Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Alternatively, how comfortable are you with insurance fraud OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashmyradio
May 1, 2021

Mustache Ride posted:

they start the removal and find knob and tube and lead pipes and asbestos and whoops

This was a concern I had as well. I've heard asbestos isn't common around here but the lead pipes could be, and other general plumbing issues. It's such a good price on good land, and we'd be willing to pay like $100k to make it livable but I'm not sure that would be sufficient for this much dank.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

smashmyradio posted:

further issues such as an illegal cesspit instead of a normal septic tank for modern humans

Lol how is this possible in 2023? OP offer them like 20k and see if they’ll cut their losses. But really do not buy the house.

smashmyradio
May 1, 2021

That Works posted:

Very Uncomfortable Of Course
tell me more

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
buy dank strains, not dank houses

smashmyradio
May 1, 2021

ohhyeah posted:

Lol how is this possible in 2023? OP offer them like 20k and see if they’ll cut their losses. But really do not buy the house.

Lol yeah they claimed that it was "grandfathered in" and they have never had issues with it for the whole 50 or 60 years they lived there, and the house itself was built in 1900. So aside from the mould, my next concern is environmental contamination heh

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I think it's a pretty straight-forward answer: do you have the money to buy the house, strip the house to the bones, remodel the house, and maintain the house?

If the answer is anything less than 4/4 yes, do not buy the dank house

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The existence of this house's for sale listing only makes sense if you are optimistic about techbros resuming their algorithmic cash offer system.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Eason the Fifth posted:

I think it's a pretty straight-forward answer: do you have the money to buy the house, strip the house to the bones, remodel the house, and maintain the house?

If the answer is anything less than 4/4 yes, do not buy the dank house

Don't forget the money to remediate to poop-lagoon.

And water pollution remediation is even more eye-watering that the stank that comes out of you break the crust.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That Works posted:

There's a $5000 or $10,000 limit on mold remediation, and the testing costs are taken out of it.

You have to have a covered loss first to trigger any mold endorsement.

It's academic since the loss pre-dates acquisition. A covered loss also has to be within the policy period.

Mold issues are a boondoggle for mold remediation companies. There's a super-high spore count in the house (which can irritate your mucous membranes but will not cause any other illness unless you have underlying pulmonary issues) because there is an ongoing water penetration issue, and it sounds like one that's been going on for years. So your chief concern here is not mold, but the ongoing water issue and what it has rotted in the way of framing.

If the moisture issue can be solved AND there are no structural integrity issues as a consequence of ongoing rot, or termites, or carpenter ants, the house is likely a great deal because everyone else is freaked out by mold. You should have the entire vacant house sprayed/treated with a mildewcide after the water source is dealt with. You won't have any problems after that.

Add $30K to install a proper septic system. Unless you're near a natural water feature: them double or triple that.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 1, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

smashmyradio posted:

Hello, hope this is a reasonable place to ask this but... mouldy houses???

I'm looking to buy a house and I found a dream house I can afford but it is seriously mouldy. It's a 120 years old, 1270sqft, two stories with a dugout basement. There's an area where the roof leaked and they fixed the roof but not the ceiling. There's all this water staining down the walls, mould in the corners, probably stank but I was wearing a respirator. Even on the main floor, there was some real condensation on the windows and even a little on the walls, so it seems to just be poorly ventilated altogether. Sounds gross for sure, and I figured it was beyond rescue but I actually viewed this house 6 months ago and it's still on the market, and still on my mind. They even reduced the price by 50k.

Is it possible to remediate this in any way? Can i just rip off the second story and build a new one? I'm not interested in living with the mould whatsoever, and there are further issues such as an illegal cesspit instead of a normal septic tank for modern humans, so maybe i'm wasting my time. But I really want to know what my other options are.

All google can offer me is "get professional mould removal" which does not seem adequate. Does anyone have some experience in dank houses? Or a better idea of where I should post this?

If you have to ask you shouldn't do this. It will literally cost more to remediate this house than to build a new one on the same land. So unless this is a dream house and you have money to burn it's a non starter. It sounds like youre coming at this from the "maybe I can save some money" and you can not.

