Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is Extrapolations a normal linear drama or is it an anthology show? Was kinda hard to tell from the trailer, but that cast list screamed ‘anthology’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is Extrapolations a normal linear drama or is it an anthology show? Was kinda hard to tell from the trailer, but that cast list screamed ‘anthology’

Bit of both, actually. It's progressing, telling different stories in anthology style. Each episode is years or decades after the last. But some of the characters are interconnected in ways, with the overall plot of a world struggling with climate change. If you watch up to and including Episode 4 you'll see that every episode is a bit interconnected. A character from the very first episode is affecting things in the 4th and even appears briefly.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah it's both, it's odd. The episodes have different casts, and are set in different times, but taken as single episodes they don't have the impact of an anthology show, they're actually setting up future episodes like a normal linear plot based show. They're showing climate change progress with time jumps so that's kinda expected, I think they shouldn't have marketed it as an anthology.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shrinking finale was cool. I think it just needs to pivot to full hangout sitcom though because it’s funny and likeable but any attempt at being anything deeper doesn’t really work for me and the final twist just brought that all back

I still don’t see how Hello Tomorrow is anything other than completely unexceptional :shrug:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I really enjoyed Shrinking. I've heard it's Ted Lasso but Worse, but I haven't seen Ted Lasso so that doesn't bother me. Jason Segal's acting/comedy really work for me, and I loved the whole cast. I'm sure I won't remember it in 20 years, but I had fun watching it.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Escobarbarian posted:

Shrinking finale was cool.

Boop!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

surf rock posted:

I really enjoyed Shrinking. I've heard it's Ted Lasso but Worse, but I haven't seen Ted Lasso so that doesn't bother me. Jason Segal's acting/comedy really work for me, and I loved the whole cast. I'm sure I won't remember it in 20 years, but I had fun watching it.

I mean they are both Bill Lawerence shows so they share the same DNA but they are fundamentally different in that Ted Lasso is a fish out of water/sports comedy/moments of pathos where Shrinking is more a traditional family sitcom with moments of pathos.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Escobarbarian posted:

I still don’t see how Hello Tomorrow is anything other than completely unexceptional :shrug:

I think the acting in Hello, Tomorrow! is exceptional. Crudup in full 50s aw shucks mode, Hank Azaria going full ham as a degenerate gambler, Allison Pill steadily becoming unhinged, etc etc. is all a lot of fun to watch. That being said, I haven’t watched the last two or three episodes because other stuff has been higher priority, so I guess that says something about the story itself.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I loving love Shrinking and I think the twist at the end was a little necessary, Jimmy is absolutely crossing so many lines all season and it would come off real badly if he really did just magically heal all of his patients with the power of loving up professional boundaries also in an "I'm a bad person" kind of way it was immensely satisfying watching that rear end in a top hat abusive husband get what was coming to him

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Found the first episode of Extrapolations a tough watch, even if inthibk it's off base in a lot of ways. Took me a hot minute to recognise Cara Gee.

Escobarbarian posted:

IMO the dialogue is exceptional, and the performances are grand. I got pretty emotional this last ep, too. Surprised by how much I care about the cast.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

surf rock posted:

I think they're both good in their own way. Ted Lasso is sillier, but still gives good vibes. The premise is ridiculous and Jason Sudekis is ridiculous in it, but if you can groove with his characters odd charm after a few episodes, it's infectious. The show balances itself out by giving us Roy Kent. I am still amazed at just how amazing Harrison Ford is in Shrinking. If I were sat next to him on a plane, I'd be tempted to pass him a note that said "Shrinking was the best thing you've done in 20 years".

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Fresh from Hollyweird rebooting Suicide Squad as THE Suicide Squad, Apple reboots Servant as THE Servant.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1640383290245783552

Oh no, it's The Savant.

Carry on.

They do like their "S" shows, don't they.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I watched the first episode of Hello Tomorrow when it dropped, and liked it well enough but haven’t gone back.

