Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Why is Judas Priest the only still-running legacy Metal act that understands nobody wants repetitive 8 minute songs from them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

Why is Judas Priest the only still-running legacy Metal act that understands nobody wants repetitive 8 minute songs from them?

Metallica has been doing that for 35 years! They're just not as good at making sections worth spending 8 minutes on anymore.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hulk Krogan posted:

because Judas Priest are the GOAT

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hulk Krogan posted:

Rob's got a pretty decent finger on the pulse of things for a guy who could probably get away with bringing a walker out on stage. I wonder if he's still down to do those albums with Nergal and Ishahn that he was talking about for forever?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I could use edited down versions of most albums. Remove a lot of repeated parts and most solos and chances are it’ll be a better record.

Reader’s Digest remixes

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

100%. The older I get, the more I appreciate 3 & 4 minute rippers. Way, way too many hour+ albums out there, and too many of those are like, 5 or 6 tracks.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New Rotten Sound is good as always.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

While we're passing judgment on metal cliches, can we get a ban on all classical sections and fingerpicking intros?

Any slow intro can piss off too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the cliche hill i will die on is movie samples. they kick rear end. Mortician is cool. They were always cool.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

xzzy posted:

While we're passing judgment on metal cliches, can we get a ban on all classical sections and fingerpicking intros?

Any slow intro can piss off too.

if you want to get rid of Voice of the Soul you'll have to go through me first

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

Loch Ness, confess, your terror of the deep…

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

the cliche hill i will die on is movie samples. they kick rear end. Mortician is cool. They were always cool.

"hey y'all that pulp fiction movie is pretty neat right, let's do something with that!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emKFJknruPg

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

New Sermon album. https://sermonsound.bandcamp.com/album/of-golden-verse

It fucks. Goddamn, the drumming on this.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Hell yeah. It's always fun trying to figure out what movies or shows the samples come from. I have the new Torsofuck samples almost all identified. Beginning sample from The Pig has me stumped though.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

new lamp of murmuur is good. it's a stylistic turn away from their lo-fi material into more straightforward immortal-esque bm but they're very good at that.

https://lampofmurmuur.bandcamp.com/album/saturnian-bloodstorm

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ultraviolence123 posted:

Hell yeah. It's always fun trying to figure out what movies or shows the samples come from. I have the new Torsofuck samples almost all identified. Beginning sample from The Pig has me stumped though.

how do you think i feel identifying the Fluids samples??

(joking, im not actually doing that lol)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The REAL Goobusters posted:

because Judas Priest are the GOAT

painkiller still loving whips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM__lPTWThU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3_PCvQlL48&t=766s

Wee fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 31, 2023

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

symbolic posted:

if you want to get rid of Voice of the Soul you'll have to go through me first

Me too

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I don't mind a slow intro unless it's like one of those ones that's just 3 straight minutes of Nature Sounds. We're past that, I think

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

Yeah, my gut reaction to 72 Seasons is that it's not bad, but not great either. It's just alright. Metallica in cruise control. Not exactly writing any new chapters for their formidable legacy, but not the kind of embarrassment they'd trod the floorboards of in the past.

There are worse fates for a mainstream hard rock/metal band, I suppose.

I dunno...

It feels like "If an AI wrote a Metallica song..."

Pretty much this whole new Metallica album and...marketing feels very modern and very Not-Metallica.

Like, for better or worse, one of the cool things about Metallica is that they kinda were always doing whatever the gently caress they wanted to do. Hence Load, Reload, St. Anger, Lulu etc. I mean you may have hated those albums (PS: gently caress you Load is awesome) but there was some level of honesty in what they were doing.

I mean there's the classic "Metallica sold out" argument but I always felt that Metallica were still steering the ship and the marketers worked around whatever they were doing.

There's just something about the new songs and the new marketing that feels as though the band isn't steering the ship anymore. The songs are generic, the guitar tone is lacking in gain and a bit "friendlier" and the interviews and stuff have been what you see from pop bands.

Yeah yeah yeah, Metallica is Pop blahblahblah pre-emptive shut the gently caress up. A million of you are gonna claim that they sold out with The Black Album (hell some of you to be smartasses will say it was with Ride The Lightning when they had a ballad) others will say it was with Load or whatever. I'll acknowledge that there are reasonable arguments to be made for all those points in time, but the recent stuff really gives me a "sellout" vibe

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

H13 posted:

I dunno...

Pretty much this whole new Metallica album and...marketing feels very modern and very Not-Metallica.

Like, for better or worse, one of the cool things about Metallica is that they kinda were always doing whatever the gently caress they wanted to do. Hence Load, Reload, St. Anger, Lulu etc. I mean you may have hated those albums (PS: gently caress you Load is awesome) but there was some level of honesty in what they were doing.

