Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Kramdar posted:

We had one cat with a constant runny nose. He always had a dry boog just hanging there. Thought it was just something he was always going to live with dripping. Fast forward, one day he's laying in my lap and lets out a big long yawn. While his mouth's open, I grab his fang and tell my wife to look how long it is and that poor kitty let out a howl from the pain. Took him vet, they extracted it, and no more runny nose.

Wait, what? The runny nose was a result of too-long tooth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Was able to let my new used cat out onto our new screened in porch and she looked so happy to be able to roll in the sunshine and peer into the wild nature of my neighborhood. She won't accept a leashing so this is really her only shot at being outside. Made me happy so I had to tell somebody

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Not a tooth that was too long, but an abscess or similar tooth infection. He was a street cat that we took in. He never showed any discomfort while eating. But when I heard him howl, I just pictured "Tom Hanks ready to pop it out with an ice skate" level of pain. Vet pulled that tooth, gave him meds for the infection, and that's it. But it was the source of that runny nose, that infected tooth. Tooth looked fine too.

We have a diabetic cat whose fangs all fell out over the course of two years. And our Siamese just dropped one too, I think he has a genetic issue. They all look like they need to be pulled.

That one with the abscess and our Mainecoon both have abnormally long fangs compared to the rest of our cats. I've poked at all of the other cat's teeth without them complaining.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dejan Bimble posted:

Was able to let my new used cat out onto our new screened in porch and she looked so happy to be able to roll in the sunshine and peer into the wild nature of my neighborhood. She won't accept a leashing so this is really her only shot at being outside. Made me happy so I had to tell somebody

Catios are the poo poo, best compromise for an indoor cat imo.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I posted a few weeks ago about how one of our two 9mo. kittens will only lick her food. We’ve been to a vet since then - two have seen her, actually, both at a specialized cat clinic. Her health and dental health seem A-OK. And she’s fine chewing dry food, there’s no sign of pain.

My best guess is that she doesn’t understand how to get food into her mouth except by licking it. Even treats! She has a hard time getting them out of my hand. Sometimes they fall right out of her mouth before she can bite down on them and she’ll chase it around the floor and give up if she can’t get it back in. :sigh: She’s very gentle, noticeably so compared to her sister.

How do you teach a cat to bite? The licking makes her so slow. I feel like sometimes when she stops eating wet food I’ve put out she isn’t even full, she’s just tired of trying to get it into her mouth… With something chunky like Tiki Cat she literally just licks the moisture off and then stops.

Bonus vet anecdote and proof of healthy kitten criminal activity:

:3: “What do you have for scratching posts?”
:) Two cat trees with sisal posts, a condo with sisal siding, a horizontal cardboard scratcher, a jute rug…
:3: “And what do they use?”
:( The carpet on the stairs.

This all isn’t an emergency, obviously. As you can see she isn’t starving, she’s eating. I just want her to have an easier time of it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

:unsmith: heartwarming

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Going to be a rough day tomorrow. My 11 year old balinese has developed early onset dementia and I've decided with the vet's recommendation to put her down. She's becoming increasingly violent with me and my other animals so it has to be done but I'd just like to ask if this has happened to anyone else and if so when did the signs start to show up.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

I specifically chose my current apartment because it has a screened balcony and it's such an improvement in quality of life for my cat. I'm so glad your cat also has some safe outdoor space now!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

kaom posted:

I posted a few weeks ago about how one of our two 9mo. kittens will only lick her food. We’ve been to a vet since then - two have seen her, actually, both at a specialized cat clinic. Her health and dental health seem A-OK. And she’s fine chewing dry food, there’s no sign of pain.

My best guess is that she doesn’t understand how to get food into her mouth except by licking it. Even treats! She has a hard time getting them out of my hand. Sometimes they fall right out of her mouth before she can bite down on them and she’ll chase it around the floor and give up if she can’t get it back in. :sigh: She’s very gentle, noticeably so compared to her sister.

How do you teach a cat to bite? The licking makes her so slow. I feel like sometimes when she stops eating wet food I’ve put out she isn’t even full, she’s just tired of trying to get it into her mouth… With something chunky like Tiki Cat she literally just licks the moisture off and then stops.

