Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I’m at the battlebots arena right now for my son’s 9th birthday. I got rooms at the Horseshoe because it was super close on the map, we can even see the arena out the window of one of the rooms. My wife (who stayed at hotel) said she could hear it with the window open a crack.

Some pics and stuff -> https://imgur.com/gallery/Zm4cIZw

Show was at noon but we got there early (he couldn’t wait) and we’re the first ones in line at like, 10:30.
Everything was fun, he loved it, not a lot of down time in between fights, and the announcer let the kids there use the microphone to say “it’s robot fighting time”. Spent wayyy too much on merch, pics with Bunny who told us this was her last day, not sure what she meant by that. All and all really fun.

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Bunny who told us this was her last day, not sure what she meant by that.

Someone posted behind-the-scenes youtube that said the real builders stuck around for about a week after delivering the robots to make sure the Battlebots team had everything they needed to keep the show running without them. Maybe you caught her at the end of that.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Was either in a YouTube video (probably the Skorpios one) or maybe Ricky Williams mentioned it during the NHRL stream. Teams are occasionally travelling to the show and being present, but mostly they have jobs and careers outside of Battlebots. Possible they are trying to have a team at the show every week.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They've been posting some bonus fights on Youtube again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OormBeHfOhs

Monsoon gets dunked

e: I'm tired and this aired anyway lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 24, 2023

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Oh hey the break means I'm caught up with the season now. Cool.

So anyway "Sauriol" was absolutely not how I thought Bunny's surname was spelled

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
just found that season 3 is on netflix here so that's fun. the spinner meta isn't as fun though

edit: okay nevermind. duck v free shipping v mecha rampage was a great fight

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 27, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ilmucche posted:

just found that season 3 is on netflix here so that's fun. the spinner meta isn't as fun though

edit: okay nevermind. duck v free shipping v mecha rampage was a great fight

I'm really glad Tombstone won a tournament when he had the chance because I just cannot see it happening again lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Borsche69 posted:

I'm really glad Tombstone won a tournament when he had the chance because I just cannot see it happening again lol

please tell me that isn't a spoiler for a tournament that I'm pretty sure is years old!

pretty big fan of battle royale with cheese v tantrum. two teams out there to have some fun together with bots that I don't think will go very far at all

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Borsche69 posted:

lol dude come on now he just said he was watching it on Netflix

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

lol dude come on now he just said he was watching it on Netflix

oh pff my wording could've been better. i saw him say he's watching season 3. so i assumed he saw season 2 (which, along with 1, was back on ABC instead of discovery), which is a season tombstone won lol.

i'm just now realizing the ABC seasons probably have some weird licensing so they probably aren't on netflix (i'm pretty sure they're not on discovery+), although iirc every fight from those seasons are on youtube.

anyway all this is to say, no, this isn't spoiling season 3. just season 2, which i apologize for

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Borsche69 posted:

oh pff my wording could've been better. i saw him say he's watching season 3. so i assumed he saw season 2 (which, along with 1, was back on ABC instead of discovery), which is a season tombstone won lol.

i'm just now realizing the ABC seasons probably have some weird licensing so they probably aren't on netflix (i'm pretty sure they're not on discovery+), although iirc every fight from those seasons are on youtube.

anyway all this is to say, no, this isn't spoiling season 3. just season 2, which i apologize for

I saw a bit of season 1 and 2, but I don't know where I can find new episodes and stuff anymore. binging through episode 8/9 now. they go a lot quicker when cutting out nearly all of the talking. Nice that there are 5 fights per episode now

witch doctor v blacksmith was a wild fight

the hamburger team looked like they wanted to have fun. shame their weapon never got working.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ilmucche posted:

I saw a bit of season 1 and 2, but I don't know where I can find new episodes and stuff anymore. binging through episode 8/9 now. they go a lot quicker when cutting out nearly all of the talking. Nice that there are 5 fights per episode now

witch doctor v blacksmith was a wild fight

the hamburger team looked like they wanted to have fun. shame their weapon never got working.

Discovery Plus has seasons 3-8. Season 1 & 2 aired on ABC, and I'm not sure where they are available to stream. As a bonus to discovery plus, they put the new episodes up early Thursday morning, before the show actually airs on Discovery.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Random tangentially related question/shower thought.

I've heard in the past that when teams are getting ready for a fight they'll watch old fights that their opponent have had. Now if that footage isn't easily available legally, how are they doing that? Are all the teams having to pirate the show so they can have easy and quick access to fight footage? Do they share footage between teams of fights that they've recorded themselves?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Some team is out there like Greg Maddux, just accumulating an enormous dossier of research on all of their opponents.

(Maddux was a baseball player who wrote down every single at-bat he pitched against every hitter he ever faced. He kept it in a huge binder that he shared with the pitchers on his team)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Random tangentially related question/shower thought.

I've heard in the past that when teams are getting ready for a fight they'll watch old fights that their opponent have had. Now if that footage isn't easily available legally, how are they doing that? Are all the teams having to pirate the show so they can have easy and quick access to fight footage? Do they share footage between teams of fights that they've recorded themselves?