Without delving too deep into spoilers - does it ever really do much with it’s retro-sci-fi setting? Because after watching the first episode, I thought it was fun but that you could probably just set the show in the 50s with salesmen selling any old snake oil and the show wouldn’t be that different.

Is the sci-fi setting just a skin on top of a “conman salesman reconnects with his son” show, or is it more integral than that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it's somewhat dependent on the retro-future style for some plot points. I don't think it's just a skin, they do use its quirks to add to the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's mostly using it allegorically, to talk about current trends in technology / conmanship, but it's also using it to talk about madness which is kind of cool. I suspect it also justifies the theatrical language on display; without the alternate history justification it'd be more of an open question as to why everyone's talking like a Tennessee Williams fan.

So yeah, you could probably adapt it straight, without the sfnal stuff, and end up with something closer to Paper Moon. But you'd lose a lot of texture.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Found the first episode of Extrapolations a tough watch, even if inthibk it's off base in a lot of ways. Took me a hot minute to recognise Cara Gee.

Looks like I'm gonna be watching Extrapolations!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mental Hospitality posted:

I think they're both good in their own way. Ted Lasso is sillier, but still gives good vibes. The premise is ridiculous and Jason Sudekis is ridiculous in it, but if you can groove with his characters odd charm after a few episodes, it's infectious. The show balances itself out by giving us Roy Kent. I am still amazed at just how amazing Harrison Ford is in Shrinking. If I were sat next to him on a plane, I'd be tempted to pass him a note that said "Shrinking was the best thing you've done in 20 years".

If I was sitting next to Harrison Ford on a plane I'd be tempted to pass him a not that said "Tell my wife I love her".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Big Door Prize is fun. Chris O’Dowd is great.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

The Big Door Prize is fun. Chris O’Dowd is great.

Just googled it and what a fun, weird premise. I love shows like this

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched all three episodes so far and yeah I like it a lot. It’s like if The Leftovers was a comedy and had much much lower stakes.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea, I couldn't get through it. Not really my type of show. Which, from my experience with Severance, tells me it will be acclaimed and win a bunch of awards.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s like if The Leftovers was a comedy and had much much lower stakes.

That sounds sick. Now I’ve gotta check it out.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Escobarbarian posted:

Watched all three episodes so far and yeah I like it a lot. It’s like if The Leftovers was a comedy and had much much lower stakes.

I really liked it, it reminded me a lot of Lodge 49

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I'm not sure it's for me so far (just starting ep 2) but what the hell is with everyone going oh mysterious machine of dubious origin? wants my social security #? sure, why not. I guess I'm just too cynical for nice things because I would be like, oh I see I paid 50 cents to be scammed :smith:

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 30, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

I really liked it, it reminded me a lot of Lodge 49

Yeah it definitely has that vibe. God I loved that show

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a cute show, but Big Door Prize has the potential to turn really nasty with its premise (and I won't lie, I'll be sad to see it not do something a bit horrific with its Stephen King esque premise).

lol Josh Seguerra's insane restaurant (and lol at the show for trying to cast Josh Seguerra as an Italian, come on). He's the one with the liar card, surely.

Hawkperson posted:

I'm not sure it's for me so far (just starting ep 2) but what the hell is with everyone going oh mysterious machine of dubious origin? wants my social security #? sure, why not. I guess I'm just too cynical for nice things because I would be like, oh I see I paid 50 cents to be scammed :smith:

Oh yeah, and giving it your biometrics as well? Suss. But if everyone was jumping off the Harbour Bridge... I definitely wouldn't, but man I can see people doing it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It's a cute show, but Big Door Prize has the potential to turn really nasty with its premise (and I won't lie, I'll be sad to see it not do something a bit horrific with its Stephen King esque premise).

lol Josh Seguerra's insane restaurant (and lol at the show for trying to cast Josh Seguerra as an Italian, come on). He's the one with the liar card, surely.

Oh yeah, and giving it your biometrics as well? Suss. But if everyone was jumping off the Harbour Bridge... I definitely wouldn't, but man I can see people doing it.

