Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gerund posted:

There are multiple videos of the NYPD running over black protestors and the fascists that crashed the Drag event got a personal guard to take them out of the counter-protest. The facts do not support your hypothesis.

Yeah, the NYPD has covered for fascist protests and not only give them protection but also let them through the gates at the Metro, which is insultingly hypocritical since they have been shaking down and roughing up farejumpers on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Try to keep the one sentence posting about posting/white noise stuff to a minimum please. At least include some content and address the argument directly if you want to dunk on someone.

Noted. For the record, low effort doomer posting should be regarded as far worse than low effort "please stop doomer posting" posting IMHO. I mean Donald Trump got indicted, can we have one single day where people in this thread can be free from naysaying and debbie downer poo poo?

I know The Rule Of Law(tm) is pretty much a joke in this country but for the first time in maybe all of American history, a former President may face consequences for the criminal acts they committed. That's something to celebrate in of itself and no one in this thread needs the reminder that he may be acquitted or a single chud might throw the trial. We know.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 31, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Noted. For the record, low effort doomer posting should be regarded as far worse than low effort "please stop doomer posting" posting IMHO. I mean Donald Trump got indicted, can we have one single day where people in this thread can be free from naysaying and debbie downer poo poo?

I know The Rule Of Law(tm) is pretty much a joke in this country but for the first time in maybe all of American history, a former President may face consequences for the criminal acts they committed. That's something to celebrate in of itself and no one in this thread needs the reminder that he may be acquitted or a single chud might throw the trial. We know.

Yes, one sentence white noise doomer stuff should be kept to a minimum too. I just wanted to remind everyone and just quoted your post because you were addressing another poster specifically. But, it was not addressed at only you.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wouldn't go so far as to predict that cops would act properly during clashes of protests, or that there won't be terrible misconduct, or that their collective bias won't lie on the side of the fascists. Still, I cannot for a second imagine that 50% of NYPD officers being non-white would not have an effect on the way it treats white supremacists.

Yes, higher-ups are willing to appoint a security detail for some scumbags for a smaller event. That's leadership, and we know what side it's on. But when it's down in the street, with hundreds of young, low-ranking cops and tens of thousands of protestors in close quarters, and both sides are throwing things and knocking over barriers, I don't think either side is going to have a very good time.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

This is pure conjecture on my part, I am not a psychologist or even a particularly intelligent person, but it feels like to me a lot of the recent issues with mass shooters is an extension of the growing suicide problem in America. People who once may have quietly killed themselves are turning towards enormous shows of violence as a way to express their frustrations with the state of the world. If death is their end goal, what is it to them to take out as many people with them anyway? In the end this is directly caused by what is causing the suicide crisis in the first place: trivial access to guns.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I have actually been pleasantly surprised that the "nothing matters" doomposting poo poo hasn't been more prevalent. I think right now a lot of people are just holding their fire to see what really happens.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Youremother posted:

This is pure conjecture on my part, I am not a psychologist or even a particularly intelligent person, but it feels like to me a lot of the recent issues with mass shooters is an extension of the growing suicide problem in America. People who once may have quietly killed themselves are turning towards enormous shows of violence as a way to express their frustrations with the state of the world. If death is their end goal, what is it to them to take out as many people with them anyway? In the end this is directly caused by what is causing the suicide crisis in the first place: trivial access to guns.

I don't think that is entirely off-base. The problem is that only about a quarter of mass shooters kill themselves. Another quarter are killed by police and about half are subdued in some way.

So, it seems like suicidal ideation is a part of a large chunk of mass shooters, but still a minority. Even if you include all the ones killed by cops as people who wanted to die anyway, that still only gets you to about half.

There doesn't seem to be "the one" reason for mass shootings. Statistically, they are younger, white, male, and more likely to be schizophrenic. But, except for the schizophrenic part, they all seem to do it for different reasons. Some political, some personal, some unexplainable, some due to mental illness, and some due to a desire for fame/notoriety.

The demographics are pretty uniform, but the reasons behind the shooting aren't.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Youremother posted:

Not only is there an increase in suicidal ideation, but the more common mass shootings are, the more likely it is that a troubled person would end up concluding that that was the right way to go about it.

