Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
jck is gonna hallucinate himself a cure, which will actually work, and his telepathic powers will never be mentioned again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The more I think back on this episode, the stupider it gets.

The goons above me were right, Vadic totally didn't have a plan going in and everything would have ended right there if Geordie wasn't such an idiot.

Rules for dealing with a murderous android strong enough to pull you apart:

Step 1) air gaps people!

Step 2) Remove their arms and legs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Actually in all seriousness whatever poo poo was driving Picard's mother crazy and suicidall and having her see monsters and poo poo is probably the same thing going on with Jack

If they try and tie all this bullshit back to being the reason Q contacted Picard in TNG in the first place, I will eat an entire spacedock.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
And Vadic's back story made no sense.
There were no captured founders, what the gently caress is that about? If they'd found 9 lost founders maybe, Odo style? But they didn't say that. The founders would loving KNOW 9 of their number were missing.

Again - if they were conspiracy bugs it makes sense.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i can't tell if they meant that the changeling replaced the scientist or if they meant that the changeling "linked" with her to become vadic

i thought it was the latter but it seems like a lot of people seem to think its the former for some reason and i guess it is actually kinda ambiguous. well, if so, who cares? she's just some scientist

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Picard straight up addresses it, she's using the scientist as her 'default' shape to remind her of the trauma. It's probably why she's scarred, because Vadic presumably tortured the scientist lady.

I'd buy there being a few captured Changelings that the Link just assumed got killed and S31 kept quietly.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Picard straight up addresses it, she's using the scientist as her 'default' shape to remind her of the trauma. It's probably why she's scarred, because Vadic presumably tortured the scientist lady.

I'd buy there being a few captured Changelings that the Link just assumed got killed and S31 kept quietly.

The death of a changeling is a colossal matter
They drill this into you tonnes. They have their foundlings but if a changeling dies they know

9 is a lot!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
So like was there actually a Vulcan warship or

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

External Organs posted:

So like was there actually a Vulcan warship or

lol i completely forgot about it

my guess is that there was? they were expositing all that as if it were a ruse or something but they never went back to it

it's also not completely disabled either, iirc they said it was in the same state as the titan. i'm guessing this is how tuvok's appearance next week comes into play also

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Well, at least the music in this episode tried.

Speaking of which when the Voyager theme tells us it's okay, this is the real Tuvok, only for it to not be fifteen seconds later, that's this whole show in a nutshell. Endless emotional bait-and-switch. At this point my money's on the gang getting together on the bridge of the Enterprise D, but it's the Titan's holodeck.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Tim Russ just getting beat up by scrubs left and right this TV season

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Well, at least the music in this episode tried.

Speaking of which when the Voyager theme tells us it's okay, this is the real Tuvok, only for it to not be fifteen seconds later, that's this whole show in a nutshell. Endless emotional bait-and-switch. At this point my money's on the the gang getting together on the bridge of the Enterprise D, but it's the holodeck.

Honestly? Wouldn't hate it if the final scene was a "for old time's sake". It'll be better than Captain Jack saying "engage" on the bridge of the G (geddit? Like G-ene! Roddenberry! :haw:)

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Alchenar posted:

The most positive thing I can say about this is that Amanda Plummer is doing absolutely heroic work with the script she's been given. It's not good, but someone else with that material could have been completely unwatchable

I was unimpressed by her performance, but you're right, she's deadlifting every scene she's in while everyone else stands around gawking.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Gaz-L posted:

lol that's something that's been bothering me about the dialogue too (to be clear i'm not saying you're wrong, that is what happens). it's just picard's speculation i think, vadic doesn't actually explicitly say this, but once a main character says it, we're supposed to automatically accept it as truth

its really ironic that he was with beverly when he said it actually because the show is really bad about using her character to do the exact same thing too

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Typical Pubbie posted:

I was unimpressed by her performance, but you're right, she's deadlifting every scene she's in while everyone else stands around gawking.

The reaction shots of Bev and Picard are extremely bad. :geno:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Picard is like an inverse Andor in so many ways. I feel like this episode was our One Way Out.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it's clear amanda plummer is trying and the material is absolutely loving terrible, but i don't think she's doing a great job either. it's not hammy bad, which is at least fun to watch, it's just actually bad and hard to watch

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Actually in all seriousness whatever poo poo was driving Picard's mother crazy and suicidall and having her see monsters and poo poo is probably the same thing going on with Jack

you should write for the show

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

That DICK! posted:

you should write for the show

I wish I'd gotten a chance to know....that Jean-Luc Picard

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

The Founders are loving gods in the Dominion. If 9 were missing they would be furious.

I could buy they rounded up like 2 of the Odo Changelings, but 9 of them?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Also like lolling forever about getting sad about experimenting on the guys who literally genetically engineer any species they want to. The Vorta, the Jem Hadar, hell they even made that blight bioweapon for no real reason other than to see a whole planet suffer.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

External Organs posted:

Also like lolling forever about getting sad about experimenting on the guys who literally genetically engineer any species they want to. The Vorta, the Jem Hadar, hell they even made that blight bioweapon for no real reason other than to see a whole planet suffer.

Remember when the Female Changeling told Garak everyone he knew is dead, and his planet is dead and he will be extinct?