The Liar card was in the trash in the school. It's definitely the kid whose brother died, and his other card he was photographed with is a fake

blue squares fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 30, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The Tetris movie is available now, anyone watched it yet? Suppose to be pretty dang good. Taron Egerton can basically do no wrong in my eyes. I've loved everything he's done since The Kingsman.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

blue squares posted:

The Liar card was in the trash in the school. It's definitely the kid whose brother died.

Don't we see his card at the start of the episode?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm probably not going to get to watch it until Tuesday but I'm super excited for it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I thought last weeks Hello Tomorrow! was the finale and thought that was a strange place to leave it. Glad there’s another one.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Don't we see his card at the start of the episode?

Yeah. I thought I was caught up, but I hadn't watched episode 3. So, since there is only one other important character in the school whose card we don't know yet, the liar card must belong to the daughter.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Extrapolations episode was really great I thought. I've read about wet bulb temps but is it really so bad you would pass out within a minute of being outside like they showed? That seems extreme, I imagined it's very dangerous but not so immediate.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Wet bulb temps are scary as gently caress. You can read the first chapter of Kim Stanley Robinson's The Ministry for the Future on Amazon(For some reason it won't let me open it.) It covers a wet bulb event in India that kills millions. It also features a bit where a group of Indians steal the generator from a Western NGO worker so that they can provide relief to the many rather than the few.

https://www.amazon.com/Ministry-Future-Kim-Stanley-Robinson-ebook/dp/B084FY1NXB/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1680296138&sr=8-1

Overall a good episode, I'm curious what Alpha's endgame is other than being a mashup of Elon Musk and a Paolo Baciagalupi villain.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

ShowTime posted:

The Tetris movie is available now, anyone watched it yet? Suppose to be pretty dang good. Taron Egerton can basically do no wrong in my eyes. I've loved everything he's done since The Kingsman.

I haven’t seen it yet but I thought he was great in that Elton John biop so it’s definitely on my watch list.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ninurta posted:

Wet bulb temps are scary as gently caress. You can read the first chapter of Kim Stanley Robinson's The Ministry for the Future on Amazon(For some reason it won't let me open it.) It covers a wet bulb event in India that kills millions. It also features a bit where a group of Indians steal the generator from a Western NGO worker so that they can provide relief to the many rather than the few.

https://www.amazon.com/Ministry-Future-Kim-Stanley-Robinson-ebook/dp/B084FY1NXB/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1680296138&sr=8-1

Overall a good episode, I'm curious what Alpha's endgame is other than being a mashup of Elon Musk and a Paolo Baciagalupi villain.

Yeah I knew they were very scary I just didn't know if they were "you have 45 seconds after you go outside before you pass out" scary or if that was played up for dramatic effect.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

D-Pad posted:

Yeah I knew they were very scary I just didn't know if they were "you have 45 seconds after you go outside before you pass out" scary or if that was played up for dramatic effect.

I'm Indian and the episode resonated with me a lot.

India was kinda like that pre-climate change, in the sense that at certain times of day, at certain times of year, localised entirely within your kitchen...you can die very quickly. Historically, part of the reason that dark skinned people in India are the lower caste is because they were the ones made to work outside and thus had a de facto lower status in the hierarchy. They've been vulnerable to heat death the entire time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ninurta posted:

Does this mean something different in the show? A wet bulb temperature is just a reading from a thermometer with a wet cloth around the bulb. There's nothing inherently dangerous about it.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Cojawfee posted:

Does this mean something different in the show? A wet bulb temperature is just a reading from a thermometer with a wet cloth around the bulb. There's nothing inherently dangerous about it.

I didn't know about the original one, the one referred to in the book & show is the wet bulb globe effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-bulb_globe_temperature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ninurta posted:

I didn't know about the original one, the one referred to in the book & show is the wet bulb globe effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-bulb_globe_temperature

So then why are you saying "Wet bulb temps are scary as gently caress"? The only time I ever worried about them was when I was in tech school in the air force and it magically changed from black flag to red flag at PT time in the afternoon. Then, when PT was over, it magically changed back to black flag conditions again.