Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

My 3080 founders edition I got 111 days after release has been a good purchase, but going to the new Alienware HDR OLED ultra wide is straining it a bit in some games and it seems like the smallish amount of VRAM may become an issue soon.

New games are super VRAM heavy and it helps a ton in VR and VRchat as well.

I wonder if it had more than 10gb VRAM if the Diablo 4 beta would have stuttered. (On high texture settings) dropping it to medium made it run smooth until I forgot I was discord streaming it once.

It's a different time than the past when you could laugh at AMD throwing in VRAM just to make at least one of their numbers bigger for pretty much no reason.
That’s pretty concerning if your 3080 10GB stuttered and my 4070 Ti 12GB did not in D4 (although I’m at 16:9), meaning 12GB is barely enough for Act 1 and possibly not enough for later areas that are more graphically intensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

K8.0 posted:

They can't hang limitless weight off a bracket at one end and a PCIE slot. GPUs either need to get smaller (not happening) or supports are going to become more and more standard.

In this particular instance the support bracket attaches at the back where the card’s regular case mounting bracket is and it has a little foot on a metal track that supports the far end of the GPU. Attaching it turns a 2.5-3 slot card into a 3.5-4 slot card. If the bracket is mandatory then either the card should be advertised as being the slot height it will be with the bracket attached, or the bracket should be integrated into the card somehow.

The idea that customers should be responsible for the card’s structural unsoundness is kinda bullshit in my opinion. The idea of them being “lenient” about providing warranty coverage is laughable.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

change my name posted:

Everyone should just build sandwich-style ITX so your GPU stands on its side

reposting <crysisVoice>M A X I M U M S T U P I D</crysisVoice>

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Qubee posted:

I would like to buy a new GPU, I currently have a GTX 1080. It is no longer capable of running certain games at a good enough quality. What would people suggest I get? Budget isn't an issue, but I hate wasting money. I don't want to spend $200 extra for %2 extra juice. What card can I upgrade to that has the best bang for your buck? I'm also disappointed in nvidias antics lately, so I might try supporting AMD? But I'm so used to nvidia cards.

Get a 6700XT.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m going to have two 3440x1440 displays soon, stacked one atop the other. The bottom is OLED, and the top is not. Will I ever be happy doing anything (movie, game) that spans the two of them or is there really no way to get them similar enough?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 6700 XT is not that much faster than the 1080, and I don't think it would be worth the money if that's what you're upgrading from. I'd aim for something higher end, personally. A 6800 XT or used 3080 might be worthwhile if you can find some good deals. The 10GB of the original 3080 might be getting stretched thin in some newer games though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I’m going to have two 3440x1440 displays soon, stacked one atop the other. The bottom is OLED, and the top is not. Will I ever be happy doing anything (movie, game) that spans the two of them or is there really no way to get them similar enough?

it should be possible to get perceptually matched calibrations. but spanning monitors is mostly a gimmick, and spanning two monitors on top of each other seems especially gimmicky and pointless except in maybe flight simulators where the top monitor can be used for the windshield and the bottom monitor your instruments.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The 6700 XT is not that much faster than the 1080, and I don't think it would be worth the money if that's what you're upgrading from.

Thank you, I meant to write 6800XT.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
I mean at some point wouldn't it make more sense to store other components inside your GPU?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

it should be possible to get perceptually matched calibrations. but spanning monitors is mostly a gimmick, and spanning two monitors on top of each other seems especially gimmicky and pointless except in maybe flight simulators where the top monitor can be used for the windshield and the bottom monitor your instruments.

But think of how big Elden Ring could be if only I didn’t mind the 3” of bezel in the centerline!

I’m glad to hear that equivalent calibration is possible. I wasn’t sure if OLED-vs-not would make that a fool’s errand.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

tima posted:

I mean at some point wouldn't it make more sense to store other components inside your GPU?
Given the massive amount of heat output that is making these GPUs so huge and heavy in the first place, just water cool them instead so you can put all the weight somewhere else in the case.

I've been custom loop water cooling my GPUs + CPUs for like 5+ years now, totally worth it for the quiet but also doesn't require any extra brackets or supports since all the weight is in the pump and radiators that are securely mounted to hard points in the case.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Indiana_Krom posted:

Given the massive amount of heat output that is making these GPUs so huge and heavy in the first place, just water cool them instead so you can put all the weight somewhere else in the case.

