Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

J
Jun 10, 2001

Mouse1 = force move or sometimes an instant cast skill I don't mind autocasting
Mouse2 = main skill
mouse4 = shield charge or leap slam
mouse5 = single target supplement, like a totem or a curse or arcanist brand
ASDFG = flasks
QWER = other skills on the 1st bar.
Spacebar = oh poo poo defensive button like vaal molten shell or whatever
CTRL+W/E/R = auras on the 2nd bar

If the build has more buttons than that I'll combine the auras onto 1 button and incorporate Z/X/C for the extras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
When I used kb&m I had movement on mouse 2, I liked my skill on Q or whatever.

Game feels a lot better with a controller, sorry haters.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

movement skill on R, main skill on W, guard skill/support skill on QE, nothing I press more than once a map goes on a mouse button if I can help it

Exactly this

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Seems like a lot of starter talk in the community is about RF as well as Cold dot/vortex Elementalist. subtractem also seems to think his ele fire trap build should be unscathed.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Wuxi posted:

Then just level with Arma Brand/Cremation. 20 to 28 might feel a bit scuffed without the wand craft, but the new fire mastery buffs Arma Brand through the stratosphere during the campaign

Yeah, Arma was the plan but it's not available until 28. If I stick with witch I'll probably still just do HFT / Firewall / Rolling Magma until then, it'll just be a little weaker.

(I didn't care about Onslaught personally, I'm not fast enough for it to matter, just seems petty).

Edit: Never played RF, but yeah, def seems some low-key hype that RF is viable earlier now or something?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Movement skill on W gang

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Is there a reason to level with Cremation over Brand Recall nuking for single target with Arma brand? I haven't played brands before but I see you can get a ton of recall CDR with just Brand Equity + mastery alone. Planning to level with it for 3.21 so nice to know.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Movement skill on W gang

Wait people don't put movement on spacebar?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Spacebar is allowable. Middle mouse click is where it's at though. You can use the side of your finger to click that poo poo.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

it's weird, sometimes with summon phantasm on LMB I can't pick up items. other times I can. but I can seem to pick up items with steelskin on LMB so I'll just leave that there.

mechanics question: if I have summon raging spirit linked to totem support (turning it into a totem), will it still benefit from minion damage bonus passive skill bonuses, melee physical support gem, and chance to poison support gem? I am guessing: yes, but if not, I don't want to be wasting effort on linking all that.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I usually don't have spectre and definitely not animate guardian bound to any key. If i need them, I'll go to the HO to bind the key and use it.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

pmchem posted:

it's weird, sometimes with summon phantasm on LMB I can't pick up items. other times I can. but I can seem to pick up items with steelskin on LMB so I'll just leave that there.

mechanics question: if I have summon raging spirit linked to totem support (turning it into a totem), will it still benefit from minion damage bonus passive skill bonuses, melee physical support gem, and chance to poison support gem? I am guessing: yes, but if not, I don't want to be wasting effort on linking all that.

1. Yes
2. If you mouseover a support gem a box will pop up telling you which of your socketed active gems it does/does not support. The only time it might lie is when it comes to something like linking two Trigger supports to the same skill, as that will actually disable the skill entirely.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
This game is so loving stupid I miss it, gonna do a test on Standard

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

pmchem posted:

Yes, the support gems you listed link directly to the Raging Spirit gem. The Spell Totem is immaterial in this, it's just the way the Summon Raging Spirit spell gets eventually cast. The summoned Raging Spirits benefit from all your passive minion boosts.

edit: nevermind the rest, i'm too drunk to phrase this in an intelligible way

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 31, 2023

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

pmchem posted:

You can pick up items with an instant skill on left click. From your reports, you also can sometimes with another spell on lmb, but I'm guessing it's cool down related? Either way, when people said put a "guard skill" on left click, steelskin is a guard so it looks like you found the good play here. I continue to enjoy your posts, and I continue to be pleasantly surprised by your progress!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

My weta box had those burning boots in it, which I guess is a sign that I should go from maybe starting RF to definitely.

How do people feel about Jugg vs. Inquis? Looking at Pohx's stuff Jugg is easier to gear but Inquis does better at bossing, if I'm reading that right. I hate bossing anyway so I'd roll Jugg in that case.

also,

Captain Foo posted:

Movement skill on W gang

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

pmchem posted:

You don't need to have Summon Phantasm on any of your slots. It's triggered by whatever it's linked to killing an enemy or hitting a rare/unique.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Noper Q posted:

You don't need to have Summon Phantasm on any of your slots. It's triggered by whatever it's linked to killing an enemy or hitting a rare/unique.

yah my bad I meant raise spectre, not summon phantasm.

