Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

A Bakers Cousin posted:

yeah its strange we dont see more pipe bombs in these things

CM Punk shoots a different way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

I think if you could easily buy grenades, you'd see grenades. There's places you can buy flashbangs, but you have be law enforcement to buy them. I have to post the logo of this website.

you'll never forget these deals!

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I graduated high school in 2001 and we never had lockdown drills all through my schooling, even after columbine. Some of you have those in the 90s?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Brrrmph posted:

I graduated high school in 2001 and we never had lockdown drills all through my schooling, even after columbine. Some of you have those in the 90s?

AFAIK lockdown drills are a 2010s thing

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

they really weren’t a thing until the Obama years

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
OK. That’s what I thought. I thought others were implying they had them before columbine. I’m not good at reading.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life

MLK Ultra posted:

it brings me no joy to inform you that MJH is a chud

we have the same hometown, and one of my middle school teachers also went to that same exact school with her, and every year she told her students what an unbearable stuck-up bitch she was all the time.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Bespoke 911

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

9/11 made in america

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

they really weren’t a thing until the Obama years

Wild, I had them at least immediately after columbine, if not a few before.

Once I got to middle school things went insane. My school had an abortion clinic literally 6 inches away from the back wall of the school. We had constant evacuations due to bomb threats, and even a real bombing once! I will never forgive those "pro-life" fuckers for scaring the poo poo out of a ton of kids at least once a month. The real one was pretty minor, only damaging the clinic a bit, but that really reinforced the whole "any bomb threat can be real" thing for me.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Brrrmph posted:

OK. That’s what I thought. I thought others were implying they had them before columbine. I’m not good at reading.

we had them mid 90s including mandatory metal detectors but it was an inner city I don’t think it was widespread until columbine (rich suburb, white). also I don’t think school shooters were particularly the worry it was “gang violence” or whatever for that period

Vomik has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Mar 31, 2023

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Virtual Russian posted:

Wild, I had them at least immediately after columbine, if not a few before.

Once I got to middle school things went insane. My school had an abortion clinic literally 6 inches away from the back wall of the school. We had constant evacuations due to bomb threats, and even a real bombing once! I will never forgive those "pro-life" fuckers for scaring the poo poo out of a ton of kids at least once a month. The real one was pretty minor, only damaging the clinic a bit, but that really reinforced the whole "any bomb threat" can be real thing for me.

we had bomb threats 1-2x a year in high school until 9/11 then almost never qgain. probably because they would try to put you in prison after

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Vomik posted:

we had bomb threats 1-2x a year in high school until 9/11 then almost never qgain. probably because they would try to put you in prison after

All post 9/11, plus the real bomb, they'd really put you in jail for that. As far as I know they never caught whoever did it. That said, it was a very very conservative area, and that police department was later dismantled for corruption and selective enforcement.

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018

WoodrowSkillson posted:

If you care about the loss of life in America you are part of a vanishingly small minority. Americans do not give a single poo poo about anyone.

"Thoughts and Prayers" isn't shallow enough. Just call it TAP. Maybe an emote of someone slumped over a desk tapping it with their fingers, bored out of their brain.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Virtual Russian posted:

All post 9/11, plus the real bomb, they'd really put you in jail for that. As far as I know they never caught whoever did it. That said, it was a very very conservative area, and that police department was later dismantled for corruption and selective enforcement.

Jesus Christ

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

A Bakers Cousin posted:

yeah its strange we dont see more pipe bombs in these things but I guess that requires too much work vs just buying a gun

Buying the ingredients in any significant quantity will get you a visit from some guys in windbreakers.

Unless it's tannerite - in that case, go nuts. You want a 50lb pail? We'll just mail it to your house!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My first lockdown was a guy they were looking for in the neighborhood somewhere. I hid in the closet and then people laughed at me lol. I think this was post columbine and I was in 5th grade. ~1999

There was the occasional lockdown drill but no one simulated it or anything. Graduated 07

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

A Bakers Cousin posted:

AFAIK lockdown drills are a 2010s thing

we had them in the 2000's for sure. The gym teacher seems to have enjoyed playing dress up with a ski mask a little bit too much.

War and Pieces has issued a correction as of 06:21 on Mar 31, 2023

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

A Bakers Cousin posted:

yeah its strange we dont see more pipe bombs in these things but I guess that requires too much work vs just buying a gun

kids these days don't have the gumption to cut and thread 3/4" galvanized pipe

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
We started having shooter drills after V-Tech, when I was in HS. It was weird because we’ve always done tornado drills but then one time they changed it and we stopped doing tornado drills and started doing shooter drills. Who can understand anything about this demon nation?