To me, A. Hale does not appear to have fit a typical profile of a mass shooter. They do not appear to have any history of obsession with guns, or a history of violent behavior. It seems like they were a really sick, suicidal person, but if mass shootings were not a regular occurrence, if they weren’t in the news all the time, I honestly doubt that their addled brain would have even gone to that place.

Of course, gun rights advocates are happy to just say "They're evil! Can't stop criminals!" and move on. But I'm not really sure if there was anything inherently wicked about Hale. At least not moreso than thousands or millions of other people who don't mass murder children.

It does look like we’ve entered a feedback loop where more mass shootings produce more mass shootings which produce more mass shootings.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

I am a math nerd, and if we use your assumption that 6% of the potential members of a Trump jury will be dead-ender Trump fanatics who will never vote to convict him for anything, then the odds that 12 random people from that pool will not have one of those crazy people is just 47.6% (That is 0.94^12)

Although, glass half-full, it isn't random, the prosecutors will presumably research everyone picked for jury duty and kick off everyone who is an obvious Trump fanatic.

Glass half-empty though, if NY can trim it down to just 1% of potential jurors being Trump fanatics, there's still about an 11% chance that the jury will have a crazy person on it

Ah, that's very interesting. As someone pointed out, I didn't account for non-voters either, who are likely not going to be Trump fanatics because they didn't turn out for him.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Youremother posted:

Not saying that gun availability doesn't play a big factor in suicides, but increasing suicide rates in the last 20 years have been driven primarily by suffocation so if anything it suggests that people killing themselves quietly is what's on the up.

Though I agree with you that mass shootings are a copycat suicide crisis driven by the kind of person who wants to make a splash or take some of "those bastards" with them. Even the ones who make elaborate plans for escape, escalating events, or global revolution or whatever probably know on some level what's likely to happen. It just lets another level of them say "No, I'm doing something grand, not taking an easy way out."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mellow Seas posted:

Regular ol' New Yorkers, savin' the day by throwing garbage like the Roosevelt Island tram riders in Raimi's Spider-Man.

Also, although ACAB applies there as much as anywhere else, I would guess that given its diversity, the NYPD may actually lean Democratic among its rank-and-file (in a very centrist, coppy way of course), and is more hostile to white supremacy. That could inhibit the ability of groups like the PB to operate there and get the favorable treatment they've come to expect from cops.

The NYPD literally has precincts that give offer challenge coins for brutalizing black people.

https://gothamist.com/news/nypd-defends-challenge-coins-dubbing-east-flatbush-precinct-fort-jah

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I don't think the biggest problem for a jury will be one or two die hards for Trump, but keeping that jury intact and safe. Even if they anonymize and sequester the jurors there are going to be some mighty interesting people doing everything possible to find their identities and start pressuring them any way possible.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Jesus, these peoples still believe that all the opposition to DJT comes from elites at the top of gov't and media and that all normal Americans are actually still totally on their side but are just being silenced/cowed. AKA, the Silent MajorityTM. They just cannot wrap their heads around the idea that the majority of Americans just do not like Trump or, at the very least, don't care about him.

The leader of the NYC Young Republicans is a true believer, a TPUSA guy and Babylon Bee VP who frequently writes articles for right-wing media. As a reference for where he stands, he thinks Matt Gaetz is a "model leader" and a MAGA hero.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't think that is entirely off-base. The problem is that only about a quarter of mass shooters kill themselves. Another quarter are killed by police and about half are subdued in some way.

So, it seems like suicidal ideation is a part of a large chunk of mass shooters, but still a minority. Even if you include all the ones killed by cops as people who wanted to die anyway, that still only gets you to about half.

There doesn't seem to be "the one" reason for mass shootings. Statistically, they are younger, white, male, and more likely to be schizophrenic. But, except for the schizophrenic part, they all seem to do it for different reasons. Some political, some personal, some unexplainable, some due to mental illness, and some due to a desire for fame/notoriety.

The demographics are pretty uniform, but the reasons behind the shooting aren't.

Their life's over regardless. Even if they don't shoot themselves and aren't shot by cops, someone who shoots up an elementary school is going to prison forever.

Several prominent researchers of mass shootings, like Jillian Peterson and James Densley, have taken the position that large-scale* mass shootings are fundamentally acts of murder-suicide. And yeah, these researchers are generally quite skeptical of the effectiveness of punishment. The Violence Project sums it up well in their analysis of mass shooters:

*the definition of "mass shooting" is a little fuzzy, so I'm arbitrarily throwing on "large-scale" to clearly distinguish poo poo like school shootings and nightclub shootings. Many mass shooting databases use more expansive definitions that include stuff like gang violence, drive-bys, and family murders, which makes sense from a "counting the impact of gun violence" perspective but doesn't really fall into the same category as someone who spends an hour walking the halls of an elementary school looking for kids to kill.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mellow Seas posted:

Not only is there an increase in suicidal ideation, but the more common mass shootings are, the more likely it is that a troubled person would end up concluding that that was the right way to go about it.

To me, A. Hale does not appear to have fit a typical profile of a mass shooter. They do not appear to have any history of obsession with guns, or a history of violent behavior. It seems like they were a really sick, suicidal person, but if mass shootings were not a regular occurrence, if they weren’t in the news all the time, I honestly doubt that their addled brain would have even gone to that place.

Of course, gun rights advocates are happy to just say "They're evil! Can't stop criminals!" and move on. But I'm not really sure if there was anything inherently wicked about Hale. At least not moreso than thousands or millions of other people who don't mass murder children.

It does look like we’ve entered a feedback loop where more mass shootings produce more mass shootings which produce more mass shootings.

He killed six people, three of which were children. Don't do that "but was he really evil?" Pontificating bullshit.

This is what I'm talking about when I say "keep there name and their motives out of the news" this shithead is now getting a ton of people fawning over him, and a ton of other shitheads will see that and want that same posthumous recognition and sympathy.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He killed six people, three of which were children. Don't do that "but was he really evil?" Pontificating bullshit.
I guess I just don't believe that people are "evil" in that way; I mean, I believe in psychopaths and it's reasonably likely that Hale was one, but even psychopaths are not generally interested in murdering children. It doesn't have anything to do with trying to rehabilitate Hale or excuse their actions, it's about trying to find actual causes. (Of course the guns are the main cause, but we're having a bit of trouble dealing with that.)

The main problem with the rhetoric of "evil" entering this discussion at all is: it's completely useless. There is no policy response to "evil".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cimber posted:

I think the general timeline is going to go like this

Next week: Trump is formally arraigned on those 30+ business crimes dealing with bank fraud, tax fraud and tax evasion. Stormy Daniel's hush payments will be lumped into the tax fraud portion. Trump will need to surrender his passport and post a bond.

Next 6-9 months: Various pre-trial hearings, complaints and appeals of process. This could easily get stretched out for a year

9-12 months from now: Trial begins, probably lasting a month.

12-14 months from now: Trump will withdraw during the primaries after anemic results, blaming the various trials and not his general unpopularity with the republican base.

12-14 months from now: Trump convicted on portion of charges.

1-3 years from now: Various appeals are filed, his lawyers doing their best to stall and delay.

After all the appeals are exhausted, Trump will finally face 'jail time'. However, citing his age and his extraordinary circumstances, Trump's lawyers successfully argue for home confinement in his apartment in Trump Tower. Trump also has to pay millions in fines to NY state.

If however at any time between now and the time Trump 'serves' time he dies, all cases are vacated and he will be considered innocent of all crimes. Yes, even if he's convicted and in the middle of the appeals process he would be considered innocent.

There is almost no scenario where Trump withdraws from the primaries. Perhaps the key reason he's even running again for the job he hates, is that he's terrified of actually answering for his myriad crimes. He's desperate for the immunity from consequences that the sitting President wields.

Which is even assuming that boring white collar business crimes are enough to turn anyone away from voting Trump in the first place. The most likely outcome of the trial is actually to buttress the support in the primary for Candidate Trump. Everyone on the right, including his handful of electoral opponents, is now all but forced to boisterously decry this "outrageous injustice", and performatively demand to be allowed to protect America's Favorite Martyr President with their own bodies.

Of all the dumbfucks running for the Republican nomination, only Donald J. Trump has the inherent immunity to shame and the carnival barker skills to successfully both defend and demolish an opponent in the same breath. Nobody else is going to successfully build a case against the guy they're forced to repeatedly defend as the greatest and bestest innocent man to ever be framed by Soros.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The only way to decrease mass shootings is to reduce the number of guns available for it (to make it harder to do) and to increase social spending on safety nets and mental health (to make it harder to want to do). If you've already reached the point of thinking it's time to commit random murders, no theoretical punishment is going to deter you from that.

But it does help you deflect and pass the buck if you really don't want gun control and increased social spending, like a lot of people in power.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Gyges posted:

There is almost no scenario where Trump withdraws from the primaries. Perhaps the key reason he's even running again for the job he hates, is that he's terrified of actually answering for his myriad crimes. He's desperate for the immunity from consequences that the sitting President wields.

Which is even assuming that boring white collar business crimes are enough to turn anyone away from voting Trump in the first place. The most likely outcome of the trial is actually to buttress the support in the primary for Candidate Trump. Everyone on the right, including his handful of electoral opponents, is now all but forced to boisterously decry this "outrageous injustice", and performatively demand to be allowed to protect America's Favorite Martyr President with their own bodies.

Of all the dumbfucks running for the Republican nomination, only Donald J. Trump has the inherent immunity to shame and the carnival barker skills to successfully both defend and demolish an opponent in the same breath. Nobody else is going to successfully build a case against the guy they're forced to repeatedly defend as the greatest and bestest innocent man to ever be framed by Soros.

I respectfully disagree.Come mid April 2024 if Trump is significantly down and polling is trending against him I think he would withdraw as not to be seen even more as a loser. Of course he would not blame the actual reasons (People tired of his poo poo, people want a firebreathing conservative who can get poo poo done and see that in DeSantis), but would instead blame the democrats for weaponizing the courts against him. His reputation is all he cares about, and its going to majorly sting if he keeps losing primaries.

[stealth edit] He mgiht et a minor bump in polls now from this indictment, but that's going to fade fast as the actual charges come out. This is a short term 'gain' for him but a long term loser.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Trump withdrawing would cement his status as a Loser before the votes are even cast, and for that reason alone I don't see him withdrawing.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

I guess I just don't believe that people are "evil" in that way; I mean, I believe in psychopaths and it's reasonably likely that Hale was one, but even psychopaths are not generally interested in murdering children. It doesn't have anything to do with trying to rehabilitate Hale or excuse their actions, it's about trying to find actual causes. (Of course the guns are the main cause, but we're having a bit of trouble dealing with that.)

The main problem with the rhetoric of "evil" entering this discussion at all is: it's completely useless. There is no policy response to "evil".

I also agree that there is no such thing as evil. However, I think making that point is important because most of our awful criminal justice system is a policy response to evil, where we focus on finding evil people and locking them away from good people. Once people realize that there are no such things as good or evil people (especially not in the Calvinist sense), then we can get more people on board with criminal justice reform, restorative justice, etc.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Theres no indication that Trump is unpopular with the base. Polling has him easily above 50% at this point.

The only reason that the establishment Republicans haven't stuck a knife in his back already is because he's popular with the base, and the few R's that have criticized him are unpersoned within the party.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

This is what I'm talking about when I say "keep there name and their motives out of the news" this shithead is now getting a ton of people fawning over him, and a ton of other shitheads will see that and want that same posthumous recognition and sympathy.

I think context is important. When you talk about the 'motives' of people who are clearly disturbed, what work is that discussion doing? There is no 'motive' someone can give for shooting a child they don't even know that is going to make sense because there is no universe where a dead child results in something these people want, perhaps other than the attention. They have undiagnosed mental problems.

So for purposes of casual discussion, 'the perpetrator was evil' is a perfectly fine and desirable place to stand because unless you're interested in addressing mental health concerns in society at large there's nothing in their manifestos that's really going to explain why they did what they did, it will never completely make sense. I'm sure there's some exception to that but I don't see what can be gained for average people.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mellow Seas posted:

I would go as far as saying it's not only useless, but counterproductive. If some people are just evil, then that's all the more reason to give less compassion and support to people in crisis who are most likely to act out in violence. If our problem is that we have all these "shitheads" who want sympathy and see that the easiest way to get it is through a mass shooting, then I'd argue that we can address this by making sympathy easier to find. I'll quote Elendil004 from the thread they recently made on this topic:

Elendil004 posted:

quote:

Many attackers experienced stressful events across various life domains, including family/romantic relationships, personal issues, employment, and legal issues. In some of these cases, attackers experienced a specific triggering event prior to perpetrating the attack.

