Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nice! I've considered getting an Extreme 5320 for home use, but those are hardly free :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
OK my current router seems to be dying, and I'm moving to a new place soon, so I need help finding a new router.
My connection at my new place is going to be 300down/30up (canada :(), in an apartment.

I'm going to have 3-5 wired devices, and a handful of wireless where the speed doesn't really matter much.
I assume pretty much any random wifi router and a cheap switch can handle that nowadays?
So even just a simple "this brand good, this brand sucks" would be helpful.
Where I am all of the locally available 'under $300' stuff seems to be a mix of ASUS, D-Link, and TP-Link.

Edit: an aside: I decided to try to look up OpenWRT supported routers, but it seems that not a single one sold nearby is on their supported devices list? IDK if I was Doing It Wrong or if canada has different model numbers or what.

BadMedic fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 30, 2023

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
What's everyone with stupid fast home fiber doing hardware-wise these days?

I've been using pfSense for years on a Netgate SG2440 which is fine for up to gigabit speeds, but now I've moved to a neighborhood which has AT&T's 2/2 and 5/5 service available. I got the 2/2 for now and probably won't upgrade any time soon, but for the sake of futureproofing I'd really like to build something that could at least handle a full 5/5 if I ever do choose to make the jump. Unfortunately that knocks out all of the cheap quad 2.5G Atom boxes that are everywhere on the internet.

I have a strong preference for x86 hardware just due to the number of choices on the software side, but I'm open to anything if it makes sense.

Is there any appliance-style hardware in this range worth looking at, or should I just pick up a few NICs and find some compact PC hardware to stick it in? Or maybe just stick it in my server and virtualize the whole thing?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I let AT&T's router do NAT, then use a Mikrotik router/switch (CRS326-24G-2S+IN) to give me more ports. If I had the option to ditch AT&T's router entirely I would do that and probably just let the Mikrotik box do NAT as well, but since it's required to authenticate the connection and will be drawing power anyway I might as well make it work.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

wolrah posted:

I've been using pfSense for years on a Netgate SG2440 which is fine for up to gigabit speeds, but now I've moved to a neighborhood which has AT&T's 2/2 and 5/5 service available. I got the 2/2 for now and probably won't upgrade any time soon, but for the sake of futureproofing I'd really like to build something that could at least handle a full 5/5 if I ever do choose to make the jump. Unfortunately that knocks out all of the cheap quad 2.5G Atom boxes that are everywhere on the internet.

I have a strong preference for x86 hardware just due to the number of choices on the software side, but I'm open to anything if it makes sense.

Is there any appliance-style hardware in this range worth looking at, or should I just pick up a few NICs and find some compact PC hardware to stick it in? Or maybe just stick it in my server and virtualize the whole thing?

You could get quad port 10gbe card and shove that in a SFF whatever that has a pcie slot

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

This thing exists:
https://www.servethehome.com/the-gowin-r86s-revolution-low-power-2-5gbe-and-10gbe-intel-nvidia/

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

:popeye:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Why is my unifi poo poo suddenly refusing to reliably hand out DHCP leases? New device connects, shows up in the console, but with a self-assigned IP. Reboot the AP, WHOOPS, sorry here's IPs everyone!

Everything's fully updated, but with Ubiquiti, that's probably my problem.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
ubiquiti does everything but firewalls pretty well ime, I vastly prefer a home rolled pf/opn sense to ubiquiti’s offerings

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I still keep thinkin bout gettin a UDM SE even though it’s silly overkill. I just am a sucker for the slick interfaces :haw:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
same and then I dive into unifi firewall reviews and go nah

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

priznat posted:

I still keep thinkin bout gettin a UDM SE even though it’s silly overkill. I just am a sucker for the slick interfaces :haw:

I will probably get one eventually and justify it by running some of their cameras.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
cloud key gen2+ is cheaper for cameras if you’re going that route

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

e.pilot posted:

same and then I dive into unifi firewall reviews and go nah

Who has a good review? I have done some lazy googling but nothing has come up other than some youtubers that are clearly fully in the ubiquiti ecosystem.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

e.pilot posted:

cloud key gen2+ is cheaper for cameras if you’re going that route

I waffle, but I don't have any PoE or unifi switches so that's my baloney excuse to buy more expensive stuff.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
If you are seriously looking at spending 200+ for a stand alone router for home use just go with a pfsense/opensense build.