:) Two cat trees with sisal posts, a condo with sisal siding, a horizontal cardboard scratcher, a jute rug…

This all isn’t an emergency, obviously. As you can see she isn’t starving, she’s eating. I just want her to have an easier time of it.

Have you tried to mix her wet food with water? I feel like she'll figure it out or she'll just eat like a weirdo which isn't a big deal as long as she's eating.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

kaom posted:

One of our old cats, Mimi (RIP, sweetheart), did the 'lick the gravy and leave the chunks' thing. Switching her to a pate helped solve the problem.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Melomane Mallet posted:

One of our old cats, Mimi (RIP, sweetheart), did the 'lick the gravy and leave the chunks' thing. Switching her to a pate helped solve the problem.
I started volunteering at a cat rescue a few months ago and people there usually break up the chunks with a fork before feeding the cats. The end result is almost like slurry. Some cats eat the chunks but apparently quite a few don’t, they just lick the gravy and stop. Others will eat that or shreds but not touch pate style food no matter how it’s served (mashed up, water added, heated.) There seems to be a lot of individual variation.

At home neither of our cats likes pate or big chunks, so we either break those up or do shreds. They only eat chicken (no fish or beef) but they won’t touch bigger white meat chicken shreds or stringy bits either so :shrug: it’s basically two specific types of basic chicken fancy feast or bust for them.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

I have a strange situation that I am hoping to get some feedback on.

Tldr : I want to remove and rehome what appears to be a abused cat. What should I be doing or lookin out for if I bring it home. Where I already have a 8 year old cat.

Last night I went over to my sister's place to dogsit her new dog while she was out for the day. While there I discovered she actually still owns a cat aswell.

In the past, ie. Years ago; I heard about her having a cat and she would always describe it in very negative terms. But I just thought she was playing it up. I call my cat a dick all the time but I don't actually mean it.
When her daughter moved away I just assumed she took the cat as I never heard about it again

Last night I discovered that they have the cat living in a tiny tiny room with absolutely no cat friendly furniture,toys, or habitat.

There is a litter box that doesn't look like it gets cleaned, and the area all around it has had the carpet removed and the subfloor revealed.
There is a tiny water dish next to the litter box and food all over the floor.

I found the cat hiding at the back corner under the bed. It couldn't be on the bed due to all the piled clothes and debris.

After speaking to my neice and nephew who moved out, it seems like the cat is afraid to come out of the room due to the dogs that live in the house and my sisters attitude. The cat is ignored 100% of the time and is only interacted with when the food and litter are changed.

The situation made me incredibly sad and I want to remove the cat from this situation. I would like to bring the cat home with me if possible .

I currently own a 8 year old black cat who has full run of my entire house. Am I crazy to try and bring another older cat here? I don't want them clawing eachother to death when I'm not home.

My plan was to bring Lucy the new cat into my wife's unused office bedroom. Il remove the office equipment and set it up with a cat tower, a place to hide , a clean litterbox , some scratching posts and spiny ball .
Il get the feliway diffusers going on the two floors and il keep the cats separated by the bedroom door for a while.

But how do I safely introduce these cats? Or do I even bother trying.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

:smith:
That’s incredibly sad. I hope you can help the cat (and your sister doesn’t get a new one). I’d mainly focus on getting the cat comfortable in their new room and socialized with people.

Jackson Galaxy has a bunch of posts (and videos probably?) about introductions.

Someone at the shelter I got my cats from sent me this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpXwn77oA_w&t=1s
It’s more focused on visuals (vs scent swapping) and I like the way it lays out establishing territories for each cat.

I’ve only introduced a 6 month old to a 2.5 year old but I think a lot of things come down to disposition. Did your niece and nephew have a relationship with the cat?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm in a similar position after taking in my mom's cat. It wasn't being abused but the joke I keep returning to in my mind was basically the cat living alone in a haunted house.

