Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Anti-Bunny posted:

Florida nothing, it's expensive to live in Orlando, median rent is still $1520 so that's half of their pay before taxes.

Tourist areas are loving expensive. At one point in life I was looking at the Pigeon Forge/Sevierville area and housing is ridiculous because everything is a rental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I noticed that WDW has extended evening hours for MK or Epcot but it's for deluxe resort guests only.

How do they enforce this? Do you have to tap in for every ride? If I didn't want to go on rides, could I just walk around the park for a bit and not get tossed out?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Jose Oquendo posted:

I noticed that WDW has extended evening hours for MK or Epcot but it's for deluxe resort guests only.

How do they enforce this? Do you have to tap in for every ride? If I didn't want to go on rides, could I just walk around the park for a bit and not get tossed out?

Generally there’s someone scanning magic bands at the ride entrances. If you wanted to just walk around I don’t think anyone would bother you. I think they’re more strict with the hard ticket events you get wristbands for like the holiday parties and paid after hours events, but I don’t think anyone will care if your just enjoying the park at night.

Fantasyland at night is my second favorite Disney area at nighttime after Carsland.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

skipdogg posted:

Generally there’s someone scanning magic bands at the ride entrances. If you wanted to just walk around I don’t think anyone would bother you. I think they’re more strict with the hard ticket events you get wristbands for like the holiday parties and paid after hours events, but I don’t think anyone will care if your just enjoying the park at night.

Fantasyland at night is my second favorite Disney area at nighttime after Carsland.

Carsland is so awesome at night. I was really sad that I didn't get to enjoy my last time out there. The weather was so lovely all week, we spent most of our time just darting between rides and covered spots. Didn't really get to just look around and soak things in.

One of the nights it wasn't raining but it wasn't cold, so towards the end of the night, Fantasyland at DLR was totally empty. It was such a weird different vibe. If I can I'll definitely try to check out WDW Fantasyland at night. I figure if Epcot is open late that's cool too since they'll have the Food and Wine thing going on too.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
For the after hours stuff except for the parties, yes you can just stay in the park. You can walk around and spend money, you just can't do the attractions.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 26, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
All that was extremely confusing to me because I had no idea how exactly the park "closes" without actually closing anything. In Paris the shops stay open for ages after the rides are closed, and the closer they are to the hotels the longer they stay open, so it wasn't at all clear to me what the difference was in Florida. Didn't really hamper our trip any though.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Basically every large theme park keeps shops open for at least an hour after posted closing time. It’s not just to get you to spend money, it also keeps security sane because it lets people leave at their own pace till crowds have dwindled enough that forcing out the remainder is actually manageable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think part of my problem was that due to the limited hours for the last trip I noticed the stores closing down at around the same time as the rides were for the parks I happened to be in, but I didn't make the connection between "park's closed" and "no really park's closed". Part of the weirdness of park hopping, limited extra hours after closing, and the reservation system is it wasn't even really worth keeping track of where I could get an extra few minutes in the parks because it was random if the park we were going to was going to be one of those parks anyway.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

skipdogg posted:

I was out at Disneyland for work a few years back around Xmas. Carsland all lit up at night for the holidays was very cool.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I still have never managed to ride Radiator Springs at night. Look good as hell, though.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Discount for WDW dropped this morning.

25% off on resort rooms most stays between 7/11 - 8/20 and 9/15 - 9/28

30% off most resort stays between 8/21 - 9/14.

