Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

wizard2 posted:

ok so thats really really good. how come it never even crossed my mind to name Tentacruel "Cthulhu" before? :doh:

whats a good HP Lovecraft name for Toadscruel? what are the Mythos fungus monsters?

I usually do Zuggtmoy for any female Parasect

Well the well-known ones are the Mi-go, the weird alien fungus-crabs that steal people's brains in the story The Fungi From Yuggoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

Well the well-known ones are the Mi-go, the weird alien fungus-crabs that steal people's brains in the story The Fungi From Yuggoth

They also have wings for flying through space, but they don't function too well on earth, hence why toadscool and co. are landbound

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

Since Toedscruel is pretty much a direct reference to the aliens from War of the Worlds especially Japan's depiction of them I named mine Sarmak. That was the native martian name for them.

https://barsoom.fandom.com/wiki/Sarmak

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Gruckles posted:

Iono is not a virtual tuber, she is very real and can hurt you.

Can confirm, possibly the hardest gym for me, jesus christ that last poke was a savage beatdown.

Furnaceface posted:

Youve had a few answers already but I went in with an average level of 57 and just 6 pokemon I found fun/liked with no synergy, a bunch of shared weaknesses, and some big holes in type coverage. Two of the E4 got me down to my last pokemon, two of the other final battles had me down to 2. It was the most fun E4 match I have had since B/W.

A week later and I was finally able to act on this advice, and it went quite well, thank you! I'd been diligent about EV-training my preferred team so I went in at 54 instead and obliterated the first two, but the third made me sit up and pay attention, and the fourth was a nailbiter that got me down to a half-health Meowscarada. Nemona was a perfect back-and-forth bloodbath that ended exactly how I'd hoped: both of us switching into our starters, grasscat's hard-won EV Speed training paying off, and that stupid duck getting blown away by a Terastalized Flower Trick. The final fight of Operation Starfall ended up being trivial just due to team composition, but man what a delightful gimmick - actually, that whole end sequence for Operation Starfall was great, and Clavell's battle theme is fantastic.

You know, I really wasn't expecting to love Violet as much as I do. I have a couple of poke-friends in a discord who have given off this aura of vague disdain for the last few releases, which put me off giving it a try: I get the feeling the series has been more iterative than innovative for a while, and that must get frustrating as long-time fans. But as a new player to the series aside from playing Red once when it came out, I have to say, Violet swept me off my feet. This is the version of Pokemon that lived in my head as a kid! Maybe it's because I do volunteer work with kids, but I love how it addresses itself to its core audience of tiny humans without ever talking down to them, how relentlessly uplifting it is, how positive the adult role models are, how much absolute joy it has in its world.

And Nemona! Holy poo poo, Nemona. My only concept of a Pokemon Rival was from Red, I had no idea that rivals could be friendly competitors now instead of jerks, and that relationship is just wonderful. The moment she picks a starter that is weak to yours was genuinely surprising and endearing. I've had the pleasure to meet and work with kids who are like her, ones who enter the middle grades and early years of high school without becoming total assholes, who feel a need to protect and encourage little ones, and they are a loving gift. Nemona is such a well-written example of that rare breed, and despite being a silent protagonist, you manage to have such a sweet, uplifting friendship with her that culminates perfectly.

The teachers are universally great, the idealized versions of educator role models. Clavell makes me want to do better as a person and I'm a grown-rear end adult.

And the music, my god. I had high hopes for it with Toby Fox working on the score, and the melody he wrote that ends up all over the place is incredible, but it feels like at least a third of the tracks are bangers. I could listen to the Academy Theme on loop for hours, Team Star Boss Battle goes incredibly hard and gets bonus points for being diegetically played from the speakers on their cars, Clavell Battle Theme almost makes you want to let them win because it feels like they might be right, and Nemona's final fight theme is perfect rivalfighting music, no notes.

