Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

its very normal to pay for a brand new grand wagoneer, economy must be humming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

goddamn this whole thread is dire, but jfc

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1641799722418556931

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

is this guns or fentanyl or what

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtMGttIMb_4

Comfy

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

id pay whatever to get that mcintosh system in my RIDE

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

from the article:

quote:

These young deaths are caused overwhelmingly by external causes — overdoses, gun violence, dangerous driving and such — which are deeply embedded social problems involving groups with opposing interests. Far trickier to tackle than most health issues where everyone is pulling in one direction.

Almost every country in the world took a mortality hit during the pandemic. Developed nations for the most part are bouncing back, but the US is not. If Covid-19 had never happened, life expectancy in other developed countries would have remained flat or increased, but the US would still have lost a year due to the surge in violent deaths. By my calculations, Americans lost 9.4 million years of life to external causes in 2021 alone, more than the 9.1mn lost to Covid over the course of the entire pandemic. And these deaths continue to rise.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Chad Sexington posted:

those and https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1641799804727574529

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

covid

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

quote:

The result is that the US is the only developed country where even if you strip out all Covid deaths, life expectancy still dropped by a year since 2019
:prepop:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

from the article:

What are the "opposing interests" to drug overdoses & car accidents? This sounds like a lazy construct.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

What are the "opposing interests" to drug overdoses & car accidents? This sounds like a lazy construct.

well he can't say "...such as my employer and their sponsors"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Some people get paid every two weeks instead of bimonthly and get three paychecks a month twice a year. nice of them to account for that

i get paid once a month, on the 25th

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

pharma lobby/industry + hating the poors for the former, and insane US car culture/transportation system for the latter? doesn't seem like that bad of shorthand if obscurant

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the overall terrible state of health care, poor classification of covid deaths, and general economic environment are all there with covid itself, fentanyl, gun violence/suicide, etc

USA

USA

USA

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Young Americans are being told quite openly by their social betters that they have no future worth living for, and they're reacting appropriately.

Apr 7, 2003

I've seen some hollering about how the young aren't participating in the labor force. Why the gently caress would you do any more than the bare minimum to get by when it's been made quite clear to you that you'll never be able to afford a house, a family, or stability no matter how hard you work?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

selling a far greater proportion of smaller, safer vehicles would measurably have a negative impact on gdp

just like if every American suddenly went from consuming ~3,700 kcal/day to say 2,800kcal.

drug overdoses is trickier to account for with the "opposing interests" framing alone

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

more like some classes will have half their entire cohort dead

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
This is literally what happened to the Soviet union when he usa totally didn't invade after the USSR collapse

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
clearly subliminal killings from tiktok

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I've seen some hollering about how the young aren't participating in the labor force. Why the gently caress would you do any more than the bare minimum to get by when it's been made quite clear to you that you'll never be able to afford a house, a family, or stability no matter how hard you work?

honor?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Willa Rogers posted:

We were talking about some of them on this very page. We're routinely selling people with little or no formal driving training vehicles that weigh more than three tons, lack the visibility to see even normal-sized cars (let alone pedestrians and children), and can accelerate faster than sports cars from just three or four generations ago. The US auto industry is hugely opposed to reducing fatalities from road accidents because their entire business model is based on selling killing machines.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Actually
https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1641749680043458560?t=rAQpL6aa38h0YsZMRa5QNQ&s=19

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

also the part of the ACA that was struck down yesterday had mandated coverage of suicide ideation screenings, depression / anxiety screenings, etc

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The last time I drove a Tahoe (not the biggest of the truck-based SUVs by far) a cyclist literally vanished alongside me, and I'm tall enough that my head was nearly touching the ceiling in that car. There was nothing I could have done, no seating position, no combination of looking in my mirrors, that would have allowed me to see him. I only knew he was there because I saw the approach, and then he was gone.

We literally sell people murder machines every day.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Paradoxish posted:

We were talking about some of them on this very page. We're routinely selling people with little or no formal driving training vehicles that weigh more than three tons, lack the visibility to see even normal-sized cars (let alone pedestrians and children), and can accelerate faster than sports cars from just three or four generations ago. The US auto industry is hugely opposed to reducing fatalities from road accidents because their entire business model is based on selling killing machines.

this is purely :tinfoil: but I wonder if endless COVID infections has affected people's driving. purely anecdotal but it seems like people as a whole have become worse drivers specific to reckless choices. speeding has gotten so bad where I live that the local pigs need to announce they're setting up speed traps on the highways, yet people still speed and do stupid poo poo.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

This is literally what happened to the Soviet union when he usa totally didn't invade after the USSR collapse

We really are in a communist dystopia!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

The last time I drove a Tahoe (not the biggest of the truck-based SUVs by far) a cyclist literally vanished alongside me, and I'm tall enough that my head was nearly touching the ceiling in that car. There was nothing I could have done, no seating position, no combination of looking in my mirrors, that would have allowed me to see him. I only knew he was there because I saw the approach, and then he was gone.

We literally sell people murder machines every day.

you expect parents to drive their brood around with a minivan?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

- rock and roll/rap music
- blue jeans (too baggy)
- violent video games

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Louisgod posted:

this is purely :tinfoil: but I wonder if endless COVID infections has affected people's driving. purely anecdotal but it seems like people as a whole have become worse drivers specific to reckless choices. speeding has gotten so bad where I live that the local pigs need to announce they're setting up speed traps on the highways, yet people still speed and do stupid poo poo.

I think it's a contribution but the pandemic also made people a lot more lovely to each other

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Louisgod posted:

here in Phoenix, for years before covid we had a lot of wrong-way drivers, because... I dunno the loving sun?

was surreal the first time I had someone driving at me on a highway onramp

looking back and considering that waze or uber was testing their self-driving cars here and killed some people, I wonder how much of it was lovely FSD betas

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Drive car fast and dumb is fun

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Louisgod posted:

It absolutely has op.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Drive car fast and dumb is fun

why can't fun things not have externalities dammit

Apr 7, 2003

There are people here rolling their cars over in completely flat 25mph commercial streets lol

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Louisgod posted:

idk if it's the covid infection itself causing drivers to be worse, but it fits in the trend of "post" covid anti social behavior

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Louisgod posted:

100% op
though imho it’s gotten a bit better lately

2021-2022 was a horror show on the roads

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Louisgod posted:

The last 2.5-3 years have been absolutely insane on the auto repair side. Used to, spring/summer were moderately busy with a heavy uptick in winter. It's been non stop since winter of 2020.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Tempora Mutantur posted:

here in Phoenix, for years before covid we had a lot of wrong-way drivers, because... I dunno the loving sun?

was surreal the first time I had someone driving at me on a highway onramp

looking back and considering that waze or uber was testing their self-driving cars here and killed some people, I wonder how much of it was lovely FSD betas

I watched a guy get on the 60 going the wrong way. took him like 30 seconds then he slammed on the brakes.

no idea how it’s such a big problem here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

lying flat movement ftw