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

Vomik posted:

we had them mid 90s including mandatory metal detectors but it was an inner city I don’t think it was widespread until columbine (rich suburb, white). also I don’t think school shooters were particularly the worry it was “gang violence” or whatever for that period

yea, i was in a rural area that got spooked and hired "inner city" school admin for the high school. we were prison-style by '96, strict dress code, no backpacks, handheld metal detectors, no loitering anywhere ever, etc. we didnt have school shooter drills, we got locked in the classrooms for 30min so the cops could sweep the whole building with dogs once a month.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

We started having lockdown drills immediately after columbine. The teacher would discreetly lock the door and then a principal would walk around and check to see if all the doors were locked. We also got lots of bomb threats throughout the 90s and then one kid burned down the middle school during summer.

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe
May 13, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yeah, I definitely had lockdown drills in elementary school somewhere around the turn of the century, I still remember thinking that it was stupid that there was a code phrase. They'd announce that there was a 'green bag' in the building and then all of the classrooms would be locked and we'd turn the lights off, cover the little window, and hide on the wall where we couldn't be seen thru the covered window.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

when I was in middle school we used to get so many bomb threats we had a parody of OutKast’s bombs over Baghdad, bomb threats at bradwell.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

my high school got a shooting threat once with a days notice so like 2/3 of the kids just stayed home and the 1/3 of us that showed up spent all day playing melee in the chemistry room since there was no way anyone was gonna try teaching with that turnout

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
It's weird seeing the TikTok comments from clearly right-wing accounts correctly gendering the shooter while complimenting their choice of weapons.

Very normal gun culture

Cyber Punk 90210 has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Mar 31, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

It's weird seeing the TikTok comments from clearly right-wing accounts correctly gendering the shooter while complimenting their choice of weapons.

"Dude had good taste in guns" - a litteral comment

I assume they're just double-negative misgendering and accidentally getting it right.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

RandolphCarter posted:

when I was in middle school we used to get so many bomb threats we had a parody of OutKast’s bombs over Baghdad, bomb threats at bradwell.

our high school had bob threats three days in a row and the NJ record was four so the next day they cancelled school

on Friday the FBI showed up to investigate and they landed a loving black helicopter in one of the athletic fields

I think whomever was doing it got charged as an adult

this was a year before Columbine

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I would be really interested to know what percentage of bomb threats involved actual bombs.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

McCracAttack posted:

I would be really interested to know what percentage of bomb threats involved actual bombs.

the only actual bombing I know of in the US where there was a threat first was the Nashville bombing of 2020 and the threat was a trick to get people out in the street for greater casualties (announcement said people had x minutes to evacuate but it went off well before the end of the fake countdown)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Oh right. Funny how everyone (me included apparently) just immediately forgot about that one and it had zero political or cultural impact.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I'm no criminologist but I speculate that if someone makes a bomb threat before actually detonating a bomb they're probably part of some organized group that wants to damage property but not people, which sounds more European than American

in America people plant bombs to kill other people and usually a warning would work against that aim

people make bomb threats to irritate or terrify people or to disrupt something like a trial or a sporting event, or even just on a lark

follow me @ #EvenBrownerMoses

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

McCracAttack posted:

Oh right. Funny how everyone (me included apparently) just immediately forgot about that one and it had zero political or cultural impact.

quote:

A neighbor said that just before Christmas, Warner had said that "Nashville and the world is never going to forget me."

lmfao

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TmfeNq5x5aQ

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Columbine almost certainly happened because of the superfund site at the military base right next to it, where one of the shooters dad's worked for decades. They don't want you to know this though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mawarannahr posted:

Columbine almost certainly happened because of the superfund site at the military base right next to it, where one of the shooters dad's worked for decades. They don't want you to know this though.

Can you elaborate on this?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

pink noise posted:

yea, i was in a rural area that got spooked and hired "inner city" school admin for the high school. we were prison-style by '96, strict dress code, no backpacks, handheld metal detectors, no loitering anywhere ever, etc. we didnt have school shooter drills, we got locked in the classrooms for 30min so the cops could sweep the whole building with dogs once a month.

In a rural school? What the gently caress?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

the dad of one of the shooters worked in one of the most toxic places in america and people think his kid was hosed up on account of it

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Real hurthling! posted:

the dad of one of the shooters worked in one of the most toxic places in america and people think his kid was hosed up on account of it

Yeah, people who think that don't understand the level of dehumanization and shocking violence that angry suburban white boys can talk themselves into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

Zeroisanumber posted:

In a rural school? What the gently caress?

some rural areas have a lot of black folks, and a funny thing about a whole county with one high school is the rich kids don't have their own safe space. couple kids from the golf course neighborhoods go to rehab for crack, local news is talking about gangs in every city within 200 miles, school board meetings got lit