I just went through and redid my gear:
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/pmchem/characters

goal was to dump old items with low stats, and get the 4-linked-slot summon raging spirit to replace my holy fire totem. I also used the 4 blue link item to link in spectre to my other supported summon skills. not using the ancestral/purity/animate/herald/clarity gems -- those can be ignored -- I just had some empty slots and threw those in for levelling.

skills are:
steelskin / move only (spacebar) / frostblink
raise skele / desecrate / spectre / SRS / bone offering
vitality / precision / discipline / zombie / dread banner

I think I'd rather have a good armor glove than my evasion glove, but it is what it is for now. my one glaring defensive hole is zero chaos resist; I'm contemplating throwing some points to go toward Asylum to plug that gap, but would rather beeline toward Death Attunement because it seems... super good for a summoner?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Big Mad Drongo posted:

My weta box had those burning boots in it, which I guess is a sign that I should go from maybe starting RF to definitely.

How do people feel about Jugg vs. Inquis? Looking at Pohx's stuff Jugg is easier to gear but Inquis does better at bossing, if I'm reading that right. I hate bossing anyway so I'd roll Jugg in that case.

Only done the Inquis version, but if you're one of those people who wants to use their final skill setup ASAP, Jugg you can do RF after normal lab whereas you need to wait for cruel lab to make the switch on Inquis.

Also, keep in mind that the Eternal Damnation amulet, which delivers quite a lot of tank for Jugg characters, was a drop from Lycia, which means it won't be in Crucible.

pmchem posted:

I think I'd rather have a good armor glove than my evasion glove, but it is what it is for now. my one glaring defensive hole is zero chaos resist; I'm contemplating throwing some points to go toward Asylum to plug that gap, but would rather beeline toward Death Attunement because it seems... super good for a summoner?

Chaos res is probably something you can ignore until about halfway through the campaign, but an actual HC player (I've hit 90 once, 75 another time, and that's about it) might want to chime in.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Chaos Res is nice. Nice enough that I spec the Occultist ascendancy node and sometimes I use +chaos Res base rings. But I don't really shoot for full 75% chaos Res anymore, it's so expensive as an auxiliary defensive layer.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Big Mad Drongo posted:

also,

I have played both and I vastly prefer Jugg. I really don't like the stutter step Inquis movement style, the concentrated path is such a large part of your Regen that you cannot just forget to get the buff. Jugg is easy, just make number go up.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

KirbyKhan posted:

Chaos Res is nice. Nice enough that I spec the Occultist ascendancy node and sometimes I use +chaos Res base rings. But I don't really shoot for full 75% chaos Res anymore, it's so expensive as an auxiliary defensive layer.

They are adding more chaos damage next league with the Profane map affix so it might become more important sometimes

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I hope GGG is working on a Vampire Survivors league

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

KirbyKhan posted:

I have played both and I vastly prefer Jugg. I really don't like the stutter step Inquis movement style, the concentrated path is such a large part of your Regen that you cannot just forget to get the buff. Jugg is easy, just make number go up.

jugg rf should be one of the smoothest builds to get going this league, though it very well may be super popular, too

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

whydirt posted:

I hope GGG is working on a Vampire Survivors league
I hope they aren't, VS got boring incredibly quickly

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1641919547874635779

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Man, the more I think about it, the more I think Crucible has the potential to be a really fuckin good league mechanic.

Unlike last league, everyone's going to get *something* out of the additional power granted from the league items.

And unlike Kalandra, you're modifying your (rare) items at will from the start.

Captain Foo posted:

Movement skill on W gang

Hell yeah.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Deki posted:

Unlike last league, everyone's going to get *something* out of the additional power granted from the league items.
everyone except facebreaker :(

let me have my fun gloves back ggg

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

theshim posted:

everyone except facebreaker :(

let me have my fun gloves back ggg

You can at least use shields with FB right? You'll get something out of it I guess.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I guess, yeah. OWN is the one that truly gets nothing.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ok, here's my loadout getting ready to go after Piety this evening. let me know if anything looks uh super bad for that?

already finished the library and archives, got access to more gems through that ghost's quest. easy areas.

about 1200 hp, shade under 400 energy shield. feels weird leaving sockets empty! big question mark is whether to replace determination (50% reservation!) with other stuff, like purity of elements. my resists are all around 50%, so not bad, but purity's immunity to elemental effects is tempting. trying to avoid evasion, for now, since I'm not putting passives in a dex tree and I expect that eventually I just won't be able to wear any useful dex armor (probably... it's unclear how requirements will scale). I blew my passive points going to purity of flesh for extra hp pool, and will be going back to minion offense with my next set of points.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I think I'm starting champ, not sure what skill yet. Maybe bows, maybe melee, probably not a caster.

