd_W1s

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

civil service owns anyone that knows my name can look at my paychecks online
note: its doesn't own

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Real hurthling! posted:

civil service owns anyone that knows my name can look at my paychecks online
note: its doesn't own

nobody forced you to run for president, mr. Kennedy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Demilich posted:

Impressive wages, I've never broken 50k.
I've earned no money this year lol

drat you should get on that, it's nearly April

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im unemployed / pretend retired

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

i made ~50k last year working as a nursing assistant at a small hospital in Seattle, but probably ~10k of that was from overtime and incentive shifts during COVID. I really, really like my job but

tokin opposition posted:

Accept your destiny touch computer

I will do this if I don’t get into nursing or PA school this year. I can only destroy my body on minimum wage for so long, ya know?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I spent like a decade in academia before I realized the truth of Touch Computer, Big Pharma, post forums, and lie

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
American academia specifically is such a joke, I think there are assistant professors who are getting paid 50-60k starting in NYC.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Truly the best system! Real, actual good work like nursing: low pay. Pretending to touch computers but actually just posting: high pay.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I worked in hospitality for nearly two decades, cultimating in a much loved but ultimately unsuccessful arcade/cafe.

Then I went to the equivalent of community college studying surveying for two years and now earn 167k AUD a year (112k USD) doing 3D modelling and working with point cloud scan data, highly recommended.

I'm only 12 months into this role and it's stressful but interesting, slowly fixing things.

I will legit buy the dude RE4, send me a PM.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Isn't this exactly what just happened with those big bags of nickel at JPMorgan?

Pretty sure the majority of market crashes are just "someone took inventory"

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I have the proud distinction of being the first person in my immediate family not to go to uni and for some reason I've always had poo poo jobs and earn laughable money

At the blowjob factory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I have the proud distinction of being the first person in my immediate family not to go to uni and for some reason I've always had poo poo jobs and earn laughable money

At the blowjob factory

:hai: