Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Updates breaking saves and forcing me to restart is basically why I'm waiting for the full release before I start playing again, I'm not a big fan for restarting a game from scratch over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess with the new physics engine, those wild hyper cannon constructs are a goner.

Maybe. This is supposed to be a change to vehicle physics and won't necessarily effect hypertubes. They've said in the past that they like hypertube launchers and don't want to get rid of them, if they do it's going to be a major change to the game unless they replace it with something comparable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess with the new physics engine, those wild hyper cannon constructs are a goner.

Maybe, maybe not. There are a lot of different types of "physics" in the game engine. Hypercannons work via the character movement physics. The stuff like new vehicle physics or UE5 chaos physics (cool capes and scarves for fortnight characters) are different systems from character movement.

I don't know if UE4 to UE5 made big, or even any, changes to the standard character movement stuff. My guess would be that those are old, heavily conserved parts of the engine that date way back to like UT days and haven't changed much.

If betting on outcomes, my odds from most likely to least would be:
1. cannons will still work, but need new designs (particularly for the "tuned" ones like mine that are very consistent / stable, because the sweet spot will change)
2. nothing changes
3. cannons become impossible

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
If cannons become impossible I would put good money on them being implemented officially in some form shortly thereafter.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Or a mod will fix it immediately.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It'll fix the physics that allow for hypercannons while also introducing some other new physics bug to replace them.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

I have long distance hypertubes set up between my basis. The entrances of those are set up as linear accelerators, so I zip across the map in 10 seconds or so. I find that a bit more user friendly, since any kind of cannon just results in a screen full of fog and the game hitching and stuttering. Safer and you don't see much along the way with a cannon anyway.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Give us a hypertube pump that works like a fluid pump

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

ymgve posted:

Give us a hypertube pump that works like a fluid pump

:haibrow:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Make jelly pads cost no power. Why does a jelly pad need to be powered?

e: this is a general complaint and I trust it has nothing to do with physics engine limitations

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Make jelly pads cost no power. Why does a jelly pad need to be powered?

e: this is a general complaint and I trust it has nothing to do with physics engine limitations

Gotta heat it just a tiny bit, or it would solidify and just bounce you off of course.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

Gotta heat it just a tiny bit, or it would solidify and just bounce you off of course.

I do not see the issue with this

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I figure it's so you have to build infrastructure around it rather that just setting up waystations out in the middle of nowhere. Before they realized people are just going to yeet themselves for kilometers and hope the jetpack doesnt run out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Have you guys ever tried jumping into a pile of non-electrified goo to arrest your fall? It doesn't work.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

zoux posted:

Have you guys ever tried jumping into a pile of non-electrified goo to arrest your fall? It doesn't work.
Cave Johnson here. This next test is simple: just jump into the pile of non-electrified goo down below. Don't worry, the science boys tell me it'll work. Besides, that's why we've got you drinking that strontium-fortified milk. Tastes like a bad day at the races, but the results are undeniable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It would be cool if you could flush production lines like you can pipes because woe betide you if you hook an input belt into the wrong machine because now you have to rebuild the entire logistics chain to get. all. the. loving. screws. out.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if the endpoint isn't a million branches you could hook the end into a storage container

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
yeah I throw a smart splitter on the end and filter out the junk into a bin

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Satisfactory: The goo needs to be electrified

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TK-42-1 posted:

I figure it's so you have to build infrastructure around it rather that just setting up waystations out in the middle of nowhere. Before they realized people are just going to yeet themselves for kilometers and hope the jetpack doesnt run out.

The absolute maximum 'infrastructure' I'm setting up for a jump pad in the red forest or whatever is a biofuel plant with a stick shoved in it lmao get real

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 29, 2023

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I've finally reached the point where I'm going to tackle nuclear power for the first time.

This is going to take some effort.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I remember my first nuke plant being an absolute clusterfuck

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I just made mine in my last playthrough and had to fix a bunch of errors at least 10 times. Mine was luckily extremely unecessary because of fuel power excess so the entire factory didn't die but drat, that was a lot of fidgeting

Know that if you go through a hypertube you can drop waste out of your inventory and it'll disappear forever.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

ziasquinn posted:

I just use a faster manual crafting mod, just fly mod, global foundation grid alignment mod and uhhhhhhhhh AUTO KILL.

i'm never gonna set up hypertubes. idc

There's a global grid in the game on its own now, for what it's worth.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GjKn5KyAd0

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Only 8 whole coupons?!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I was looking to get back into this, but apparently I missed a LOT in the last update.

Tried to start in the dune desert, but I'm not sure if it got reworked because I wasn't able to find a single copper node. I remember copper used to be pretty basic, did they change a lot of recipes to not require it?

I tried to look up a map of nodes for update 7, but turns out there's 6 updates of outdated maps on google so finding anything took too long.

is there a shorter version of patch notes?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Moose posted:

I was looking to get back into this, but apparently I missed a LOT in the last update.

Tried to start in the dune desert, but I'm not sure if it got reworked because I wasn't able to find a single copper node.

Uh, there is definitely plenty of copper in the dune desert. Hold 'v' and select copper from the scanner wheel to ping the nearest ones.

Or if you're already doing that, you might want to try verifying files?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'd rather they post the intended Update 8 trailer instead of some April fools poo poo.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'd rather they post the intended Update 8 trailer instead of some April fools poo poo.

They did a full video about how Update 8 will be an upgrade to Unreal Engine 5.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Klyith posted:

Uh, there is definitely plenty of copper in the dune desert. Hold 'v' and select copper from the scanner wheel to ping the nearest ones.

Or if you're already doing that, you might want to try verifying files?

oh, weird, I had a bunch of invisible nodes. No idea how that happened.

also, found a giant lizard doggo

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Might be April fools stuff, they add stuff to the game.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Moose posted:

also, found a giant lizard doggo

it's April 1st and the devs have never met a joke that they wouldn't :regd08:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

they're just like us for real

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone happen to try Satisfactory on a Steam deck via Heroic/epic launcher (I guess it is on steam now anyway but I have it on epic)?

Probably a real battery life killer :haw:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ymgve posted:

They did a full video about how Update 8 will be an upgrade to Unreal Engine 5.
There's other stuff coming with Update 8 tho.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Too bad the video yesterday was posted. Now we will never know.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Nanite will be a big change if it can stop my world from looking like this every time I use a hypercannon.

I have to make sure to land on things I've built or I'll fall into the void and die.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's other stuff coming with Update 8 tho.

Oh! I assumed the engine change was enough work that they didn’t have time to do any other features

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Nanite will be a big change if it can stop my world from looking like this every time I use a hypercannon.

I have to make sure to land on things I've built or I'll fall into the void and die.
I had a similar problem with the Teleporters mod, where if I teleport from one chunk to another it takes a moment for the terrain to load in and it's just enough of a delay that I fall through the ground. It's easy enough to solve by putting a foundation underneath though.