Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Looks good man. Not the before shot though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Planet X posted:

Dines on homemade pizza Saturday night washed down with red wine :getin:

I'd eat that.

If the :chloe: is for the wine pairing, maybe…

naem
May 29, 2011

out if curiosity I bought a tin of Northern©️ Catch™️ dines in mustard from Aldi©️™️©️

they are worth every bit of the $1.25 they cost

I wouldn’t seek these out but you could do much worse for protein in a pinch

I picked mustard because that covers weird flavors that might be present in lower quality products pretty well

it appears to be generic yellow mustard instead of a fancy sauce like some brands seem to do

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
sardines on pizza? You do you! Just be safe.

I like anchovies so I can't be too mad

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
artichoke hearts are an s-tier pizza topping too

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I have 2 tins of the KO kipper snacks in the cabinet

Haven't decided on eating them straight or mixing them with eggs for breakfast yet.

The smell grosses my husband out but I think it smells just like bacon

Probably do eggs, tomato, onion and kippers, I know the baby will eat it with me.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yeah sardines on the pizza was definitely experimental and unplanned. We were late having dinner, so we opened up a can to munch on while the pizzas were being prepared then ended up throwing the few left in the can onto the last pizza for fun. Wasn't gross but also isn't something we're likely to do again.

I'd normally never put fish with cheese, but mozzarella is pretty neutral and the crispiness of the crust offset the texture of the sardines, and a dollop of sriracha rounded it out.

Treecko posted:

Probably do eggs, tomato, onion and kippers, I know the baby will eat it with me.

Yes, do this. I assume you know about fishermans eggs, thats a great option.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I tried the expensive Fishwife stuff and they aren't worth it.

Smoked Trout: it's super dry with a tiny bit of olive oil in the can. The flavor is nice but it tastes more like a fish jerky.

Salmon x Fly By Jing: Moist and delicious but also mega salty.

Conclusion: neither of them are worth $14 per can. That's like more than fancy restaurant pricing where you get an 8oz salmon and sides for ~$30. Go to a normal restaurant for even cheaper.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

got a dozen cans of Bela w/Piri-Piri for Xmas, still have eight of em -

they don't seem as delicious as when they were branded as having Cayenne, and don't have peppers in em anymore. Whatever I will still eat them and probably buy them

also got a can of the Aldi brand from my mom, who knows I like canfish but not what kinds- good to know it's an edible buck-and-a-half can!

rn my favorite cheap dines are Nissui packed in miso paste, about $2 at my local east Asian market- fkn delicious as an ingredient, basically comes with concentrated miso soup, so dump it into some broth and you got a hearty stew going

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Mu Zeta posted:

I tried the expensive Fishwife stuff and they aren't worth it.

Smoked Trout: it's super dry with a tiny bit of olive oil in the can. The flavor is nice but it tastes more like a fish jerky.

Salmon x Fly By Jing: Moist and delicious but also mega salty.

Conclusion: neither of them are worth $14 per can. That's like more than fancy restaurant pricing where you get an 8oz salmon and sides for ~$30. Go to a normal restaurant for even cheaper.

I was going to post something similar. My brother in law and his wife were in town several weeks back, and they brought a can of Salmon x Fly By Jing chili crisp flavor. Gorgeous packaging, and yes, great to support a small woman owned business that sources from local, sustainable fisheries within the US. That's not going to be cheap, but I did a double take when I saw the $18 price tag on it. It's just too much to pay for a can of tinned fish.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My "favorite" restaurant gimmick is having a tinned fish plate on the menu where they just (maybe) warm and open a can of sardines and put it on a board with like two lemon wedges and a pile of salt (wtf?). Plus all the charred bread you can choke down. For like 20 bucks

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

Sardines?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cross-posting from the weird street food thread.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lol came here to do the same. :kiss:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Planet X posted:

Wife got me this for valentines day. She's a kipper. :unsmith:

We made the deviled eggs in this and they were amazing. Topped them with Trader Joe's house sardines, a nice flaky fish.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Peanut Butler posted:

rn my favorite cheap dines are Nissui packed in miso paste, about $2 at my local east Asian market- fkn delicious as an ingredient, basically comes with concentrated miso soup, so dump it into some broth and you got a hearty stew going

I made this thin-rear end post while p drunk, but here's a pic-
if you see these, do not sleep on them, they're excellent and a great meal-starter
idk how they are at room temp, I've always heated em up or mixed em into soup or something

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I've had a can of those sitting around in my dine stash for a while. Might be today's afternoon snack.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

5.5 oz can of "california girl sardines in a spicy tomato sauce"

perfectly adequate. 4 medium size sardines in small pop top can with very slightly spicy tomato sauce that wasn't ketchupy. you could probably dump this straight onto a plate of pasta and have something good. i ate it on some weirdly long crackers that are just about going stale

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

issuing a "do not eat" warning for the bumble bee smoke flavor salmon in a tin. it is normal canned salmon that someone stubbed a cigarette out in. absolutely not compatible with the tinned fish food lifestyle

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

hifi posted:

issuing a "do not eat" warning for the bumble bee smoke flavor salmon in a tin. it is normal canned salmon that someone stubbed a cigarette out in. absolutely not compatible with the tinned fish food lifestyle

Thank you for your sacrifice.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Stitch posted:

Rock over London, rock on Chicago

King Oscar - just eat the dang bones

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Weltlich posted:

Thank you for your sacrifice.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I write a food blog, and occasionally I'll write a recurring feature called The 'Dines List, in which I review different sardines. My first one was about some of my favorite sardines that I recommend for beginners and skeptics, and my second was a deep dive into different 'dines from Morocco.

I just published my third 'Dines List feature, featuring sardines from Portugal. I hope someone enjoys it:

https://saboscrivner.com/2023/03/26/the-dines-list-portugal/

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Good read, good 'dines, good job.

I still haven't tried Nuri. I've got 12 cans of Matiz arriving today though hell yeah :coolfish:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Peanut Butler posted:

Just tried the ones in the yellow can, the miso one straight up, and you’re right. It’s like they’re designed to go in a bowl of dashi. I’ll do that next time.

Red can, the sweet soy flavor, is OK, but not good enough to try again.

It a really bothers me that I never ate sardines from the can with chopsticks before, it seemed to damned obvious when I was looking at these cans.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

isaboo posted:

Good read, good 'dines, good job.

I still haven't tried Nuri. I've got 12 cans of Matiz arriving today though hell yeah :coolfish:

if you're procrastinating on your 'dine eatin', it better be because you're too busy writing

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
friend, you will be pleased to know sardines have already been referenced in the story I'm working on

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Remulak posted:

It a really bothers me that I never ate sardines from the can with chopsticks before, it seemed to damned obvious when I was looking at these cans.

I keep my dinestix in a cup by the sink. It's the only way to fly

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

I made this thin-rear end post while p drunk, but here's a pic-
if you see these, do not sleep on them, they're excellent and a great meal-starter
idk how they are at room temp, I've always heated em up or mixed em into soup or something

Wish I wasn't out of kimchi or I woulda thrown some of that in with this.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w23N46lIToI

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's some uncanny valley poo poo right there

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The KO youtube account is at 948 subscribers. Let's get this poo poo to 1000!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3qGAuK4jtM

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Legit thought this was going to be the whole family eating together and the dad dine'in alone over the sink

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Fartington Butts posted:

The KO youtube account is at 948 subscribers. Let's get this poo poo to 1000!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3qGAuK4jtM

subscribed, bought him an SA account

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

nordic pizza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pIzLs2KJUM

naem
May 29, 2011

nothing quite like eating fish with a wine glass of orange juice

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Part of a balanced breakfast

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
just had a tin of spiced nuri in tomato sauce on some crackers. that's the good poo poo

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Look at those chonky fuckers. Just 3 big rear end calamari.

And they're filled with yummies too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
What are they stuffed with? They look tasty as poo poo