And don't worry you're automatically protected because you will not be able to get a mortgage on a place in this kind of shape.

smashmyradio
May 1, 2021

Motronic posted:

It will literally cost more to remediate this house than to build a new one on the same land.

Alright this was the simplification I didn't know I needed lol. I was blinded by the built-in museum display cases and sheer number of peculiar drawers.

Thanks everyone for talking me out of dank house, appreciate the insight!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

smashmyradio posted:

Alright this was the simplification I didn't know I needed lol. I was blinded by the built-in museum display cases and sheer number of peculiar drawers.

See, stuff like that is awesome. And old houses are awesome, and restoring them is awesome. But that's a luxury and a wealthy person's hobby, not a cost saving measure for buying a house.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

smashmyradio posted:

If you're not purchasing it, (wouldn't want you to dox yourself) we need a Zillow link, cause it sounds awesome.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Not sure if dryers are standardized enough that everyone would know to answer to this, but here goes! I finally got tired of our dryer door being backwards for loading from the washer so I swapped it per the dryer instructions. Unfortunately, the screws on the dryer that needed to be removed to put the door on were stripped, and were in so tight that I couldn't even remove the entire screw; in the process of trying to get the screw off (first drilling a pilot hole, then using some home depot "stripped screw removal" bits, and finally jamming a torx bit in it just rotated/snapped the screw head off, leaving the threaded portion of the machine screw inside, which promptly fell into the void (I'm assuming) between the inner and outer walls of the dryer. Not sure if I was doing anything wrong, or these were super special screws (normal cross-tip heads, but when I pulled one out without it breaking, I noticed it had brown/orange threads for some reason). I REALLY want to get that threaded section out of the dryer wall, but I can't see any way that's possible. My last issue I'm trying to figure out is if I need to buy replacement machine screws to "plug" the now open holes in the dryer. Here's what it looks like:

the top screw is the one I was able to remove normally, the bottom is the super screw that now sits inside the dryer forever, and the door hinge screws into those two. and the other side of the dryer mirrors it with two now empty screw holes where the door used to be screws on. Do they all need to be plugged with replacement machine screws? The original "placeholder" screws originally didn't hold anything, they were just there, so maybe there is a reason, but I couldn't tell what it is.

I'll probably get some posts here on how there are better ways to remove stripped screws, too, which I'm ok with learning; I can't believe how much metal shavings can come from one tiny screw head, and I'm keeping the fan running until the burnt metal smell goes away.

Edit: Turns out I took a picture of one of the placeholder screws that gave me so much trouble. looks like its maybe just rust.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 1, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

There's a $5000 or $10,000 limit on mold remediation, and the testing costs are taken out of it.

Who said anything about mold remediation? This is a fire claim.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Inner Light posted:

There is generally no singular online place in 2023 for manuals, usually manufacturer site is best. For older models it is hit or miss whether the manufacturer will provide old PDFs.

For everything else there is google and random bot generated SEO’d search results you can pay for.

If you provide the model # we can look, but you may have exhausted the search already.

Yeah I've done my best to look around and mostly all I can find is for the newer Bosch model. Seeing that hilariously almost all the important parts are the same part # really makes me reluctant to replace mine with the newer one. The model I have is the Bosch WAP24200UC. Need a bucket and a mop for this etc etc.

Looking around online it looks like I almost certainly just need to take the stacked dryer off and pull the top back off the washer to properly remove the front panel. If I don't post in like 5 days please send them to recover my body below a Bosch dryer.

PageMaster posted:

Edit: Turns out I took a picture of one of the placeholder screws that gave me so much trouble. looks like its maybe just rust.

That looks like a stainless screw which would not rust. I think that's red loctite.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I've done my best to look around and mostly all I can find is for the newer Bosch model. Seeing that hilariously almost all the important parts are the same part # really makes me reluctant to replace mine with the newer one. The model I have is the Bosch WAP24200UC. Need a bucket and a mop for this etc etc.

Looking around online it looks like I almost certainly just need to take the stacked dryer off and pull the top back off the washer to properly remove the front panel. If I don't post in like 5 days please send them to recover my body below a Bosch dryer.

That looks like a stainless screw which would not rust. I think that's red loctite.

