Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

lil poopendorfer posted:

If this is about the campaign finance stuff, hasn’t the statute of limitations long since passed? It would have had to have taken place in 2016, and I had read that the statute of limitations for those things is 3-5 years

E: source for the statute of limitations thing
https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/trump-indictment-bragg-legal-case/

Not very familiar with NY law but some states have statues of limitations that pause while you are out of said state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I mean I think at worst, based on the evidence, the FBI is downplaying that Paddock might have had white supremacy tendencies.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is good but a part of me has to go "really? The first one?"

Aside from the obvious—rich and powerful people never face consequences—criminally prosecuting a head of state has serious knock-on effects. Up to this point, we've relied on term limits to flush the worst offenders into irrelevance rather than risk the status quo by going after them.

Add it to the already long list of social taboos Trump's trampled.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I think the general timeline is going to go like this

Next week: Trump is formally arraigned on those 30+ business crimes dealing with bank fraud, tax fraud and tax evasion. Stormy Daniel's hush payments will be lumped into the tax fraud portion. Trump will need to surrender his passport and post a bond.

Next 6-9 months: Various pre-trial hearings, complaints and appeals of process. This could easily get stretched out for a year

9-12 months from now: Trial begins, probably lasting a month.

12-14 months from now: Trump will withdraw during the primaries after anemic results, blaming the various trials and not his general unpopularity with the republican base.

12-14 months from now: Trump convicted on portion of charges.

1-3 years from now: Various appeals are filed, his lawyers doing their best to stall and delay.

After all the appeals are exhausted, Trump will finally face 'jail time'. However, citing his age and his extraordinary circumstances, Trump's lawyers successfully argue for home confinement in his apartment in Trump Tower. Trump also has to pay millions in fines to NY state.

If however at any time between now and the time Trump 'serves' time he dies, all cases are vacated and he will be considered innocent of all crimes. Yes, even if he's convicted and in the middle of the appeals process he would be considered innocent.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No. Once you are arraigned on a charge you have a constitutional right that you must be read the list of charges against you. They will be entered into the record at the point.

Honestly, given that the number of charges already leaked before the indictment had actually been technically announced, I think the charges will probably be public before his arraignment.

Star chamber trials were one of the specifically appalling British practices the founders(and everyone who came after they had happened, being also effectively banned in the magna carta) thought was backwards. Basically if it's a specific early constitutional right either colonial administration, the British, or European courts had been doing it in a way they really didn't like.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
But also other indictments will come in so there'll be multiple overlapping trial processes as well as the election, somehow

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cimber posted:

I think the general timeline is going to go like this

Next week: Trump is formally arraigned on those 30+ business crimes dealing with bank fraud, tax fraud and tax evasion. Stormy Daniel's hush payments will be lumped into the tax fraud portion. Trump will need to surrender his passport and post a bond.

Next 6-9 months: Various pre-trial hearings, complaints and appeals of process. This could easily get stretched out for a year

9-12 months from now: Trial begins, probably lasting a month.

12-14 months from now: Trump will withdraw during the primaries after anemic results, blaming the various trials and not his general unpopularity with the republican base.

12-14 months from now: Trump convicted on portion of charges.

1-3 years from now: Various appeals are filed, his lawyers doing their best to stall and delay.

After all the appeals are exhausted, Trump will finally face 'jail time'. However, citing his age and his extraordinary circumstances, Trump's lawyers successfully argue for home confinement in his apartment in Trump Tower. Trump also has to pay millions in fines to NY state.

If however at any time between now and the time Trump 'serves' time he dies, all cases are vacated and he will be considered innocent of all crimes. Yes, even if he's convicted and in the middle of the appeals process he would be considered innocent.

I'm a living embodiment of Negatron Prime on these things which I freely admit. Trump's entire legal strategy for decades has been "gently caress you, no" on every single last possible piece of paperwork, punctuation, testimony, and deadline, which then gets seventeen motions filed when it is supposed to happen and three appeals when it happens anyway. I don't see it only lasting 1-3 years. Trump has money, and that's what the courts respect.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how they can impanel a jury that won't hang on one juror who refuses to convict their god-king. Even in Manhattan.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm a living embodiment of Negatron Prime on these things which I freely admit. Trump's entire legal strategy for decades has been "gently caress you, no" on every single last possible piece of paperwork, punctuation, testimony, and deadline, which then gets seventeen motions filed when it is supposed to happen and three appeals when it happens anyway. I don't see it only lasting 1-3 years. Trump has money, and that's what the courts respect.

I really do think the courts are wise to this by now and are going to have a very low tolerance for delay tactics. I would not be surprised that because he's running for president they expedite his case. Out of fairness you know.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The New York Young Republicans just put out an absolutely bonkers statement about Trump's indictment and is vowing to organize protests outside of the courthouse next week.

quote:

Today, our nation careens toward tyranny at an unprecedented pace. An impudent cabal of radical figures abandons all propriety in their dogged attacks on President Donald J. Trump. We have taken a decisive step away from the values that define our national character.

Every utterance that has escaped these monsters’ lips since President Trump first came down the escalator has built toward this moment; each falsehood, each misdirection, each deliberate misportrayal found its culmination in Alvin Bragg’s desperate action today.

Radical leftist interests, beholden to an elite, internationalist cabal have taken the unprecedented step of indicting President Donald J. Trump, the leading candidate for the 2024 presidential election.

Every American feels today the solid grasp of the Fifth Column on his throat; henceforth, we must openly acknowledge what so many have long known: that control of our nation’s fate has long been prised from our grasp. Let anyone who celebrates this downfall of our republic be forever branded a traitor to our nation. No one who mocks the people’s will can claim the title of an American.

President Trump embodies the American people—our psyche from id to super-ego—as does no other figure; his soul is totally bonded with our core values and emotions, and he is our total and indisputable champion. This tremendous connection threatens the established order.

The fix has always been “in” against our President, but his motivation and love for the American people drove him to pursue the national excellence that his unique vision perceived lay within our reach. In doing so, he opened so many eyes to reality.

Last summer, in Tampa Florida, addressing a crowd of thousands of youths, President Trump stated that if he backed down from challenging the regime, he would have been left alone. That the regime now sheds the mask of “democracy” and unveils its true and hideous face shows how committed President Trump is to standing with the people. Every American owes him thanks.

Despite our tremendous success holding marquee protests in Manhattan for critical rightwing causes, today we remain at home. Let our silence be a condemnation of the captivity of our nation; a polemic on the state of our republic. We will not allow another Fedsurrection; we will not be pawns in the Deep State’s perpetual effort to delegitimize Americans’ fundamental right of assembly.

President Trump assured us that he was our retribution. Now we must return the rejoinder: our victory will be the joint vindication that our great President Donald J. Trump and our American people both deserve. This is Total War.

https://nyyrc.com/statements/statement-on-president-trumps-indictment/

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I wonder if all the poo poo Trump posts to social media, such as the picture he posted implying he would bash Bragg's head in and posts about mass violence by his supporters are going to force the courts to issue a gag order on him?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Soulbonding with Donald John Trump

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

lil poopendorfer posted:

Losing one’s temper is quite different from planning and executing the largest mass shooting—by a considerable margin—in US history. It’s not like this guy got denied a comped room and then immediately pulled an AR15 out at the hotel front desk.

You’re free to believe what you want. Given the history of the FBI, CIA, and other US alphabet agencies, i view their statements with a high degree of skepticism.

Are you saying you believe the attack was planned by someone else?

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know how they can impanel a jury that won't hang on one juror who refuses to convict their god-king. Even in Manhattan.

This is my concern as well.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

The New York Young Republicans just put out an absolutely bonkers statement about Trump's indictment and is vowing to organize protests outside of the courthouse next week.

I'm having a hard time seeing the difference between this and a cult. Like the language being used is pretty much 1:1

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Are you saying you believe the attack was planned by someone else?

i read it as saying that the trail of evidence is unsatisfying, so to reach an acceptable narrative conclusion it is preferable to just make something up and believe that instead

humans crave closure and we don't always get it. sometimes we just don't have enough information to determine why something happened. might as well just imagine things at that point if it brings us some kind of peace

remembering today how dry these patriots kept their powder between 2008-2016 and how very little resulted from it

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 31, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Aegis posted:

This is my concern as well.

Just as a percentage game, right? In Manhattan, it was 86% Biden, 12% Trump. I think you can be optimistic and say only half the Trump voters are going to be dead-ender enough to refuse to convict under any circumstance. I don't know stats well, but I don't think it's ironclad for winning that gamble 12 times in a row.