Excludes 3 bed villas, the bungalows at Poly, and the cabins at Copper Creek.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So this is what they meant by “never gently caress with the mouse”.

https://twitter.com/HazenWESH/status/1641090066951831554

https://twitter.com/HazenWESH/status/1641096199049494528

Also despite still being in the stage of “we should hire some lawyers” these chucklefucks are already talking about going to SCOTUS.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 29, 2023

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
So basically right before DeSantis’ hand-picked committee members took over, the old Reedy Creek board passed some motions saying “the following is how it will be for the next thirty years and no later votes can modify any part of it”? And now new-RCID is going to war with old-RCID trying to challenge the measures passed previously, as the Florida government hires as many lawyers as possible?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

these smoothbrains screech "go woke go broke" but in Deathsantis' Florida, you pay out the rear end for lawyers hoping to go to SCOTUS to mollify some authoritarian babies you put on the board

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seeing one of those "untouchable for the next X years" clauses used against them finally is hilarious.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I figured they’d do something along those lines, there was no way Disney was going to let Desantis install a bunch of his cronies and they actually have any power.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I knew there was a reason Disney didn't seem to care about this. They'll just outwait DeSantis and eventually someone will quietly put things back the way there were in a few years. YDFWTM

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Getting to the Supreme Court would be an incredibly bad idea for DeSantus, because Disney would just lay poo poo out for weeks and he loses on first amendment grounds while looking bad for trying.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
An attorney responded to the WESH guy's report with this:

quote:

Earlier this year, Disney and Reedy Creek entered into a Development Agreement, which is a statutorily authorized agreement that, among other things, can say that existing land regulations will be frozen in place for up to 30 years. It's perfectly legal for a local gov to adopt land development regulations that grant wide latitude to landowners.

So Reedy Creek, having already granted Disney wide latitude through its regulations, froze those lax regulations in place. This was done at public hearings. There are things the legislature and the District could try to reduce the effect, and the District certainly has more powers than just those frozen by this Agreement, but it looks solid. Disney had all their "i"s dotted and "t"s crossed on this thing.

I feel a little silly that I didn't discuss this possibility earlier this year, but I had assumed that if something like this was being considered, someone would have noticed with all the attention directed at the District.

Whoops.

Likely the board still has it's tax powers, but Disney gave itself building permits and other administrative needs for the next 30 years while on the way out the door.

I would imagine that courts, even GOP-friendly ones, are likely to punt that if the board doesn't like the contract, then the board already has the power to agree to implode the district and doing so would nullify that contract. DeSantis just wants to really avoid doing that because it would put the district's debt on taxpayers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know if it was speculation or the actual law, but I had seen talk that actually removing the district would require a vote from the landowners (who are exclusively Disney I think?) and that's one of the other reasons DeSantis changed it instead of blowing it up.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Board member Ron Peri:
"I cannot tell you the level of my disappointment in Disney. I thought so much better of them. This essentially makes Disney the government. This board loses, for practical purposes, the majority of its ability to do anything beyond maintain the roads and maintain basic infrastructure."

Disney representative:
"All agreements signed between Disney and the district were appropriate, and were discussed and approved in the open, noticed public forums in compliance with Florida's Government in the Sunshine law."

DeSantis spokesperson:
"The Executive Office of the Governor is aware of Disney’s last-ditch efforts to execute contracts just before ratifying the new law that transfers rights and authorities from the former Reedy Creek Improvement District to Disney. An initial review suggests these agreements may have significant legal infirmities that would render the contracts void as a matter of law. We are pleased the new Governor-appointed board retained multiple financial and legal firms to conduct audits and investigate Disney’s past behavior."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Craptacular! posted:

Also despite still being in the stage of “we should hire some lawyers” these chucklefucks are already talking about going to SCOTUS.

I know that SCOTUS is a joke right now, but historically the court really doesn’t like it if you slack off in the lower courts and expect the highest court in the land to just bail you out.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Okay I did not see Disney deploying the Wisconsin GOP's playbook, and I definitely didn't see them tying it to the House of Windsor. That's that good poo poo.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/NPapantonisWFTV/status/1641549442124853257

In other news, the limits RCID gave Disney are equal to the entire site plan for the next ten years,so the rights to a fifth gate were signed away.

