Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

My favourite prize tasks are when they know Greg and involve him. Rhod Gilbert, Mark Watson, etc.

Mark stealing Greg's pants is definitely one of my favorite prize tasks just for that dawning realization on Greg's face that he's about to get an answer to a months old mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
0 Days to New Taskmaster...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s today…

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nystral posted:

Does TM only pull comedians as contestants?

Leo Ajkic in the Norwegian version primarily works as a manager for rap artists.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Boxturret posted:

Any time a contestant has some sort of personal link with the taskmaster or assistant is great.

I think my favourite is the phone someone from your past task in NZ s1, and you have Guy struggling to think of someone while sitting right accross from his brother.

Love this line of conversation considering the final AU task this ep.

Overall episode was the weakest so far, but Julia’s version of said task was excellent.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Overall episode was the weakest so far, but Julia’s version of said task was excellent.

Julia's efforts felt very early UK Taskmaster to me. Back when they went to ridiculous lengths just for a laugh. I loved it.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Mark stealing Greg's pants is definitely one of my favorite prize tasks just for that dawning realization on Greg's face that he's about to get an answer to a months old mystery.

"...and the last thing I said before I left was "Who Loses loving Trousers??"!"

Great moment.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Well, I got the email from SRO Audiences today, apparently. So I guess it did go out eventually, just a few days after it was possible to sign up.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

It’s today…

TASKONBURY?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

It’s today…

genuinely just looked at the Taskmaster thread in my bookmarks and then the clock and went "that's today!"

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Really liking this group already and as usual, the two people I've not heard of are the people I'm enjoying the most.

That boat task would have freaked me out alot, I'd be terrified of breaking it.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

Really liking this group already and as usual, the two people I've not heard of are the people I'm enjoying the most.

That boat task would have freaked me out alot, I'd be terrified of breaking it.

I am AMAZED that got past the Channel 4 Health and Safety person. They had a 60% crash rate!

Kiell Smith-Bynoe was the star of the episode for me. His barge-song, his worm-dance, and his sudden and entirely justified moment of betrayed rage in the final task were top-notch.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Two Taskmaster episodes in one day is almost too much.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
lol the scientist in the australian episode is a minor nz celebrity

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/129762949/dr-joel-rindelaub-is-flying-the-flag-for-cool-nerds

nerox
May 20, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

It’s today…

I'm ready to love again.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Paladinus posted:

Two Taskmaster episodes in one day is almost too much.

lol

i keep forgetting to check in here!

the aussie ep was excellent. i love this cast so much and sad to see it ending. watching uk ep 1 soon! so excited :woop:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Hello Pragmatica!

I really hope TM australia gets a second series; it's amazing how it just keeps being great week after week.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd still like to see Rachel Riley. And Diane Morgan.

I remember some other comedian saying that he's never going to be on because he asked to be on and its a rule that if you ask to be on then its an automatic "nope forever" and he went on to mention that Rachel Riley was in the same boat (and a comment about "so if you see her on then they just lied to me")

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

D'oh, I keep forgetting that they're filming in NZ, which makes it even funnier that they kept asking him Australian questions.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Watching the first episode of this series really shows how, as much as I love Taskmaster Australia, it's hard to beat the studio banter of the UK series. I can see why none of the other English language series try to do the same type of intro as UK though. I wouldn't want to try and live up to Greg and Alex's banter and I don't think any of them really could.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dragonstoned posted:

I remember some other comedian saying that he's never going to be on because he asked to be on and its a rule that if you ask to be on then its an automatic "nope forever" and he went on to mention that Rachel Riley was in the same boat (and a comment about "so if you see her on then they just lied to me")

I mean it's possible they did lie to him (or have changed their mind since that anecdote) because Alex has mentioned that the show is big enough now that they do have a lot of people reach out to them to be on, so if they disqualified everyone who did that they'd probably run out of viable candidates pretty quickly. He's said that usually the way they cast is that they mostly go for comedians, but not necessarily all standups, and try to get a mix of people that everyone (or at least, everyone in the UK) will know and people they won't. I feel like Rachel Riley is someone who is more likely to be in one of the New Years Treats than a full series just because those are the ones where they branch out from comedians.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I couldn't tell if Frankie was having a good time or was absolutely miserable for the entire episode. Maybe both?

The studio task was brilliant. What suspense, what drama!