And yeah, it's too easy - way, way too easy, at least for an adult! I had to handicap myself severely to get a decent challenge out of it, and even then I would accidentally steamroll about a third of the major encounters, and I'm not even any good at the game. But man, for someone who isn't a series veteran with (understandable!) expectations about what Gamefreak should be doing, this was an incredible experience. Now I just have to decide what's next, Sword or B/W!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Kestral posted:

Now I just have to decide what's next, Sword or B/W!

So glad you liked Violet! It can be hard going backwards in a series due to the lack of quality of life improvements. B/W and B/W2 are both worth playing. B/W has 2 friendly rivals that I think are really great. The Gym leaders have a ton of character and are some of my favourite in the series.

Swo/Shi has a lot of good Pokémon and does some neat things, but the world can feel a little bland at times.

I’d recommend giving Sun/Moon a try. It’s got a cool thing going with kahunas and trials instead of gyms, there’s some great characters, and loads of atmosphere. And in gens 6-8 you can actually change your whole outfit instead of just accessories. Sun/Moon has the Pokepelago too, which I really miss.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's also worth noting that Pokemon B2W2 have a challenge mode, when you get to them.

quote:

In Challenge Mode, opponents use more competent artificial intelligence and the level of opposing Trainers' Pokémon are higher than usual (1 level higher at the start of the game, and rising to 5 levels higher by the end of the game). Gym Leaders and the Elite Four each use one additional Pokémon on their team, as well as their party having different movesets and held items, and their Pokémon's IVs are all set to 30. However, Trainers' Pokémon's stats are still calculated using the levels from Normal Mode (for example, a trainer's Pokémon will appear to be level 63 but still have the stats of a level 59). The raised levels are taken into account for both prize money and experience (the player and their Pokémon will receive more of each).

The way to unlock it is kinda asinine (you have to have someone who's unlocked it transfer the key to your game because starting a new game deletes your key) but if you're emulating I'm sure there are save files with it already unlocked

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Found what might be a max sized Ditto in the wild. Its IVs are garbage, other than having a 0 in Attack being useful to pass on eventually. But I just like the idea of having the world's largest, useless Ditto in a battle.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hrist posted:

Found what might be a max sized Ditto in the wild. Its IVs are garbage, other than having a 0 in Attack being useful to pass on eventually. But I just like the idea of having the world's largest, useless Ditto in a battle.

there should be Pokemon country fairs, where you can bring in your oversized cabbage pokemon and get it a ribbon :kimchi:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Scholtz posted:

It's also worth noting that Pokemon B2W2 have a challenge mode, when you get to them.

The way to unlock it is kinda asinine (you have to have someone who's unlocked it transfer the key to your game because starting a new game deletes your key) but if you're emulating I'm sure there are save files with it already unlocked

Based on how they implemented it Hard Mode and Easy Mode are essentially the opposite of what they say in B2/W2. To the point speedrunning Hard mode is significantly faster and easier than doing so in Normal mode and Easy makes the game significantly more difficult.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Challenge Mode seems pretty cool as a pseudo NG+ thing since every important trainer iirc has some kind of change up with either an extra mon or better/any held items and probably worthwhile to play just for that, but also it’s implementation is kinda hosed on multiple levels because:

- there’s dynamic EXP yield so it’s not like you’re gonna be fiending for levels anyway since the formula for EXP gain wasn’t tweaked
- I think a more subtle, insidious difference that was iirc only noticed by a Nuzlocker Poketuber living something that should have absolutely wiped him is that enemies are higher leveled but the only change to their stats is higher EV/IVs because those scale off level directly

Like I said though, it’s cool that they even bothered at all given all the other tweaks like the largely new story, new/alternate areas, and expanded dex. Definitely the kind of thing that should have been refined and carried over to future games.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

there should be Pokemon country fairs, where you can bring in your oversized cabbage pokemon and get it a ribbon :kimchi:

I wish there were more Things To Do with Pokémon who will never be competitive battlers; Pokémon contests are a great example of this (and the closest existing thing to your suggestion here!) but I really miss Pokéathlon from HGSS and PokéStar Studios from B2W2–being a movie star is a nice consolation prize!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I wish there were more Things To Do with Pokémon who will never be competitive battlers; Pokémon contests are a great example of this (and the closest existing thing to your suggestion here!) but I really miss Pokéathlon from HGSS and PokéStar Studios from B2W2–being a movie star is a nice consolation prize!