If there’s a golden ticket to be punched to solve the active shooter problem it’s this. Eliminating stressors, and when you can’t do that, giving people mechanisms to cope with them would make a huge dent in things. The guy who shot up his office because they fired him probably doesn’t do that if he slides right onto quality unemployment and gets real help finding a new job.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Zamujasa posted:

Trump withdrawing would cement his status as a Loser before the votes are even cast, and for that reason alone I don't see him withdrawing.

I would expect a Stop the Steal movement and protesters to attack whoever's in the lead.

Which could be funny?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

koolkal posted:

I would expect a Stop the Steal movement and protesters to attack whoever's in the lead.

Which could be funny?

Funny in a 'oh my God we have lost faith in the democratic process' sense, which isn't funny at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Becoming and staying president is a major impediment to any investigations or penalties, so there’s his motivation to stay in the race. He won’t stop running unless he’s dead or legally barred from doing it, and if it’s the latter he’ll be trying to pull strings and weasel around it like he tried in Georgia

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cimber posted:

I respectfully disagree.Come mid April 2024 if Trump is significantly down and polling is trending against him I think he would withdraw as not to be seen even more as a loser. Of course he would not blame the actual reasons (People tired of his poo poo, people want a firebreathing conservative who can get poo poo done and see that in DeSantis), but would instead blame the democrats for weaponizing the courts against him. His reputation is all he cares about, and its going to majorly sting if he keeps losing primaries.

[stealth edit] He mgiht et a minor bump in polls now from this indictment, but that's going to fade fast as the actual charges come out. This is a short term 'gain' for him but a long term loser.

I just don't see anything here that would detract from his position with the base. Convicted Criminal Donald Trump, I believe, almost certainly becomes less popular with the national electorate. It will make a difference in November of 2024. The issue is that before those forces can come to bear on him, the only opinions that matter are the Republican primary electorate. Those crazy fucks are not going to abandon their avatar of petulance just because the New York lawyers got him on "bullshit" charges.

This is especially true when all the other possible choices in the primary are loudly agreeing that the charges are all bullshit and it's all just another attempt by the left to take out America's Greatest American. The party is incapable of talking bad about daddy Trump, and the assembled other guys trying to take over from him are unable to avoid hagiographic groveling at his feet. They were already facing a steep climb to overcome their own voids of charisma in any attempt to beat Donny without triggering their own base. Now they're all but guaranteed to have to defend and prop up Trump every 5 minutes when they're asked about his trials and crimes durring the primary.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

haveblue posted:

Becoming and staying president is a major impediment to any investigations or penalties, so there’s his motivation to stay in the race. He won’t stop running unless he’s dead or legally barred from doing it, and if it’s the latter he’ll be trying to pull strings and weasel around it like he tried in Georgia

Yeah, If he was doing well in the primaries. But do you think he's going to stay in until June or try for a convention fight if come April 1st he's already lost a significant amount of primaries and his path forward is pretty much a dead end? I think his ego would tell him to get out before he's ultimately declared a loser in the primaries.

Mind you, i would _love_ to see a convention fight. That would be super spicy.

[edit] Also I think he would withdraw because he would realize that if he went the distance and lost all remaining influence would be gone. Though he very well may go 3rd party if that happens.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 31, 2023

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Cimber posted:

Yeah, If he was doing well in the primaries. But do you think he's going to stay in until June or try for a convention fight if come April 1st he's already lost a significant amount of primaries and his path forward is pretty much a dead end? I think his ego would tell him to get out before he's ultimately declared a loser in the primaries.

Mind you, i would _love_ to see a convention fight. That would be super spicy.

[edit] Also I think he would withdraw because he would realize that if he went the distance and lost all remaining influence would be gone. Though he very well may go 3rd party if that happens.
He'll do this, because he absolutely CANNOT be a loser, ergo the Deep State has captured the Republican primary/its all rigged against him/those losers don't deserve him, also he'll want to burn it all down on his way out for revenge for being rejected as his narcissistic ego cannot handle it, and he absolutely CANNOT NOT run, because he needs to be president to avoid consequences (also he misses a band playing and everyone standing up whenever he enters a room and flying on an airplane for free and grifting taxpayer money).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

According to NBC News, prosecutors were asking witnesses about the other hush money payment and "catch and kill" deal that Trump had with a former Playboy Playmate.