If you're the Manhattan DA, you're probably hoping all these people will be unable to keep their traps shut and will proudly announce they stand with the real President Donald Trump and will never convict and get themselves tossed from the pool.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Just as a percentage game, right? In Manhattan, it was 86% Biden, 12% Trump. I think you can be optimistic and say only half the Trump voters are going to be dead-ender enough to refuse to convict under any circumstance. I don't know stats well, but I don't think it's ironclad for winning that gamble 12 times in a row.

If you're the Manhattan DA, you're probably hoping all these people will be unable to keep their traps shut and will proudly announce they stand with the real President Donald Trump and will never convict and get themselves tossed from the pool.

You can guarantee that all the wingnut online meeting places are about to get reallllly into voir dire and jury nullification

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

PostNouveau posted:

Exactly. I don't want to get into any sort of doom spiral about it (maybe the Manhattan DA's office has some absolute masters of voir dire on staff), but my chief worry is that anything short of conviction will be treated as total vindication for Trump, and there is a big pool of folks out there who would never vote to convict, regardless of the strength of the evidence.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

The numbers are a bit better than that when you remember that almost half of people didn’t feel strongly enough to vote.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

PostNouveau posted:

That's the trillion dollar question.

That said the people on the grand jury, regular Americans who have actually seen the evidence and heard the testimony decided that there was sufficient evidence of Trump's guilt to convince another group of regular Americans to convict him.

Now a grand jury decision doesn't have to be unanimous and as far as I know we don't know what the vote spread was so that definitely leaves the possibility of jury nullification but that is part of the design too as it provides a check against unpopular/unjust laws.

This is our system working as designed with checks and balances, this is basically an example of how the United States justice system works under ideal circumstances. Because indicted isn't convicted and Trump will get his day in court and will have representation (I was going to say really good representation but then remembered that he's known for not paying people) but he will definitely have better representation than the average American who ends up in our judicial system.

I think that is the point that the Left, Liberals and Democrats need to be hammering constantly. Braggs didn't indict Trump, the grand jury indicted Trump, a grand jury consisting of regular Americans, which is literally the check against political prosecution. Because the assumption is that if the prosecutors are trying to move on weak or fraudulent evidence the grand jury can refuse to hand down an indictment, kind of like what happened with most of the actual weaponization of the judicial system during the Trump administration.

Of course we all know that a grand jury will generally indict a ham sandwich if a prosecutor asks them to which is why there is the additional check of the jury trial. In which the accused gets the opportunity to undermine, contradict and cross examine all of the evidence and witnesses presented by the prosecution. It's no secret that there are many flaws in our justice system but the vast majority of those flaws are due to the power imbalance between the state and the accused. The average American doesn't have the resources to mount a truly effective defense but Trump isn't an average American he's a rich white dude and the system is designed to protect rich white dudes.

That is why we end up with what is effectively a multi-tiered judicial system those who have the resources to mount a competent defense and those who do not and unsurprisingly this results in far different outcomes.

Trump is in the first group which is of course why many of us are apprehensive about the eventual outcome. That said the Trump organization has already been convicted of felonies so it is certainly possible to find a jury that will convict.

Finally this is just the first and arguably the least serious of legal problems Trump faces, the Georgia case where the evidence is a literal phone call recording where Trump committed the crime in plain language. Then there are the biggies, the documents case where there is clear and blatant evidence that not only did Trump mean to take those documents but also understood that he wasn't supposed to have them and further took deliberate actions to mislead the government in order to maintain possession of said documents. On top of that there's the matter of his efforts to overthrow our democracy as well as the possibility of crimes that aren't already known to the public because you know that what we're seeing is literally the tip of the iceberg of Trump's criminal career.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skex posted:

I think that is the point that the Left, Liberals and Democrats need to be hammering constantly. Braggs didn't indict Trump, the grand jury indicted Trump, a grand jury consisting of regular Americans
Yeah - regular Americans from NEW YORK CITY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmhgtBA16aA

It seems like Trump legal proceedings in NYC will bring large protests, and considering the area's political leanings they're likely to be met with even larger counterprotests. The dynamic doesn't really put me at ease.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I posted in the other thread but my very unstable neighbor who was at January 6th took off last night with her husband in their van in a rush. They are still not back this morning. Not sure what they did with thier kids and their dogs because they were not in the van with them.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1641572247700926465

I would take a thousand Jeff Tiedrichs over this rear end in a top hat.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Nucleic Acids posted:

PPP fraud, she wrote.