Good times

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ehhhh that's one thing I don't have an issue with, they could easily be infiltrators who were caught during the Dominion cold/hot war and written off by the Dominion as lost assets. Like the second Bashir one suicide bombed himself, their lives weren't that sacrosanct

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

it's clear amanda plummer is trying and the material is absolutely loving terrible, but i don't think she's doing a great job either. it's not hammy bad, which is at least fun to watch, it's just actually bad and hard to watch

There's a point where any actor has to follow direction and you only see the take that the director picked.

I'm also willing to give a pass on 'there were changeling captives'. If you are going to add to the backstory of the Dominion War then you do necessarily have to add things that weren't shown in DS9. The problem is that the reason this stuff is added is so that the story can be 'the Federation sucks and is the bad guys'.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If they try and tie all this bullshit back to being the reason Q contacted Picard in TNG in the first place, I will eat an entire spacedock.

"You see Picard, Jack must come with me if he is to learn the ways of The Force."
"The Force?"
"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why are Vadic’s henchmen pretending to be other aliens besides budgetary reasons

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm starting to think we're not going to see a single Changeling with the classic Odo/Female Changeling style makeup, which just seems like such an open goal for a show obsessed this much with nostalgia

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No Worf and this was a bad episode. Coincidence? I think not.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why are Vadic’s henchmen pretending to be other aliens besides budgetary reasons

She likes birds

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was entirely to create an artificial mystery just for the audience until the big Changeling reveal but now they’ve got the costumes anyway so they’re just gonna keep using them.

It’s just like DS9, remember all the times changelings showed up as big hulking goons who click-talked like the aliens from District 9??? Don’t you remember??

What do you mean that’s not how DS9 did it???

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

No Dignity posted:

I'm starting to think we're not going to see a single Changeling with the classic Odo/Female Changeling style makeup, which just seems like such an open goal for a show obsessed this much with nostalgia

The only time they’ve done anything close to it are the moments where Vadic is being hurt by her boss and her face briefly goes smooth.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's what I said - there's literally no reason for them to be bird people and speaking in clicks.

But, it was a Mystery Box at the start of the series, therefore it doesn't have to make sense.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
So there's only 9? Wasn't the implication that they were all over Star Fleet and had compromised it to the core?

I get that writing is hard, but this fails basic story telling.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

TerminalRaptor posted:

So there's only 9? Wasn't the implication that they were all over Star Fleet and had compromised it to the core?

Star fleet has been compromised by -one- changeling who is very fast and has replaced a bunch of people, like the dinner scene in Mrs. Doubtfire

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TerminalRaptor posted:

She mentioned that there were originally 9 but that they later recruited others

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

TerminalRaptor posted:

No, Vadic talked about how other changlings joined the cause, and she could transfer the new abilities she had to them at the cost of greatly shortening their lives

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

TerminalRaptor posted:

I thought Vadic explained she could pass on her upgrade/evolved powers to other Changelings, but they wouldn't live as long and is painful? So after giving them to the other 8 captured Changelings, she went back to the Great Link and recruited however many they needed to infiltrate Starfleet.

As for the 9 captured Changelings, I didn't have an issue with that. I mean they shot a 100 baby Changelings out into the ether to see what was up. Have 9 total captured during the Dominion War (along with pre and post) seems reasonable. Not a big fan of the torture science, but seeing how S31 developed a genocide virus, I guess it isn't really out of character for what was happening at the time.

On the other hand, I did hate the Picard/Beverly decision to just execute a prisoner. To protect their weirdo kid or not, it seemed completely out of character. Overall, I don't hate this season like a lot of people here do. I also don't think it is particularly great like it seems the rest of the internet thinks. It has been a step up from S1 and S2 (not a high bar to clear) which were just atrocious, but I did not like this episode.

Also, I know the Fleet Day thing where every Starfleet ship is going to be there will drive me insane. Besides how stupid that is as a concept, I know there are going to be like 200 ships total or something stupidly small for a power as large as the Federation. But I guess that is just the usual Sci-Fi/Fantasy writers being bad at numbers.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Taear posted:

And Vadic's back story made no sense.
There were no captured founders, what the gently caress is that about? If they'd found 9 lost founders maybe, Odo style? But they didn't say that. The founders would loving KNOW 9 of their number were missing.

Again - if they were conspiracy bugs it makes sense.

Yeah the Dominion War would of not ended had the Federation captured and kept 9 changlings virus or not. The Founders would of went scorched earth on the Federation out of spite.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah the Dominion War would of not ended had the Federation captured and kept 9 changlings virus or not. The Founders would of went scorched earth on the Federation out of spite.

It also stretches belief that so many other foundlings also came through the wormhole like Odo.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TerminalRaptor posted:

She tells them that she linked with other changelings and they also got whatever is in her.

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

As for the 9 captured Changelings, I didn't have an issue with that. I mean they shot a 100 baby Changelings out into the ether to see what was up. Have 9 total captured during the Dominion War (along with pre and post) seems reasonable. Not a big fan of the torture science, but seeing how S31 developed a genocide virus, I guess it isn't really out of character for what was happening at the time.

The changeling shoot out was a considered and thought about thing though.
And bashir wanting to suicide makes sense in the context of what they needed that changeling to do (he did also try to escape at first, but his role was HUGE)
There's a big difference between that and "we captured 9 founders"

TerminalRaptor posted:

It also stretches belief that so many other foundlings also came through the wormhole like Odo.

If they'd said they were foundlings they discovered? Sure
But we know there's no other changelings in federation space (foundling ones) at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

200 starships is a lot to be fair. The shows show the starships as always very busy, presumably because they are faster than everything else. And a lot of federation members still maintain their own fleets.