I've got the cat right here next to me, sleeping peacefully. She doesn't get along with my other cat yet but I'm keeping them separated with a screen, letting them hiss and startle each other but not actually fight, and trying to be patient.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Have you tried to mix her wet food with water? I feel like she'll figure it out or she'll just eat like a weirdo which isn't a big deal as long as she's eating.

Yeah that's how Socks, our first cat, ate and she lived till 16.

She was a super tiny cat though so she didn't eat a ton to begin with, it just took her extra time

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Flopsy posted:

Going to be a rough day tomorrow. My 11 year old balinese has developed early onset dementia and I've decided with the vet's recommendation to put her down. She's becoming increasingly violent with me and my other animals so it has to be done but I'd just like to ask if this has happened to anyone else and if so when did the signs start to show up.

So sorry you are going through this. My old cat had regular dementia. I think we noticed the signs starting about 9 months before we made the decision. She wasn’t violent but she was confused at night for a while then she became confused the rest of the time. We had moved recently so I think she just never mapped the new place into her memory and didn’t know where she was. She was often inconsolable at the end, she didn’t know us and she didn’t know the house. It was very sucky.

I hope you have a few good moments with your cat before the end. I’m sorry.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

We’ve got an older car (14) and two younger kids and are thinking of adopting a kitten. We previously had a cat that was about a year younger than the older cat but had to be put down for health reasons after surgeries.

The older cat has always kept to herself and only loves my wife while tolerating me and our two kids (and the other cat when he was alive). She mostly keeps to herself.

We were at petsmart today and came across this guy and while he gets along with dogs, cats, and kids of all ages (per his write up and talking with the staff), he’s got some health issues. He was born without a tail and several vertebrae but gets around fine. He’s also on a probiotic diet for some reason.

Is this a red flag, holy poo poo your medical bills will be insane, this cat should be put down because of inbreeding situation, or could he have a good life?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

nwin posted:

Is this a red flag, holy poo poo your medical bills will be insane, this cat should be put down because of inbreeding situation, or could he have a good life?

There's literally no way to tell, but I'd bet on him having a good life.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

It sounds like he has Manx syndrome. The big symptom I’ve read about is fecal and urinary incontinence. 😬

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Crocobile posted:

It sounds like he has Manx syndrome. The big symptom I’ve read about is fecal and urinary incontinence. 😬

Thanks…looks like a shortened life span as well.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I wasn't home to see it, but the new cat slipped through the door and immediately went after our original cat, and they fought. Apparently, they scratched and bit for a few seconds and then our original cat (who never instigates and seems very afraid of the new cat) ran off, and the new cat didn't immediately pursue her.

Now, afterwards, our original cat wasn't willing to come to the screen door to eat near the new cat. I'm hoping after a few more peaceful days she'll be more willing, but it feels bad seeing the negative patterns get reinforced.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

I wasn't home to see it, but the new cat slipped through the door and immediately went after our original cat, and they fought. Apparently, they scratched and bit for a few seconds and then our original cat (who never instigates and seems very afraid of the new cat) ran off, and the new cat didn't immediately pursue her.

Now, afterwards, our original cat wasn't willing to come to the screen door to eat near the new cat. I'm hoping after a few more peaceful days she'll be more willing, but it feels bad seeing the negative patterns get reinforced.

It's not negative behavior. It's cat behavior. New cat is going for dominance. Old cat will get over it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

My wife and I are on a big trip currently and a cat sitter is popping over to feed them and play with them each day.

Sage, the younger one, is a big scary cat about new people/sounds and hides every time the cat sitter comes over. She found him under the covers of our bed on the first day (that's been his safe hidey hole since he was a 6 week old kitten) while the older cat was watching. For the past two days when the cat sitter comes over the older cat has been helping her find Sage when they get close and it's very funny. I hope Sage warms up by the end of the trip

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

My wife and I are on a big trip currently and a cat sitter is popping over to feed them and play with them each day.