E: Watching two different versions back to back made me think. Were all NZ and AU tasks filmed exclusively in and around the house? Location tasks probably cost extra, I imagine. Especially when there's a risk of totalling a barge.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 31, 2023

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

"If you ask to be on the show you're never allowed on it" sounds like a real dick move to me.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phigs posted:

"If you ask to be on the show you're never allowed on it" sounds like a real dick move to me.

it also doesn't sound like the everyone knows everyone comedy scene that they seem to be apart of. it'd be really surprising if there wasn't lots of feeling out who might be interested informally

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The rage on that string task was glorious.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Finally found the clip, it was Andrew Collins and he was told the same thing by both Alex and Greg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5sCjCePYvg&t=1912s
(around 31:56 if it doesn't auto do it)

You're right they could always just get rid of the rule, but I don't think they're gonna be hurting for guests anytime soon

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like Rachel Riley is someone who is more likely to be in one of the New Years Treats than a full series just because those are the ones where they branch out from comedians.

I'd say Rachel Riley is in the same comedian-adjacent tier as Richard Osman and Victoria Coren-Mitchell. Between 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown and the occasional panel show appearance she'd fit in pretty well.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I really appreciate Greg and Alex respecting Mae's they/them pronouns.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

reality_groove posted:

Yeah that was really nice. Fun premiere, decent lineup, I really like Dean from Stath Lets Flats. Good contrast with him being competent but charismatic, Mae’s poise, Jenny losing her poo poo, and Ivo turning everything into an actual disaster. Also Frankie Boyle is there, I guess

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trabant posted:

Victoria Coren Mitchell, Alice Levine, Charlotte Richie, and Katherine Parkinson are all of the presenter/actor persuasion vs. comedian. They were all fantastic on the show, if for different reasons. Victoria losing her mind throughout was a highlight for me.

While there's been quite a few like this who aren't comedians, they tend to source actors/presenters who've at least proven their comedic chops on a few panel shows and the like. I imagine both because that's who they tend to know/be in contact with, but also because if they've demonstrated that ability it means they'll probably work out well on Taskmaster.

(Also to be fair in england that's a pretty large proportion of the actor pool as well)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 31, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I truly believe Victoria is the best Taskmaster contestant there has ever been. She will never be topped.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

reality_groove posted:

My girlfriend said this, and also that its sad that it even needs to be pointed out. Also I'd totally forgotten Mae was Canadian and it threw me when they started speaking.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

reality_groove posted:

I do as well, but to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it had been made a condition of their participation. Not to say Greg and Alex likely wouldn't have regardless, but it's probably something Mae's agent deals with ahead of time given the industry.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm with Frankie, you shouldn't just have other parts of tasks on the back of a task!

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Dragonstoned posted:

Finally found the clip, it was Andrew Collins and he was told the same thing by both Alex and Greg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5sCjCePYvg&t=1912s
(around 31:56 if it doesn't auto do it)

You're right they could always just get rid of the rule, but I don't think they're gonna be hurting for guests anytime soon

Richard Herring very publicly and repeatedly asked to be on Taskmaster when he interviewed Greg and Alex for his podcast so I don't think this is really a thing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I do as well, but to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it had been made a condition of their participation. Not to say Greg and Alex likely wouldn't have regardless, but it's probably something Mae's agent deals with ahead of time given the industry.

i think "no misgendering" is a basic condition of everyone's participation but this is british TV so perhaps I should not speak too quickly

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Irisi posted:

Kiell Smith-Bynoe was the star of the episode for me.

as an american i dont watch a lot of british television. i only know this guy from Ghosts, which also is generally a show with a high concentration of taskmaster alumni

anyway i know i'm in trouble with kiell because everything he does makes me laugh, i can't help but see him as his character from Ghosts. i think he's going to have that generally competent, somewhat competitive, but good natured energy that makes a killer contestant, like lou sanders or munya chawawa

ok maybe not quite as competitive as lou sanders

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 31, 2023

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I am amazed they had a task that was a bigger safety nightmare than Rhod with the javelin

nerox
May 20, 2001

Tonfa posted:

I am amazed they had a task that was a bigger safety nightmare than Rhod with the javelin

I am not sure how that task got greenlighted, but we are all better for it. I am just glad Jenny Eclair kept her footing and didn't fall in when she rammed the wall at full speed. BRACE FOR IMPACT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

nerox posted:

I am not sure how that task got greenlighted, but we are all better for it. I am just glad Jenny Eclair kept her footing and didn't fall in when she rammed the wall at full speed. BRACE FOR IMPACT!

I'm amazed no one fell in or got hurt.