That doesn't mean that they charged him for anything regarding it, but it might explain where those 34 charges came from if they include the McDougal saga and New York state tax evasion charges.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1641837832556642306

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Why would he ever drop out of the race when he could just lose the election and then say it was all rigged again and grift his idiot base for millions and try to overthrow the government again?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

XboxPants posted:

I would go as far as saying it's not only useless, but counterproductive. If some people are just evil, then that's all the more reason to give less compassion and support to people in crisis who are most likely to act out in violence. If our problem is that we have all these "shitheads" who want sympathy and see that the easiest way to get it is through a mass shooting, then I'd argue that we can address this by making sympathy easier to find. I'll quote Elendil004 from the thread they recently made on this topic:

I work as a counselor, I'm well aware of the value of healthy coping mechanism, empathy, and compassion.

I'm also well aware of how destructive entitlement can be when combined with anger and the knowledge that violence can be used as a way to get something you want.

It's not about good or evil, it's about results and as a society we have taught spree killers that the results of killing a bunch of people will be a ton of attention and fame and weirdos on the internet talking endlessly about you and all your thoughts and motives.

I do firmly believe that counseling and therapy should be easier to access and more affordable to everyone, but I also think there's value in posthumously shaming serial killers and calling them shitheads and not learning their names or blasting out their manifestos. There's nothing but upsides: the murder's feelings can't be hurt because he's already dead and it sends a clear message to any currently living potential spree killers: "Murder suicide won't get you what, no one will know your name and they only thing that people will remember about you is the vague idea that you're a shithead before you're forgotten entirely" maybe then they'll get the help they need and find some alternative coping mechanism and means of self expression.

Other countries keep spree killers names out of the news and they have a lot less spree killings because of it. Of course other countries also have sensible gun control laws, but hey let's do both!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

XboxPants posted:

If our problem is that we have all these "shitheads" who want sympathy and see that the easiest way to get it is through a mass shooting, then I'd argue that we can address this by making sympathy easier to find. I'll quote Elendil004 from the thread they recently made on this topic:
I absolutely agree with Elendil about reducing stressors. The non-gun reasons for the increase in mass shootings, whatever percentage of the problem they are, are the same exact problems leading to youth depression, increased (regular, non-homicidal) suicide and drug overdoses.

It's interesting when people say they want to address the "mental health crisis," and what they think that means. How do we actually make the lives of mentally ill people better, and how do we make them more stable?

I’m a fairly severely mentally ill person; I’ve been diagnosed with Bipolar type I and I had two extreme delusional episodes back in the aughts. And as longtime D&D readers might be aware, I sometimes have trouble regulating my emotions. (IMO, the DSM is a bunch of pseudoscience as far as classification goes, but in any case, I ain't right.)

What is expected of me by society is, in my experience, to find the right meds, and a good therapist, and then just carry on living on like everybody else, with all the ups and downs and stress and pressure, all of it. As if some psychiatric treatment - vastly underinvested in by the government and insurance companies - would just eliminate all the problems my disease causes me.

Right now that’s working out for me, but I’ve had varying degrees of success over the years, and it’s very likely that I am going to run into trouble again at some point in my life. And I have done much better than most people with my level of illness. I think that people "like me" should be “allowed” by the disability system to just gently caress off for a while if they feel like they need to. (Well, everybody should be able to gently caress off for a while if they want, but let’s start with the mentally ill first.)

As it is now, sure, I could probably get a lawyer and get on disability full time (after many months and many appeals), but that would basically lock me into a life of poverty and government dependence when 80%+ of the time, I'm perfectly capable of doing high level work. "Disability" is a temporary state for me, not a permanent one, but that's not how SSI is set up.

Now, I have some privilege, and because I got a great education and have a good job, I was actually able to use my employer’s disability insurance to take three months off last year when I was suffering from severe depression. Without that time off I would’ve ended up unemployed, in the hospital or both. That benefit should be guaranteed, not just a perk for white collar workers.

I'll be sure to check out Elendil's thread too, thanks for the referral.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 31, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Oracle posted:

He'll do this, because he absolutely CANNOT be a loser, ergo the Deep State has captured the Republican primary/its all rigged against him/those losers don't deserve him, also he'll want to burn it all down on his way out for revenge for being rejected as his narcissistic ego cannot handle it, and he absolutely CANNOT NOT run, because he needs to be president to avoid consequences (also he misses a band playing and everyone standing up whenever he enters a room and flying on an airplane for free and grifting taxpayer money).