I've been custom loop water cooling my GPUs + CPUs for like 5+ years now, totally worth it for the quiet but also doesn't require any extra brackets or supports since all the weight is in the pump and radiators that are securely mounted to hard points in the case.

Or even get/make a radiator stand and have an external radiator/pump/reso combo:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Craptacular! posted:

Get a 6700XT.

It's not enough of an uplift. The base 6800 is the minimum I'd consider worthwhile.

Edit: sorry you mentioned 6800 XT. Good card, but it costs more than a 6800 and is less power efficient, but it's a decent choice. I genuinely think the regular 6800 is way too overlooked

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Ok my guess here is that TLOU uses some form of motion matching for their character motion. In a nutshell, that technique frequently polls the character's current animation pose and the player's desired movement trajectory to choose the next appropriate frame of animation. It allows for some really high quality animation at the cost of performance and quality stability.

I'm guessing DLSS ruined the polling rate or screwed something up. In my experience with Motion Matching it is notoriously fragile and if a setting is off you get those kindo f animation glitches

EDIT:

Oh look it does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdAd-NSkiSA

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 31, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lHiGlAWxio

don't use ultra settings on a card with 8GB or less of VRAM

The 1080p High performance numbers aren't great either, but there isn't a big drop off for 8GB cards

Also Steve didn't benchmark more GPUs because just with this list he estimates he wasted 10 hours compiling shaders.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

tima posted:

they should just make the whole computer out of gpu

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

they should just make the whole computer out of gpu

In a way that's really what a console is :hmmyes:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
drat, all this to render a prestige TV show with little more than a few quick time events

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Been a long time GPU megathread but I felt it appropriate to go back to where I used to post dumb poo poo like this.

I've been using a Coolermaster NR200 mitx case for years - which I love. Over that time I've crammed things into it that shouldn't go in. Side panels are permanently gone for airflow and to make way to screw stuff to the outside.

Today I got my first 4090. I knew it'd be big but, I'm guessing like many others, I was shocked. I was almost defeated but I disassembled the entire case and built it around the card and it fits. It's so tight the GPU is now the structural center of the rest of the case. Also I didn't have enough power so I added a second PSU I had laying around... I've never used two PSUs to run one card before and not sure how I feel about it. For the first time building computers I feel like I did something wrong and I've done some really questionable things before.

Anyways hope you're all doing well :)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The more I think about it the more I am lol'in at the thought that Nvidia knew the next gen consoles would eventually start requiring huge amounts of VRAM and intentionally capped the VRAM on their own cards in a way that basically equates to forced and premature obsolescence.

It's always been so confusing the way that Nvidia has, despite incredibly pushback, has gone out of their way to not slap a little more RAM on their cards. And sure, maybe they're just cheap, but that strategic play makes so much more sense when viewed in this context.

They may not have known that this specific scenario would unfold this way but the overall strategy of capping VRAM makes so much sense from a general corporate revenue generation standpoint...

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nvidia doesn't care if their cards are obsolete in a year. What are you gonna do, not buy a new graphics card?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Yeah. The extra genius part imo is that VRAM isn't making TLOU unplayable; you can run it just fine, albeit at lower texture settings.

That way it sounds benign but it hits gamers exactly where it hurts because it just feels bad in a way that prods you to upgrade methodically. It's a psychological play that is frankly kind of genius, if they planned it that way.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The curse of the "Sliders must always go to the right". The only one to blame is those with disposable income anyway.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
finally giving people a basic number like vram to pick a gpu by probably isn't great either

easier than going by benchmarks

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

don't use ultra settings on a card with 8GB or less of VRAM

Buddy, I can barely use High settings on my 3080 with 10gb of VRAM. I have to run it at DLSS 1080p upscaled to 4K, and even then it constantly dips down to 30fps and still crashes ("thankfully" just once each half hour now).

I'm tempted to just cap it at 24fps and pretend it's an actual movie.

edit: also several hours in on the hardest difficulty and I haven't fired a bullet yet, just punching/choking the poo poo out of everything, which at least gets along with the low framerates.

The animation really feels delayed but I guess that's how the game was in the first place; it feels like a half second between pressing a directly and going that way. Warframe this ain't.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 31, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

The animation really feels delayed but I guess that's how the game was in the first place; it feels like a half second between pressing a directly and going that way. Warframe this ain't.

