Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

3K had so many good ideas and good ways of doing things. Charge reflect was huge.

And emphasizing impact damage from cavalry charges instead of a charge damage/MA bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Kinda wish there was a pollution mechanic. Get an achievement for turning the Moot into Peaky Blinders Birmingham.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ravenfood posted:

And emphasizing impact damage from cavalry charges instead of a charge damage/MA bonus

You have no idea how much I hate that cavalry in WH3 just knock dudes around a bunch without absolutely melting them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mercrom posted:

I would rather have them remove minor settlements entirely. The whole province concept was a dumb idea from the start.

Just have one-city-provinces instead, you mean?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Panderfringe posted:

CA should remove all sieges AND send us all hand crafted apple pies every Wednesday

I don't like pie though, terrible company

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Doomykins posted:

The 1-2 turns it takes to make a single ram so you can click the fight button?

This does stack up over time so if it's 1-2 turns of building for 30% or so of your sieges, plus 1-2 turns of replenishment if you dare to autoresolve instead of grinding through your 5,000th siege = 3-4 turns of down time, per province, yes this does bog down a campaign.

I've been playing Kislev on Legendary/VH because I hate myself, but having restarted this campaign ten or so times, different (seemingly minor) decisions that lead to your LL being 1-3 turns ahead of where they were in the last campaign, or having 2-4 more units by turn 3, or having a province fully conquered so you can kick the commandment in on Turn 4 instead of Turn 6 make a HUGE difference, and matriculate their impact out for the next hundred turns or so. Being a turn ahead can mean the difference between fighting Azhag's full stack + WAAAGH + town garrison in a siege versus wiping him out in an ambush.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Carlos

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Carlos

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Clearly the tragic result of an Estalian trade expedition to Norsca, I applaud CA's commitment to this kind of subtle storytelling

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man, I started a Cylostra game last night, and wow that's a brutal start. Wedged between Alith Anar and his shadow warrior doomstack on one side and Taurox on the other side. And you get to fight them all with an army that's 95% deckhands and pistols in the initial part of the game. She doesn't even really have a quick jog to lothern like she had in TWWH 2 to get her unique building there - she has to brawl through like 3 LLs if she wants to. Mercifully the top of the lore of deeps really solid so she has Vanheims revenge and Krakens pull to fall back on until she has more of her units.

Vcoast seems to have a lot of issues in IE between weak units early and rifle problems in sieges, poor unit selection in general, and and a fairly non-dynamic combat style.

I feel like their pro play would be to ally with traditional counts to get access to ally black knights and vargheists for armor and speed.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The only pirate I see doing well these days is Aranessa. Cylostra and Noctilus get wiped out by Elves and it's still a rare day to see Luthor secure his sgarting province lmao

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rideANDxORdie posted:

This does stack up over time so if it's 1-2 turns of building for 30% or so of your sieges, plus 1-2 turns of replenishment if you dare to autoresolve instead of grinding through your 5,000th siege = 3-4 turns of down time, per province, yes this does bog down a campaign.

I've been playing Kislev on Legendary/VH because I hate myself, but having restarted this campaign ten or so times, different (seemingly minor) decisions that lead to your LL being 1-3 turns ahead of where they were in the last campaign, or having 2-4 more units by turn 3, or having a province fully conquered so you can kick the commandment in on Turn 4 instead of Turn 6 make a HUGE difference, and matriculate their impact out for the next hundred turns or so. Being a turn ahead can mean the difference between fighting Azhag's full stack + WAAAGH + town garrison in a siege versus wiping him out in an ambush.

i think first battle against a ravelin and second battle proper siege fixes this problem: two battles for a big city

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DaysBefore posted:

The only pirate I see doing well these days is Aranessa. Cylostra and Noctilus get wiped out by Elves and it's still a rare day to see Luthor secure his sgarting province lmao

So basically the one that gets t1/2 infantry that's worth a poo poo.

I know she got Maneaters for IE, but I kind of wish she got to play with more mortal pirate units. Let me recruit Long Drong's dwarf slayer pirates, elven corsairs, and whatever other rabble blows into Sartosa. Make the recruitment pool semi-random so it feels like a rag tag informal army made up of anyone who showed up for money and booze

Hell, pull back on the undead side and completely overhaul her to a mortal army for if / when they do Dogs of War. She'd make more sense there anyway to be quite honest.