RCID also now has no authority to dictate building limits, it was put in writing that the maximum height was whatever the FAA allows.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Lol, meanwhile we have Ronnie out here saying that all of this was about political vengeance and nothing else. Don’t even have to dig through emails for that one. There’s a reason why Disney told Ron he needed a deeper legal bench for this fight.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Disney knows revenge is a dish best served cold, with a swirl of Dole Whip

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bottom Liner posted:

Lol, meanwhile we have Ronnie out here saying that all of this was about political vengeance and nothing else. Don’t even have to dig through emails for that one. There’s a reason why Disney told Ron he needed a deeper legal bench for this fight.
Of course he's saying it. Political vengeance is why he started this fight.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Of course he's saying it. Political vengeance is why he started this fight.

Yeah, which will be a bullet in his foot as soon as he tries to take any of this to court.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://abc13.com/disney-challenge-theme-park-disneyland-rides/13030348/

LOS ANGELES -- An Atlanta man was brainstorming vacation options when he came up with an idea for the ultimate Disney adventure.

Nathan Firesheets, 34, is an audiovisual system engineer and programmer and he loves theme parks.

Firesheets is no stranger to theme park challenges, but he recently completed an extensive one focused just on Disney attractions: He rode every operating ride at all 12 Disney parks around the world in just 12 days.

"It was a lot," said Firesheets. "Looking back on it, I'm like 'I can't believe I just did that.' It's just so insane. So much travel, so much park stuff, but it was really an incredible experience. Tons of fun."

He called it the Disney global challenge and Firesheets said he took about a month to plan it. In just 12 days he visited all the parks: Paris, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Anaheim and Orlando.

He began the challenge March 8 and completed it March 19. More than 20,000 miles around the world, and yes, the 12 days included travel time. Firesheets said on average he got about four to six hours of sleep a night.

"Some of it is just dealing with the exhaustion," Firesheets said. "Dealing with some frustration with some ride things, there were some weather issues. Definitely the lowest point was sleeping through all my alarms in California and just having that day get off to just the wrong foot."

In all, Firesheets rode 216 rides and videotaped himself on every one. He documented his journey on Twitter with photos. He said the amazing cast members and the support he received in-person and online along the way were the highlights of the trip.

"Absolutely, the cast members really made the trip what it was," Firesheets said. "All that support and encouragement was super tremendous. I don't think I could have gotten through some of the lower points without everybody going, 'You can do it. Come on.' It was really fantastic to have all that encouragement and support."

When asked which was his favorite park, he said nothing beats the original happiest place in the world.

"I am a classic Disneyland fan," Firesheets said. "It's got the most history. It's the only park that Walt actually walked in. It still has 11 opening day attractions. There's so much history, nostalgia. It's not super spread out, and it's got another park a couple hundred feet away."

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dang what a terrible way to "enjoy" the parks, blow a lot of cash, and get attention

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nathan Firesheets

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He said it cost him $12k. That's like a week and tickets at the Grand Floridian.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

he must’ve had some fairly fuckijg fire Excel sheets to have worked all that out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

He said it cost him $12k. That's like a week and tickets at the Grand Floridian.

That’s surprisingly low assuming that’s all in for food and everything.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Which one sounds low?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The trip!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s surprisingly low assuming that’s all in for food and everything.

https://twitter.com/A_Coaster_Story/status/1639292195982155780

He says the only things he excluded were extra vacation costs bookending it that weren't part of the marathon, souvenirs, and line skips he paid for that weren't the first.

https://twitter.com/A_Coaster_Story/status/1639293362409799680

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

he must’ve had some fairly fuckijg fire Excel sheets to have worked all that out.

Just planning the flights would be very difficult, because many long international direct flights are not every day. HK Disney is also not open every day of the week.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Pretty cool challenge, dunno if I’d want to spend that much time working out the logistics of it though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Upsidads posted:

Dang what a terrible way to "enjoy" the parks, blow a lot of cash, and get attention
I would do it if someone was paying me to do it, like for a TV show or something. gently caress doing it for "fun".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Yeah I think you only ever would attempt something like this if you enjoy everything that surrounds it, like the planning and physical act of travel. See also: the Parkeology Challenge. It isn't actually particularly fun to experience the parks like that, unless you get a kick out of carefully plotting routes around crowds.