This is just how the game plays. The PS3, PS4, and PS5 versions all played like this too, as does TLOU Part 2. I got used to it after a while, but I think it lends itself to controller play better than KBM.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's a tension between responsive controls and natural looking animation, if you let the player move like doomguy then you can't really make the animations look physically plausible

games like RDR2 and TLOU lean hard into making the animation look natural at the expense of responsiveness

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's something I really like when it's done well, your character having a sense of weight can do a lot to ground you in the environment. TLOU2 does an even better job at balancing realistic animation with good controls. RE4 remake is somewhat similar, Leon's body has a bit of momentum that you have to overcome when changing direction, and he moves in heavy halting footsteps rather than gliding along the floor.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Branch Nvidian posted:

This is just how the game plays. The PS3, PS4, and PS5 versions all played like this too, as does TLOU Part 2. I got used to it after a while, but I think it lends itself to controller play better than KBM.

Yeah I'm on an Xbox pad and it still feels like mush. It feels like there's at least some frames of animation before they even begin moving, maybe because the game is struggling so hard to render, and/or they added a few frames as a buffer for some reason. I have V-Sync off on all my games too because input lag bothers me more that tearing.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

1gnoirents posted:

Been a long time GPU megathread but I felt it appropriate to go back to where I used to post dumb poo poo like this.

I just want to say this is magnificent. Bravo, sir :golfclap:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

repiv posted:

there's a tension between responsive controls and natural looking animation, if you let the player move like doomguy then you can't really make the animations look physically plausible

games like RDR2 and TLOU lean hard into making the animation look natural at the expense of responsiveness

Everybody passes around the wisdom based on scale that Doomguy runs at 57mph, but they can't explain the fact that he outruns his own rockets.

Doomguy does about 500mph, given that he can fire a rocket and then sprint to pass it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Twerk from Home posted:

Everybody passes around the wisdom based on scale that Doomguy runs at 57mph, but they can't explain the fact that he outruns his own rockets.

Doomguy does about 500mph, given that he can fire a rocket and then sprint to pass it.

Or Doom rockets are just incredibly slow.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

wolrah posted:

Or Doom rockets are just incredibly slow.

Oh man in Doom 3 I modified the rocket launcher to:

Shotgun blast out 8 miniature rockets that moved at, roughly, a walking pace.
Only detonated when they hit flesh (whether monster or your own) so they bounced around the environment.

It was like some hosed up three dimensional anti-pong. Do not let the rocket hit you, or you're in for a world of hurt. It was dumb as hell, but also hilarious.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

1gnoirents posted:

Today I got my first 4090. I knew it'd be big but, I'm guessing like many others, I was shocked. I was almost defeated but I disassembled the entire case and built it around the card and it fits. It's so tight the GPU is now the structural center of the rest of the case. Also I didn't have enough power so I added a second PSU I had laying around... I've never used two PSUs to run one card before and not sure how I feel about it. For the first time building computers I feel like I did something wrong and I've done some really questionable things before.

That is really silly but I love it. What kind of PSU and CPU do you have? Isn't there some sort of SFX PSU that would work?

Zero VGS posted:

Buddy, I can barely use High settings on my 3080 with 10gb of VRAM. I have to run it at DLSS 1080p upscaled to 4K, and even then it constantly dips down to 30fps and still crashes ("thankfully" just once each half hour now).

I'm tempted to just cap it at 24fps and pretend it's an actual movie.

How much RAM do you have? I've heard it doesn't like 16GB.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

as someone who crammed an NH-D15S into an NCase m1, this is very good poo poo

you should post it in the SFF thread where it belongs

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

repiv posted:

And they are worse off for it. I love RDR2 but it controls like utter dogshit because of Rockstar's insistence on absolute animation realism.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i can understand doing it in a survival horror game where having to deal with realistic momentum can add to the tension, but yeah in something like RDR2 it's mainly form over function

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

repiv posted:

Returnal strikes a nice mix, you can pinball around rooms super fast and it looks pretty reasonable IMO

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

One thing Bethesda actually does well. In Skyrim my dude moves like an extension of my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Someone came up with a tool to record cinematic third-person gameplay of classic doom last year and it looks great but also incredibly weird: https://youtu.be/rDjz23CYcm0