Alterian posted:

I posted in the other thread but my very unstable neighbor who was at January 6th took off last night with her husband in their van in a rush. They are still not back this morning. Not sure what they did with thier kids and their dogs because they were not in the van with them.
Yikes. I'm hoping the freak-outs will just be limited to some dumb little protests where they sit in lawn chairs. It seems Jan 6 overall chastened a lot of them.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 31, 2023

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Nucleic Acids posted:

George Soros wept

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

Remembering today how dry these patriots kept their powder between 2008-2016 and how very little resulted from it

I'm thinking of that NYC library drag queen read from a month ago where the Proud Boys had to get police escort away from the event because almost all of NYC showed up and started bricking them. New York is a hostile environment for chuds, unless they wear a badge or venture out of lower Manhattan.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

lil poopendorfer posted:

The man responsible for the largest mass shooting in US history did it because he wasn’t getting enough perks from the casino? This is the dumbest poo poo I ever read. although I suppose the type of person who is gonna believe the findings from the Warren commission is credulous enough to believe this

FYI: The article does not say it was because of perks from a casino. They say that his motive is still unclear, but that during the investigation they found out he was upset about it.

Please make sure you are giving an accurate summary of the article.

quote:

While investigators concluded that the motive of Stephen Paddock was unclear, newly released records include an account that he was angry about the casinos’ treatment of wealthy clients.

quote:

The man who fatally shot 60 people at an outdoor music festival in Las Vegas in 2017 had been angry over what he saw as casinos scaling back on perks for V.I.P. gamblers like himself, according to an account provided to the F.B.I.

The newly released F.B.I. records fall short of answering the lingering question of why the gunman, Stephen Paddock, opened fire on a country music concert crowd on the Las Vegas Strip from his perch on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. By the time the authorities arrived at his suite, Mr. Paddock, 64, had killed himself, leaving no suicide note or any other indication of a motive.

quote:

Investigators and behavioral analysts at the F.B.I. similarly concluded in 2019 that they could not determine a “single or clear motivating factor” behind the attack. Investigators said it appeared that Mr. Paddock had wanted to die by suicide, after experiencing a decline in physical and mental health.

quote:

The newly released reports of F.B.I. interviews with people who knew or interacted with Mr. Paddock, made public in recent days, shed some new light on what has long been known about his obsessive, high-roller gambling habits and his state of mind before he unleashed a barrage of gunfire from his hotel window.

Mr. Paddock, who sometimes spent up to 18 hours a day gambling in various hotels, “was very upset at the way casinos were treating him and other high rollers,” one gambler told the F.B.I.

quote:

Mr. Paddock’s planning for the attack appeared to have been methodical, law enforcement investigations have shown. He had been stockpiling weapons for about a year, all purchased legally, and researching event venues, with internet searches such as “biggest open air concert venues in USA.” He had a hotel reservation in August, two months before the attack, in a room that overlooked the Lollapalooza music festival in Chicago. After settling on Las Vegas as his target, he spent days carrying an arsenal of guns into the hotel across the street from the Route 91 Harvest music festival.

Mr. Paddock had grown wealthy over the years from buying and selling apartment complexes around the country, the agents wrote, information that was also previously known. He and his family sold a complex in Texas in 2012, the F.B.I. said in one document, and Mr. Paddock used the proceeds to “buy dozens of weapons that were ultimately used in the shooting.”

The F.B.I. reported scrutinizing a series of letters involving Mr. Paddock that were said to have been found in a vacant office building in Texas. The details of the letters were not disclosed, and while F.B.I. agents worked to authenticate them, the new documents do not detail their conclusions.

One person who reported being a business acquaintance of Mr. Paddock told agents that in 2016, about a year before the shooting, Mr. Paddock was stockpiling money and was “mad at the system.” While large portions of this and other sections of the interview notes were redacted, the former acquaintance reported that Mr. Paddock had been fascinated by the Oklahoma City bombing that killed 168 people in 1995 and “thought ADOLF HITLER was a good man.”