The battlebots YouTube channel has a lot of fights uploaded to it. But everything from season 3 to the current is available to stream! Can't imagine watching the first 2 seasons of the reboot would be beneficial to watch.

Prior to this past season, teams were not allowed to do any filming while the show was filming. And pretty sure they were still not allowed to do any filming of the actual fights at Battlebots.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Discovery Plus has seasons 3-8. Season 1 & 2 aired on ABC, and I'm not sure where they are available to stream. As a bonus to discovery plus, they put the new episodes up early Thursday morning, before the show actually airs on Discovery.

looks like discovery plus doesn't have it here :(

I'll find other ways to watch it I guess

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ilmucche posted:

looks like discovery plus doesn't have it here :(

I'll find other ways to watch it I guess

Turns out they are still on youtube

Season 1
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDe0CguuqcMD6Ee3rQfJBkUCKzilzx1lF

Season 2
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDe0CguuqcMA-fu_fwgE1vIFA0IA2PsTP

The playlist does not have the fights in order so I don't really have a recommended way of watching it without spoiling all the fights for yourself, but there's still some interesting stuff that pre-dates the current meta.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

cool. worth having a look.

duck got robbed having to go into the 6-way to make the tournament

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The March Madness break is over. Time for some more destruction! Maybe Cobalt can go ahead and retire Overhaul. Same with Jackpot and Capt. Shred.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The March Madness break is over. Time for some more destruction! Maybe Cobalt can go ahead and retire Overhaul. Same with Jackpot and Capt. Shred.

Not a lot of good matchups in this one. I think Gigabyte-Starchild is the only one I am not super certain about the winner already.

Maybe we'll get some crazy upsets

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I dunno, I can only see three of them being a sure thing. The others could go either way.

Fwiw it's fun to see nail biter matches and also fun to see a robot get totally wrecked, so I'm cool with ones that aren't much of a contest, anyhow.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think it'll be

Black Dragon
Cobalt
Ominous
Glitch
Bizarre fight that goes to the judges who are put in unenviable position
Jackpot
Rotator

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Calling it now, Rotator is going to appeal after they lose the judge's decision.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

ilmucche posted:

cool. worth having a look.

duck got robbed having to go into the 6-way to make the tournament

I hear the guy behind Duck is a well regarded longstanding member of the robot combat community, so love and kisses, but I'm really glad Duck retired. It's just a chunk of billet with wheels that expects the other 'bot to kill itself or lose to the arena floor. If every robot were like Duck, we'd have battle-bumper-bots and the sport would die.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Black Dragon-Beta: With the show being pre-taped, it's hard not to constantly think they're saying some things for dramatic narrative reasons. Them talking nonstop about Black Dragon chasing Bite Force's no-knockouts record would be totally normal for a sports broadcast, but I can't help but think every time they do it that this is going to be the episode they get knocked out because they're making such a big deal out of it.

It's interesting to see Beta naked. I didn't know they had that configuration option.

Cobalt-Overhaul: It would have been very funny if Ovarhaul had just left Cobalt stuck on the box. I doubt Charles Yuan would do that, but also it probably wouldn't help him much for the playoff push anyway.

Cobalt looked pretty hobbled out there.

Switchback-Ominous: :lol: Switchback stole that one

Triton-Glitch: That was some impressive driving from Triton to close it out!

I don't know if the logic is there that Triton HAD to engage Glitch or they'd be counted out. Like, Glitch isn't engaging Triton either, so that's a double countout at worst, right? Then you go to the judges and you're way up on damage and Glitch can't really be said to have had more control than you.

Gigabyte-Starchild: oooo that attachment was such a great call by Gigabyte. They got to those wheels real good.

Shred-Jackpot: Not much surprising about this one, but entertaining nonetheless

Rotator-Bloodsport: Oh man, Rotator still does not look itself. That thing used to be an unstoppable brick. I thought that plow would have shut down Bloodsport so fast. Great fight.

Overall, good episode! Much much better than I'd feared

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Beta vs Black dragon
A hammer bot is effectively a control bot that can poke at exposed chains and things. betas decision to remove it's own ability to maintain control and use it's lighter weapon is just :psyduck:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Great Beer posted:

Beta vs Black dragon
A hammer bot is effectively a control bot that can poke at exposed chains and things. betas decision to remove it's own ability to maintain control and use it's lighter weapon is just :psyduck:

It was kind of the right decision. The thin hammer likely has more of a chance against an egg beater spinner than the big hammer. A good hit and they could jam up the egg beater or possibly a perfect hit could get in the side of the egg beater and hit the shaft. But they pretty much said in the prefight interview they didn't want the big hammer to get hosed up before the tournament.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Black Dragon-Beta: With the show being pre-taped, it's hard not to constantly think they're saying some things for dramatic narrative reasons. Them talking nonstop about Black Dragon chasing Bite Force's no-knockouts record would be totally normal for a sports broadcast, but I can't help but think every time they do it that this is going to be the episode they get knocked out because they're making such a big deal out of it.

