Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

pseudanonymous posted:

One thing about the incubate tokens transforming is they are not creatures, you could stack some up, wrath then transform them.

It’d be a lot if mana though.

I wonder if there's gonna be something that reduces/eliminates the cost of transforming them in the set. Kinda like cards that reduce cycling costs/that cycling commander that lets you cycle for free once a turn from that precon that people only bought for Fierce Guardianship and Brallin/Shabraz lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

They just did the Magic stream. The UW Battle flips into a Teferi that has Knight support. The Ikoria Battle turns into an 8/8 Dinosaur with Reach that gives you the ability to have your non-Humans deal combat damage as if they weren't blocked. Borborygmos and Fblthp RUG pair that's really lovely. Quintorius gets a creature card (even though his spark ignites in the story). {X}{U}{U}{U}{U} Instant with Convoke that draws x cards. And the UB sword (Survei 2 and then you may cast an Instant or Sorcery from your graveyard with CMC 2 or less for free).

E:

Etali is a 7cmc that makes all players exile cards from the top of their library until they hit a non-land card and you may play those cards without paying their mana cost. It flips for {9}{Phyrexian Green} into a trampling, indestructible 11/11 that gives poison counters equal to the combat damage it deals (infect without the -1/-1 to creatures).

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 29, 2023

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

I wonder if there's gonna be something that reduces/eliminates the cost of transforming them in the set. Kinda like cards that reduce cycling costs/that cycling commander that lets you cycle for free once a turn from that precon that people only bought for Fierce Guardianship and Brallin/Shabraz lol

oh hey that was quick, look at the saga's first ability

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

oh hey that was quick, look at the saga's first ability

There's also Glissa

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://mythicspoiler.com/

Page has been updated.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Do Toshiro Umezawa decks do anything other than Removal Tribal until they can cast a big Exsanguinate or Chain of Smog combo? The way it had been described to me sounded neat but I'm not seeing what you actually *do*.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
One thing I'm concerned about: with the return of Planechase in the precons, does this mean that EDH is suddenly going to be a Planechase format from now on? Because I'm not really fond of that idea for the same reason I don't like chaos decks.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

One thing I'm concerned about : with the return of Planechase in the precons, does this mean that EDH is suddenly going to be a Planechase format from now on? Because I'm not really fond of that idea for the same reason I don't like chaos decks.

I haven't watched this yet, but let's see what Gavin has to say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBvvO77XSiI

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I mean your pod could certainly play with them if you all agree but they've said it's support for Planechase format. The Commander decks are probably the easiest way to get then out without printing another round of Planechase decks that'll undersell.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Planechase commander is a well known variant, this is just support for it that it desperately needed

Wotc needs to reprint the entire set of the original plane cards, though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm interested to give Planechase a shot. Just don't know if I know enough others who'd build one to bother with myself. None of the deck leaders off the bat interest me, but probably lots of good stuff for when or if I do get to making a Planechase deck.

I am also interested in a swords of deck with the whole suite, but I feel like I already have too many artifacty decks as is.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I mean your pod could certainly play with them if you all agree but they've said it's support for Planechase format. The Commander decks are probably the easiest way to get then out without printing another round of Planechase decks that'll undersell.

If it's just support for Planechase, that's fine. I've got nothing against Planechase as a format, I just don't want every commander game I sit down to play from here on out to revolve around it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I want to play a game of magic that's a bunch of variants mashed together

EDH, except it's 12 players in 4 3-player Emperor teams, with Conspiracy and Contraption decks, plus Planechase planes in the connected map variant except when you get to Ixalan, you switch to Explorers of Ixalan until planeswalking away

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Planeswalking into another pod is a wild idea, maybe in a digital version where you don't need to physically move tables and boards.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Planechase was pretty fuckin wild the few times I've played it

One plane was just Doubling Season: the plane, lol

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Planechase rules needs all players to bring 10 card planechase decks alongside their regular deck - this isn't how most people play it, who just have all the planes in a big pile in the middle/loaded on a tablet or phone. Know the rules, be less likely to be forced into it because people should feel more awkward if they realise that it's not just a fun "random" thing one player brings.