Oh wow, thanks! now I'm more curious; it's only on those two screws, which were just screwed into those two holes and just needed to be removed to screw the door into their place. That at least explains why it was so miserable to remove them (well, the one I was able to).

Edit: Turns out there's a bunch of videos on youtube about reversing the door, some even by Samsung; despite the manual not saying it, they all say to replace all the extra screws. Interestingly, they also all say to replace the two screws that were holding the door latch holder/lock even though you're now putting the door hinge over them (and the hinge may not lay flush with the frame). It looks like the purpose of all the screws is to maybe just keep the front frame assembly together, particularly the front of the dryer and the metal plate right behind it that the door hinge screws into. It also turns out I can get that lost screw thread if I take the entire front assembly off, but after watching the process I've decided that's probably not worth it.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 1, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

H110Hawk posted:

Who said anything about mold remediation? This is a fire claim.
Mold house is too damp to burn

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My friend is looking for a rental in her current school district. I like to scan listings for her because I've lived here longer and can quickly tell which locations are viable.
There's one modern house that's an incredible price, being sold as "to be demolised" for the land only.

A few years ago, the previous residents were murdered by their son in this house. It was a pretty big news story locally.

I think that most goons would leap at the price and ignore the ghosts, but does anyone have any anecdotes about living in an (in)famous house? Randoms showing up and taking photos? Bad relationships with neighbors?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with "accident" properties.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

DaveSauce posted:

Around here it's generally fescue, bermuda, or zoysia.

Might look into if there's an adapted buffalograss for your region. For AZ/socal there's a variant called UC Verde that doesn't flower so no seeds, stops growing at 6" so it doesn't really need mowing, and will stay green with 1/2" water a week.

There's also a Texas-climate adapted one from A&M I know of and several for Colorado climate. So it seems plausible there's one for most zones.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

peanut posted:

My friend is looking for a rental in her current school district. I like to scan listings for her because I've lived here longer and can quickly tell which locations are viable.
There's one modern house that's an incredible price, being sold as "to be demolised" for the land only.

A few years ago, the previous residents were murdered by their son in this house. It was a pretty big news story locally.

I think that most goons would leap at the price and ignore the ghosts, but does anyone have any anecdotes about living in an (in)famous house? Randoms showing up and taking photos? Bad relationships with neighbors?

When we were home shopping we very nearly put an offer in on a gorgeous house in a great neighborhood that was way under market value in the same circumstances. Son murdered his mother inside the house, and that was enough to keep everyone away. I still wanted to put an offer in, but my wife looked up the details of the case and we found that the son was eligible for release within 5 years. The thought of him showing up one day was enough for her to put the veto in.

smashmyradio
May 1, 2021

Slugworth posted:

If you're not purchasing it, (wouldn't want you to dox yourself) we need a Zillow link, cause it sounds awesome.

Unfortunately none of the cool cabinets (or mould) are in the listing photos :( No photos of the second story at all actually.
It just looks like an old gaudy house...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11823-Highway-8-Kempt-NS-B0T-1B0/2064144664_zpid/

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
From the pictures that actually doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would. But at 120 years old and the aforementioned problems you would want like 5 different inspectors and estimates for fixing everything before even considering an offer. If they even let you do that (not sure why they would unless they were desperate to unload) you would negotiate that into the price. The Zillow also said the owners have lived there for 52 years and I’m sure they didn’t do any real maintenance in the last 10 years at least.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

peanut posted:

I have handled several losses involving suicides and murders. My experience is that, in most cases, the surviving family members don't return to the property and it is immediately sold.

In zero cases was the house demolished.

The only demo I have seen was a cat hoarder. They found dead cats in the walls. There was so much waste material that the floor covering and the floor framing below were saturated. Crews tried to get the odor out, bur between that and the corroded electrics, they opted to raze & rebuild.

Municipalities vary on disclosure requirements. Doesn't bother most people, Any house that's been around long enough has had folks die it it; houses built before 1920 generally had wakes in the parlour anyway. Two people have died (not all at once!) in my mom's house: my mom, and her husband (who passed in my old bedroom).