Edit: had anyone used Nanu's pirates of Sartosa overhaul? It looks like exactly the thing I would hope for.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 30, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Forgot to mention, my Villitch campaign went in a weird direction. I get what people say when talking about AI bias now. Turn 20 or so Festus declared war on me and then spent the entire rest of the game ignoring the Empire, walking through 2-3 provinces and a sea, to continually unload a clown car of nurlites every 5 turns or so, doing the force march dance through my territory the entire time. Forward progress literally stopped because I was in constant "chase /ambush the plague boys" mode. Looks like my 'force march costs movement on the first turn' mod hasn't been updated and no longer work either.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

is it ever worth it to use a battering ram? even in situations where im chilling at a siege for a few turns, i never bother using the ram cause my army seems perfectly capable of taking down gates without one

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

is it ever worth it to use a battering ram? even in situations where im chilling at a siege for a few turns, i never bother using the ram cause my army seems perfectly capable of taking down gates without one
I have never used one. I have built them to get a siege attacker unit in an army that doesn't have one where it would take 2 turns to build towers.

I suppose if you had an entire army of spearmen of some kind it might be faster to use the ram.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Yeah if you don't have a particularly powerful monster/lord, it's pretty fast compared to just beating on it. Generally I just send in the battering ram alone along with my lord and have them hammer on the door till it busts open, then my lord stands in the courtyard soloing everything while my other dudes do whatever they were normally going to do. Sometimes the lord alone is enough!

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

So basically the one that gets t1/2 infantry that's worth a poo poo.

I know she got Maneaters for IE, but I kind of wish she got to play with more mortal pirate units. Let me recruit Long Drong's dwarf slayer pirates, elven corsairs, and whatever other rabble blows into Sartosa. Make the recruitment pool semi-random so it feels like a rag tag informal army made up of anyone who showed up for money and booze

Hell, pull back on the undead side and completely overhaul her to a mortal army for if / when they do Dogs of War. She'd make more sense there anyway to be quite honest.

Edit: had anyone used Nanu's pirates of Sartosa overhaul? It looks like exactly the thing I would hope for.

Nanu's is great, makes aranessa feel super flavorful and fun. It adds on the option to recruit basically any choice of pirate you'd want, with living variants of most the Vcoast roster, plus the Vcoast roster, plus stuff like norscan pirate berserkers, dwarf pirates with blasting charges, dwarf flamethrowers, ogres and leadbelchers, and a ton more. There's the tools to build any kind of gunpowder army you want, which felt really unique and fun, plus lots of unique lords to encourage certain army types. It's a great mod, the biggest problem is that's the balance is incredibly flimsy and you can super easily become gamebreakingly powerful. But also that's fun in its own way, and it's easy to avoid if you want the game a bit more challenging.

Last time I played, I had Aranessa sailing the world with a nice big mix of mortars, cannons, a line of long range sartosan shooters, and all the monster crabs I could scrounge, with a priest of manaan and his crab based magic, while sartosa was defended by a fleet captain, human privateers and bombers, and constructs and skeletons lovingly donated by my best bud Arkhan.

It was a ton of fun, it made sartosa feel like an actual pirate faction with lots of flavorful options, instead of just an also-ran for the Vcoast

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

120 turns into Kugath IE campaign I've realized you can make two plague bomb cultists a turn, one from a settlement and one from an army

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Flavahbeast posted:

120 turns into Kugath IE campaign I've realized you can make two plague bomb cultists a turn, one from a settlement and one from an army

that's pretty dope, i didn't know that. definitely a good ability, kugath starts weak sure but once he has a lot of infections he starts kicking way above his meagre beginnings.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Onehandclapping posted:

Nanu's is great, makes aranessa feel super flavorful and fun. It adds on the option to recruit basically any choice of pirate you'd want, with living variants of most the Vcoast roster, plus the Vcoast roster, plus stuff like norscan pirate berserkers, dwarf pirates with blasting charges, dwarf flamethrowers, ogres and leadbelchers, and a ton more. There's the tools to build any kind of gunpowder army you want, which felt really unique and fun, plus lots of unique lords to encourage certain army types. It's a great mod, the biggest problem is that's the balance is incredibly flimsy and you can super easily become gamebreakingly powerful. But also that's fun in its own way, and it's easy to avoid if you want the game a bit more challenging.

Last time I played, I had Aranessa sailing the world with a nice big mix of mortars, cannons, a line of long range sartosan shooters, and all the monster crabs I could scrounge, with a priest of manaan and his crab based magic, while sartosa was defended by a fleet captain, human privateers and bombers, and constructs and skeletons lovingly donated by my best bud Arkhan.