I’d run BlueIris or a Synology for cameras way before I’d ever consider Unifi Protect.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cyks posted:

If you are seriously looking at spending 200+ for a stand alone router for home use just go with a pfsense/opensense build.

I’d run BlueIris or a Synology for cameras way before I’d ever consider Unifi Protect.

Yeah i bought a lil celeron powered HP S01 refurbed for like $140 and an intel quad NIC and set up OPNsense and called it a day

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
My ubiquiti setup was massively improved by upgrading to a UDM Pro. To be fair I was coming from a USGv3 which seemed to be pretty terrible to me, but the UDM Pro has been rock solid with multiple vlans and SSIDs. I'm sure my network isn't particularly complicated compared to what others may have, especially if you are looking for fine grained control of IPtables type rules etc, but it's been great for me.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

wolrah posted:

If you wanna stick with something FreeBSD-based, it can do in excess of 20Gbps bidirectional stateful firewalling.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Eletriarnation posted:

I let AT&T's router do NAT, then use a Mikrotik router/switch (CRS326-24G-2S+IN) to give me more ports. If I had the option to ditch AT&T's router entirely I would do that and probably just let the Mikrotik box do NAT as well, but since it's required to authenticate the connection and will be drawing power anyway I might as well make it work.
You can in fact bypass AT&T's router entirely and use a standalone ONT if you have the right equipment.

There's a Discord about it: https://discord.gg/EVbeZY5vq7
Here's the main details on the AT&T bypass.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13gucfDOf8X9ptkj5BOg12V0xcqqDZDnvROJpW5CIpJ4/edit?pli=1#heading=h.l4gd8awu81qf

It requires a specific device from AT&T, a specific ONT, and support for some unusual VLAN configurations on the WAN port to make it work but people have them linked up to all the major open source router platforms plus Unifi successfully.

That's actually one of the reasons I got the 2/2 to start instead of just going with 1/1 and using the equipment I have for now, lower tiers of service might not get the right device from AT&T.

e.pilot posted:

You could get quad port 10gbe card and shove that in a SFF whatever that has a pcie slot
Yeah that's the current plan B, but I just wanted to make sure there weren't any Protectli/Qotom style integrated boxes with 5G or multigig-compatible 10G interfaces I was missing.

I have a pair of ConnectX3 dual port 40G cards around so slapping a pair of QSFP>SFP converters in one to use it as a 10G device is definitely on the table, though I would prefer something that can support multigig modes just in case the bypass stops working some day and I'm stuck falling back to having the ISP box in front. Intel X710-T4L looks perfect for my wants but isn't cheap.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cyks posted:

I've run all this before. PfSense, m0n0wall, etc, to good effect. I even sold a stack of repurposed old IBM terminals on here for people to use.

I just kinda like the unifi structure and management, tbh. I have a USG and some APs now, performance is fantastic. I consider switching to something else for routing and keeping the APs, but then I have to figure out and run an entirely separate setup for cameras. All the camera software seems like absolute horrible dogshit.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I'm still rocking an EdgeRouter 4 which has been super reliable..

I figure if I ever want a firewall better than UniFi's, I'd just pick up a Firewalla Purple SE, slap that in front of the ER-4 and be done with it.

Geez, I just got an alert that the UISP EdgeRouter 12 (a rebranded EdgeMax EdgeRouter 12P) just came back in stock.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

That Works posted:

Yeah i bought a lil celeron powered HP S01 refurbed for like $140 and an intel quad NIC and set up OPNsense and called it a day

Reminds me of the heady days of m0n0wall.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Beef Of Ages posted:

Reminds me of the heady days of m0n0wall.

I’m not familiar. What’s that one?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That Works posted:

It was the original FreeBSD based firewall appliance, but it used ipfilter by Darren Reed instead of ipfw or pf.
It was quite popular on Soekris hardware.

