Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Pasketti posted:

Sounds very Soviet block animation

What kinda messed-up sesame street did your parents show you :dogstare:

Today you can learn that Jim Henson was actually a super pervy weirdo hornball whose only academy award nomination was for an acid trip:

https://youtu.be/WJhcDhHAH1k

Great watch though, dude rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Pasketti posted:

What kinda messed-up sesame street did your parents show you :dogstare:

there was some real freaky experimental animation in the early years that was still being recycled into the 90s

*epilepsy warning*

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x36q3id

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Pasketti posted:

In the thread's secondary spirit of discovery, it's worth noting that it's "bloc" in this usage. (It comes from French for... block.)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nobody can identify the tech commercial jingle from the '90s? I thought sure someone might remember what company had that tune in its commercials.

I'm just curious because the jingle gets into my head sometimes and I can't remember where it comes from.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Nobody can identify the tech commercial jingle from the '90s? I thought sure someone might remember what company had that tune in its commercials.

I'm just curious because the jingle gets into my head sometimes and I can't remember where it comes from.

If it's intel, it's probably gonna be the intel play (89 seconds in), but that's still not what you sequenced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW8LLhHq9_c&t=89s

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Looking for this animated short from the 1970’s (possibly 1960’s) that featured mostly abstract shapes moving an interacting in an urban setting. Lots of purple. Tone was one of fear, danger, strife. No words that I can remember. Just music. Lots of repeating sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2_dhUv_CrI

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Grassy Knowles posted:

If it's intel, it's probably gonna be the intel play (89 seconds in), but that's still not what you sequenced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW8LLhHq9_c&t=89s

No, I was thinking of Intel's four note tune when I first posted but it must not have been Intel. Thanks though; I think it was a company similar to Intel.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
There was a long form article from maybe 2 or 3 years ago that vividly described earth's climate in various past epochs. I think it may have worked backward from the present, it may have been an excerpt from a book, and it may have been linked to climate change. Anyone have any idea?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

I've been looking for a song I heard on a program on NOW Channel for years now. All I remember, somehow, are the last two verses, which went something like this
"I am your darker side within, everyone/The Winter Man" and stop. It's not a whole lot to go on, but if anyone can help me it's appreciated. :tipshat:

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I've been looking for this for a while. A long time ago, possibly even before the internet, my dad found a list someone had compiled of all the things that Charles Ingalls, from the Little House of the Prairie books, was described as being able to do at least competently. It was impressively long, over 40 discreet items as I remember. It might have been from the front of Harpers magazine.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

porfiria posted:

There was a long form article from maybe 2 or 3 years ago that vividly described earth's climate in various past epochs. I think it may have worked backward from the present, it may have been an excerpt from a book, and it may have been linked to climate change. Anyone have any idea?

Maybe this?

https://www.pablocarlosbudassi.com/2021/02/nature-timespiral.html?m=1

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I used to have a non- MST3K copy of the final sacrifice and now that I would like to have it for a project I'm doing I can't find it.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

zone posted:

I've been looking for a song I heard on a program on NOW Channel for years now. All I remember, somehow, are the last two verses, which went something like this
"I am your darker side within, everyone/The Winter Man" and stop. It's not a whole lot to go on, but if anyone can help me it's appreciated. :tipshat:

maaybe Tin Man by Future Islands?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMVs8AIXuqs

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A blog post from around 2002. A guy was describing the process of getting a stag's head tattooed on either his left or right pectoral. He emailed the artist of the stag drawing or painting to ask permission to get it tattooed and the artist agreed. His next couple of photos were concept art of how to tattoo would look as well as different sizes, next to a ruler.

I've searched for this off and on the past twenty years but many many people have gotten stag heads tattooed on their chests in the years since. It's possible that this was on livejournal because I spent a lot of time on this site around 2002.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kosmo Gallion posted:

A blog post from around 2002. A guy was describing the process of getting a stag's head tattooed on either his left or right pectoral. He emailed the artist of the stag drawing or painting to ask permission to get it tattooed and the artist agreed. His next couple of photos were concept art of how to tattoo would look as well as different sizes, next to a ruler.

I've searched for this off and on the past twenty years but many many people have gotten stag heads tattooed on their chests in the years since. It's possible that this was on livejournal because I spent a lot of time on this site around 2002.

Sounds familiar as a fellow lj person, but also a stag head is a super common swingers symbol so gl

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

I brought my Drake posted:

I used to have a non- MST3K copy of the final sacrifice and now that I would like to have it for a project I'm doing I can't find it.

Check your pm's

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Growing up, my mother bought some kid's activities books. These were shortish books probably no more than 30 pages, and each book was a different color of the rainbow. I want to say that there were 40 books or so. And I would guess sometime in the 70s or so for publication based on the illustrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

calandryll posted:

Growing up, my mother bought some kid's activities books. These were shortish books probably no more than 30 pages, and each book was a different color of the rainbow. I want to say that there were 40 books or so. And I would guess sometime in the 70s or so for publication based on the illustrations.

Highlights Magazine used to have all different colored covers, and has been around forever.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

Sounds familiar as a fellow lj person, but also a stag head is a super common swingers symbol so gl

I thought this was pineapples.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I thought this was pineapples.

They both are

Novah
Jan 18, 2006

#1 Party Dinosaur!
Spooky train art.

There was a website with a bunch of digital art, most of which had something to do with subways or street car type trains. The one I remember most vividly had two people (maybe holding each other) on a train platform with a single street lamp overhead, surrounded by a dark void. The platform was suspended by a metal pole and there was no where to go except wait for the train.

Another was a subway train crawling from a tunnel like a caterpillar and I think it was eating up the grass on the ground, or maybe it was eating the tracks.

Anyway the art was so spooky it still invades my nightmares sometimes.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Lathespin.gif posted:

Check your pm's

I am not kidding when I said you made my day, kind goon. :patriot:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

my office is now super clean, no TMNT #1

wondering if I sold it for $50 back in VA at some point

ah well

the 3x MakeNoise XPO i could instantly buy if I still had this comic :(

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

I brought my Drake posted:

I am not kidding when I said you made my day, kind goon. :patriot:

The Final Sacrifice is absolutely top tier Canadian schlock and a personal all-time favorite, glad to help :tipshat:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is a follow-up to a post from a while back about the cat answering machine message. I actually found the message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWyRVZ0s5tg&t=190s

It occurred to me while watching classic commercials on Youtube (yeah, I'm weird) that the cat in my answering message was very much like Morris the Cat (a spokescat I had completely forgotten about).

e:

Another update. I found the "good breakfast" commercial I asked about three-ish years ago. It was a Trident ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wf8acG7oS0

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 21, 2023

Window Kisser
Feb 4, 2016
I'm looking for something called October electro. It's a mash up of electronic covers of songs. It was posted on something awful awful years ago and I haven't been able to find it. It had American boy, crystal castles, etc.

If anyone can help it would make my roommates day.

Window Kisser fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 14, 2023

sundaymorning
Sep 1, 2019

I've been trying to find the first 'horror' or 'scary' movie I ever watched. I watched it when I was like maybe 12 or early teens in early 2010s I think. I want to say it revolved mainly around a group of kids that were around 10 years old, and there was this 'monster' that lived in the tunnels under the town and would come out and kill people. I think the kids or one of them at least explores the tunnels towards the end (or they might have been throughout much of the movie actually) and finds the monster and it is revealed its like some guy that is maybe quite physically scarred or something and mentally not all there and was maybe abused or shunned in the past or something and that's why he is some murderous guy living in the tunnels now???
I remember a VERY significant side plot is that one of the kids is in a single parent household, his mom being the single parent, and the mom is revealed to be like..... sexually abusive towards him I think? I watched this as a kid and I don't think I realised the gravity of how hosed up that was at the time and how badly the movie probably dealt with such a serious topic like that.
I might be misremembering parts but I don't think anything major. I haven't been able to find anything by searching for horror movies for underground tunnels or horror movies where children are abused or anything, so I feel like someone is only gonna be able to get this if they also saw the movie but actually remember what its called.

