Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
rushing in pages late to exclaim, "Holy poo poo, myhouse.pk3!!!!!!"

What a pleasant and wonderful series of surprises, so many moments had me grinning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Power Walrus posted:

rushing in pages late to exclaim, "Holy poo poo, myhouse.pk3!!!!!!"

What a pleasant and wonderful series of surprises, so many moments had me grinning.

Agreed. I really like the "scary" remix of the music.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

no rest for the living is genuinely a goddamn treat in terms of how well it's put together and i need more doomheads to experience it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its me, I complained directly to god to get No Rest for the Living put into the new bethesda doom releases.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It is genuinely a crime that a .wad this good was just hiding out in the BFG release.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive been yelling about it since the 360 days cause a) 4 player coop Doom 2 fuckin rules and b) No Rest for the Living kicked rear end and nobody was talking about how good it was

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

Ive been yelling about it since the 360 days cause a) 4 player coop Doom 2 fuckin rules and b) No Rest for the Living kicked rear end and nobody was talking about how good it was

i'm not taking fps advice from the guy who willingly played witchhaven 2 in 2023

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Arivia posted:

i'm not taking fps advice from the guy who willingly played witchhaven 2 in 2023

well, I am. It's like taking advice from a doctor who also samples his medicine cabinet: sure, he's lost his mind and control of his bowels, but imagine the *good poo poo* that doctor has seen.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arivia posted:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Christlike in that he played it so you don't have to

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
My favourite thing about Barudak and the Witchhaven debacle was how they made no acknowledgment of the thread's reaction to their playing it. They just kept cheerfully reporting back on their masochistic behaviour.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm pretty sure that this is how cults are formed.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Meanwhile, Civvie's back already and finally tackling a much-requested mapset, albeit probably not in the way you would have predicted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR5IECWEouw

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

The Kins posted:

Meanwhile, Civvie's back already and finally tackling a much-requested mapset, albeit probably not in the way you would have predicted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR5IECWEouw

A friend send me a picture of his setup.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
What the hell

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Barudak levels of masochism

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Angryhead posted:

It essentially emulates my IRL FOV so I am all for it

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

In Decino's latest nightmare plus all items video, he shows off a little-known fact about playing Nirvana on Nightmare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdM93azRUr4

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't get it.
I mean, I get it's an April Fools video and it's not Nirvana but no idea where the joke is. Maybe the corridors on the map trace letters?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The joke with a lot of April Fools videos is taking something ridiculous or terrible and playing it straight, not something with a setup and punchline like a standup comedian would deliver, hth

welcome to earth though, I hope you enjoy your stay

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Angryhead posted:

Hey, I got the same monitor!

With Tiktok being so popular, and now Youtube shorts, it's only a matter of time before widescreen is completely phased out. It's nice to see a fellow tallscreen and retro fps enjoyer

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm pretty sure Deus Ex supports portrait aspect ratios natively too. Someone should make a list.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
It does

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

I'm pretty sure Deus Ex supports portrait aspect ratios natively too. Someone should make a list.

someone should make a list alright...

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Predicted 9/11 and TikTok

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Portrait mode is awesome for vertically scrolling shmups and some other classic arcade games.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
myhouse really is as good as people say it is, even though it ran like absolute trash on my potato laptop, particularly the very last section. whole thing was a treat and very impressive

can't believe a doom wad got me to read house of leaves but here we are

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im a little over 1/3rd into Witchaven and all I can wonder is what happened to the level designers between games. Witchaven 1 is still messy as all hell in places (Ive just had two stages where 90% of the playtime was just desperately trying to figure out how to get into the one room that has the literal one key I need to progress while everything else is dead ends) but theres room over room, landmarks, theming, cool moving parts of the level that are just fully absent in the sequel. I can also see further in most rooms so I know what Im looking at and where I am.

Even more baffling the sequel has some different enemies than the first game when the new enemies would have been excellent to combine with the first games roster short comings and create a Doom 2 style synthesis.

Amusingly enough though a single bug seems to be the determining factor in difficulty between the two games. In Witchaven 1 the item thats supposed to block damage on chance does so 50% of the time and never runs out. In the sequel it does nothing.

Oh and the damage system is baffling in both games but in Witchaven 1 its so obviously wrong on paper that I gotta assume the code does not store damage values anywhere near each other.

I am slightly worried though because open door is a way more rare spell in Witchaven 1 and you get one cast per pick up, not 3 and Ive encountered already a broken switch that blocked literally the only room you need to open to finish the level.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 2, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

HolyKrap posted:

With Tiktok being so popular, and now Youtube shorts, it's only a matter of time before widescreen is completely phased out. It's nice to see a fellow tallscreen and retro fps enjoyer

Do you ever put two monitors like this side-by-side? That would be cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm gonna go right in the middle, and say we go back to a boxy 4:3, we had it right the first time folks. Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Cowboy Bebop, Transformers: The Movie 1986 (Orson Welles again), ain't nothing wrong with that. Hedge our bets.

(I don't really believe this, and I need a TV to watch Tarantino movies and spaghetti westerns. Maybe a transforming TV that changes shape... actually a giant square really would kind of serve all purposes. I'm getting into the idea.)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
zack snyder was leading the 4:3 revolution with his justice league edit

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

Im a little over 1/3rd into Witchaven and all I can wonder is what happened to the level designers between games.
Witchaven is very, very loosely based on a pen and paper RPG supplement they licensed for a song. The first game kinda sorta traces the basic level layouts from that supplement’s dungeons, as I understand it.

Also: Basically everyone at Capstone was inexperienced and under the yoke of low budgets, tight deadlines and bad management, hence their constant stream of Deadset Winners. WH2 was right at the end of Capstone, so they probably had even less runway than usual.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm gonna go right in the middle, and say we go back to a boxy 4:3, we had it right the first time folks. Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Cowboy Bebop, Transformers: The Movie 1986 (Orson Welles again), ain't nothing wrong with that. Hedge our bets.

(I don't really believe this, and I need a TV to watch Tarantino movies and spaghetti westerns. Maybe a transforming TV that changes shape... actually a giant square really would kind of serve all purposes. I'm getting into the idea.)

I use a CRT for my main display like a freak and movies honestly look great despite the aspect ratio, the bars on the top and bottom arent a huge problem (though i fear if i watch too much 16:9 content the bars will get burned into my screen)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I get the tracing the supplement for the dungeons since I did see that, but things like descending rock staircases, room over room, elevators, crouch passages, and heck just even a rudimentary effort to room decoration are absent in the sequel. Lot more breakable stain glass windows in the sequel though

Anyway gonna go look into build editors and start working on Witchaven 3 (I am not going to do this)

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

HolyKrap posted:

I ran one of those Family Guy reupload channels for a bit as an experiement and this is how I edited them

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

site posted:

zack snyder was leading the 4:3 revolution with his justice league edit

Absolutely! It's hip to be square.

dlrry posted:

I use a CRT for my main display like a freak and movies honestly look great despite the aspect ratio, the bars on the top and bottom arent a huge problem (though i fear if i watch too much 16:9 content the bars will get burned into my screen)

Right on.

Barudak posted:

I get the tracing the supplement for the dungeons since I did see that, but things like descending rock staircases, room over room, elevators, crouch passages, and heck just even a rudimentary effort to room decoration are absent in the sequel. Lot more breakable stain glass windows in the sequel though

Anyway gonna go look into build editors and start working on Witchaven 3 (I am not going to do this)

I think a lot of good ideas start off as a joke, it's gonna be great.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Barudak posted:

You can't go with Build again. You gotta look to the future, from their perspective. Can you still license LithTech 1.0?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Kins posted:

Witchaven is very, very loosely based on a pen and paper RPG supplement they licensed for a song. The first game kinda sorta traces the basic level layouts from that supplement’s dungeons, as I understand it.

Also: Basically everyone at Capstone was inexperienced and under the yoke of low budgets, tight deadlines and bad management, hence their constant stream of Deadset Winners. WH2 was right at the end of Capstone, so they probably had even less runway than usual.

Do you know what supplement, out of curiosity?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arivia posted:

Do you know what supplement, out of curiosity?

Its a set of dungeons called, Witchaven, published by Wyrm Works

Edit: I will note that level 4 which is a roughly 1:1 recreation of a map in the supplement, is dogshit and the entire second half of the map is effectively optional.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

With the help of two friends, I threw an old CRT off of a bridge (back when I was still doing that sort of thing) and the noise it made when it hit the ground was like a bomb going off.

I doubt I could accomplish the same feat with a modern OLED.