Yeah absolutely. It's funny that they introduced three different paths in this game, but all of them just boiled down to different flavors of battle.

One thing that I've always wanted was for Natures to influence something other than battle stats. Like, it'd be amazing if that affected their overworld / picnic behavior or something, or modified their performance in contests or whatever. (If those things were in the game!)

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Chamale posted:

Also, I caught a full odds Shiny. One that knows self-destruct, but I caught her with a Quick Ball on the first try.

Extremely loving blessed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Pokéathlon is a big part of why HGSS remains my favourite game of the series.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Muscle Tracer posted:

Pokemon Stardew Valley is such a slam-dunk perfect concept that it's kind of shocking we haven't gotten an official attempt at it, only stuff like Moonstone Island.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Area Zero music is incredible.

Grats on the shiny Geodude goon! I have one in PLA who's a Golem now and I love them so much. Adorable giant ball of nonsense. They're an alpha though so may possibly never leave PLA because I love the giantsize. Also I don't recall if they're a boy or a girl and I feel badly.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Kestral posted:

Pokemon Stardew Valley is such a slam-dunk perfect concept that it's kind of shocking we haven't gotten an official attempt at it, only stuff like Moonstone Island.

There was an indie take on this concept a while back called Ooblets, that seemed very cute. Might scratch that itch!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Pokémon x Stardew and Pokémon x Animal Crossing are such perfect formulas idk why they haven't been tried. the latter wouldn't even need a bunch of rights wrangling

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Mystery Dungeon is a little like if you had to spend all day every day delving into the Stardew mines, but you still come home to a little pastoral village where you live with quirky characters and your (platonic) partner

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I would love for contests to come back. 3rd gen contests were the best because you could actually employ strategy to win and otherwise useless moves excelled in contests. I think there's a lot more you can do with contests.

I too would love a Pokemon x Animal Crossing. Just Animal Crossing, but with Pokemon and human(gym leaders) instead of animal villagers. Give me a cute house to decorate and chill in and a garden to grow berries.

I also still think my Gym Leader game is a million dollar idea. Otherwise normal seeming Pokemon game where the goal is to become a gym leader. Fix up and design a busted old gym, recruit trainers that you meet along the way, and come up with your own gym badge and theme. And online play like Mario Maker where you can battle other people's gyms and win their badges. Throw in various quests like Legends to grow as a community leader, and a lovely house to live in like Animal Crossing. It's the perfect Pokemon game (for me).

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wait, Salt Cure doesn't OHKO Wo-Chien? What kind of oversight is this??

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

indigi posted:

Pokémon x Stardew and Pokémon x Animal Crossing are such perfect formulas idk why they haven't been tried. the latter wouldn't even need a bunch of rights wrangling

You can make PokeStardew happen if you really want.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Story of Seasons!Pokemon is theoretically possible. Marvelous made a Doraemon SoS a few years back so they’ve been contracted by people with kid’s properties to make spin-offs.

(For the non-farming sim heads: Story of Seasons is what used to be called Harvest Moon and is and has always been developed by Marvelous. When Marvelous decided to switch to localizing in house with XSeed, Natsume, who had been doing the localizations, kept the trademark for the name Harvest Moon. This lead to XSeed publishing the series that used to be Harvest Moon under the name Story of Seasons while Natsume pumps out awful Harvest Moons because they have the nostalgic name. Stardew Valley is very heavily influenced by HM64/Back to Nature/Friends of Mineral Town.)

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Bug-Tera Samurott is up and it appears to be a fully physical one:

Aqua Cutter
Megahorn
Night Slash
Drill Run

It also uses Focus Energy, Swords Dance and Bulldoze at points.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

And it has a ridiculous crit rate with Megahorn, drat.