It was a ton of fun, it made sartosa feel like an actual pirate faction with lots of flavorful options, instead of just an also-ran for the Vcoast

Nanu's Sartosa is very good. Ranged heavy armies aren't really my thing but it has a lot of versatile options. Recommend it a lot for those that like mods

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've come to appreciate that a Vampire Coast game in TW lets you shoot off in whatever direction you'd like. Aranessa has wound up down in the Southlands fighting skaven after taking Black Crag and Karak Eight Peaks, because Lahmia's another victory city and while I'm here, raiding and pillaging the rats is as good as any other victim.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So can pirates not confederate? I've made friends with Noctilus because I was expecting to be able to confederate him, but I'm not seeing the option.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

So can pirates not confederate? I've made friends with Noctilus because I was expecting to be able to confederate him, but I'm not seeing the option.

Nope! I think that is at least part of why you can unlock the other immortal shipbuilding lords.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Dang. Wish the faction select screen had told me that (or been in a more obvious place if it did).

Oh well.

Sorry, Noctilus. You seem like an enjoyably hammy bad guy, but I suppose the traveling natural disaster that is Aranessa's fleet will be coming for you once she makes her way out of the Southlands.

For my second real game it's been interesting to see how differently things have played out. Queek and Imrik are both doing far, far better than they did in my dwarf campaign. Well. Queek was doing better before Aranessa grabbed Lahmia from him and has gone on a tear through the region. :v:

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019
Looks like the first content creators have started showing Chaos Dwarves off. Turin posted a multiplayer match VS Greenskins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq5m3F_gZW8

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

lol

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
someone should have looked in the code base before they shipped the game

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
What exactly is wrong with confeds, just enemies confederating when you start munching on them? Anti bias aside (they should make it less dumb), that stood out for me.

Isn't that kinda the point of confeds?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I won a game because the faction I was to exterminate confederated. I was fine with it cause it was loving skaven and hunting them down is like, well, trying to find a rat in your house.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

dogstile posted:

What exactly is wrong with confeds, just enemies confederating when you start munching on them? Anti bias aside (they should make it less dumb), that stood out for me.

Isn't that kinda the point of confeds?

I like the idea of LLs getting gobbled up by same-race AI factions after you defeat them, but I don't care for AI confederations when you're fighting them. It's a good system of keeping enemies around longer. So many cool and fun factions die early and you never get a chance to fight them, like Grom the Paunch who never survives past, like, turn 10.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

jokes posted:

I like the idea of LLs getting gobbled up by same-race AI factions after you defeat them, but I don't care for AI confederations when you're fighting them. It's a good system of keeping enemies around longer. So many cool and fun factions die early and you never get a chance to fight them, like Grom the Paunch who never survives past, like, turn 10.

Weird, that fucker absolutely destroys brettonia in all of my games.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Yea it sucks that even if an AI faction get huge their only going to have one LL leading the faction, maybe they could have AI vassalize each other more to keep more interesting LLs around

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
There’s loads of anti-anti-player bias mods on the Workshop, surely it wasn’t buried that deep in the code?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's entirely possible there was some underlying piece of bad logic or coding, and the workshop mods are just addressing the individual bad results rather than the underlying issue.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

jokes posted:

The Recruit Defeated Legendary Lords mod is perfect for this. It allows you to add the LL of defeated factions, but the AI can do it as well. Seeing Mazdamundi run around with Tiktaq'to and Kroq-Gar at end game is hilarious.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Cardboard Fox posted:

The Recruit Defeated Legendary Lords mod is perfect for this. It allows you to add the LL of defeated factions, but the AI can do it as well. Seeing Mazdamundi run around with Tiktaq'to and Kroq-Gar at end game is hilarious.

Yeah this mod owns, and is even smarter than it first lets on. Monogod chaos lords won't join different monogods (so Azazel won't join Festus but will join Archaon, for example), but they will jump races entirely if it makes sense in in the lore -- my last game surprised the poo poo out of me when Skarbrand showed up as part of Be'lakor's faction.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

maybe in your games but in my current Aranessa run he's taken over most of Brettonia by turn 60. I came up there to check on what was going on and between him and Red Duke, they are hosed

for the record I don't recommend Aranessa. she's not an OP vampire wizard and all those poor Sartosans keep dying to my own mortars :mad:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
mod is lords of magic to have her be a deeps wizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

and all those poor Sartosans keep dying to my own mortars :mad:

Eh its fine, just raise them as zombie hand gunners