Stance swap for permanent onslaught + adrenaline and crazy recovery, Kaom's Spirt and "Every 4 seconds, regenerate life equal to 1% of armour and evasion rating over 1 second" mastery to sustain Berserk.

I click a lot instead of holding when moving anyway so I don't think the swapping will be that bad.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

theshim posted:

I guess, yeah. OWN is the one that truly gets nothing.

makes sense

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

pmchem posted:

ok, here's my loadout getting ready to go after Piety this evening. let me know if anything looks uh super bad for that?

already finished the library and archives, got access to more gems through that ghost's quest. easy areas.

about 1200 hp, shade under 400 energy shield. feels weird leaving sockets empty! big question mark is whether to replace determination (50% reservation!) with other stuff, like purity of elements. my resists are all around 50%, so not bad, but purity's immunity to elemental effects is tempting. trying to avoid evasion, for now, since I'm not putting passives in a dex tree and I expect that eventually I just won't be able to wear any useful dex armor (probably... it's unclear how requirements will scale). I blew my passive points going to purity of flesh for extra hp pool, and will be going back to minion offense with my next set of points.

I do think I'd value purity of elements over determination because it just solves freeze, shock, and ignite. But I'm not a hardcore player and determination might be doing a lot for you in managing physical hits.

Idk if you want spoilers for the fight so I'm spoiler tagging this next advice cause it's not about something you actually talk about here. And thinking about it, it's more relevant slightly later on than piety a3 anyway. So read if you dare! Do you have a way to deal with bleed or corrupted blood effects yet? If not, perhaps look for one. You should have enough Einhar beasts to put a suffix on a flask for it. Alternately, make sure you have a lot of life Regen, or are ready to portal/log on a dime.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Did a bit of testing if anyone wants to use this new mastery:

pre:
(New) Gain Adrenaline for 1 second when you change Stance
With the new stance cluster Dance of Blades you also get Onslaught when you stance change. It also has 30% stance CDR infront of it. A L6/Q20 Blood and Sand has another 60% CDR cutting stance change to 1.056s with server ticks according to PoB so if you could auto it its almost 100% adrenaline uptime for that sweet 100% increased Damage, 25% increased Attack, Cast, Movement Speed and 10% additional Physical Damage Reduction.

You can't trigger it because it has a reservation so I tried the left click tech. If you enable always attack then it sort of works. If you just hold down the button it is not triggered but if you left click sometime during that 1 second and then keep holding the stance change is triggered so it isn't to jank.

Otherwise you could of course go with the scripting method but seemed neat.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
What's an easy build for dummies who have only ever played the Diablo games? Preferably a ranged build without too many buttons to push.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

pmchem posted:

I think someone mentioned this upthread, but in case you missed it: Chance to Poison isn't doing much for your Raging Spirits setup. You'd be much better off moving the other three gems from your hat to your gloves and throwing in a different support. Minion Speed or Damage are your best bets, but even something like Added Lightning would be stronger than Poison.

Also, you probably want to pull at least one of the minions out of your chest so the other two can have more than one damage support. Spectre is the hardest to use consistently during the campaign, so that's the one I'd move.

Also, something that's not obvious: any gems in your weapon-swap slots still gain XP, so if you're low on slots and want to keep leveling gems you're not currently using, you can keep them there.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hmm ok thanks, maybe I’ll rearrange some gems yeah. Regarding the Piety stuff, I think I may have that covered with my current items (lol we will see) but, could always use more!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The Little Kielbasa posted:

What's an easy build for dummies who have only ever played the Diablo games? Preferably a ranged build without too many buttons to push.

Righteous Fire Juggernaut or Inquisitor. Most of your killing is running by enemies and burning them to death while you occasionally drop a Fire Trap on bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

pmchem posted:

One big problem I see is that you don't have a dedicated dps 4-link. Your SRS is close but the spell totem support is kind of a waste IMHO. I guess the idea is you just place the totem and forget about it? But you're losing a ton of dps from it from both less damage and less cast speed. And SRS is already a fire and forget skill, so you don't really need a totem to do that for you. I'd suggest sticking SRS in your gloves and linking it to Melee Phys, Minion Damage, and one other support gem. Minion Speed, Fire Penetration, Added Fire Damage, Elemental Damage With Attacks, and Elemental Army are all good choices.

Purity of Elements is extremely good so I'd go with that.