The regular way of doing it is a more drawn out Momir Vig. I've had fun playing it, but only in a bar where everyone brought their draft decks from earlier in the evening.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 30, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Planechase is a blast and you should give it a go if you haven't played it before. Better in large groups. There's only one or two Planes that severely gently caress with the game, most of the effects are beign, but fun to work around.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That was my impression of them. Just a fun little random element to spice up a game. Maybe less novel when everyone builds around it but I mean I'd welcome some kind of random emblem like Arena does sometimes for midweek madness stuff thrown into whatever format now and then, why not

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Do Toshiro Umezawa decks do anything other than Removal Tribal until they can cast a big Exsanguinate or Chain of Smog combo? The way it had been described to me sounded neat but I'm not seeing what you actually *do*.

Not really. It's a fun deck to play, slinging around kill spells and whatever, but that's pretty much the whole deal. I usually have a fun time playing it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The most fun part of Toshiro imo is playing extremely weird black spells that have no real place anywhere else. Sudden Spoiling and Imp's Mischief are ftw

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 30, 2023

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

The most fun part of Toshiro imo is playing extremely weird black spells that have no real place anywhere else. Sudden Spoiling and Imp's Mischief are ftw

Take that back, Sudden Spoiling should be in every black deck.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

It's easy to give planechase a shot, if someone has an Android device: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roberto.planechase&gl=us

Though I wonder how long the app will last, if WotC is going to try and monetize everything under the sun?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Imp's Mischief is awfully expensive for a spell that has "No real place anywhere else".

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

this is why i have a magar deck in progress :kiddo:

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Mix. posted:

this is why i have a magar deck in progress :kiddo:

Magar is so much fun. Mine isn't an optimal combo focused build but getting the swing off with Blood for the Blood God or In Garruc's Wake feels great.

Mesmiric Orb feels really fun in it but one player in my pod loses it at any milling and focuses me if I play it. I still play it and just ignore the needless salt.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Imp's Mischief is awfully expensive for a spell that has "No real place anywhere else".

It had a single printing in a fairly old set and is a completely unique effect for its color, it's just an effect that doesn't really have a place in any format right now. Blue and red both get redirects without the drawback and sometimes with upside and even those rarely ever see play.

A mono black commander deck is the perfect place to play Imps Mischief especially when people are not expecting it.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

LeisureSuit Canary posted:

Mesmiric Orb feels really fun in it but one player in my pod loses it at any milling and focuses me if I play it. I still play it and just ignore the needless salt.

lol at this level of scrubbery on the part of your opponent. If you're not using your graveyard as a resource in singelton you're loving up. Mesmeric Orb is a grouphug.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd also rather be milled to death than actually be in a game where I actually draw enough of my deck to need 92 other cards

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

lol at this level of scrubbery on the part of your opponent. If you're not using your graveyard as a resource in singelton you're loving up. Mesmeric Orb is a grouphug.

He just can't make peace with seeing a card he likes and missing it. I've had the same thing with Ragavan exiling land while he needs them.

I just ignore it and understand I'm essentially playing with Sheldon at my table.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

I'd also rather be milled to death than actually be in a game where I actually draw enough of my deck to need 92 other cards

Draw more cards!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

http://mythicspoiler.com/mom/index.html

More spoilers. Ayara is up. Reddit has Sheoldred and Vorinclex.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That Sheoldred is kind of hosed up. Yeah, it takes four turns, but for 9 mana, you get a buttload of value.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
At least you have a timer to blow it up, all creatures to battlefield from graveyard is a really fun effect whenever you get one off.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I really need one of these team up cards to be Avacyn or Gisela riding Zetalpa, mono white please so I can use it on my angel aggro Giada deck.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Simone Poodoin posted:

I really need one of these team up cards to be Avacyn or Gisela riding Zetalpa, mono white please so I can use it on my angel aggro Giada deck.

Well two out of the three there are HELLA dead.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Poor poor Not-Nahiri, would rather just not exist because Sorin is a terrible bad person trying to work out his issues by making a not clone of Nahiri. :smith:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Check out my 4th BYO Precon “Noble Nightmare”, a $45 B&W tokens/aristocrat deck:

https://youtu.be/dsRSwBC4WKE

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Not pointed at you specifically, but this trend of calling budget decks 'precons' is very stupid. If you sign a deal with Card Kingdom and they sell your $45 deck for a fixed $20, sure, call it a precon.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Who is selling any precons anywhere for $20?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
you understand my point ostensibly the precons are providing your more value than you are paying for, at a fixed rate

these are just budget decks