EDIT: The way it saved its configuration to a separate filesystem in /cfg was also quite revolutionary for its time, and is the reason why things like NanoBSD and TrueNAS is partitioned the way it is, to this day.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 1, 2023

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

That Works posted:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It was the original FreeBSD based firewall appliance, but it used ipfilter by Darren Reed instead of ipfw or pf.
It was quite popular on Soekris hardware.

EDIT: The way it saved its configuration to a separate filesystem in /cfg was also quite revolutionary for its time, and is the reason why things like NanoBSD and TrueNAS is partitioned the way it is, to this day.

Yup. You can catch up on (ancient) history at m0n0.ch/wall but it was great before OPNsense was a thing. I had an old Dell optiplex box that had passive cooling in the Celeron CPU plus an SD card so the thing was fully solid state. Revolutionary for 2002; good times were had by all.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

what on earth

someone's been getting into Asrock's :catdrugs:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

withoutclass posted:

My ubiquiti setup was massively improved by upgrading to a UDM Pro. To be fair I was coming from a USGv3 which seemed to be pretty terrible to me, but the UDM Pro has been rock solid with multiple vlans and SSIDs. I'm sure my network isn't particularly complicated compared to what others may have, especially if you are looking for fine grained control of IPtables type rules etc, but it's been great for me.

Dont get me wrong, I’m not saying the UDM Pro is a terrible device, but for anyone who is looking for a stand alone router who just wants something easy to configure with VLANs, a gig of throughout and some ACLs can save $300 and get an edge router X, or TP-Link r605.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
a dual/quad port x86 SBC from aliexpress for $150 + opnsense is the move imo, unless you’ve got hardware laying around or some sort of unique need

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

For the aliexpress router is the n5105 still the best bang/buck cpu at this point?

I will be going to 1.5Gb+ fibre at some point so need the 2.5 wan ports.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

priznat posted:

For the aliexpress router is the n5105 still the best bang/buck cpu at this point?

I will be going to 1.5Gb+ fibre at some point so need the 2.5 wan ports.

pretty much, you could probably get away with a j4125 but the price difference is so minimal why bother

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there a good beginners guide to setting up something like pfsense or opnsense with common features that folks have used? I kind of want to get one of those boxes and replace my aging USG.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there a good beginners guide to setting up something like pfsense or opnsense with common features that folks have used? I kind of want to get one of those boxes and replace my aging USG.

https://www.youtube.com/@LAWRENCESYSTEMS Lawrence Systems has some great tutorial videos that walk you through setting up pfSense. I'd start there.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Lawrence Systems on YouTube has really good “getting started” videos for a bunch of pfsense features if you like video guides.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Awesome. I just have to think which of the systems I want but that dual 2.5GBe one posted earlier seems solid.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

This is more small office rather than home office but I just installed two 40f fortigates with UTM subscriptions in the first of 50 locations and while it went perfectly fine, while setting them up I was struggling to determine what value we are actually getting out of it. I went with fortigates because that’s what we have at our main branch, but I’m half tempted to install netgates instead. I’m not using FortiManager/forticloud/etc and switches/APs are Aruba Instant On so I’m not even getting a single pane of glass.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
I've read through the OP but was looking to see if there was a specific recommendation for this use case:

Me and some buddies will be splitting a Starlink setup for a few months and I'm looking for a solution that will let me be a mini-ISP. Basically I'd like to either do throttling per MAC address or a username and password without buying a whole commercial suite. Either percent of available connection or speed per user. Is there a 'roll my own ISP' hardware/software solution?

I've previously split a metered satellite connection and 'someone' always used up all the bandwidth before the end of the month so I'd like to work something out ahead of time. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
throttling via opnsense is trivial, lots of tutorials out there

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Per this thread I went with an n5105 (quad 2.5gbps) from AliExpress and opnsense and have been very happy with it. I actually got a bit of a speed bump as well based on Usenet performance which is about the only thing that can consistently saturate my gig fiber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

e.pilot posted:

throttling via opnsense is trivial, lots of tutorials out there

Thanks! I've heard of pfSense but not this before. Appreciate it.