Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Eckel/status/1641716943576088578
Russian General: We assure you you won't be sent to Ukraine to assault dug in defenders in piecemeal numbers.
Also Russian general: I lied!

They'll just redefine the occupied oblasts and Crimea as not Ukraine, send them there, and have the current forces move up to the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dwesa posted:

They won't be deployed to Ukraine, they'll just mysteriously vanish one day.

Also, this Russian propagandist likely actually believes that "meanwhile, Soviets just used a pencil!" Space Pen urban legend

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1641777045406400519

They probably keep shopping down at Big Suka Sukoi’s…

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

A whistleblower leaked information on Russia's cyber warfare tactics

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/mar/30/vulkan-files-leak-reveals-putins-global-and-domestic-cyberwarfare-tactics

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
How's Malcolm Nance doing?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

jaete posted:

Eh, in the official NATO process there isn't any "we'll join but only if this other country also joins" type of application. Finland & Sweden made their applications at the same time but they were separate applications. The Finnish president remarked at one point that it's kinda awkward, since if Turkey now approves Finland but not Sweden (as has happened), what is Finland meant to do, withdraw their application?

Erdogan came up with some bullshit and made Finland eat it's words, that is all. It's not a huge betrayal or anything.

I have a washing machine and children so obviously I'm personally happy we're getting in fast.

jaete posted:

Anyway, just gotta wait for Erdogan now I guess... it's all on him imo

As I understand it even after he's signed off on it we have to send our acceptance letter to the United States so what I'm worried about is that the finnish Posti will do it's thing and the letter will arrive in United Arab Emirates after 8-10 weeks.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/RabbiUkraine/status/1641453885981335565

The (((globalist)))-ukrainian nazi alliance is WISHING everyone a happy PASSOVER again

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

They won't be deployed to Ukraine, they'll just mysteriously vanish one day.

Also, this Russian propagandist likely actually believes that "meanwhile, Soviets just used a pencil!" Space Pen urban legend

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1641777045406400519
Lol they're just not actually seeing the results of the MIC in Ukraine. It's almost all surplus gear.

jaete posted:

Eh, in the official NATO process there isn't any "we'll join but only if this other country also joins" type of application. Finland & Sweden made their applications at the same time but they were separate applications. The Finnish president remarked at one point that it's kinda awkward, since if Turkey now approves Finland but not Sweden (as has happened), what is Finland meant to do, withdraw their application?

Anyway, just gotta wait for Erdogan now I guess... it's all on him imo
I think the paperwork needs to be submitted to the HQ, no? So just don't do that.

That is if there was any point in postponing. Sweden is perfectly safe so we can wait out Erdogan if it comes down to it.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Carth Dookie posted:

They'll just redefine the occupied oblasts and Crimea as not Ukraine

This already happened. Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhzhia and Kherson oblasts democratically, lawfully, voluntarily, subject to no foreign coercion and 100% officially had a referendum and with 99% of completely legitimate votes in favor became part of Russia last year, joining Crimea who on equally democratic and lawful terms became part of Russia in 2014.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Icochet posted:

As I understand it even after he's signed off on it we have to send our acceptance letter to the United States so what I'm worried about is that the finnish Posti will do it's thing and the letter will arrive in United Arab Emirates after 8-10 weeks.

No doubt you're joking but of course it will be hand-delivered by some diplomat (as will all these papers). They won't be mailing it as an international letter from your local Posti.

BTW, Hungary should be bringing its acceptance letter to the US State Dept. very soon:
https://twitter.com/HenriVanhanen/status/1640739291704836096

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I think Sweden still has a defensive pact with USA and UK for the interim of joining NATO. No idea on it's duration. I'm sure Sweden can wait out Erdogan without any worries.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1641793493562523649

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Icochet posted:

Erdogan came up with some bullshit and made Finland eat it's words, that is all. It's not a huge betrayal or anything.

I have a washing machine and children so obviously I'm personally happy we're getting in fast.

Padlocking ourselves to the Swedish application process was a stupid move to begin with, I am glad that our government at least understood to abandon that sinking ship fast. I get the idea that symbolically we apply at the same time, "the era of Nordic neutrality has ended" and all, but going in we knew that Sweden had difficult political deadlocks with countries like Turkey, which otherwise was fine with Finland after the normal money squeeze out of the process.

And since Finland really was in the worse position, it was just a badly misjudged political gesture to promise to go "hand in hand with Sweden all the way" and then wait and see how badly the Swedish internal political slapfighting will scuttle our process as collateral damage. And surprise surprise, that exact thing everyone was expecting happened.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 31, 2023

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tai posted:

I think Sweden still has a defensive pact with USA and UK for the interim of joining NATO. No idea on it's duration. I'm sure Sweden can wait out Erdogan without any worries.

I'm sorry but Erdogan is eternal. He is built from autocracy and spite everlasting. The world bends around Erdogan the Unchanging, not the other way around.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
You guys are not gonna believe how many crimes Kilicdaroglu will soon be found to have committed

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Somaen posted:

https://twitter.com/RabbiUkraine/status/1641453885981335565

The (((globalist)))-ukrainian nazi alliance is WISHING everyone a happy PASSOVER again

Matzah is a big deal in Dnipro, Ukraine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pie6X2GG-s

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

tbh, is there anything 2000 angry dudes with shovels couldent gently caress up, given enough time?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Eckel/status/1641716943576088578
Russian General: We assure you you won't be sent to Ukraine to assault dug in defenders in piecemeal numbers.
Also Russian general: I lied!

