Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

ThinkTank posted:

I am just generally excited for big hit playoff hysteria. Mr. Trouba, it is your solemn duty to keep us steeped in takes for the next twelve months.

going to be legit disappointed if he doesn't catch someone with their head down trying to cut across the blue line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

most fans probably want to see big hits and fights though

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

I'm still blindingly irate over this and Tkachuk is one of the few players (Tony, Wilson) I'll break my "don't root for injuries" rule for.

As background, Dumba crushes Backlund late in a December game. Lomberg jumps him from the bench and Dumba fights him. DoPS explictly affirms the legality of the hit in the Lomberg suspension video.

Next game features Tkachuk slashing and crosschecking Dumba practically from puck drop, and Dumba tearing his pec. Next shift after the penalties, Tkachuk tries again (because Hockey Code is apparently three fights for a clean hit?) and Suter steps in for the injured Dumba.

Dumba's never been the same since.

If I remember right at Tkachuk didn’t even get a misconduct for the second fight (as it’s attempting a continuation of a previous fight)? I just remember being very cranky for the remainder of that game. Just really poor sports in Calgary that year.

It would be really easy to tighten this sort of crap out of the game, but refs need to be told to call this stuff. It very much impacts play, is an injury potential situation, and disrupts the flow. All they’d need to do is what ThinkTank suggests and stop evening it up. I’m not saying every scrum needs penalties. That would take too much emotion out of it. The ones after clean plays though need it because the incentive right now is for clean plays to not happen.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

JawKnee posted:

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1641209987681886208?t=vj27cNEf63RxEZkzAjrqbw&s=19

Looks like the Canucks are going to be wearing pride themed warmup jerseys

I'm curious if our several Russian players will be wearing the warmup jersey (I hope Kuz does)

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Bunting’s fun because if you look at his counting stats you’d be like “yeah that guy’s probably a useful scoring option” but there isn’t a single Leafs fan that thinks he deserves to be paid, dude is getting absolutely no benefit of the doubt about how he puts up his numbers and is widely acknowledged as a fortunate passenger in an NHL top 6.

He's still going to be paid because some dumb GM is going to think "that's what everyone though about Hyman and that turned out pretty good" even though Hyman is a lot better than Bunting and he made his way to the only situation where he could upgrade his linemates.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I would like for the Pittsburgh Penguins hockey club to win a game tonight
It would be cool as hell op

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Chytil has a beautiful smile. :unsmith:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

most fans probably want to see big hits and fights though

I love big hits. I want to see more of them where the huge guy blows up some dude dipsy dangling dork at centre ice and just sorta stands over them for a second. It's cool as hell.

A hit rarely swings a play in the opposition direction anymore because they invariably result in a stoppage, so it's really just an intimidation thing now.

I, like everyone else, do not want to see the modern reaction of four dudes immediately rushing to the defence of the poor innocent dangler who had his honour infringed by the big meanie. Right now it feels like guys hesitate to make open iced hits unless it's impossible to avoid and even then they'll throw out their arms and kinda steer a guy away from them. I get that part of the reluctance is avoiding headshots, but I think a lot of guys don't want to deal with the hassle of fighting some guy right after and having everyone get mad for a while.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I prefer less brain damage personally.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Madkal posted:

I'm curious if our several Russian players will be wearing the warmup jersey (I hope Kuz does)

Nobody has said that they won't.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

I love big hits. I want to see more of them where the huge guy blows up some dude dipsy dangling dork at centre ice and just sorta stands over them for a second. It's cool as hell.

A hit rarely swings a play in the opposition direction anymore because they invariably result in a stoppage, so it's really just an intimidation thing now.

I, like everyone else, do not want to see the modern reaction of four dudes immediately rushing to the defence of the poor innocent dangler who had his honour infringed by the big meanie. Right now it feels like guys hesitate to make open iced hits unless it's impossible to avoid and even then they'll throw out their arms and kinda steer a guy away from them. I get that part of the reluctance is avoiding headshots, but I think a lot of guys don't want to deal with the hassle of fighting some guy right after and having everyone get mad for a while.

this was dope though. Trouba taking out 2/3rds of the avs top line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85M7DEIfEgg

(just don't look at the score)

rex rabidorum vires posted:

no one is forcing you to watch the Pens

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

He's still going to be paid because some dumb GM is going to think "that's what everyone though about Hyman and that turned out pretty good" even though Hyman is a lot better than Bunting and he made his way to the only situation where he could upgrade his linemates.

The critical difference of course being that Hyman took big steps forward in each of his first three years in the league while Bunting has taken a step back in year 2. I don't think anybody thought Hyman was a passenger in his last year with the Leafs as much as a guy they couldn't afford to spend $5.5M on who kept getting hurt every year (and has been annoyingly healthy as an Oiler), Bunting's entire value comes from the fact that he only makes $950K and I do earnestly believe the Leafs could find another guy to do what he does at that cost instead of paying him. This is very much a "don't pay the Bryan Bickells of the world" moment for the team.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

We all would, your posts would be a lot better that way

kidding kidding, all in good fun, you put that one up on a tee and I couldn't resist :haw:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Madkal posted:

podkolzin is injured and kravtsov will probably be healthy scratched if there's any suspicion he won't participate. he'll probably be healthy scratched even if he's enthusiastic about participating honestly, he's been awful since vancouver acquired him. kuzmenko i would bet wears the jersey since he's more or less a golden retriever. miller and garland are both ultra-chuds tho so they could "opt out"

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

We all would, your posts would be a lot better that way

kidding kidding, all in good fun, you put that one up on a tee and I couldn't resist :haw:

