Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
kebenduranto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Teambuilding Blowbang

Is that too many characters

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Bismack Billablowbango

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Lmao

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Maestro posted:

Bismack Billablowbango

lets gooo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Maestro posted:

Bismack Billablowbango

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hot take: if the celtics keep playing like they did tonight they’ll win the championship

WorldWarZ
Aug 11, 2007

The Maestro posted:

Bismack Billablowbango

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

The Maestro posted:

Bismack Billablowbango

Changing my vote to this.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

hmm yes posted:

One summer league I was sitting in the small gym and some dude was ruthlessly heckling liangelo ball every possession. Just non stop hootin and hollerin. Small room so everyone hears everything. It was amazing to experience

Welp, that’s my WhyteRyce story

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1547724343030870016?s=20

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

fart simpson posted:

what the hell is an np

NP = PTS - FGA - .44 * FTA

Basically deducting field goal attempts and free throw attempts from points.

soggybagel posted:

Guys you're doing it again. You're sounding old as gently caress.

TFW your reg date is old enough to drive a car.

TFW your reg date is old enough to buy alcohol.

Coming soon: TFW your reg date is old enough to be POTUS.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Zogo posted:

NP = PTS - FGA - .44 * FTA

Basically deducting field goal attempts and free throw attempts from points.

ok. why?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
It's an efficiency advanced stat. It separates the ballers from the hoopers.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1641662445180669953?s=46&t=3d9JmXOJWgE8nozHLwUyjQ

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

It's an effective way of combining efficiency and volume of scoring in one stat.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

naz reid...

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Just when he was getting into a groove too :negative:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm amazed Naz kept playing after landing on his wrist. Hopefully he didn't make it worse staying in.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Naz Reid :smith:

https://twitter.com/nikotaughtyou/status/1641667048974548992

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kibner posted:

It's an effective way of combining efficiency and volume of scoring in one stat.

how about this: true shooting % * points

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
The numerator for true shooting is already points. I don't really know why you'd want to measure points squared per true shooting attempt but it sounds cool.

edit: In the league-adjusted shooting stats from basketball reference (https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2023_adj_shooting.html), Jokic and Embiid aren't especially close, the way they are in NP above. Embiid's putting up a gently caress ton of points very efficiently, but not *that* much more efficiently than the very high league-wide scoring rate. Jokic is still way above even that in efficiency, on much lower volume.

Stagger_Lee fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 31, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

fart simpson posted:

how about this: true shooting % * points

That's the exact same thing as net points. That's what he's showing you.

Stagger_Lee posted:

The numerator for true shooting is already points. I don't really know why you'd want to measure points squared per true shooting attempt but it sounds cool.

edit: In the league-adjusted shooting stats from basketball reference (https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2023_adj_shooting.html), Jokic and Embiid aren't especially close, the way they are in NP above. Embiid's putting up a gently caress ton of points very efficiently, but not *that* much more efficiently than the very high league-wide scoring rate. Jokic is still way above even that in efficiency, on much lower volume.

True Shooting is measuring efficiency but its not measuring production. Just using True Shooting would say two guys true shooting 60% are weighed the same, but if one guy is scoring 30 ppg and another guy is scoring 9ppg on the same possession count then there's a big difference. The first guy will have a much higher net point total

A good way of thinking of net points is how many points above or below a theoretical "replacement player" a player scored when using that many shots. In this case the theoretical player is kinda bad so it doesn't mean average but it's a reasonably easy to calculate line.

I think OWS probably does a better stat since it takes more offensive actions into account, but net points is pretty good if you want to look at a player through a pure scoring lense.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zogo posted:

They're #5 in opponent 3PAs right now:

code:
Team			3PA
Houston Rockets		2996
New York Knicks		2826
Chicago Bulls		2800
Orlando Magic		2792
Los Angeles Lakers	2778

Not as bad as I thought, but high up enough I'mma count this as a rare VSM win on analysis.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

pack it up, season's over

Alternate answer: now is the time for Luka Garza to be unleashed

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Detroit made it. Portland. CLT, Indy, and San Antonio didn't
https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/status/1641788499429933058

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

temple posted:

Detroit made it. Portland. CLT, and San Antonio didn't
https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/status/1641788499429933058

Look at the Pels personnel. Now look at their defensive ranking. Herb, Richardson, Trey, and Naji are playing out of their minds on that end and just about everyone else is doing their job. It's similar to the Bulls in "how the gently caress???".