If things shake out that he goes third party I am looking forward to another round of "....but dogs can't play basketball!" when he ignores all the sore loser laws and just goes ahead and does it anyway. "But technically according to subsection 13, paragraph 8, Trump is not presenting himself as a legally distinct third party candidate he is merely telling his cult followers to write his name in the ballot as is their right to do bing bong so simple laws mean nothing"

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I work as a counselor, I'm well aware of the value of healthy coping mechanism, empathy, and compassion.

I'm also well aware of how destructive entitlement can be when combined with anger and the knowledge that violence can be used as a way to get something you want.

It's not about good or evil, it's about results and as a society we have taught spree killers that the results of killing a bunch of people will be a ton of attention and fame and weirdos on the internet talking endlessly about you and all your thoughts and motives.

I do firmly believe that counseling and therapy should be easier to access and more affordable to everyone, but I also think there's value in posthumously shaming serial killers and calling them shitheads and not learning their names or blasting out their manifestos. There's nothing but upsides: the murder's feelings can't be hurt because he's already dead and it sends a clear message to any currently living potential spree killers: "Murder suicide won't get you what, no one will know your name and they only thing that people will remember about you is the vague idea that you're a shithead before you're forgotten entirely" maybe then they'll get the help they need and find some alternative coping mechanism and means of self expression.

Other countries keep spree killers names out of the news and they have a lot less spree killings because of it. Of course other countries also have sensible gun control laws, but hey let's do both!

I mean I know we just disagree on this but there are downsides. The killer's family or friends would be consistently shamed by being associated with the killer or failing to stop the killer. It's also contradictory to shame someone but not mention who you are shaming or why you are shaming them.

I also hope that if the patterns that lead to these spree killings are better known then all of us would be better able to identify people they know who may be at risk and get them help. Were both trying to get to the same place though and I agree gun control would go a long way and should be done.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

gurragadon posted:

I mean I know we just disagree on this but there are downsides. The killer's family or friends would be consistently shamed by being associated with the killer or failing to stop the killer. It's also contradictory to shame someone but not mention who you are shaming or why you are shaming them.

I also hope that if the patterns that lead to these spree killings are better known then all of us would be better able to identify people they know who may be at risk and get them help. Were both trying to get to the same place though and I agree gun control would go a long way and should be done.

That's just it! You wouldn't know who the killer's family or friends are! The killer is just "Some rear end in a top hat" out there in the world and that's all that gets reported in the news. No interviews with the people they knew, no diving into their past, they are just "some rear end in a top hat" and that's all the focus they get.

And you can absolutely shame an action or activity without shaming an individual person. Just look at ACAB: All Cops Are Bastards. Not a single specific cop is named, because they problem isn't a specific cop it problem in the whole institution. ASAS (All Spree-Killers Are Shitheads) works on the same basic principal: It quickly and clearly conveys to those who are living and still have the hope of a better future that spree-killers are human garbage and you shouldn't aspire to be one or emulate their actions.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

gurragadon posted:

The biggest downside to me is that it could make people who are having violent thoughts more reluctant to share them with people who could help.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

If things shake out that he goes third party I am looking forward to another round of "....but dogs can't play basketball!" when he ignores all the sore loser laws and just goes ahead and does it anyway. "But technically according to subsection 13, paragraph 8, Trump is not presenting himself as a legally distinct third party candidate he is merely telling his cult followers to write his name in the ballot as is their right to do bing bong so simple laws mean nothing"

gently caress it let him, if he runs as a write-in there is no way the Republicans are winning.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

socialsecurity posted:

gently caress it let him, if he runs as a write-in there is no way the Republicans are winning.

The only thing that would be better than a third party/write-in Trump candidacy is if he pushed his own alternative Congressional slate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

XboxPants posted:

The biggest downside to me is that it could make people who are having violent thoughts more reluctant to share them with people who could help.

The idea is not to shame the concept of having violent thoughts (something we already do as a society which is unfortunately a source of stress for clients who suffer from intrusive thoughts of that nature), but to present a specific way of acting upon violent thoughts as shameful or at the very least one that will not garner attention.