Sage, the younger one, is a big scary cat about new people/sounds and hides every time the cat sitter comes over. She found him under the covers of our bed on the first day (that's been his safe hidey hole since he was a 6 week old kitten) while the older cat was watching. For the past two days when the cat sitter comes over the older cat has been helping her find Sage when they get close and it's very funny. I hope Sage warms up by the end of the trip

He will probably warm up faster if she just leaves him alone and doesn't expose his hiding place to look at him every time she shows up. That's pretty threatening behaviour to a cat.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

He will probably warm up faster if she just leaves him alone and doesn't expose his hiding place to look at him every time she shows up. That's pretty threatening behaviour to a cat.

She's only doing it to check on him, otherwise she leaves him alone for the rest of the visit.

Previously she'd never even seen him. I did put in the notes to not poke at him since he's pretty nervous about strangers though since I don't want him to get super stressed out

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Melomane Mallet posted:

Anecdotal obviously, but so far 5 out of 5 cats (2 random strays and a litter of 3) has gotten runny/sticky shits from pate canned food. Sticking with grilled/gravy style seems to clear it up :shrug:

Speaking of poop, hey every one of my shithead cats: There are 3 other litter boxes in the house, you really don't need to come to the one that I'm actively scooping right that second and drop trou to deposit a steaming load 2 feet in front of my face :shrek:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding letting my two cats

Deteriorata posted:

It's not negative behavior. It's cat behavior. New cat is going for dominance. Old cat will get over it.

I'm hearing and reading mixed things about this. Some people say I'll need to let the cats work it out, some say letting them fight is going to lead to them always seeing the other cat as a threat - not to mention the chance of one of them getting seriously hurt.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm hearing and reading mixed things about this. Some people say I'll need to let the cats work it out, some say letting them fight is going to lead to them always seeing the other cat as a threat - not to mention the chance of one of them getting seriously hurt.

Talk to a vet, then. The internet is full of bullshit and idiots. Get advice from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Deteriorata posted:

Talk to a vet, then. The internet is full of bullshit and idiots. Get advice from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Ok, I'm taking the last week of this month off and I have appointments scheduled for both of them, I'll bring it up then.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

Anyone who says with absolute certainty that it will work for all cats is bullshitting. I had a roommate's cat that never got along with one of my cats, and we did all the right things you're supposed to do over the period of time you're supposed to do them, and they still fought to the point of fur flying and drawing blood every time they saw each other.

Every cat is different. Some are VERY set in their ways and will see certain other cats as a threat no matter what. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. Maybe if we had Jackson Galaxy or someone directly intervene we could figure it out, but as a normal person with only so much time and expertise, it just didn't happen.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm really hoping that sense the aggressive cat in this instance (my mom's cat, the new cat) previously lived for years in peace with two other cats, it'll be able to live with a new cat in peace.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I hope it works out, but in my experience, sometimes there's a toxic clash of personalities that's just impossible to overcome. My cat is rather anxious, and is fearful + territorial to any unknown adult cat, but very good with kittens and will bond with any cat he meets when it's a kitten. Their cat was incredibly confident with no respect for territory or boundaries. He got along ok with our other cats, or at least they stayed out of each other's way. But with these two, they just clashed hard, and no matter how much we slow-rolled the introductions it never got any better.

If one or the other cat is more chill and submissive, it might work out eventually, even if that just means they mostly coexist. But that's still very much a "might".

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Sometimes cats just don't like each other. Imagine if you were made to live with some random person. Maybe you'd get along fine and be besties. Maybe you'd mostly ignore each other. And maybe you wouldn't get along at all. Why shouldn't it be the same for cats? They're more solitary in nature than humans after all.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

pidan posted:

They're more solitary in nature than humans after all.

They're really not. Feral cats tend to live in colonies. They just don't trust cats that aren't part of their colony.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll settle for avoiding each other and the occasional swat and hiss, rather than feline recreations of UFC1. And right, I hear you, they're thinking beings with personalities and agency and they may just never come around and I'd have to accept that.

But I'm also going to really really hope it doesn't end up like that because I don't know of anyone else that would give my mom's cat a good life.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I really hope so too! That said, depending on where you are, there MAY be other options. The charity we work with and do fostering for does adopt out senior cats. There are absolutely people out there who love giving older animals a good home.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I need some advice on my poop monkey cat.