Now, if only the half-court offense can get back on track.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

WhyteRyce posted:

Got interviewed on TV last night where I said “this is the best feeling I’ve ever had and I have two kids this is the best feeling I’ve ever had”

They understand

Your Kings fandom odyssey deserves a Dorktown deep dive retrospective.

Super happy for you & Maestro & other Sacramento fans. I don't post much cause I feel like I'd only add white noise, but I read every N/V, Draft, and most GDT posts and seeing Light the Beam manifest itself has been vicariously cathartic.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Tae posted:

People were super hyping up Mathurin but that went away quickly

The best breakdown of Mathurin this year anyone will get:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/evaluating-in-80750773

(It's a patreon link but unlocked for everyone to read)

Caitlin Cooper rules.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

This is basically perfect timing to maximize damage to the Wolves while keeping Reid's value next year high enough to price him out of returning.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Since it was a topick o conversation on the Lowe post, Do any of you not think Shai Gilgeous should be first team all NBA?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Since it was a topick o conversation on the Lowe post, Do any of you not think Shai Gilgeous should be first team all NBA?
He should be but I could see him not making it if the Thunder fall out of the play-in game.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Lockback posted:

That's the exact same thing as net points. That's what he's showing you.

True Shooting is measuring efficiency but its not measuring production. Just using True Shooting would say two guys true shooting 60% are weighed the same, but if one guy is scoring 30 ppg and another guy is scoring 9ppg on the same possession count then there's a big difference. The first guy will have a much higher net point total

A good way of thinking of net points is how many points above or below a theoretical "replacement player" a player scored when using that many shots. In this case the theoretical player is kinda bad so it doesn't mean average but it's a reasonably easy to calculate line.

I think OWS probably does a better stat since it takes more offensive actions into account, but net points is pretty good if you want to look at a player through a pure scoring lense.

Yeah, I'm not confused about what True Shooting does. But just multiplying it by points would be a much stranger result than using the adjusted shooting numbers from br.

I think NP without adjusting as grown a little bit silly in the way that gives players positive credit for anything above 1 point per possession, which is significantly below the rate of even the worst teams. But it's not a really big deal, the people on the top of the list are still people who are finishing the most very good plays.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Dejan Bimble posted:

i don't think foul-hunters should be rewarded for their detrimental effect on the entertainment value of basketball. 2nd team at most

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's using 1 point per possession because that's how True Shooting is scaled. I mean, you can move the 0 line wherever you want but it's nice that it lines up nicely with a well accepted efficiency measurement.

And 1ppp is about average for Half-court offense! Slightly above actually, especially if you remove putback attempts. But of course these shooting stats aren't really caring about how the points are coming.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So SGA, I have no concerns putting him on All-NBA whatever but it comes down to who goes on and who stays off. You only have 2 Guard slots.

So should he be? Yeah maybe. But 1 spot is going to Luka and SGA will need to beat out Steph, Dame and Mitchell. I'd probably vote SGA but it might go to Steph and I don't think thats too outlandish.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I am leaning towards Dame on first team All-NBA but SGA is a good choice.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Luka is a center if we’re going by BMI so I think sga and Booker is fine.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ammanas posted:

i don't think foul-hunters should be rewarded for their detrimental effect on the entertainment value of basketball. 2nd team at most

I don't think he foul hunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He should be but I could see him not making it if the Thunder fall out of the play-in game.

Pretty much this he's been a top 2 guard this year it depends on how you feel about team success being weighted into the award