Well, formally there is no law that prohibits from using conscripts in combat zones, it is just a new tradition that came from Chechnya fuckups and is still being upheld...
Of course there are two "however":
- Russia considers every territory where combat is occuring right now as Russian territory because annexation. What exact borders you say? uhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm;
- From early 2022, conscripts are heavily pressured to sign service contracts from the start - and since there is no more mobilization action coming (because of how rear end the first wave was), they will go especially hard here

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

imagining that leopard 2 barreling into the 2000 shovel guys, slowly succumbing to the damage like a car in street fighter

zone
Dec 6, 2016

fatherboxx posted:

Well, formally there is no law that prohibits from using conscripts in combat zones, it is just a new tradition that came from Chechnya fuckups and is still being upheld...
Of course there are two "however":
- Russia considers every territory where combat is occuring right now as Russian territory because annexation. What exact borders you say? uhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm;
- From early 2022, conscripts are heavily pressured to sign service contracts from the start - and since there is no more mobilization action coming (because of how rear end the first wave was), they will go especially hard here

Interesting. Thanks for this! :tipshat:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yeah the 509th Penal battalion tactical group versus the Ukrainian 3rd Armoured Regiment.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

How many actual leopards does it take to defeat the tank?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I think a leopards claw could penetrate a T-34s undercab

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

the crew have to leave some time, 1?

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Fumble posted:

tbh, is there anything 2000 angry dudes with shovels couldent gently caress up, given enough time?

Or heck, just one guy

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Doesn't even need a shovel.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Oh man, I still remember the massive strategy gaming forums flamewars about spearmen defeating tanks in Sid Meier's Civilization, back in the day. All kinds of wild scenarios were postulated to explain how the wily Aztecs managed to destroy rampaging modern armor. Digging huge holes and tricking the tanks into driving in was absolutely one of them.

I thought the arguments were real dumb. Silly me.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Renreeja posted:

imagining that leopard 2 barreling into the 2000 shovel guys, slowly succumbing to the damage like a car in street fighter

Modern tank doctrine against a threat of 2,000 shovel guys relies on engaging at an advantageous range.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Unclear, but thanks to the Russians we know that it takes one crocodile to defeat an armoured cruiser.

(grab some popcorn and listen to the Lions Led By Donkeys episode on the Voyage of the Damned. https://soundcloud.com/user-798629330/episode-121-russo-japanese-war-part-3-the-voyage-of-the-damned)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Citation: Sid Meyer's Civilization

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1641748513946992642

Plus the people they murdered and burned on the Zhytomyr highway.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Renreeja posted:

In age of empires you could send a horde of villagers at a catapult and they'd eventually break it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Unclear, but thanks to the Russians we know that it takes one crocodile to defeat an armoured cruiser.

(grab some popcorn and listen to the Lions Led By Donkeys episode on the Voyage of the Damned. https://soundcloud.com/user-798629330/episode-121-russo-japanese-war-part-3-the-voyage-of-the-damned)

So this recent incompetence has precedents

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pekinduck posted:

In age of empires you could send a horde of villagers at a catapult and they'd eventually break it.

I mean. That's not exactly unlikely. One person with a saw could gently caress up a catapult.

A modern tank is a tad different.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Power Khan posted:

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1641748513946992642

Plus the people they murdered and burned on the Zhytomyr highway.

Dam you USA!

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Roblo posted:

A modern tank is a tad different.

Everyone just jam their shovels under the turret and push up, it'll pop right off.

...well drat, that trick works on the T-14

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is that a level in that zombie origins mobile game?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Every time I see anything related to the 2nd Pacific Squadron I just mouth "Kamchatka" and start giggling. That loving boat and its crew were way ahead of the Battlefield 2 "ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED"-style griefing.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Every time I see anything related to the 2nd Pacific Squadron I just mouth "Kamchatka" and start giggling. That loving boat and its crew were way ahead of the Battlefield 2 "ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED"-style griefing.

"Torpedo boats!... torpedo boats everywhere!!!!!!" :derp: :derp: :derp:

(Actually British fishing boats) :ughh:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The story of the Baltic Fleet's disastrous trip to the Far East will never not make me laugh. Just an absolute clown college of a navy

Russia's land army didn't perform much better either, they got beaten at Mukden and that set up the stage for the final battle at Tsushima where the Russian national humiliation was completed lol

Battle of Mukden posted:

With the defeat of the Russian Manchurian Army in Mukden, the Russian forces were driven out of southern Manchuria. However, with problems concerning its overstretched supply lines, the Japanese army failed to destroy the Russian forces stationed in the region completely and Kuropatkin's forces, though severely demoralized and short of supplies, were still largely intact. But the battle of Mukden was decisive enough to shatter the Russians' morale and, with the unfinished Trans-Siberian railroad now in Japanese hands, undermined the tsarist government's war effort. The final, decisive battle of the war would be eventually fought on the waters of Tsushima.

The victory shocked the imperial powers of Europe, as the Japanese proved overwhelming throughout the battle despite the Russians having more manpower and materiel. It showed that European armies were not automatically superior to those of other nations, and could be even decisively outmatched in battle. The battle had confirmed the Japanese army the 6th largest army in the world. Tsar Nicholas II was particularly shocked, when the news reached the palace in St. Petersburg, that the tiny Asian island nation of Japan - approximately 2% of Russia's landmass - could defeat the powerful and huge Russian empire. The tsarist government was irritated over the incompetence and clumsiness of their commanders during the battle. The generals Aleksandr Samsonov and Paul von Rennenkampf began to loathe each other as Samsonov very publicly accused von Rennenkampf of failing to assist him. In World War I these Generals would command the two armies involved in the even more disastrous Battle of Tannenberg.

Casualties posted:

Russia:
88,352 total
8,705 KIA
51,438 WIA
28,209 MIA
22,000 captured

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009