The man, who spoke to agents in the days after the attacks, described apparent “threats” of some kind from Mr. Paddock — the nature of which is not detailed in the documents — but he did not take them seriously until May 2017, a few months before the Las Vegas shooting. It was unclear from the records what the man did after that or how agents handled the information.

Investigators have said that Mr. Paddock had no connections to terrorist or hate groups, and no criminal record. They found that while his wealth had diminished before the attacks, he was not in debt.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 31, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

PostNouveau posted:

It'll be interesting to see because Trump is guilty. Anyone other than him would have been dead to rights years ago. He has only escaped this (aside from being rich) because he was the president and there is just this vague vibe that they have immunity, but there isn't any actual legal basis to that. So the only way to really kill it would be to basically engage in attempted jury nullification.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It'll be interesting to see because Trump is guilty. Anyone other than him would have been dead to rights years ago. He has only escaped this (aside from being rich) because he was the president and there is just this vague vibe that they have immunity, but there isn't any actual legal basis to that. So the only way to really kill it would be to basically engage in attempted jury nullification.
Jury nullification has been a repeated thing in cases against far-right people (e.g. Ammon Bundy). I really wouldn't count it out.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

You can keep this to yourself just FYI

Try to keep the one sentence posting about posting/white noise stuff to a minimum please. At least include some content and address the argument directly if you want to dunk on someone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cat botherer posted:

Jury nullification has been a repeated thing in cases against far-right people (e.g. Ammon Bundy). I really wouldn't count it out.

IIRC jury nullification was widely used to let murderers off for lynchings, it's always been a double edged sword.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC jury nullification was widely used to let murderers off for lynchings, it's always been a double edged sword.

You are correct, the whole concept of a Lynching was to share culpability across the possible jury pool

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Young Freud posted:

I'm thinking of that NYC library drag queen read from a month ago where the Proud Boys had to get police escort away from the event because almost all of NYC showed up and started bricking them. New York is a hostile environment for chuds, unless they wear a badge or venture out of lower Manhattan.
Regular ol' New Yorkers, savin' the day by throwing garbage like the Roosevelt Island tram riders in Raimi's Spider-Man.

Also, although ACAB applies there as much as anywhere else, I would guess that given its diversity, the NYPD may actually lean Democratic among its rank-and-file (in a very centrist, coppy way of course), and is more hostile to white supremacy. That could inhibit the ability of groups like the PB to operate there and get the favorable treatment they've come to expect from cops.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Mellow Seas posted:

Regular ol' New Yorkers, savin' the day by throwing garbage like the Roosevelt Island tram riders in Raimi's Spider-Man.

Also, although ACAB applies there as much as anywhere else, I would guess that given its diversity, the NYPD may actually lean Democratic among its rank-and-file (in a very centrist, coppy way of course), and is more hostile to white supremacy. That could inhibit the ability of groups like the PB to operate there and get the favorable treatment they've come to expect from cops.

There are multiple videos of the NYPD running over black protestors and the fascists that crashed the Drag event got a personal guard to take them out of the counter-protest. The facts do not support your hypothesis.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cops, even nonwhite cops, are natural allies to fascists. Those who aren't do not stay cops, or stay alive, for long.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

I am a math nerd, and if we use your assumption that 6% of the potential members of a Trump jury will be dead-ender Trump fanatics who will never vote to convict him for anything, then the odds that 12 random people from that pool will not have one of those crazy people is just 47.6% (That is 0.94^12)

Although, glass half-full, it isn't random, the prosecutors will presumably research everyone picked for jury duty and kick off everyone who is an obvious Trump fanatic.

Glass half-empty though, if NY can trim it down to just 1% of potential jurors being Trump fanatics, there's still about an 11% chance that the jury will have a crazy person on it

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Would be great if at 4pm we get news that Fani Willis is indicting trump.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Fox News HQ also doesnt have a constant coat of poo poo and piss. or have its food catering or order-in be constant poo poo and piss.

or taxi apps havent soft blacklisted workers they know are FN workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Jesus, these peoples still believe that all the opposition to DJT comes from elites at the top of gov't and media and that all normal Americans are actually still totally on their side but are just being silenced/cowed. AKA, the Silent MajorityTM. They just cannot wrap their heads around the idea that the majority of Americans just do not like Trump or, at the very least, don't care about him.