I'd really love to be able to find it because it actually seemed to have some interesting themes/topics but I am almost SURE that it was some incredibly crappy b-movie that did not deal with the themes well at all.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Very I can't believe it's not Stephen King's It

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It would help to know the decade, to the degree your memories suggest one, or where you saw it. Did it look 80s? Was it on cable or broadcast? Afternoon? Late-night? Weekend?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Flipperwaldt posted:

Very I can't believe it's not Stephen King's It

I was thinking the Tim Curry version of "It," too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sundaymorning posted:

I've been trying to find the first 'horror' or 'scary' movie I ever watched. I watched it when I was like maybe 12 or early teens in early 2010s I think. I want to say it revolved mainly around a group of kids that were around 10 years old, and there was this 'monster' that lived in the tunnels under the town and would come out and kill people. I think the kids or one of them at least explores the tunnels towards the end (or they might have been throughout much of the movie actually) and finds the monster and it is revealed its like some guy that is maybe quite physically scarred or something and mentally not all there and was maybe abused or shunned in the past or something and that's why he is some murderous guy living in the tunnels now???
I remember a VERY significant side plot is that one of the kids is in a single parent household, his mom being the single parent, and the mom is revealed to be like..... sexually abusive towards him I think? I watched this as a kid and I don't think I realised the gravity of how hosed up that was at the time and how badly the movie probably dealt with such a serious topic like that.
I might be misremembering parts but I don't think anything major. I haven't been able to find anything by searching for horror movies for underground tunnels or horror movies where children are abused or anything, so I feel like someone is only gonna be able to get this if they also saw the movie but actually remember what its called.

I'd really love to be able to find it because it actually seemed to have some interesting themes/topics but I am almost SURE that it was some incredibly crappy b-movie that did not deal with the themes well at all.

CD suggested the 2012 TV movie Ghoul, which seems like a real good fit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b75-lgs3cMM

Edit: I found a review which mentions that one of the main characters is molested by his drunken mother

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Looking for this animated short from the 1970’s (possibly 1960’s) that featured mostly abstract shapes moving an interacting in an urban setting. Lots of purple. Tone was one of fear, danger, strife. No words that I can remember. Just music. Lots of repeating sequences.

I found it!

https://youtu.be/IL45YOtbuy0

1983. I was close.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Seems like a Sesame Street bit but IDK much about sesame street to help

The same animator apparently did some of those too.

https://youtu.be/y223gPkk_lI

sundaymorning
Sep 1, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

CD suggested the 2012 TV movie Ghoul, which seems like a real good fit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b75-lgs3cMM

Edit: I found a review which mentions that one of the main characters is molested by his drunken mother

What the gently caress yeah thats it. I am actually amazed you found it so quickly I have been looking for this on and off for years. I need to watch this soon to see how terrible it actually was.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

About 10-12 years ago, a goon made a thread about a box of slides they bought at an antique or pawn shop for next to nothing (although I’m also thinking they found the box at a deceased relative’s home they were cleaning out). They scanned and digitized almost all of them and found the slides to be from some sort of promotional parade put on by Budweiser beer, and from the looks of the era, it was circa 1980-1984.

It was like a small town parade with Budweiser logos and cans visible everywhere and I think even the Clydesdale horses were in some pictures. It was an interesting time capsule of the early ‘80s and I’m certain the pictures were probably on Waffleimages and no longer exist, but does anyone remember this thread?

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010
When I was in middle school (we're talkin... late 80s?) our music teacher played a song that was supposed to teach you what Measures meant. It might've been a video, or even one of those beep beep manually advanced filmstrips, or just a record. Anyway there was a male voiceover that said, "MEASURE IN THREE!" and then it played a kind of boppy easy listening song. The voice goes, "MEASURE IN FOUR!" and the song changes accordingly. I want to hear that song again! Anyone???

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Different genre, but this one kinda grew on me regardless, so thank you kindly for trying.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
A friend of mine is looking for a video and described it as "a goofy video floating around where like a 90s cool computer guy is sitting at a computer and he shows you images and says to guess if it is real or a simulation, and he's like "FOOL! It was a simulation!".

I couldn't find what he was talking about, any ideas?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

thedangergroove posted:

A friend of mine is looking for a video and described it as "a goofy video floating around where like a 90s cool computer guy is sitting at a computer and he shows you images and says to guess if it is real or a simulation, and he's like "FOOL! It was a simulation!".

I couldn't find what he was talking about, any ideas?

Sounds right out if Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction.

https://youtu.be/tW86QdnqEhY

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sundaymorning posted:

What the gently caress yeah thats it. I am actually amazed you found it so quickly I have been looking for this on and off for years. I need to watch this soon to see how terrible it actually was.

Someone uploaded it to Dailymotion in parts but only the last half hour is still up: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6whblx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Some western where they do that thing where they turn in a bounty to be executed and shoot the rope so they can escape but for some reason they don't shoot this time, they might have been stopped. Gonna laugh if it was one of the obvious ones