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

smashmyradio posted:

Unfortunately none of the cool cabinets (or mould) are in the listing photos :( No photos of the second story at all actually.
It just looks like an old gaudy house...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11823-Highway-8-Kempt-NS-B0T-1B0/2064144664_zpid/

I'm gonna go against the nay-sayers and tell you it might be worth looking at. Get an inspection, get some mold remediation contractors out to give you quotes, and definitely get some septic quotes and check on potential permitting issues. $100k should be plenty to fix up that house (unless you wanna start remodeling kitchens and bathrooms)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Okay, my ability to Google is failing me. I'm finishing up drawings for a deck off the back of my house.

There is currently 3 steps down to a concrete patio. I'm going to be raising that and the decking will be within an inch of the inside floor level.

The question -- I'm also going to have a gable roof patio cover over part of the deck. Ohio Revised Code says that the patio cover cannot be more than 12' high, but does not specify what height it's measured from. Right now I'm at 11'6" to the peak from the deck, but that's 13'6" from the concrete patio.

One other option -- I found it before, but it's escaped me. The "height" measurement of a peaked roof structure is not the physical peak, but an average factoring in the height of the roof section with width.

Does any of this ring a bell for someone?

Nevermind, found it: "HEIGHT, BUILDING. The vertical distance from grade plane to the average
height of the highest roof surface."

So I have to run the numbers on the roof, it's gonna be close.

Edit2: Had to lose 6" of height. Not critical.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 1, 2023

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

But Moe. The dank, Moe. The dank!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The average of the highest makes my eye twitch

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Epitope posted:

The average of the highest makes my eye twitch

That's Govm't talk.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My basement has wood paneling all around it but it has space behind it.

There's basically no way to put up any kind of shelving or anything more than a couple pounds, if that, right? Better served just to get more bookcases?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The paneling is presumably mounted to something. If there's studs you can attach the shelves to, they'd be fine. However, I would not rely on the paneling itself supporting any significant weight.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

PainterofCrap posted:

Municipalities vary on disclosure requirements. Doesn't bother most people, Any house that's been around long enough has had folks die it it; houses built before 1920 generally had wakes in the parlour anyway. Two people have died (not all at once!) in my mom's house: my mom, and her husband (who passed in my old bedroom).
The PO of my house died in the basement, just kinda keeled over down there from what I understand. People ask if this bothers me, and I say why would it? When you die, there are two options; indoors and outdoors. The house was built in '26, so the chances of more than one person having expired here are pretty high.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

People having died in a house is very different than what started this discussion: would you live in a murder house? If so, just how recent is too recent for the murder to have taken place? And/or does it depend on how it went down and the amount of media coverage?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Motronic posted:

People having died in a house is very different than what started this discussion: would you live in a murder house? If so, just how recent is too recent for the murder to have taken place? And/or does it depend on how it went down and the amount of media coverage?

I wouldn’t care at all as long as it was otherwise a great house and the murder caused no damage unaccounted for in the value I am acquiring it for. There is no timeframe too recent for me, as long as again there is no damage, smells, or any effects from the murder unaccounted for based on value.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Inner Light posted:

I wouldn’t care at all as long as it was otherwise a great house and the murder caused no damage unaccounted for in the value I am acquiring it for. There is no timeframe too recent for me, as long as again there is no damage, smells, or any effects from the murder unaccounted for based on value.

Same, though if it attracted significant country wide attention I'd be more hesitant. People probably still throw pizzas on that one house from Breaking Bad.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah if the question is purely does it freak me out / do I believe in ghosts then no, not at all.

If it publicizes my house any further or people connected to the murder might have a reason to visit the property then no thanks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Dave posted:

Yeah if the question is purely does it freak me out / do I believe in ghosts then no, not at all.

If it publicizes my house any further or people connected to the murder might have a reason to visit the property then no thanks.

That's pretty much where I land on it too.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just hire a spirit inspection contractor during your contingency period to check for ghost, ghouls, banshees, fairies, liches, and other assorted supernatural beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Same, though if it attracted significant country wide attention I'd be more hesitant. People probably still throw pizzas on that one house from Breaking Bad.
Well yeah, obviously nobody is gonna move into a pizza house. We're talking about murder houses though.

Personally, if the price is right, I'll help the coroner carry the body out.