Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joey Freshwater posted:

Is this like the FRIENDS game meme or is this poo poo real because I honestly can’t tell

Power Wash Simulator sincerely has a fun and entertaining arcing plot between your cleaning jobs around the town of Muckingham. Take the time to read the SMS messages your client sends you as a job progresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
SNES Star Fox, or Starwing as it was titled in PAL territories, made a game over fun with the continue screen being a spinning Arwing you could control and muck around with to some light and cheery background music... and if you pressed buttons on the second controller, iirc, you can switch it to the models of lots of other different enemies (and the spaceships that only appear in the animated intro to the game) as basically a hidden model viewer.

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST
My favourite little moment of subtle character-building in Doom 2016 is in the lift at the start, just before the title card. When Hayden is making his pitch for help to Doomguy and says “what we did, we did for the betterment of mankind”, and Doomguy pointedly looks down at the shattered corpse of a scientist at his feet during that line. gently caress you, Samuel Hayden.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Joey Freshwater posted:

God dammit ok fine I’ll get the game

Get ready to blink and realize three hours have gone by! It's so loving addicting.

I'm hoping they keep going with the DLC. :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm gonna do the boss later because this level has been huge (i'm right at the top now), but the Argent Tower level in Doom 2016 owns, especially climbing it's machinery. Also the Mancubus enemy is cool.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Mar 30, 2023

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

AlMac posted:

My favourite little moment of subtle character-building in Doom 2016 is in the lift at the start, just before the title card. When Hayden is making his pitch for help to Doomguy and says “what we did, we did for the betterment of mankind”, and Doomguy pointedly looks down at the shattered corpse of a scientist at his feet during that line. gently caress you, Samuel Hayden.

While slowly cracking his knuckles as the view shakes ever so slightly from his very targeted and pointed rage. That elevator scene is unironically one of the best character establishment scenes of the 2010s.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

RE4 Remake: You spend much less time babysitting Ashley. She gets separated halfway through the castle and only briefly comes back to you halfway through the labs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

grittyreboot posted:

RE4 Remake: You spend much less time babysitting Ashley. She gets separated halfway through the castle and only briefly comes back to you halfway through the labs.

Counterpoint: She won't stay put forever when you tell her to hide in something now. I told her to stay in a locker, then all of a sudden she came running back up to me, halfway through fighting two chainsaw ladies
:negative:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Captain Hygiene posted:

Counterpoint: She won't stay put forever when you tell her to hide in something now. I told her to stay in a locker, then all of a sudden she came running back up to me, halfway through fighting two chainsaw ladies
:negative:

Weird. When I did that she only came back after the fighting was over.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Huh, maybe I spent too long wandering around or something to trigger it. Oh well, I agree with your praise in general anyway.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you click the right stick while she's hiding it'll call her over to you, it's very easy to do in the heat of the moment

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I guess that'd be my actual complaint, but I don't know where else they'd put the command since the controller buttons are pretty much maxed out with relevant stuff. Maybe R1, and add the quick turn to the main interact button instead since it's pretty contextual, I guess.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Mar 31, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

Boo, this is the first change I've read about that I dislike

I never really had a problem with that whole mechanic though

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Boo, this is the first change I've read about that I dislike

I never really had a problem with that whole mechanic though

TBF to the game they do change Ashley's mechanics to be less frustrating. She doesn't have a health bar now. She can be incapacitated, which means she'll lay there until you run over and revive her. In place of the old stay put command she'll instead actively evade enemies. It's still not perfect, but it's better IMO.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
No more instantly killing her cause a single shotgun pellet hit her pinky toe?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

TBF to the game they do change Ashley's mechanics to be less frustrating. She doesn't have a health bar now. She can be incapacitated, which means she'll lay there until you run over and revive her. In place of the old stay put command she'll instead actively evade enemies. It's still not perfect, but it's better IMO.

Oh no I meant that I'm sad they apparently remove her from the game for awhile, since you don't have to protect her. I liked that aspect of the game

Those changes do sound great though

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Leal posted:

No more instantly killing her cause a single shotgun pellet hit her pinky toe?

If Leon shoots her it's still an instant game over. It just means that the ganados won't go out of their way to murder the key to their main goal now.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah dumb Ashley related Game Overs in the original RE4 were a thing. Especially on Professional. The castle catapults for example.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

grittyreboot posted:

If Leon shoots her it's still an instant game over. It just means that the ganados won't go out of their way to murder the key to their main goal now.

See this clip from somebody doing a No Death run on Professional difficulty that was close to the end of the game:
https://www.twitch.tv/elajjaz/clip/GorgeousConsiderateCobraBCouch-8baac3r11UH1oJAm

I've also seen clips of Leon dodging a enemy swinging their melee weapon, that proceeds to hit Ashley right in the head. Sometimes it's better to toggle her to follow from a distance instead of sticking really close to you.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Vic posted:

Yeah dumb Ashley related Game Overs in the original RE4 were a thing. Especially on Professional. The castle catapults for example.

See, I kinda liked that sequence by the third or fourth playthrough.

On the one hand, you don't really want Ashley following you around up there. On the other hand, there's no locker to shove her into.

So, leave her at the top of the stairs, snipe the first catapult, go towards the hut while eliminating cultists in the way, snipe the second catapult from the cupola, and by that time the cultist who spawns where you came from may have made his shambling way to Ashley. Make a mad dash back towards the girl before she gets carried out of the area, drag her back to finish the last catapult and raise the cannon.