Black Dragon / Beta spoiler chat. I'm not sure that it is. They obviously dub some stuff into the commentary during the show. But this season a majority of the action & commentary seems pretty close to real time. There's not many opportunities for teams to break records in Battlebots. Especially not in comparison to Biteforce domination of the field. The commentary would feel in place no matter if Black Dragon gets knocked out before matching or beating the Biteforce record. Although if a bot would knock out Black Dragon it probably would be Riptide. But that fight is probably going to come down to who comes out of the weapon on weapon hit alive.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol Switchback and Triton

Whatever works though!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Black Dragon / Beta spoiler chat. I'm not sure that it is. They obviously dub some stuff into the commentary during the show. But this season a majority of the action & commentary seems pretty close to real time. There's not many opportunities for teams to break records in Battlebots. Especially not in comparison to Biteforce domination of the field. The commentary would feel in place no matter if Black Dragon gets knocked out before matching or beating the Biteforce record. Although if a bot would knock out Black Dragon it probably would be Riptide. But that fight is probably going to come down to who comes out of the weapon on weapon hit alive.

Yeah, I agree there. It's totally normal in the context of a sporting event but I can't ever shut down that little voice in the back of my head when they start talking about that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

John Reid really loves the skirt armor design even when it doesn't work

See last year

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

John Reid really loves the skirt armor design even when it doesn't work

See last year

i legit don't know what the gently caress they're talking about when they mean there's no 'edge' for the drum to catch. like i get that a wedge will get bent upwards taking a similar hit, but a square edge like beta was using is awesome for a vert to hit and launch

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It's basically the best possible shape to hit with a vert. Without forks/a wedge or some way to counter one you're hosed, regardless of armor profile.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

It's just further evidence that team Beta doesn't understand basic physics (see: using a hammerbot in the first place).

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I'll never understand Beta, its a great hammer-bot, but hammer-bots are never going to win BattleBots. Even more so when you do weird things like swap your hammer for whatever the hell that was and then put on wibbly-wobbly armour that doesn't cover the whole bot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

3rd & 4th fights are a weird spot for Battlebots and why they just let teams into the tournament last year after winning 2 fights. Teams that started 2-0 really have no incentive to run their last 2 fights with a strategy to win the fight. So there's no reason for a team to run their best parts in a fight. 50 bots competing for a 32 spot tournament, 2 wins and you're probably going to get in.

I do think the small hammer had the best chance of getting a lucky hit on Black Dragon, as it could actually get into the Egg beater and jam it up. But I think it's more obvious they just didn't want to destroy 1 of their big hammers in a fight that they don't need to win to get in the tournament.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 31, 2023

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
The leadup to Cobalt v Overhaul was hilarious:

Kenny Florian: "Cobalt's Kryptonite is the box floor, so Overhaul has a chance for an upset here if they can get under Cobalt and tip them over."

~Two minutes later~

Charles Guan: "So we have these long forks with stoppers to keep Cobalt off them and at a distance."

:psyduck:

Like, I understand wanting to keep Cobalt at range, to control the fight and to stay alive. But holy poo poo I will never understand these control bots without what they call in MTG a "win condition." So Charles' plan was to keep Cobalt at arm's length for three straight minutes? And win on points with no points for damage? Really? Not even trying to have a knockout strategy is such a farce. This is why I love the resurgence of control bots in the form of Claw Viper and Quantum: they have win conditions and they're fighting to win and not just survive.

There were a ton of moments in that fight where Overhaul had open shots at Cobalt's flanks and backside. If they weren't running those stopper forks, they could have easily flipped Cobalt. I just.... I can't even... how do you plan to win... :psypop:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Railing Kill posted:

There were a ton of moments in that fight where Overhaul had open shots at Cobalt's flanks and backside. If they weren't running those stopper forks, they could have easily flipped Cobalt. I just.... I can't even... how do you plan to win... :psypop:

The "stopper" fork were still part of Overhaul's lifter. That was still part of their plan to flip Cobalt. Their lifter worked a couple times to self right, but not sure it was really working properly for most of the fight. But really Overhaul is just not a fast enough bot to take on a deadly vertical spinner.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It also looked like overhauls lifter scraped the floor along the entire flat part on the bottom instead of just the tip. Which meant that as soon as it took even the slightest bit of force they bent upwards about half a degree and could no longer get under cobalt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

3rd & 4th fights are a weird spot for Battlebots and why they just let teams into the tournament last year after winning 2 fights. Teams that started 2-0 really have no incentive to run their last 2 fights with a strategy to win the fight. So there's no reason for a team to run their best parts in a fight. 50 bots competing for a 32 spot tournament, 2 wins and you're probably going to get in.

Yeah, and there's not really much in the way of incentive to fight for higher seeding, since the 'seeding' is pretty arbitrary and it's not like teams ranked 17 and lower are necessarily 'bad' teams, and even moreso you can get awkward matchups that could put the higher seed at a disadvantage anyway (thinking of HUGE vs a vert or flipper).