As an Arsenal fan I....oh

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

the talent deficit posted:

podkolzin is injured and kravtsov will probably be healthy scratched if there's any suspicion he won't participate. he'll probably be healthy scratched even if he's enthusiastic about participating honestly, he's been awful since vancouver acquired him. kuzmenko i would bet wears the jersey since he's more or less a golden retriever. miller and garland are both ultra-chuds tho so they could "opt out"

I'm not sure Kravtsov really "gets" the NHL, which is a shame because he should be talented enough to be useful

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Levitate posted:

I'm not sure Kravtsov really "gets" the NHL, which is a shame because he should be talented enough to be useful

i read somewhere his father is some oligarch and under sanctions or somethiing? his lack of work ethic and entitlement issues definitely make sense if that is the case

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Like 75% of the NHL are rich kids (even if not oligarch rich)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Like 75% of the NHL are rich kids (even if not oligarch rich)

Don't even talk to me if your father hasn't had his multi-billion dollar pleasure yacht seized by the US government because he happened to have an intimate business relationship with a warmongering autocrat.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Habibi posted:

Don't even talk to me if your father hasn't had his multi-billion dollar pleasure yacht seized by the US government because he happened to have an intimate business relationship with a warmongering autocrat.

Lol. Lmao. Yeah none of those in the US. Now let me take a big sip of ice water....

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Bezos had a kid in the NHL I feel like we’d have heard about it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

He seems completely uninterested in the fact that this is likely his final chance to stick in the NHL. I have never seen him try even once. It's pretty clear he's just waiting to get to go home in the summer.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

He seems completely uninterested in the fact that this is likely his final chance to stick in the NHL. I have never seen him try even once. It's pretty clear he's just waiting to get to go home in the summer.

Like I said I think he just really doesn't get the pace of the NHL or how it's played. His first stretch this year he seemed like he tried to play what he thought was a more NA style game and got hosed up several times along the boards because he didn't know how to protect himself. Then yeah he dialed it back to more "float and look for space" but he can't really play that game like he does at the KHL level

So I dunno. You see a guy like Kakko in his first NHL season where he seemed overwhelmed by the pace and physicality of the game. Then he went and he worked hard on his strength and when he came back he played a far more aggressive game and upped his pace to match that of the NHL. While it hasn't resulted in a huge offensive breakout he is an extremely useful player who controls possession and pops in some points

Kravtsov just...hasn't figured that out

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He seems actively trying to avoid having the puck. I've never seen a guy like it. It's not laziness because it takes focus to be constantly in a position not to receive a pass. Oh well, it was a worthwhile gamble for an equally nothing player and a 7th rounder.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I always forget the Rangers have had recent 1st and 2nd overall picks because they haven't done much yet. If/when they ever live up to their draft pedigree I'm going to be surprised, as if they came out of nowhere, even though I know they exist.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure Laf is what he is at this point. Good, not exceptional.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
nah, he was a 2020 draft pick, its still too early to make those kind of statements

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jordan7hm posted:

Pretty sure Laf is what he is at this point. Good, not exceptional.

Nope. He's flashed some serious skill but just hasn't been consistent. He will get there.

It's funny because Chytil is only 23 and is going on his 5th year and 300games and only now is rounding into form.

They'd be very stupid to give up on Laf at this point.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Nope. He's flashed some serious skill but just hasn't been consistent. He will get there.

It's funny because Chytil is only 23 and is going on his 5th year and 300games and only now is rounding into form.

They'd be very stupid to give up on Laf at this point.
When we say "get there" what do we mean? He was projected as a superstar for a while before he played on the Rangers and it's hard to think of anyone who turned their career around to that degree. I don't think people are doubting that he could turn in to a productive player but meeting his potential seems off the table. They're not going to give up on him in the sense of waiving him or trading him for a 5th rounder but when's the next time they give him an extended shot on the first powerplay?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Boston won their 58th game. That's the first time in franchise history they've gotten that many, which is kind of surprising considering how long they've been around.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1641620826142257153

Good thing Ottawa got their "#1 goalie" back for this game. A game where he gave up 4 goals on 11 shots.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
dayum you love to see it

https://twitter.com/AlexC_THW/status/1641623003824812032

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Spring Break My Heart posted:

When we say "get there" what do we mean? He was projected as a superstar for a while before he played on the Rangers and it's hard to think of anyone who turned their career around to that degree. I don't think people are doubting that he could turn in to a productive player but meeting his potential seems off the table. They're not going to give up on him in the sense of waiving him or trading him for a 5th rounder but when's the next time they give him an extended shot on the first powerplay?

Predeaft hype is what it is. What I meant was he's is not what he is right now. He's got a ton of room to grow. Not to superstar status (which is disappointing) but I think he will be a very good first liner eventually.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Hockey momentum swings are crazy, I had been resigned to the Devils not taking 1st place just a few days ago but here we are, the Canes are 4-5-1 in their last 10 and NJ is within a point again

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fawning deference posted:

Hockey momentum swings are crazy, I had been resigned to the Devils not taking 1st place just a few days ago but here we are, the Canes are 4-5-1 in their last 10 and NJ is within a point again

Whod you rather play, the Rangers or the Icelanders? lol I think it's the Rangers.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Hard to say honestly, the Islanders are on a nice run, Sorokin is out of his mind, and they're a pretty good candidate for an upset team in the first round imo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

surprised the Flyers pushed that game to OT, tbh

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

bub spank posted:

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1641620826142257153

Good thing Ottawa got their "#1 goalie" back for this game. A game where he gave up 4 goals on 11 shots.

He wanted north of $5mil apparently when Ottawa was negotiating with him, good luck bro

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

devils fans 24 hours ago: it's so over. we're cooked round 1. this team was never ready

devils fans after one victory over the rangers:
https://twitter.com/ryannovo62/status/1641621483339259907

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/teemusel8nne/status/1641623815636787200?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

Oh no