The whole sequence incentivizes rapid movement, making you think it's a good idea to leave Ash alone for a bit. Do it quickly enough and you won't even notice the surprise cultist before killing the catapults. I sure didn't until maybe the third time around, on Pro, where it takes more time to kill the ground based enemies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Vic posted:

Oh my first time with the catapult section I had a hell of a time because Ashley got hit with a salvo, so then I'd go get her up, and by the time the animations finished and she could start moving again I'd be out of the blast range and she'd have been able to move maybe a foot before another blast hit her. Took about five revives before I got her somewhere she wouldn't get hit again.

I died for unrelated reasons later and did that section again and I don't think she got hit once. Ashley is a land of contrasts.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Did the (costume spoilers:) suit of armor for Ashley make it back in? That was always hilarious when the granado try to pick her up.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

swordfish duelist posted:

Did the (costume spoilers:) suit of armor for Ashley make it back in? That was always hilarious when the granado try to pick her up.

Sure did.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

swordfish duelist posted:

Leon grabbing his lower back after catching armored Ashley is a little thing in games. The visor on her helmet clamping down when you aim at her is, too. Ash is sick of your poo poo and just goes, "Nope." * clank*

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Does having that make her straight-up immortal for the sections where you play as her avoiding the suits of armor? That part is nerve-wracking and pretty good, but I don't know if I'd feel the same way on subsequent playthroughs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A neat bit of quiet storytelling from Metroid Prime thanks to playing the remaster: while you know about Phazon from the start if you're scanning things, since it's mentioned in the Space Pirate Frigate, environmental and creature scans (which are from Samus' suit itself) only start mentioning Phazon after you've actually had a chance to find a sample of it. Before then the scans only ever say 'mutated by unknown means' or the like.

That first discovery itself is pretty minor and theoretically missable, just finding some tanks of it near the crashed frigate. It's not even in the log book. It just strikes me as a very minor bit of storytelling; Samus and her suit literally don't know what Phazon is until actually scanning it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Does having that make her straight-up immortal for the sections where you play as her avoiding the suits of armor? That part is nerve-wracking and pretty good, but I don't know if I'd feel the same way on subsequent playthroughs.

It does

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Morpheus posted:

the clock code doesn't change if you're just going through the game again so you can skip the first half or so unless you want the treasure

it might change on professional? if you're just playing for fun on regular mode you can make that whole section way shorter, especially if you bumrush them to "opescuseme" past them

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

In Yakuza 0 there are two protagonists who can both do special attacks depending on what kind of stuff is around you. Hit them into walls, slam car doors on them, that kind of thing. So if you're on a bridge over a river or lake you can instadefeat enemies by knocking them into the water. One guy accomplishes this by punching them in the stomach and doing a fancy back kick to knock them over the railing. Very cool, flashy move. I just discovered the other character does it by picking his opponent up over his head and just loving hurling them into the water with the camera making sure to zoom in on the enemy's terrified "oh gently caress this wasn't supposed to happen" face.

I am going to throw so many people off bridges.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is there a special word for that like there is for defenestration?

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Throwing/kicking mooks off platforms is always satisfying, especially when the game realizes this and gives you a little added extra like that.

It's a delight only surpassed by yoinking them off a rooftop from below.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Zero_Grade posted:

Throwing/kicking mooks off platforms is always satisfying, especially when the game realizes this and gives you a little added extra like that.

It's a delight only surpassed by yoinking them off a rooftop from below.

The Sparta Kick in AC Odyssey is a little thing in games all by itself. I've lost count of how many Greeks I've kicked off a high place.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
iirc in the king of kicking game, Dark Messiah, you can even kick someone in the opening cutscene.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Solenna posted:

In Yakuza 0 there are two protagonists who can both do special attacks depending on what kind of stuff is around you. Hit them into walls, slam car doors on them, that kind of thing. So if you're on a bridge over a river or lake you can instadefeat enemies by knocking them into the water. One guy accomplishes this by punching them in the stomach and doing a fancy back kick to knock them over the railing. Very cool, flashy move. I just discovered the other character does it by picking his opponent up over his head and just loving hurling them into the water with the camera making sure to zoom in on the enemy's terrified "oh gently caress this wasn't supposed to happen" face.

I am going to throw so many people off bridges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snnOqwLjq7A&t=18s

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Frig, Yakuza’s heat moves are those sort of things that I enjoy maybe seeing once or twice then I forget about them… except they’re so friggin good that I used them so much.

The box of nails and the kettle were especially brutal heat moves.

Fist of The North Star goes a LOT harder with Kenshiro’s heat moves… usually just via Hokuto No Ken but there is one where he busts out a flame thrower. :getin:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's one in Kiwami that's easy to miss, but just puts the biggest smile on my face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=428h4THJbGQ

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I always appreciate that the mightiest weapon Yakuza is the humble bicycle. They're everywhere, and you can really beat the poo poo out of thugs with them.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Horizon Zero Dawn has a good "yank people off a platform to their doom from below" attack.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's one in Kiwami that's easy to miss, but just puts the biggest smile on my face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=428h4THJbGQ
:allears: I wasn't expecting to enjoy this style of game (3d brawler, I normally play 2d or turn based stuff) as much as I am but it's sure a good time.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I always appreciate that the mightiest weapon Yakuza is the humble bicycle. They're everywhere, and you can really beat the poo poo out of thugs with them.

they added this to the game because of an old video of an actual yakuza beating the poo poo out of someone with a bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a real physical vibe to the whole Yakuza series that underlies the action, both brutal and slapstick.

Probably one of the most consistently funny game series of the last couple generations, not that's a lot of meaningful competition.