Backstory/Foreshadowing: He's 10 and his whole life he's had behavioral issues regarding using the litterbox properly. He's also really timid and easily becomes afraid/avoidant of things that scare him.

The Inciting Event: A few weeks ago, he spent several days in a row pooping in random spots in my apartment, so I took him to the vet. Turns out he was constipated, so I've been mixing Miralax into his food, and his constipation has gone away. Hooray! Oh no, wait, don't celebrate yet. Unfortunately, that same night as the vet visit, he managed to tip over the litterbox onto himself while he was peeing in it (that was a goddamn treat to wake up to, let me tell you), and after that, he refused to use any of the 3 litterboxes available to him. I always keep puppy training pads in front of the litterboxes, so that's where's he's been doing all of his excretory functions. (Specifically, in front of his one favorite box.)

The Problem: About a week ago, I managed to coax him back to using the litterbox to pee (simply by moving it forward a few inches, where the puppy pad usually sits). Hoorayy!!! Oh no, wait, don't celebrate yet. Unfortunately, he is still pooping on the puppy pad. Because he's doing it consistently in one spot and not all over the apartment, and because his stools look healthy now, I'm pretty sure this is a trauma holdover from The Nighttime Litterbox Disaster and not a medical issue.

The Question: How do I get my cat to poop in the litterbox again???

I've tried scooping his stools into the litterbox so he can make the association between the two again, but that hasn't changed anything. He always seems to do it while I sleep at night or am at work during the day, too. I don't really know what I can do to make the litterbox a more appealing option than the floor. :sigh:

A picture of this mystifying beast precious baby angel:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Rabbit Hill posted:

I need some advice on my poop monkey cat.

Backstory/Foreshadowing: He's 10 and his whole life he's had behavioral issues regarding using the litterbox properly. He's also really timid and easily becomes afraid/avoidant of things that scare him.

The Inciting Event: A few weeks ago, he spent several days in a row pooping in random spots in my apartment, so I took him to the vet. Turns out he was constipated, so I've been mixing Miralax into his food, and his constipation has gone away. Hooray! Oh no, wait, don't celebrate yet. Unfortunately, that same night as the vet visit, he managed to tip over the litterbox onto himself while he was peeing in it (that was a goddamn treat to wake up to, let me tell you), and after that, he refused to use any of the 3 litterboxes available to him. I always keep puppy training pads in front of the litterboxes, so that's where's he's been doing all of his excretory functions. (Specifically, in front of his one favorite box.)

The Problem: About a week ago, I managed to coax him back to using the litterbox to pee (simply by moving it forward a few inches, where the puppy pad usually sits). Hoorayy!!! Oh no, wait, don't celebrate yet. Unfortunately, he is still pooping on the puppy pad. Because he's doing it consistently in one spot and not all over the apartment, and because his stools look healthy now, I'm pretty sure this is a trauma holdover from The Nighttime Litterbox Disaster and not a medical issue.

The Question: How do I get my cat to poop in the litterbox again???

I've tried scooping his stools into the litterbox so he can make the association between the two again, but that hasn't changed anything. He always seems t noo do it while I sleep at night or am at work during the day, too. I don't really know what I can do to make the litterbox a more appealing option than the floor. :sigh:

A picture of this mystifying beast precious baby angel:

You might try Dr Elsey's Cat Attract litter. It's supposed to have pheromones to help them be more likely to use the box.

Or your cat might be like ours and just decide the litter box is not a place for pooping from now on, and the best you can do is puppy pads. (Thank goodness he uses those!)

The vet may have some other ideas for things to check, so be sure to let them know.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Rabbit Hill posted:

I don't really know what I can do to make the litterbox a more appealing option than the floor. :sigh:

I think after a long time of the litter box NOT attacking him that he will eventually go back to it. I’d just wait him out and be glad he’s willing to use a pad instead of pooping directly on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Get a new litterbox that looks different and if possible put it in a slightly different place. Then it will not be the place where the bad thing happened but instead a litterbox.