Edit: Juuuust managed to solo it with Azumarill, though.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 31, 2023

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

And it has a ridiculous crit rate with Megahorn, drat.

Edit: Juuuust managed to solo it with Azumarill, though.

Mulled this catch over but I actually quite like the one I caught in legends so I'll be sitting this one out. Good luck to the rest of y'all tho.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

For tera Drakloak the little dreepy wears the hat :3:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

For Tera Mimikyu the hat flops around with their "head" :kimchi:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I bred up a Water Paldean Tauros for this fight since it has Anger Point as one of its abilities (which instantly maxes its attack upon being hit with a critical hit).

I'm actually not sure how effective it was since there were other competent randos in the raid as well.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean Water/Fighting resists all of Samurott's moves other than Drill Run, so you could certainly do a lot worse.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm thinking a support Pelipper might be good for this one. Mist, stockpile, chilling water, and maybe roost? And not drizzle specifically because I think people are gonna use fire type attacks a lot. Is there anything that seems dumb about this?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Annihilape with screech and rage fist absolutely trounces this raid solo. HP, Attack, shell bell.

I screeched once, rage fisted to heal, then screeched again and spammed rage fist until he died. I died twice when he was shielded but still finished with like half the time left.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Deeters posted:

I'm thinking a support Pelipper might be good for this one. Mist, stockpile, chilling water, and maybe roost? And not drizzle specifically because I think people are gonna use fire type attacks a lot. Is there anything that seems dumb about this?

Flying feels like the safer attack option since Fire types can be hit super effectively and Drizzle can get perfect accuracy checks with Hurricane.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mr Newsman posted:

Annihilape with screech and rage fist absolutely trounces this raid solo. HP, Attack, shell bell.

I screeched once, rage fisted to heal, then screeched again and spammed rage fist until he died. I died twice when he was shielded but still finished with like half the time left.

This seems like a good tip, thanks!

Joined a six star hydreigon and he got his taunt off before I did, rendering my poor maushold useless. Stupid headhands dragon.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Just solo'd the Samurott raid with Koraidon in Scarlet. Turns out it doesn't learn Fire Punch which would have helped, but Fire Fang (and being paired up with Tauros and Staraptor as AI partners) worked.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Flying feels like the safer attack option since Fire types can be hit super effectively and Drizzle can get perfect accuracy checks with Hurricane.

Thanks, I didn't know about the drizzle/hurricane combo. Hopefully other people will know if I deploy it

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I was thinking of trying Cloyster but since it can just take away Shell Armor it's kinda pointless

It doesn't use Aqua Cutter often enough for Gastrodon or Clodsire to have seen any benefit, it's always fricken crit Megahorn.

I need an Annihilape anyway

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Treecko posted:

I was thinking of trying Cloyster but since it can just take away Shell Armor it's kinda pointless

The main reason to use Cloyster in the first place is Skill Link to guarantee 5 hits from Rock Blast.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Treecko posted:

It doesn't use Aqua Cutter often enough for Gastrodon or Clodsire to have seen any benefit, it's always fricken crit Megahorn.

I need an Annihilape anyway

It only nullifies abilities for one turn so it isn’t that bad of a downside

Has anyone had any success with the fire Taurus strategy yet? I have a shiny one I had ev trained already so tempted to try using that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Desperate Character posted:

It only nullifies abilities for one turn so it isn’t that bad of a downside

Has anyone had any success with the fire Taurus strategy yet? I have a shiny one I had ev trained already so tempted to try using that

I successfully solo'd using the fire Tauros strat and then did 3 public raids and won 2 lost 1.

The loss was because another person brought Zoroark lol

But yes, Anger Point fire Tauros is a v good strategy

252 atk/252 def shell bell using Raging Bull and Tail Whip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE-xcrfeIdM

You WILL faint at least 3 times, but the damage you do makes up for it because of the recovery

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 31, 2023