I mean there's the classic "Metallica sold out" argument but I always felt that Metallica were still steering the ship and the marketers worked around whatever they were doing.

There's just something about the new songs and the new marketing that feels as though the band isn't steering the ship anymore. The songs are generic, the guitar tone is lacking in gain and a bit "friendlier" and the interviews and stuff have been what you see from pop bands.

Yeah yeah yeah, Metallica is Pop blahblahblah pre-emptive shut the gently caress up. A million of you are gonna claim that they sold out with The Black Album (hell some of you to be smartasses will say it was with Ride The Lightning when they had a ballad) others will say it was with Load or whatever. I'll acknowledge that there are reasonable arguments to be made for all those points in time, but the recent stuff really gives me a "sellout" vibe

Not gonna lie. All this new stuff sounds exactly like the band that made Death Magnetic and Hardwired... to Self-Destruct to me.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I've never really been a fan of bands rolling out albums one song at a time over the weeks ahead of release. Kind of ruins the fun of release day and takes the songs out of the context of the album. It feels especially weird when it's Metallica doing it. Especially when it seems like they're having a lot of fun and doing what they feel like doing, music wise (to the detriment of the music a lot of the time. They could really use someone to whip their arrangements into shape), and then the end product is being presented with this mega-polished marketing campaign.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Not gonna lie. All this new stuff sounds exactly like the band that made Death Magnetic and Hardwired... to Self-Destruct to me.

you could have told me 72 seasons was a deep cut off of either of those albums and i'd have believed you

the only song off the new metallica album i like is the non-existent version of lux aeterna they plays at 1.25x speed - that song has good riffs, it's just too slow. the rest have been that sort of milquetoast mix of hard rock and thrash with the edges sanded off that's indicative of the last 15 years of metallica and i find 95% of it to be uninspired.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kinda.

To me, Death Magnetic is a "return to form' (even though it was meh) and Hardwired was the better version of that.

This feels like a meh version of Hardwired.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
I have come into possession of a certain ancient book, a collection of arcane scrawlings reputed to have been derived from an even earlier transcription, allegedly lost during the great fire of 1666. The Chthonic Chronicles! Glyphs, sigils, occult pictograms. Six score and ten oblations to some malign entity of COLLOSAL EVIL.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Nazzadan posted:

Friday new releases time

Outlaw, meloblack

Lot of good releases this week but I've been waiting for this one since I listened to it on youtube a couple of weeks ago. Reminds me a little of bands like dissection or whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C98uQl6P-Ow

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
apparently a Morbid Angel show got nailed by a tornado in IL tonight

https://twitter.com/LockharTVMedia/status/1641987487957434369?s=20

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

god drat thats terrible

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Revocation were there too and have posted that everyone is safe. Hearing 1 death, 30+ injured

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Original vinyl copies of Altars of Madness just skyrocketed in value

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

H13 posted:

I dunno...

Honestly yeah I feel this.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Demon Of The Fall posted:

apparently a Morbid Angel show got nailed by a tornado in IL tonight

That's really terrible. The same storm came up through here and wasn't as bad as further south. It looks like 1 dead and 5 still in critical. Hope our IL goons are safe, I know there are a few of you who may have been at this show.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Iceberg-Slim posted:

I have come into possession of a certain ancient book, a collection of arcane scrawlings reputed to have been derived from an even earlier transcription, allegedly lost during the great fire of 1666. The Chthonic Chronicles! Glyphs, sigils, occult pictograms. Six score and ten oblations to some malign entity of COLLOSAL EVIL.

I wish Bal-Sagoth hadn't split up or died or whatever happened. That's an awesome nerd metal album.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The latest Arkham Witch album has the best intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVofW6ciQic

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Kvlt! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQX6o68Mo-0

i also appreciate the "layer music over some crackpot" style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrAW6eTEKpc

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Hulk Krogan posted:

100%. The older I get, the more I appreciate 3 & 4 minute rippers. Way, way too many hour+ albums out there, and too many of those are like, 5 or 6 tracks.

It's always funny when Archspire complain about how it takes them 4 years to write 30 minutes of music

Those 30 minutes are really really good tho

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

glad im not the only one who thinks the new metallica album sounds like some AI-assisted poo poo

Metallica writes music in a different, as yet unilluminated bad way. St. Anger/Frantic, or like Cyanide, that's what we should be hearing. That kind of bad. This is a different, way less authentic kind of bad.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Philthy posted:

That's really terrible. The same storm came up through here and wasn't as bad as further south. It looks like 1 dead and 5 still in critical. Hope our IL goons are safe, I know there are a few of you who may have been at this show.

I thought about going, but honestly forgot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

jari has been angered and he does not know why